Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFT Reporting Davis To Sign With Another Team

HarassedOffTheSite

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They had about $10 million before letting a Rogers walk.

They have to cap to land Davis..

Yes, but then they have about nothing to re-sign Whitner and a few others. Not to mention their draft picks and Kap wanting a huge deal in the near future. Signing Davis and letting Whitner and a few others walk does nothing but make them worse. San Fran is too smart IMO to do that. We'll see, but I don't think it's San Fran.

This is the dishonest language Florio uses with my commentary in red:

"Per a league source, Davis is expected to sign a deal on Tuesday, the first day of free agency."

This is not news. It is not breaking news. And it is not indicative of Davis signing with any other team. It is simply a fact that is apparent to all.

"At this point, it likely won’t be the Colts."

He "adds" this immediately following the above 'sourced' sentence. But it is 100 percent conjecture on his part.

"The situation is fluid and dynamic and subject to change..."

"Caveat Emptor" He glibly inserts his get out of jail -for saying something purely speculative and trying to pass it off as something more than that- free card.

"...as evidenced by the fact that, as of last night, there was a report that Davis was close to re-signing with the Colts."

More equivocation.

"For now, he’s not. He’s close to signing with someone else. And he could do just that on Tuesday."

Ties it off with a nonsensical bow saying "right now" Davis isn't signing with the Colts. And that he "could" sign with someone else not right now. ;/

What a coward.

It can be frustrating when we see Grigs give premium dollars for players like Cherilus, RJF, Walden, Patty Mac, and Jackson....sure none were elite numbers except Cherilus but all were paid at the top of their value or more and yet to watch basically our second rd pick of a year ago walk away for nothing does hurt. 

Jackson wasn't paid like an elite player. Paid middle of the pack, and paid less than he was during Cleveland. McAfee was reported to want 3 million, so signing him for less than that is good.

How does that make his contract any better for us? His money gets paid one way or another, and it hits the cap one way or another. You either pay now or you pay later.

So if the Colts don't want to pay Davis whatever he's asking for -- and I can assure you that it's considerably less than the $16m that Revis is making -- why would they turn around and trade for Revis?

Please don't keep trying to make this make sense. There's nothing reasonable about this idea.

Indeed...Revis is basically untradable. He is awesome...but there are few teams that could afford his contract AND could give up a draft pick (probably a first rd) to get it done. I wouldn't be opposed to Revis for a year or two...and can let him walk when we re-sign Luck....but we have nothing to offer nor should we. The only teams that could really afford Revis is TB, JAX, and OAK. Of those teams...he is best off with TB....even if they do run the tampa 2 coverage.

Yes, but then they have about nothing to re-sign Whitner and a few others. Not to mention their draft picks and Kap wanting a huge deal in the near future. Signing Davis and letting Whitner and a few others walk does nothing but make them worse. San Fran is too smart IMO to do that. We'll see, but I don't think it's San Fran.

Gut tells me they will let Whitner walk, and draft another safety to pair with Reid. Mainly so they can save for Kaepernicks mega deal, so I agree that signing Vontae leaves them little flexibility. 

It can be frustrating when we see Grigs give premium dollars for players like Cherilus, RJF, Walden, Patty Mac, and Jackson....sure none were elite numbers except Cherilus but all were paid at the top of their value or more and yet to watch basically our second rd pick of a year ago walk away for nothing does hurt. I'm sure he has a plan...and I can't judge til after all the dust settles etc but this certainly isn't how I would think we would like free agency to go if we are the Colts. We had two main issues last year and that was defense and the offensive line...and neither really have been upgraded yet. I know free agency hasn't started but even if we had franchised Davis we would have at least got 1 more year to judge his play and the going rate for these corners in the market has been around 10 million anyways so I'm not sure I understand what we did here. Worst case is he walked after a year...it wouldn't have hurt our cap situation moving forward...best case it gave us time to work out a long term deal and we lowered the cap hits. The other corners on the market I can't say are better than Vontae...and will probably go with a 1 or 2 yr deal with a vet and draft a corner. 

When the cap jumped 10 million...and we saw these teams handing out big contracts or discussing them...I saw some of this coming. I didn't see us making a big splash in free agency because I figured we would bring back Davis, Bethea, Macafee, and Vinatari....but with Davis gone possibly...we may need to make some bigger moves on defense to sure it up. Whether its at FS or on the DL to generate more pass rush but if we hold pat...ouch....Luck is going to be asked even more to carry this team....and we saw the results in the playoffs....he is best when he isn't pressured to do it all.

You make some salient points, but I'll just point out two very obvious things that I'm sure you already realize:

1) Davis hasn't signed with anyone else yet, so this is all premature.

2) It would suck to have him walk, and we get nothing in return (aside from a possible future compensatory pick), but at a certain point, you have to be willing to walk away. Can't just give him whatever he wants, just because we invested a 2nd rounder to get him. 

If Davis really wants top dollar then let him walk, he's good but not good enough for that kind of money. We have a lot of cap space, but to just throw that kind of coin to players that warrant 1/2 of that is just asking for trouble down the road.

Jackson wasn't paid like an elite player. Paid middle of the pack, and paid less than he was during Cleveland. McAfee was reported to want 3 million, so signing him for less than that is good.

I didn't mean to imply he was...I said premium dollars...and to me for an ilb of his age and stature....I think we paid Jackson at least his market value if not more. It was the signing of a team desperate for lb help...not one of a team confident in what we had or could land in the draft. All I am saying is Grigson hasn't been shy with his contracts...granted there are room with most to get out of them if they become undervalued but he has paid top market dollar for these guys....and then when it comes time to sign a top market corner thats one of our own...its worrisome if we let Davis walk. I'm not saying its doomsday or anything..just concerning because we don't know what direction we will go...Davis was our top priority...I still think it was short sighted not to franchise tag him and work out a deal later or let him walk after the year because 10 million is what he was going to get anyways...guess that was too rich for us...but a corner of his caliber on the open market....yeah we've seen worse get better deals so Davis to me was worth it. I'm not giving up on him...or saying Grigs is screwing up....we have yet to see the big picture...but am I concerned...yeah...losing good young talent...that we spent a second rd on...that sucks.

Indeed...Revis is basically untradable. He is awesome...but there are few teams that could afford his contract AND could give up a draft pick (probably a first rd) to get it done. I wouldn't be opposed to Revis for a year or two...and can let him walk when we re-sign Luck....but we have nothing to offer nor should we. The only teams that could really afford Revis is TB, JAX, and OAK. Of those teams...he is best off with TB....even if they do run the tampa 2 coverage.

Yes but Tampa is NOT better off with him. His talent is sufficient for the Cover 2 Zone that they'll run. However, His salary is way overblown for the position he will be playing and the impact it is designed to have on the overall defense.

I will not be surprised if Lovie Smith cuts him.

Doesn't matter if he's better, Grimes is old. And a guy his age at CB shouldn't be getting that kind of money. But that's the dolphins problem. They'll be feeling the effects of their splurging of $$$ soon enough

Don't be ridiculous, it absolutely does matter if a player is better. They certainly factor age in to the equation. However, with the disparity in play between Grimes and Shields I don't buy Shields should be making as much as Grimes, let alone more.

Don't be ridiculous, it absolutely does matter if a player is better. Age is certainly factored in but with the disparity in play between Grimes and Shields I don't buy Shields should be making as much as Grimes, let alone more.

Shields isn't even half the player a healthy Grimes is. 

You make some salient points, but I'll just point out two very obvious things that I'm sure you already realize:

1) Davis hasn't signed with anyone else yet, so this is all premature.

2) It would suck to have him walk, and we get nothing in return (aside from a possible future compensatory pick), but at a certain point, you have to be willing to walk away. Can't just give him whatever he wants, just because we invested a 2nd rounder to get him. 

Indeed.....well said. But considering who we will likely bring in during FA...it will probably wash the compensatory pick.....it's not like we are getting picked clean...we have been buyers in FA and likely to outweigh losing one (very good) player.

Yes but Tampa is NOT better off with him. His talent is sufficient for the Cover 2 Zone that they'll run. However, His salary is way overblown for the position he will be playing and the impact it is designed to have on the overall defense.

I will not be surprised if Lovie Smith cuts him.

Now that is a possibility except I'm not sure they save anything on his salary. I think he is on the final year of his contract...its all guaranteed if I'm not mistaken...and I could be. I agree he isn't a good fit...and with that salary few places outside Oakland he would be.

If he walks I'd like to see us snatch up Byrd or ward and a good cb. I think our biggest problems in the secondary, aside from Tolers injuries was the safeties. I think if we had more of a ballhawks back there it would make up for some of our cb flaws. Like when we had bob. Just my opinion, but I think if our front 7 and our fa was better we would still have a better d without Davis. I'd still like to see him sign to a reasonable contract.

Now that is a possibility except I'm not sure they save anything on his salary. I think he is on the final year of his contract...its all guaranteed if I'm not mistaken...and I could be. I agree he isn't a good fit...and with that salary few places outside Oakland he would be.

Oh...well, if they're on the hook for his salary then I would be surprised to see Lovie Smith cut him. Hahaha...

I think all signs are pointing to the Colts drafting a corner early. Signing D-Jax and now them having real interest in Arthur Jones. I think our first 2 picks are CB and WR or CB and Safety

The only corner available in round 2 I would want is Stanley Jean Baptiste. Don't want McGill since he will be 25 when the season starts, and I think Baptiste is better. Would have rather solidified the CB position before the draft and went after DE/OLB or FS in the draft.

Revis' contract isn't guaranteed. They signed him with no signing bonus, and no guaranteed money. He gets a $1.5m roster bonus and a $1.5m workout bonus every year, and a $13m base salary. If they cut or trade him before the roster bonus or workout bonus are due (roster bonus is due on the third day of the league year, which is Thursday this week), they owe him nothing, and have no cap penalty.

Oh...well, if they're on the hook for his salary then I would be surprised to see Lovie Smith cut him. Hahaha...

He has like $0 guaranteed money. It was such a weird contract that I couldn't believe it. He can be cut with basically no penalty.

The only corner available in round 2 I would want is Stanley Jean Baptiste. Don't want McGill since he will be 25 when the season starts, and I think Baptiste is better. Would have rather solidified the CB position before the draft and went after DE/OLB or FS in the draft.

You'd get an athlete in his physical prime for four years, really cheap. I wouldn't mind spending a third on McGill, which is where I think he'll go.

He has like $0 guaranteed money. It was such a weird contract that I couldn't believe it. He can be cut with basically no penalty.

Except they would lose that 1st rd pick they gave up to get him....don't see them just letting him walk. I would anticipate they try to make it work or trade him to the Raiders and their millions lol. He would be a perfect fit here on a 1 or 2 yr deal...at least until we have to re-sign Luck and CO.

I think we are going to end up with one of those second level free agents at corner and if that is the case we better have a back up plan like a draft pick or something...I could see Cromartie on a prove it contract similar to what DRC did.