Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFT Reporting Davis To Sign With Another Team

HarassedOffTheSite

It's a punter though, they go undrafted so often that paying a premium is absurd. DQ getting $11 guaranteed is ridiculous with how his play has fallen off and like Grimes...wrong side of 30.

No offense, but McAfee is not just a punter.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you believe in life after Vontae?

Of course.  He's replaceable.  I would like for him to stay, but don't think we should be paying him out the wazoo for him either.  It's a dangerous thing getting caught up in a bidding war, and with the 2012 class re-signing on the horizon, we're going ot have a hard time paying Vontae up front, which is what I'm sure he's hoping for.

I'd prefer that scenario to paying Davis $10m/year, especially if he wants a big signing bonus or a lot of guaranteed money.

I guess we could have transition tagged him for $10.1m, and seen what happened, but I don't really think it's worth it. The alternatives do represent a downgrade at corner, but I don't think our defense has to rely on a highly paid corner in order to improve. I'd rather keep him, but not at $10m/year, which I'm assuming is where his number eventually comes in.

Obviously Grigson sees it similar to what your saying so what do I know lol...I just wouldn't have been opposed to a 1yr tag...considering the market is on the up with the added league money and these new contracts...its hard to say anyone is worth 10 million lol...thats so much money...but in terms of his value in the league...I kinda think he was going to see that kind of a contract considering guys with similar track records etc have some precedence for that figure. He may not even be gone...but I'm let down a bit because I really thought he would be a key piece to our machine...it may just happen a different way now...we will just have to see...maybe that opens up money to go another route...free agency is so crazy lol.

Lol, oh yeah. Like garçon and the suckskins. More power to them, but hey enjoy sucking at least.

In the end....neither us nor they have a ring so he got paid and he hasn't lost out on a ring....and at the time they were a better team and he was looking at his first real payday. I understand if its an older guy who has made his money but these young guys have to earn it when they can. Garcon was a 6th rd pick...getting league minimum money...power to him for making something of himself and getting paid. We did a great job with the turn-around...I don't think anyone expected us to go 11-5...I can't blame Garcon for getting paid. He likely saw more money and a better team...after all we were the worst in the league and there was no guarantee it would turn out like it did.

Rex will turn Vontae into a pro bowl caliber player. They already have one of the best d-lines and went 8-8 last year. If Geno improves and they draft Mike Evans they could be a playoff team. With the release of Cromartie and Holmes i think Davis is gone. Idk what were going to do at CB if we lose Davis there's just no replacement.

If he demanding too much then let him go......I want to keep him but he is totally not worth what he may end up getting, here or elsewhere. Sad reality of NFL player salaries these days. Sigh.

I know many will harp on the second round pick thing but maybe if we lose Vontae Grigson will become smarter about making big trades and learn from his early doings.

Rex will turn Vontae into a pro bowl caliber player. They already have one of the best d-lines and went 8-8 last year. If Geno improves and they draft Mike Evans they could be a playoff team. With the release of Cromartie and Holmes i think Davis is gone. Idk what were going to do at CB if we lose Davis there's just no replacement.

There are a handful of replacements.

If he demanding too much then let him go......I want to keep him but he is totally not worth what he may end up getting, here or elsewhere. Sad reality of NFL player salaries these days. Sigh.

I know many will harp on the second round pick thing but maybe if we lose Vontae Grigson will become smarter about making big trades and learn from his early doings.

I would hope since he's punted a 1st and a potential 2nd ! lol

Not sure we have wasted a second round pick, he contributed for two years, We have seen some high picked players only give two years of service and then move on, I do not think it is a true waste, He is up and down, Other teams have went after him, (ex.) the three or four long passes. I do not worry about losing him. There may be a corner in the draft or a second tier player that we may be able to sign with money we save without going over board on him. I'm sure Grigs, and Pagano have a plan. Part of the plan may have been not over paying, and then moving on to shore up something else on the team at a more reasonable price. Onward and Upward

Stay the course, Go Colts!!!!!!!

I would hope since he's punted a 1st and a potential 2nd ! lol

True, but the Trent thing is still in progress at least. And the second rounder was last years draft so it's water under the bridge now. I enjoyed having Vontae here and hope he stays but I also don't want to treat him like he is this shutdown elite corner either. He isn't. He's good no doubt but he isn't as good as he will get paid here or elsewhere.

True, but the Trent thing is still in progress at least. And the second rounder was last years draft so it's water under the bridge now. I enjoyed having Vontae here and hope he stays but I also don't want to treat him like he is this shutdown elite corner either. He isn't. He's good no doubt but he isn't as good as he will get paid here or elsewhere.

Running backs should never be traded for a first. That was mind-boggling the day of and even more so the 5-6 months afterwards. Not agreeing to a extension with Vontae after the trade was the big mistake as well. 

Running backs should never be traded for a first. That was mind-boggling the day of and even more so the 5-6 months afterwards. Not agreeing to a extension with Vontae after the trade was the big mistake as well. 

I don't think the door is shut on Vontae returning though to the Colts, I think we just have to wait and see what happens in the next day. And if he leaves we are not automatically doomed either. We are not talking about losing Andrew Luck or Robert Mathis here.

I just hate player salaries at times and this time of year while exciting can be such a turn off too seeing the contract numbers floated around...ugh.

I don't think the door is shut on Vontae returning though to the Colts, I think we just have to wait and see what happens in the next day. And if he leaves we are not automatically doomed either. We are not talking about losing Andrew Luck or Robert Mathis here.

I just hate player salaries at times and this time of year while exciting can be such a turn off too seeing the contract numbers floated around...ugh.

Especially for grown men that play a game haha

As much as I like Vontae, I'm not keen on paying him more than 8.5 mil. He has some inconsistencies and tendency to give up on plays. He is very strong in run support which I like. I'm just afraid that he becomes injury prone or quits working hard once he gets paid. Just my fear.....no merit to it really. 

Just don't want to end up in cap hell. I would have felt better about tagging him at 12 mil than signing him for 4 years at 10-11 per.