Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFT Reporting Davis To Sign With Another Team

HarassedOffTheSite

Maybe they think if they shore up the front 7 more that the backfield might benefit. Personally I think it will.

It wont unless you can find defensive linemen that can pressure QB's 500-600-700 times a season, Legit starting Corners are must, do you need elite Corners? No but you do need legit starting Corners, If you dont have those (along with no Cover Safety as well at this point....though I expect the draft will bring us 1) then good luck

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They can figure out the cap structure to make him fit, if they want. They are $10m under the cap now, before the Rogers release goes through. That will save them another $5m, which they could easily earmark for Davis. 

Yeah, but they have Whitner to re-sign and a few others I can't imagine they want to walk away. If they had to pay Davis 10 mil. I don't see how they can make it work for them. Well, I'm sure there are ways of doing it, but San Fran seems like to smart of a team to really hamstring themselves in cap hell for a player like Davis, especially since Kap is talking about getting a mega deal soon.

You probably watch a lot of game tape too?

He'll no, don't nobody have time for that! I watch every game we play. And from what I've seen from him I don't think he's a top 3. I don't like him and he is good. Now how does he play after the contract is my concern. Dude has a history of dogging it. Can see that happening after his big pay day.

i wont say he isnt talented clearly he is so its sad to see him go but wish he would chase the lombardi and not the big paycheck but thats fine just sweating bullets to find out what CB we're going to go after TKnight, New Era if you wouldnt mind passing the apple juice down this direction :hat: much obliged

Maybe they think if they shore up the front 7 more that the backfield might benefit. Personally I think it will.

Spot on!

It wont unless you can find defensive linemen that can pressure QB's 500-600-700 times a season, Legit starting Corners are must, do you need elite Corners? No but you do need legit starting Corners, If you dont have those (along with no Cover Safety as well at this point....though I expect the draft will bring us 1) then good luck

Ehhhh a lot of equivocating there.

New Era is being both correct.....and direct.

That's what I'm saying. I'd rather bring in a decent corner and Byrd. But that's just me.

Deuces to Vontae. Good luck. Grigson is trying to regain some respect and I like it. Now cut Walden

Because Walden is the biggest issue right now...SMH.

Walden has done what was expected and done it pretty well, I'd strongly suggest hunting down the thread Superman did breaking down his play.

i wont say he isnt talented clearly he is so its sad to see him go but wish he would chase the lombardi and not the big paycheck but thats fine just sweating bullets to find out what CB we're going to go after TKnight, New Era if you wouldnt mind passing the apple juice down this direction :hat: much obliged

Here you go bro! *passes nice cold apple juice*

Yeah, but they have Whitner to re-sign and a few others I can't imagine they want to walk away. If they had to pay Davis 10 mil. I don't see how they can make it work for them. Well, I'm sure there are ways of doing it, but San Fran seems like to smart of a team to really hamstring themselves in cap hell for a player like Davis, especially since Kap is talking about getting a mega deal soon.

Man if we didn't have laron I'd take whitner in a heartbeat

But we already learned this season what having 2 SS' s will do to a defense

Wish we could trade for Eric Reid but no way they let him go. Reid had a solid year and will only get better. Wasnt a blow out kinda year but he was solid

You didn't know? It's a million things we can do if Davis leaves

1. Make DHB CB (As this forum seems to think he can do)

2. Sign a CB cheap who wants to win not get paid

3. Draft a CB and just throw him to the wolves his first year

4. Re-Sign Bethea and make him play CB

5. Pick a forum member to be our new CB. Seems Grigs has looked everywhere but right here on the forum for talent

:D

Sign me up grigs!! Ill take the league minimum lol

Because Walden is the biggest issue right now...SMH.

Walden has done what was expected and done it pretty well, I'd strongly suggest hunting down the thread Superman did breaking down his play.

It would do no good. Some people are irresistibly attracted to sensationalism, and strongly repelled by factual analysis.

So... If this is true, then who are we getting that isn't going to be high dollar? By the looks of it, everyone is wanting too much. I'm curious to see what Vontae will be signed for.

What everyone WANTS is not relevant.

What they GET is.

If they all GET too much, it's not too much.

Doesn't mean you have to pay it though. Each team has their own plan, and priorities.

Unlike the Richardson disaster, this was a good trade and we got two good years out of him. However, he has a history both in college and in Miami of not being reliable. If we can sign him for a contract commensurate with his talent as well as his substantial risk, then we should do so, but if not, move on.

Don't get the Byrd hype, he's good but not worth the $8 million a year. He already runs a 4.68 40, wait till he gets paid/older.

This is what I don't understand, he is completely worth 8 million per year. He may be the best cover safety in the NFL. There is a HUGE difference between 40 speed and game speed. It seems your judging the guy based off his 40 yard dash time and ignoring his play on the field lol

What relevance does that have to whether they should bend to whatever Davis' demands are? If he prices himself out of a reasonable price range, then it's time for Plan B, whatever that is. Can't just give him whatever he wants, though, without regard for anything else.

Personally in an ideal world I wouldn't spend anymore then 8.5 and absolute most 9 mill on him but (and this is only if he is asking for more) the potential to have the combo of Toler and Butler as your 1 and 2 Corners goes up signifcantly if you dont get Vontae signed because other Corners that have his kind of talent will likely be asking for a price tag similar to his...unless you want to draft a rookie Corner...Not a bad idea by no means but to expect a 2nd round Corner(Or later) to come in and likely be thrown into the #1 spot is asking for trouble, Just look at Claiborne and Jenkins from a couple drafts ago (both extremly talented Corners but its taking a while to get a return on that investment....I brought up Jenkins fully knowing he was a 2nd round pick though had 1st round talent), I believe like you that he is not irreplaceable....yet but he does kinda become irreplaceable by default if there is nothing out there thats a legit replacement,

This is what I don't understand, he is completely worth 8 million per year. He may be the best cover safety in the NFL. There is a HUGE difference between 40 speed and game speed. It seems your judging the guy based off his 40 yard dash time and ignoring his play on the field lol

Nah, he's good but he's a safety. Aka bad corner backs...that's why they ask older corners to turn into safeties. 

It's not really a premium position.

Personally in an ideal world I wouldn't spend anymore then 8.5 and absolute most 9 mill on him but (and this is only if he is asking for more) the potential to have the combo of Toler and Butler as your 1 and 2 Corners goes up signifcantly if you dont get Vontae signed because other Corners that have his kind of talent will likely be asking for a price tag similar to his...unless you want to draft a rookie Corner...Not a bad idea by no means but to expect a 2nd round Corner(Or later) to come in and likely be thrown into the #1 spot is asking for trouble, Just look at Claiborne and Jenkins from a couple drafts ago (both extremly talented Corners but its taking a while to get a return on that investment....I brought up Jenkins fully knowing he was a 2nd round pick though had 1st round talent), I believe like you that he is not irreplaceable....yet but he does kinda become irreplaceable by default if there is nothing out there thats a legit replacement,

That was just a long-winded way of saying that if he wants too much money, we have to let him walk and figure out a way to replace him. Which is what I said already.

I'd give Tarell Brown a three year deal, and draft a corner -- and there are plenty who can play right away. We can survive life after Davis if we have to. Would suck if he signs somewhere else, but you have to know when to walk away sometimes. This is how free agency works.