Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFT Reporting Davis To Sign With Another Team

HarassedOffTheSite

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stated earlier that IMO it would be a mistake to let him go, but so would paying him way more than he's worth. It's a double edged sword that could cut us either way. Hopefully Grigs has a good backup plan if Davis gets overpaid by some other team.

So... If this is true, then who are we getting that isn't going to be high dollar? By the looks of it, everyone is wanting too much. I'm curious to see what Vontae will be signed for.

You didn't know? It's a million things we can do if Davis leaves

1. Make DHB CB (As this forum seems to think he can do)

2. Sign a CB cheap who wants to win not get paid

3. Draft a CB and just throw him to the wolves his first year

4. Re-Sign Bethea and make him play CB

5. Pick a forum member to be our new CB. Seems Grigs has looked everywhere but right here on the forum for talent

:D

I stated earlier that IMO it would be a mistake to let him go, but so would paying him way more than he's worth. It's a double edged sword that could cut us either way. Hopefully Grigs has a good backup plan if Davis gets overpaid by some other team.

Preach! That's why I actually love grigs. He's not going to bend over and take it for the sake of signing (incert player). Would love to keep him with the Colts. But not if he is trying to get more than he is worth.

Personally I'd like to take a run at browner or drc. They can jam wr's pretty good and give our rush a little more help.

If he signs anywhere it's SF to play with his brother.

They just released Carlos Rogers.. And have like three other corners as free agents..

It's pretty clear..

Agents also lie to get a better deal.

Tomorrow we will know..

San Fran would have to do some real magic with their cap space to even be able to think about signing Davis. They have some huge re-sign's of their own guys they need to do and they have less than 10 mil. in cap space. If it's San Fran(which I highly doubt) then they have to let go of more than Rodgers and let some of their other FA's walk without any real hope of replacing them.

This might be a little bit of gamesmanship. Day before free agency, and suddenly he's close with someone else... Might just be trying to scare the Colts into matching his number.

Either way, I think the Colts should set some boundaries on this Davis contract and not bend. Davis is a good young corner, but he's not irreplaceable. I wouldn't give him the $9-10m that he must be asking for.

You didn't know? It's a million things we can do if Davis leaves

1. Make DHB CB (As this forum seems to think he can do)

2. Sign a CB cheap who wants to win not get paid

3. Draft a CB and just throw him to the wolves his first year

4. Re-Sign Bethea and make him play CB

5. Pick a forum member to be our new CB. Seems Grigs has looked everywhere but right here on the forum for talent

:D

Sounds exactly what I was thinking.

His agent could also just say he has a deal for X million dollars so as to drive our price up.

Losing Vontae would hurt a lot though.. I can't imagine our team without him.. We'd need a great backup plan, and there isn't one. I'm sorry but we will regress a lot next season without him.

San Fran would have to do some real magic with their cap space to even be able to think about signing Davis. They have some huge re-sign's of their own guys they need to do and they have less than 10 mil. in cap space. If it's San Fran(which I highly doubt) then they have to let go of more than Rodgers and let some of their other FA's walk without any real hope of replacing them.

They can figure out the cap structure to make him fit, if they want. They are $10m under the cap now, before the Rogers release goes through. That will save them another $5m, which they could easily earmark for Davis. 

His agent could also just say he has a deal for X million dollars so as to drive our price up.

Losing Vontae would hurt a lot though.. I can't imagine our team without him.. We'd need a great backup plan, and there isn't one. I'm sorry but we will regress a lot next season without him.

You think grigs and co are actually that dumb to not have a back up plan in place?

You think grigs and co are actually that dumb to not have a back up plan in place?

What exactly could our backup plan even be, there are no good cornerbacks left on the market. What are we gonna do, draft someone capable of making a corps of Toler and Gordy good? Not happening.

Its not a question of if they have the smarts to have a backup plan in place, Its a question if its a legit backup plan or just some emergency plan

Its not a question of if they have the smarts to have a backup plan in place, Its a question if its a legit backup plan or just some emergency plan

Maybe they think if they shore up the front 7 more that the backfield might benefit. Personally I think it will.

What relevance does that have to whether they should bend to whatever Davis' demands are? If he prices himself out of a reasonable price range, then it's time for Plan B, whatever that is. Can't just give him whatever he wants, though, without regard for anything else.

What exactly could our backup plan even be, there are no good cornerbacks left on the market. What are we gonna do, draft someone capable of making a corps of Toler and Gordy good? Not happening.

Actually they could choose from a couple different CB's left. They may not be as good, but if we really built up our D-line and upgraded the FS position, I have no doubt that our secondary could still be good enough. Sure I would love to keep Davis but if he's wanting stupid money and some team is willing to give it to him, then we have to use his money to upgrade other positions.