Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFT Reporting Davis To Sign With Another Team

HarassedOffTheSite

I think we are going to end up with one of those second level free agents at corner and if that is the case we better have a back up plan like a draft pick or something...I could see Cromartie on a prove it contract similar to what DRC did.

Tarell Brown would be my choice, and we could draft a corner.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You think grigs and co are actually that dumb to not have a back up plan in place?

Don't get these people started!

Yes,  they think Grigs and company really are that dumb and that they don't have a back-up plan in place.....

Sometimes these message boards just go a little insane.....    :facepalm:

Oh.....   by the way,  if it's true that Davis is leaving us...   does this mean the front office is no longer listening

to what the fans want?!?

I mean...    just sayin.....

Tarell Brown would be my choice, and we could draft a corner.

That wouldn't be the worst scenerio....I liked Vontae...really thought we would at least franchise tag him as the worst case scenerio...compared to what most are getting at CB in the free market I thought that wouldn't be an issue. I think we didn't anticipate the market accelerating like it did and then priced him out of what we were comfortable. I'm no GM obviously but it just feels like no matter what we do at corner now it will be a downgrade temporarily...it could very well be the right thing to do...but it still stings a little.

We also essentially lose our second rd pick from last year too...it stings a lot I guess.

The only corner available in round 2 I would want is Stanley Jean Baptiste. Don't want McGill since he will be 25 when the season starts, and I think Baptiste is better. Would have rather solidified the CB position before the draft and went after DE/OLB or FS in the draft.

Either or could probably start. McGill is 25, but he's still young. It doesn't matter to me though, I'll be happy with either.  But if you don't want a 25 year old McGill then you shouldn't want any FA corner either. Personally I don't think age matters.

But I'd put money on them drafting a CB early or at some point in the draft

Explains the Cromartie cut. They saved 9.5 million after cutting him.

Cromartie sucking last year explains the Cromartie cut. But yeah, they now have $40m in cap space for 2014 after all their cuts, and they haven't done anything with Sanchez yet. They'll be big players this week for sure.

Lol. You people crack me up. You think Grigson didn't try to give him a contract that he deserves? One that would benefit both sides. Davis is just chasing the $$. Hey, can't say I blame him. But sometimes you have to give to get.

I agree with you almost 100%. It's not 100% because Grigson is going to sign some free agents .. no doubt this is true. I also have little doubt that he's going to over pay for them. So the question is will they get as much value from the new signs as they would have by over paying Davis ? My opinion is they better find the means to improve the pass rush in a big way. Also Tolar not only needs to stay on the field , which he's never done , but he needs to step up his play. There is no way they replace the cover skills of V Davis in 2014 , but that doesn't mean the team can't be better than last year.

I hope the Jets sign him for big bucks and it helps us net out a 3rd or 4th round comp pick next year.

We gave a 2nd rounder, he helps us go 11-5for  2 years, then we get a fourth rounder comp pick and avoid overpaying...

Sounds better (like you can build a better team) than paying 10M per year and not getting the 4th rounder. 

That wouldn't be the worst scenerio....I liked Vontae...really thought we would at least franchise tag him as the worst case scenerio...compared to what most are getting at CB in the free market I thought that wouldn't be an issue. I think we didn't anticipate the market accelerating like it did and then priced him out of what we were comfortable. I'm no GM obviously but it just feels like no matter what we do at corner now it will be a downgrade temporarily...it could very well be the right thing to do...but it still stings a little.

We also essentially lose our second rd pick from last year too...it stings a lot I guess.

I'd prefer that scenario to paying Davis $10m/year, especially if he wants a big signing bonus or a lot of guaranteed money.

I guess we could have transition tagged him for $10.1m, and seen what happened, but I don't really think it's worth it. The alternatives do represent a downgrade at corner, but I don't think our defense has to rely on a highly paid corner in order to improve. I'd rather keep him, but not at $10m/year, which I'm assuming is where his number eventually comes in.

Cromartie sucking last year explains the Cromartie cut. But yeah, they now have $40m in cap space for 2014 after all their cuts, and they haven't done anything with Sanchez yet. They'll be big players this week for sure.

I agree....they have cap room and already a very very solid defense. They will likely look at a couple mid-tier wrs and they still have their #1 pick at cb from last year that was a little slow to learn last year but should be getting better. After cutting Sanchez would not be surprised they sign Vick to mentor Smith....I think they will be a surprise next year if they get anything going out of the qb.

You make some salient points, but I'll just point out two very obvious things that I'm sure you already realize:

1) Davis hasn't signed with anyone else yet, so this is all premature.

2) It would suck to have him walk, and we get nothing in return (aside from a possible future compensatory pick), but at a certain point, you have to be willing to walk away. Can't just give him whatever he wants, just because we invested a 2nd rounder to get him. 

Forget the compensatory pick. We'll sign more than we'll lose .. I think as Bethea signs for cheap . Remember last year when you and I had conversation on how they should have used some of that cap and try to extend V Davis ? I was begging for it...    Would look a whole lot better than guys like Hassleback and Waldron....

The football gods owe us an amazing bailout here. 

Everyone overspends for these Cbs and then Bucs cut Revis whom we then scoop up for a legit price. The joke will be on them.

But the Jets can sign Revis if the Bucs cut him.  That would be funny.

Yo! If Vontae signs with the Jets??!! They're one good QB & WR away from being #2 in that division

Their defense is NASTY so all they need is some offensive help

They will likely look at guys like Emanuel Sanders and James Jones to help the offense and possibly draft to help...Dee Millner certainly has to improve but if they add someone like Vontae..they indeed have a formidable front 7 to go with them.

Forget the compensatory pick. We'll sign more than we'll lose .. I think as Bethea signs for cheap . Remember last year when you and I had conversation on how they should have used some of that cap and try to extend V Davis ? I was begging for it...    Would look a whole lot better than guys like Hassleback and Waldron....

I'm not expecting a compensatory pick.

We could have extended Davis last year, despite our other moves. I don't think he had really earned a new deal, to be honest, but we probably could have gotten him for $6-7m/year at that point. I wasn't against doing a new deal for him, by the way. 

seriously, i thought he was good, but not 8-10 mil good, left alot of plays out on the field.  but i will say he could have been better, with a better dline getting more pressure, which is exactly why, if we dont sign him, i want some top of the line talent on the dline next year

But the Jets can sign Revis if the Bucs cut him.  That would be funny.

Very doubtful Revis is getting cut...it was some wishful thinking because of how unfortunate the past few hours have been.....all this said this could all be for nothing if the reports are wrong....I MEAN THAT NEVER HAPPENS LOL.

BTW...how valid are any of these rumors?

It could simply be agents feeding false rumors to the media....saying there client has a lot of interest as a way of pressuring GM's into flinching.

Does the media corroborate the rumors...you know...two sources?

seriously, i thought he was good, but not 8-10 mil good, left alot of plays out on the field.  but i will say he could have been better, with a better dline getting more pressure, which is exactly why, if we dont sign him, i want some top of the line talent on the dline next year

We have to get used to the fact that the cap jumped 10 million dollars this year and reports it might be up to 150 million in a couple years....the league is just growing and some of these numbers seem high but its just the inflation of the league for lack of better terms. I mean even Peyton Manning's 20 million isn't that bad compared to where other league qbs are up to. He is certainly worth 10% more than say a Jay Cutler etc. It isn't like MLB at least where guys are getting 30 million for 10 yrs guaranteed..sure we don't want to pay more than we have to....but prices are going to go up...thats a certainty.

I guess when you're just chasing the $$ you don't care? Be a dumb move if you ask me. Well the bright side is he can always practice for Brady.

Yep, he's money blinded

Like Greg Jennings. Going from Aaron Rodgers to Christian Ponder. That's like going from a Bentley to a Station wagon

I'm not expecting a compensatory pick.

We could have extended Davis last year, despite our other moves. I don't think he had really earned a new deal, to be honest, but we probably could have gotten him for $6-7m/year at that point. I wasn't against doing a new deal for him, by the way.

I'm an old man but have a memory like young bull elephant. You were not at all against extending him. I would have done it because the CB market went from 10 mill to under 6. Was crazy and I knew would not last. Trouble is what you and I think doesn't mean dog poop. But fun to talk about it

BTW...how valid are any of these rumors?

It could simply be agents feeding false rumors to the media....saying there client has a lot of interest as a way of pressuring GM's into flinching.

Does the media corroborate the rumors...you know...two sources?

Not for Twitter. ESPN or NFL.com usually requires two sources before they post a report, but one of their "insiders" can tweet whatever they want without having multiple sources. And they do just that.

Yep, he's money blinded

Like Greg Jennings. Going from Aaron Rodgers to Christian Ponder. That's like going from a Bentley to a Station wagon

If he goes to the Jets, he's also going to a team with a nasty d-line that gets pressure. Certainly something he hasn't seen in two years as a Colt haha.

Still don't get the non-outrage that the Colts are paying near or over $8 million a year for DQ and a punter. It's laughable how stupid that is.

McAfee was reported to wanting over 3 million. Getting him under that is nice. Jackson's contract is set up so that he can be cut without causing any harm. $5.5 is middle-of-the pack money and a bit below the market price.

Yep, he's money blinded

Lol, oh yeah. Like garçon and the suckskins. More power to them, but hey enjoy sucking at least.

McAfee was reported to wanting over 3 million. Getting him under that is nice. Jackson's contract is set up so that he can be cut without causing any harm. $5.5 is middle-of-the pack money and a bit below the market price.

It's a punter though, they go undrafted so often that paying a premium is absurd. DQ getting $11 guaranteed is ridiculous with how his play has fallen off and like Grimes...wrong side of 30.