Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFT Reporting Davis To Sign With Another Team

HarassedOffTheSite

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the NFL Network, they just said Davis is still in talks with the Colts!!!!!!!!!!

Just said on NFL Network that "Vontae is negotiating with the Colts" this was from the Jets reporter, so dunno I guess there is still hope. I had heard that it seemed like the Jets were going to get him.

arrow_down_small1.JPG

I think it is interesting that we're not hearing ANYTHING at all about Vontae this morning. If that continues, I have to think it was all smoke by his agent to provoke Grigson to raise his number.....and I'm doubting he would. If no more comes out, Davis'll be a Colt.

I think there are good replacements at good cost in free agency. I might be as wrong as I've ever been about anything, but players like Tarell Brown, DRC and a couple others will be decent players at less cost.

Also, I don't think franchising him was part of the plan at any point. The CB tag value is over-inflated due to Revis and a couple other contracts that didn't reflect the presumed CB market value. Of course, that market value has gone up in the past couple weeks, with Grimes and Shields signing big deals, but neither of them signed for $11m/year. 

To me, the plan seemed to be "we have an offer in mind, we'll negotiate and see what happens, and if we can't agree, then we'll spend that money elsewhere." It's Free Agency 101, and I don't get why people are so shocked by this approach. People have been complaining about the $4m/year for Walden and the $5.5m/year for RJF (with reasonable guaranteed money), but we should just give Davis whatever he wants? I don't get it. Can't just buckle to players' demands without regard for your cap situation moving forward. There's been no indication from Grigson's previous moves that he'd do anything so reckless.

Yes , I guess at some point you do let him walk. I didn't realize the FT price was just shy of 12 mill. That really does make it a different ball game.

It's a holdover from the Polian philosophy of the have and the have-nots.

You're either going to be the highest paid or not-signed.  He gave Kelvin Hayden over $8m APY in 2011!

Hayden's deal was 2009, but yeah. With $22m guaranteed, by the way.

It's a holdover from the Polian philosophy of the have and the have-nots.

You're either going to be the highest paid or not-signed.  He gave Kelvin Hayden over $8m APY in 2011!

No doubt true. Manning , Clark , Freeney , Sanders all received record contracts for their positions. Then he guts the O line by letting one guard go and making the other a scapegoat.