Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

bad news for jimmy/Jim Irsay arrested (((merge)))

CantBeStopped

#TeamStraightEdge

I don't live the straight edge lifestyle per say, but when people would ask me that was the easiest way to describe it. I'm no saint, and partied in the early days... but have devoted myself to a clean lifestyle over the last 5 years. I don't even drink soda.

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 17, 2014 - name calling
Hidden by Nadine, March 17, 2014 - name calling

Some of you are way out of touch with reality. #toolbags

Irsay has a history of substance abuse. It seems those demons still lurk. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he finds the help he needs.

There's been a lot of talk the past few years about the state of his health. His physical appearance has changed quite a bit in the last 8-10 years. His mugshot looks awful. It looks like a guy whose lived a hard life, not a guy who owns a successful sports team and is valued at over a billion dollars.

I personally believe that Jim has had some serious health issues over the past few years. I think that whatever it was/is has been dealt with because he seems like a healthy guy now, but he's depleted from what he used to be. This could possibly be a manifestation of that. It's hard to say. He's been noticeably quiet on twitter as of late.

Whatever he's going through, the team will march on. I certainly hope he can bounce back from this and pepper us all with his cryptic tweets.

I don't think that people should (metaphorically speaking) dance on an addict's grave. Addiction is a true disease.

What I do think is justified criticism is the driving part of it. He's a big time millionaire. Hire a permanent limo driver.

I don't live the straight edge lifestyle per say, but when people would ask me that was the easiest way to describe it. I'm no saint, and partied in the early days... but have devoted myself to a clean lifestyle over the last 5 years. I don't even drink soda.

Too many calories in booze. :)

Will likely plead down. Do the classes and help out organizations who deal with these types of situations.

I guess now they'll debate the moral side of the system allowing that instead of jail time... :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure about that.  In 2002 Irsay's doctor got investigated and sanctioned, and that was that.  But I think it depends on where Irsay got the prescription drugs, if he is able and ready to come totally clean and provide names of those doctors who gave him the drugs, etc.  And that doesn't get into the volume - if the volume he was caught with is in the 'for sale' range as opposed to 'personal use' range, the state may well not have an interest in accepting a substantial reduction in charges. 

To those arguing to about the likes of Boyett etc., saying how can we let this slide with Jim when we've booted players to the kerb for it. It's very simple, he owns the freaking franchise! The only way he gets "booted" is if the NFL step in and even then I think at worse it would be a encouraged to "step down" in lieu of his daughter. 

Is it a double standard? Yes but that's the way of the world. For instance, where I work we each have a company car and as you can imagine the rules for conduct are a bit stricter than if it was your own vehicle (they're tracked for once thing so yeah best keep the speed down!). However my boss, who owns the company, got caught drink driving and had his license suspended for a year. Now if that had been one of us, then out the door we would have gone but when you own the company it's a different story. Unfair? Sure. Does it insult my ideals of equality? Sure. Did I still yuck it up and ferry the man around for that year? You bet :P

I do not think you will have to worry about that. The NFL is going to make an example out of Irsay. I expect a huge fine ($1 million?) and I think it will cost the team some draft picks too. Just fining a billionaire owner doesn't do much but taking away draft picks gets everyone's attention and in this case, I hope the fans. Perhaps they will order him to step aside. I would be all for any of these things even if it hurts the Colts a bit in the short run.

I don't think this will have a negative impact on guy signing with us or wanting to come here Irsay's arrest didn't change the fact the we still have a franchise QB and a high powered offense I mean if guys are still signing in Cleveland I think were ok  don't think it changes much maybe for Irsay it does but not the team life goes on  

I do not think you will have to worry about that. The NFL is going to make an example out of Irsay. I expect a huge fine ($1 million?) and I think it will cost the team some draft picks too. Just fining a billionaire owner doesn't do much but taking away draft picks gets everyone's attention and in this case, I hope the fans. Perhaps they will order him to step aside. I would be all for any of these things even if it hurts the Colts a bit in the short run.

The precedent would surely come from the Denver situation being the most recent example of something similar and I don't believe any action was taken against the team. 

They aren't taking draft picks away.

It will but not this year. I look for part of the NFL punishment to be taking away some draft picks. If they really want to get everyone's attention they would take away an entire draft but that won't do that.

Malarkey! The NFL will not be taking draft picks away from us

Call down. NFL locker rooms accept guys who killed people. I don't think the team is going to disband because the owner got a DUI.

Correct, but the NFL suspends players for this same thing.  The league should suspend him from any activity for the remainder of this year unless they want to show two faces.  You can't demand the players stay away from drugs and look the other way when an owner is bagged.

It will but not this year. I look for part of the NFL punishment to be taking away some draft picks. If they really want to get everyone's attention they would take away an entire draft but that won't do that.

No, Goodell is a just commissioner.  He knows the Richardson trade is punishment enough. 

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 17, 2014 - namecalling
Hidden by Nadine, March 17, 2014 - namecalling

No they won't and that's ridiculous. I've agreed and liked a lot of what you have had to say but don't punish the team for the actions of an imbecile and immoral owner.  The fans and the city can't really help that and by taking draft picks that is who the NFL would be hurting.  I really hope that he gets fined something huge that makes an impact on him and wouldn't even be opposed to him being forced to give up the team but don't hurt the fans for the actions of one immoral *.

He does not have any prescription for his drugs, meaning they were bought illegally or something along those lines.

He had an addiction to prescription painkillers in 2002. I hope he doesn't have an addiction.

he didn't have the script with him, doesn't mean he doesn't have one

I have a problem with reports coming out saying that individuals inside the organization were concerned. Maybe it's just me, but if you know someone is in trouble and needs help, you should try to help that person.

They did, he refused.

Booze and soda both. This wizard has to watch his figure.

Yep. Sadly, Jaric has noticed as he's grown older there has become "more of him" than there should be. Been working on cutting out saturated fats, sugar, and artificial sweeteners as well as switching to more natural foods with ingredients I can pronounce.

Makes grocery shopping interesting...

No they won't and that's ridiculous. I've agreed and liked a lot of what you have had to say but don't punish the team for the actions of an imbecile and immoral owner.  The fans and the city can't really help that and by taking draft picks that is who the NFL would be hurting.  I really hope that he gets fined something huge that makes an impact on him and wouldn't even be opposed to him being forced to give up the team but don't hurt the fans for the actions of one immoral *.

I agree that the punishment should be geared more towards Irsay than the team; however, I would never suggest taking away the team. He possesses ownership stake of an enterprise in a capitalistic economy. That would set an egregious precedent. Not to mention, if we could strip someone of ownership of a company for making poor choices, our unemployment rate would skyrocket. Also, I really don't want to see my beloved Colts tied up in litigation for the next decade. 

They aren't going to take any draft picks away. You're being dramatic.

Correct, but the NFL suspends players for this same thing. The league should suspend him from any activity for the remainder of this year unless they want to show two faces. You can't demand the players stay away from drugs and look the other way when an owner is bagged.

Mr. Irsay will likely go into treatment if all is true, and his daughter will take over day to day operations of the team while he is away... or at least I'd think that is how it would work.

Correct, but the NFL suspends players for this same thing. The league should suspend him from any activity for the remainder of this year unless they want to show two faces. You can't demand the players stay away from drugs and look the other way when an owner is bagged.

I have two thoughts about this. The first is that some time away to "get his mind right" could be very helpful. At the same time, so could the support of the locker room.

I have a problem with reports coming out saying that individuals inside the organization were concerned. Maybe it's just me, but if you know someone is in trouble and needs help, you should try to help that person.

It's hard when that person is in a position of seniority over you, and I'm not just talking professionally. 

Even then, unless they really want to be helped, it's nigh on impossible to help someone unless you're willing to take drastic measures. 

People are quick to judge and slow to understand... I don't know your pressure, struggles or problems Mr. Irsay but I do know that I am not qualified to judge you, there is only ONE who can do that.   All I can say is I will PRAY for you in your time of need.  I pray that whatever your needs are God will meet them and help you get what you need and where you need to go.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 17, 2014 - name calling
Hidden by Nadine, March 17, 2014 - name calling

God he's dumb.... First, when asked about Peyton all he says is that he should have earned him more rings... Now he's intoxicated... so freakin dumb

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone said something like that.

:clap:

Congratulations sir!

Yep. Sadly, Jaric has noticed as he's grown older there has become "more of him" than there should be. Been working on cutting out saturated fats, sugar, and artificial sweeteners as well as switching to more natural foods with ingredients I can pronounce.

Makes grocery shopping interesting...

Isn't that the truth, you know you're over the hump when you start having to read the back of the packet before you can buy. :( 

I agree that the punishment should be geared more towards Irsay than the team; however, I would never suggest taking away the team. He possesses ownership stake of an enterprise in a capitalistic economy. That would set an egregious precedent. Not to mention, if we could strip someone of ownership of a company for making poor choices, our unemployment rate would skyrocket. Also, I really don't want to see my beloved Colts tied up in litigation for the next decade. 

It wouldn't set any precedent.  DeBartolo was forced to resign as CEO of the 49ers after anticipated federal indictments on fraud, racketeering and bribery charges relating to his gambling dealings in Louisiana.  If Haslam of the Browns is convicted of federal fraud charges in the Flying J case, he may too be asked or forced to step aside.  The NFL won't let felons run their franchises, and with Irsay's daughter a VP already, depending on where this case goes, it wouldn't shock me at all to have a change to her leadership.

He does not have any prescription for his drugs, meaning they were bought illegally or something along those lines.

He had an addiction to prescription painkillers in 2002. I hope he doesn't have an addiction.

Well, he's an addict. It's a life long fight for him and it's been painfully obvious that he was struggling for a while now... 

And that's why I'm actually relieved this finally happened. Maybe this is the perfect opportunity for him to get help for the sake of himself and his family.