Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

bad news for jimmy/Jim Irsay arrested (((merge)))

CantBeStopped

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get these people who claim a fan should be embarrassed.  Why?  I didn't give him anything to take.  I didn't let him drive.  It happens in life.  He might be embarrassed, but it doesn't reflect on me, or the organization, quite frankly.

I'm sure the commisioner and other owners will take appropriate actions.

Just calm down on the overreaction. :runforhills:

Shocked like  most by this occurance.   First instinct is outrage and disgust that he would do such a thing.   However,  don't like to jump to conclusions and judge someone without all the facts and information.  Glad that he was stopped and no one was hurt or injured.   Sure that more details will be coming out later today/tomorrow.   He hasn't looked well for quite some time and none of us know the pressures and issues in his personal life.   Hopefully he steps back and takes the steps needed to get himself back on track and well.

As soon as I saw the title I thought "Bet it has to do with him being drunk". Clicked the link and was not disappointed. I'm not at all surprised. He could be rivaling Jerry Jones and Woody Johnson as the worst owners in the NFL.

On ethics and morals absolutely, He has none at all but he is a way better owner than either of them. Look at the team he has put together in comparison to Jones or Johnson.  If it doesn't completely fall apart because of this he's built a franchise that has made it to the playoffs 9 out of the last 10 years and has been a perennial powerhouse in the NFL. Say whatever you want about how Irsay is a horrible addict with no ethics or morals but he is an amazing owner for this franchise.  I would take what he's done with this team over what any owner on any other team has been able to do over the last 10 years.

Oh MY God!!!

Irsay's in Jail, the players are going to mutiny and the NFL is going to disband the Colts!!! 

Geez, some of you overreact to everything. I do not condone in the slightest what Jim did, it was wrong and dumb, but geez people, relax. Will it destroy the Colt's rep, unlikely. Will it affect Irsay's reputation, yes. But if I know Pagano, this will not be an issue in the locker room and I doubt it affects us much in the long term. 

the commissioner hands down that type of discipline, not the team

Yes, the Commissioner disciplines, but not at the exclusion of the individual teams doing so as well. I seem to recall a player getting cut because of his behavior last year (Boyett), another off the tea for a good chunk of the year (Saunders), and yet another on pins and needles, unsure how the team would act (Brazill).

So the Colts just lost all respect as an organization. Just went from a team that lots of player want to play for to a team no one with any sense would want to play for. How does anyone like this team anymore with an owner with these issues. How do we as fans justify giving our money to an owner with these issues? As someone pointed out how do any players respect him after this. I would not be surprised if Luck, Wayne, Hilton, Davis all wanted out of Indianapolis after this. There is no way we are getting anyone we wanted anymore. I can't even imagine that any rookies we draft could want to come here.

Are you serious? You are getting too carried away. Yes, he should not have driven while intoxicated/under influence of controlled substance. Thankfully he did not hurt anyone. However, do you really think players will not sign here because of this incident?? As long as they are getting paid, they could care less.

I hope Mr. Irsay gets the help he needs.

There's no hard and fast rules about bonds, it's in the judges discretion. And when you have a known millionaire in front of you, the bond almost writes itself.

How could a judge have handed down a bond. They just now convened for the day.

In Denver...2 guys...one the director of player personell...was suspended (by the team) for DUI...and they checked into a substanecce priogram,

One guy actually hit some cars but no one was hurt...

Cant effectively suspend an owner...but I'm sure R. Godell will meet with Jim and there will be a fine for conduct detrimental to the NFL..

The exact same way as you would before this happened.

I mean: A constructive counter-argument from Brazill could never be: "Well, I now have reason to do drugs because the owner does it too". That's not really logical in any way. It'd be the exact same logic that would say: Well, because X commited this murder, I am allowed to murder X as well. It just isn't rational, because you failed to understand why everything ended up happening the way it did.

It'd be like saying: X person drove drunk then happened to hit a kid who died. The natural reaction is disgust over the action, followed by a condemnation of the person. But let's say X person drove drunk because he had a brain tumor: Wouldn't it be completely unconstructive to deny the removal of the brain tumor based on hatred, when we understand the actual cause of the problem?

???

I don't recall suggesting it would cause bad behavior or lead players to feel justified to misbehave. I think I said it would be more challenging to discipline bad behavior. Not at all the same.

Yes, the Commissioner disciplines, but not at the exclusion of the individual teams doing so as well. I seem to recall a player getting cut because of his behavior last year (Boyett), another off the tea for a good chunk of the year (Saunders), and yet another on pins and needles, unsure how the team would act (Brazill).

Irsay can effectively suspend himself...,,I know that sounds crazy..

..but he can simply step away from the team for a few months..

Are you serious? You are getting too carried away. Yes, he should not have driven while intoxicated/under influence of controlled substance. Thankfully he did not hurt anyone. However, do you really think players will not sign here because of this incident?? As long as they are getting paid, they could care less.

I hope Mr. Irsay gets the help he needs.

I think players will be more understanding than many of us

On ethics and morals absolutely, He has none at all but he is a way better owner than either of them. Look at the team he has put together in comparison to Jones or Johnson. If it doesn't completely fall apart because of this he's built a franchise that has made it to the playoffs 9 out of the last 10 years and has been a perennial powerhouse in the NFL. Say whatever you want about how Irsay is a horrible addict with no ethics or morals but he is an amazing owner for this franchise. I would take what he's done with this team over what any owner on any other team has been able to do over the last 10 years.

You sound completely different here than you did in your first post when you predicted doom and gloom.

???

I don't recall suggesting it would cause bad behavior or lead players to feel justified to misbehave. I think I said it would be more challenging to discipline bad behavior. Not at all the same.

It wasn't meant as an attack, or a direct contradiction of what you said (as you appear to have understood based on what you just wrote). More as a thought experiment that I thought you, or someone else might find interesting or useful.

On ethics and morals absolutely, He has none at all but he is a way better owner than either of them. Look at the team he has put together in comparison to Jones or Johnson. If it doesn't completely fall apart because of this he's built a franchise that has made it to the playoffs 9 out of the last 10 years and has been a perennial powerhouse in the NFL. Say whatever you want about how Irsay is a horrible addict with no ethics or morals but he is an amazing owner for this franchise. I would take what he's done with this team over what any owner on any other team has been able to do over the last 10 years.

No ethics or morals? Are you assuming he was swerving because he was eating babies? Sometimes decent people make mistakes. That doesn't made them void of redeeming qualities.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 17, 2014 - name calling
Hidden by Nadine, March 17, 2014 - name calling

Some of you are way out of touch with reality. #toolbags

Irsay has a history of substance abuse. It seems those demons still lurk. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he finds the help he needs.

There's been a lot of talk the past few years about the state of his health. His physical appearance has changed quite a bit in the last 8-10 years. His mugshot looks awful. It looks like a guy whose lived a hard life, not a guy who owns a successful sports team and is valued at over a billion dollars.

I personally believe that Jim has had some serious health issues over the past few years. I think that whatever it was/is has been dealt with because he seems like a healthy guy now, but he's depleted from what he used to be. This could possibly be a manifestation of that. It's hard to say. He's been noticeably quiet on twitter as of late.

Whatever he's going through, the team will march on. I certainly hope he can bounce back from this and pepper us all with his cryptic tweets.

Cant effectively suspend an owner...but I'm sure R. Godell will meet with Jim and there will be a fine for conduct detrimental to the NFL..

I'm sure if worse comes to worse, the other owners would require Irsay to transition title and ownership to someone else, or group, but I don't see that happening from this one incident.

On ethics and morals absolutely, He has none at all but he is a way better owner than either of them. Look at the team he has put together in comparison to Jones or Johnson.  If it doesn't completely fall apart because of this he's built a franchise that has made it to the playoffs 9 out of the last 10 years and has been a perennial powerhouse in the NFL. Say whatever you want about how Irsay is a horrible addict with no ethics or morals but he is an amazing owner for this franchise.  I would take what he's done with this team over what any owner on any other team has been able to do over the last 10 years.

That comment had nothing to do with him not building a great team. What are we supposed to say? "He may be a drunk and a drug user, but at least he doesn't make horrible front office decisions like Jones!!"

It's just selfish to me. The same way we are so quick to condemn players like Browner and Justin Blackmon for substance abuse, and now we have an OWNER. Not a player, or even a coach, but the owner of an NFL Franchise. That's just as bad as anything Jerry has done. At least he's  maintained professionalism. Its enough we have Irsay on Twitter rambling off like a lunatic at times, but now being arrested for the very thing you tell your players not to do?

John Boyett just got released last year for DUI, and a year later the owner does the same thing? That's a terrible message to send to the rest of your staff.

You sound completely different here than you did in your first post when you predicted doom and gloom.

Just because I have serious questions and doubts about this franchise going forwards doesn't detract from the man's and the organization's past accomplishments.

So the Colts just lost all respect as an organization.  Just went from a team that lots of player want to play for to a team no one with any sense would want to play for.  How does anyone like this team anymore with an owner with these issues.  How do we as fans justify giving our money to an owner with these issues?  As someone pointed out how do any players respect him after this.  I would not be surprised if Luck, Wayne, Hilton, Davis all wanted out of Indianapolis after this. There is no way we are getting anyone we wanted anymore. I can't even imagine that any rookies we draft could want to come  here.  It's a really sad day to be a Colts fan and I feel really sorry for him. I'm just thankful he didn't hurt anyone. Is there any type of precedent to this at all?

Wow, glad I don`t feel this way

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 17, 2014 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, March 17, 2014 - personal shot

This is seriously something I am interested in as well. What is the precedent to this?  How badly is the team hurt beyond losing all respect and its reputation.

Please provide your documented proof that the team is losing all respect and reputation.  I would like to read this.  I mean, you are saying they have.  Can you please provide this proof?  Oh yeah, that is right.  YOU DON'T HAVE ANY.  Go figure.  haha  What a tool.  Let me guess, a Brad Wells secret account that he has admitted to having?

I might not be perfect but I've never had a substance abuse issue or been arrested no.

Wait, so you are allowed to cast your stones at Jim, because you haven't had HIS issue, but yours are fine, even if they don't make you perfect.  Got it.  Double standard.  I see.  Well let me give you some free advice.  The Raiders need some new fans.  Why don't you go join them?  You know, since you have lost all respect and don't care for the Colts anymore.

No ethics or morals? Are you assuming he was swerving because he was eating babies? Sometimes decent people make mistakes. That doesn't made them void of redeeming qualities.

Look at all of Drew's post.  This guy doesn't have a clue of where he stands.  He has already turned the Colts into the worst team in the league now.  This guy just wants to cause problems.  Honestly, I highly doubt he is even a Colts fan.

I don't support what Jim did, but it doesn't mean I can support him so that he can hopefully get past this.  Just like his players will and the players that will still come to play here.

The controlled substance is the big issue here. Not saying that a dui isnt bad, but if he didnt have a prescription and its enough or a certain kind, is a felony.

Do not worry.  He is rich so he will get off with a slap on the wrist.

Hopefully he gets what help he needs.  Many of us can sit here and look down on him, but none of us have walked a mile in his shoes.  Divorce, hip replacement, and the stress of being a NFL owner can be a recipe for disaster.  Hopefully this is a wake up call to him and his family to get him the help he needs.

The morning sports shows are largely ignoring this..

Guess its not the owner of Dallas or the Jets

I'm surprised!!! Usually if they have the chance to toss Indy under the bus they will!! haha

But I'm just glad this wasn't during the season and Jim can get some help!!! I feel like Grigson rubs off on the players more than Jim does! Players will still want to be here! Pagano is a coach players love to play for as well

That comment had nothing to do with him not building a great team. What are we supposed to say? "He may be a drunk and a drug user, but at least he doesn't make horrible front office decisions like Jones!!"

It's just selfish to me. The same way we are so quick to condemn players like Browner and Justin Blackmon for substance abuse, and now we have an OWNER. Not a player, or even a coach, but the owner of an NFL Franchise. That's just as bad as anything Jerry has done. At least he's  maintained professionalism. Its enough we have Irsay on Twitter rambling off like a lunatic at times, but now being arrested for the very thing you tell your players not to do?

John Boyett just got released last year for DUI, and a year later the owner does the same thing? That's a terrible message to send to the rest of your staff.

Did you just catch up that there are double standards in life?  You expect Boyett to be treated the same as if it were Luck or Wayne that did that?  You think they would have been kicked off the team?

If someone is deemed valuable to an organization or business, they will be granted leniency in behavior that others that aren't deemed as such won't.  That's how the world works.  I'm sure you treat family and friends different in their behavoir than you do strangers.

That's just how it goes.  It should have no affect on player discipline.

I'm surprised!!! Usually if they have the chance to toss Indy under the bus they will!! haha

But I'm just glad this wasn't during the season and Jim can get some help!!! I feel like Grigson rubs off on the players more than Jim does! Players will still want to be here! Pagano is a coach players love to play for as well

To be fair...its St. Patrick's Day and NCAA tourney bracket day-after..

...those shows plan a lot of stuff in advance and I guess they think Jim Irsay will 'keep' for a day or two