Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we have the best receiving corps in the league?

bestQBever

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No obvious #1 would be the only contention I'd have.

Maybe not the best, (Denver is pretty obvious here) but in the conversation for most depth.

Denver isnt really in the conversation. There's DT and JT, but JT I would argue has been mainly a product of Peyton so far. Welker's production is going down while his age is going up with chronc injuries. I think DET has the best personally (calvin, Tate, bush, broyles, and that other 6'5 guy whose name i can't recall), but colts are probably #2 because they have depth at te.

We praised Dwayne Allen for his rookie campaign, and granted, he's a much better blocker and all around player than Tim Wright. But with worse quarterbacking and fewer passing attempts, Tim Wright outproduced Allen's rookie season, as a rookie himself.

His efficiency is nowhere as good. Volume is a bad way to judge a player. Allen had higher YPRR, drop rate, YAC, ect...

Tampa calls up right now and offers you VJax, Mike Williams, and Tim Wright for Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Hakeem Nicks, Dwayne Allen, and Coby Fleener.

You take that deal? Don't factor in contracts.

No, for several reasons.

Disclaimer: The original question was about our receiving corps, which I took to mean wide receivers alone. If the question is expanded to include all receiving options, or even just WRs and TEs, then we're definitely ahead of Tampa.

But the main reason I don't take that deal is because they can't match Hilton, Allen and Fleener. Reggie might be done; we don't know what he'll do next year (I'm very optimistic, but history and the odds don't favor him bouncing back). Nicks has suffered noteworthy injuries for several years in a row, including an ankle injury in the last game of the season. I think he'll be really good for us, but he's a slight question mark as well.

Doesn't really matter, I'm not necessarily in love with Tampa's receivers. But I do think they have a really good 1-2 punch with Jackson and Williams, and Tim Wright is a good receiving weapon. I'm apparently in the minority on this one.

No, for several reasons.

Disclaimer: The original question was about our receiving corps, which I took to mean wide receivers alone. If the question is expanded to include all receiving options, or even just WRs and TEs, then we're definitely ahead of Tampa.

But the main reason I don't take that deal is because they can't match Hilton, Allen and Fleener. Reggie might be done; we don't know what he'll do next year (I'm very optimistic, but history and the odds don't favor him bouncing back). Nicks has suffered noteworthy injuries for several years in a row, including an ankle injury in the last game of the season. I think he'll be really good for us, but he's a slight question mark as well.

Doesn't really matter, I'm not necessarily in love with Tampa's receivers. But I do think they have a really good 1-2 punch with Jackson and Williams, and Tim Wright is a good receiving weapon. I'm apparently in the minority on this one.

I agree with you that TB has a good one :)

I think the Colts are better, but I have no idea how someone dismissed VJax as a great #1.

They have an inconsistent/overrated VJax and Mike Williams (who I really like but has become trouble off the field) but then they have nothing at all. We now have 3 very good WRs.

I know you were just coming up with teams off the top of your head but Tampa is a really bad example.

Jackson might be inconsistent and overrated, but he's highly productive, even with bummy quarterbacks. We do have three very good receivers, but one is 35 and coming off a torn ACL, and the other struggles with nagging injuries every year. 

Again, we can scratch Tampa. I think you're underselling them, but that's fine. I still don't think we're the best.

No. No, we do not. Detroit, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, off the top of my head, are better (based on past production). Maybe we have among the most well-rounded set of receiving options, once you include our TEs and backs who are excellent receiving options. 

How about Denver. Caldwell will replace Decker seamlessly.

Detroit would have to be in consideration, at least when it comes to starters. Megatron is out of this world.

Bears as well with Marshall and Jeffreys.

Broncos are looking pretty good as well.

But we have a very good WR corps with pretty good depth.

Big question is if Reggie recovers well, and continues at his pre-injury level, but we don't know if that will happen or not.

Nicks was awesome a few seasons ago, but the last two seasons... Not so much. If he gets back to his best, he will put a lot of points on the board for us.

Rogers still needs polishing and improvement, but has talent.

Brazil and Whalen are good depth, and T.Y. has proven himself to be a consistent playmaker.

With Allen/Fleener, the weapons are there for Luck for sure. Now we just have to keep him upright. If we manage that we'll put plenty of points on the board.

His efficiency is nowhere as good. Volume is a bad way to judge a player. Allen had higher YPRR, drop rate, YAC, ect...

I agree, but production matters, especially when your QBs suck. I don't think Wright is better than Allen, like I said. But you said Wright is not good, and that's not true at all.

You underestimate Golden Tate, but whatever. I'd rather have Calvin Johnson than our two best receivers, TY and whoever else. Given Reggie's injury, we don't even know what he'll play like, which is why the Nicks signing is such a good one for us. 

See my post above about Tampa.

And I forgot to mention Chicago.

I also would rather have calvin. But all that says is that Calvin is the best receiver in the game. It doesn't mean the lions have a better receiving corps than us. But, if they draft sammy watkins, this convo is over.

Jackson might be inconsistent and overrated, but he's highly productive, even with bummy quarterbacks. We do have three very good receivers, but one is 35 and coming off a torn ACL, and the other struggles with nagging injuries every year. 

Again, we can scratch Tampa. I think you're underselling them, but that's fine. I still don't think we're the best.

I watched a lot of Tampa games and VJax always underwhelmed me and dropped balls like he was playing DB. He was so productive due to the sheer volume of passes thrown his way because they had no other receiving threat after Mike Williams went down.

I also would rather have calvin. But all that says is that Calvin is the best receiver in the game. It doesn't mean the lions have a better receiving corps than us. But, if they draft sammy watkins, this convo is over.

What it does is puts Golden Tate up against Nicks or Wayne, straight up. In which case I'm taking Tate, right now. Might be proved wrong if Nicks or Wayne do really well.

If you factor in TEs and assume Wayne and Nicks both get back to their best, coupled with so many of these young players having an extra year in the league... Then it is a resounding yes from me.

A lot of people here are too afraid to admit what their aspirations truly are for fear or them looking silly if they are not met.

I would say Atlanta has the best corp. Julio, White, and Harry Douglas is surprisingly good. Bears really only have Jeffrey and Marshall, but that tandem is better than most corps. Titans have a corp that rivals ours: Nate Washington, Kendall Wright, and Justin Hunter. If I made a top 5:

1. Falcons

2. Broncos

3. Bears

4. Titans

5.Colts/Chargers

if not, where do we stand after the nicks signing?

btw, I just found a 24 minute highlight reel on hakeem nicks......

Wow can that guy catch. His physicality and ability to break tackles reminds me of Pierre Garcon.

I would say Atlanta has the best corp. Julio, White, and Harry Douglas is surprisingly good. Bears really only have Jeffrey and Marshall, but that tandem is better than most corps. Titans have a corp that rivals ours: Nate Washington, Kendall Wright, and Justin Hunter. If I made a top 5:

1. Falcons

2. Broncos

3. Bears

4. Titans

5.Colts/Chargers

Titans?

1. Falcons

2. Broncos

3. Bears

4. Titans

5.Colts/Chargers

We don't have the best corp but considering who our QB is, we'd be atleast #2 on this list.

The Titans and Chargers are laughable.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Green Bay with Nelson and Cobb.

No. No, we do not. Detroit, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, off the top of my head, are better (based on past production). Maybe we have among the most well-rounded set of receiving options, once you include our TEs and backs who are excellent receiving options. 

Detroit!? YEA RIGHT. Calvin and thats it. Golden Tate is OK. But TY Reggie and Nicks are better than him. No chance detroit is better.

Tampa Bay? NO. Mike Williams and VJ? No thanks.

Atlanta you can at least make an arguement for, not the other guys...

No, we took a step back.  Nicks has not been healthy the last 2 years, so we do not know if he will be this year.  By signing Nicks, IMO, we set our young WRs back, because they will not be getting the snaps.

This rubbish is in more than one thread?

if not, where do we stand after the nicks signing?

btw, I just found a 24 minute highlight reel on hakeem nicks......

Vontae Davis seems to think so... :D

Practice just went to a different level ...T.Y. Hilton, R. Wayne & H. Nicks!!!!!! Lord Jesus it's a FIRE!

— Vontae Davis (@vontaedavis)

March 15, 2014

I would say if healthy, yes they COULD have the best recieving core. It will depend on how strong Reggie comes back, how healthy Nicks and Allen can remain. Nothing needs to be said about TY, the guy is great. If everyone comes back healthy I don't see a recieving core that could touch this group if they are all hitting on all cylinders and healthy. That's asking for a lot though. Colts need them all healthy and on their game.

Factor in solid backups in Da'Rick, Whalen and Brazil..... I don't see an overall receiving core that is better.

This rubbish is in more than one thread?

Have I stated this before, yes.  In another thread, maybe.  Has some one else, probably.  There are a few of us on here ho want this team to be built properly and not to waste time and money on suspect players (example: Toler).

If Nicks and Wayne are their old selves, then, yeah, maybe, considering we have two borderline top-10 TEs, plus Richardson, for all his faults, was very effective out of the backfield.

I'm not sure I would say right now that we have the best receiving corps, but I would say we've got the potential to be the best when all is said and done this season.

That guy throwing the ball ain't too bad either.

How much field time do you think Rogers will get if Nicks stays healthy? Obviously I would rather the better receiver get most of the snaps, but I was really looking forward to seeing how Rogers develops this year. I hope our coaches wont be too stubborn to bench Nicks and start Rogers if Nicks doesn't make an impact like they were with DHB.