Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Decker

oldunclemark

If I was him I would try to sign a 2 yr deal with an option to opt out after 1...say 8 mil per season. That way he would play with Peyton and get paid handsomely and have 1 or 2 more elite seasons...that would set him up for a big payout again before he hits 30 as opposed to say a 4 or 5 yr contract that would put him back on the market when he is 32 or whatever and be looking at 4-5 million likely after playing with other teams. Its a risk health wise but he has been pretty healthy. 

Funny enough lately I've been seeing a lot of writers/pundits tying him to the Colts as an offseason landing spot. I don't think he would land here but he would be a good fit on the outside and a big target for Andrew and would pair up with TY for years to come but more likely the best scenerio to me would be KC and likely Cle and Oak as other options.

I would play for free.  :)  

OK...carry on :)  Good post DG!!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think he is only going to command Brian Hartline money? If he does his agent needs fired....Jordy got his contract in Oct of 2011, when he had accomplished roughly 1,500yds in his 3 year NFL career at that point......  

What he commands and what he gets will be 2 different things. He can command $8-10 mil. per year, he probably won't get it is my contention.

I believe he ends up with an avg. of $6-7 mil. per year tops but balanced out with more than half his contract guaranteed. If a team gives him more than that, I believe they will be overpaying because he is not a #1 wideout by any stretch of imagination, IMO. 

you forgot Peytons not this up and coming 20 something year old QB......Life probably wont be all sunshine and roses after Peyton retires unless Osweiler has grown alot as a QB...which is hard to do not getting much playing time during a game (20 passes the last 2 years)

Rogers was pretty iffy the 1st year he stepped in for sure. I think the guy would enjoy his football/home life just fine staying where he is at for less $$$.

Now if its GBay, Seattle, SF, NO, SD, Car. well, hmmm! lol

What he commands and what he gets will be 2 different things. He can command $8-10 mil. per year, he probably won't get it is my contention.

I believe he ends up with an avg. of $6-7 mil. per year tops but balanced out with more than half his contract guaranteed. If a team gives him more than that, I believe they will be overpaying because he is not a #1 wideout by any stretch of imagination, IMO. 

Im simply saying that the market for WR has been set. And that is what his agent will say, and the recent $ paid out to WR is what they are going to go after, and his numbers dictate that, Peyton or not. 

If a 30yr old guy like Greg Jennings, coming off of 2 horrible years, one in which he was horrible, one in which he was hurt the entire season, can get a $9mill a year, $18 guaranteed contract, then Decker will as well, if not more.....If Dwayne Bowe can get $11.5per and $20 guaranteed, Decker will.... 

He's not going to get Calvin/Fitz $, but he's going to get paid inside the Top 10 WR. 

The Colts would be a best case scenario landing spot for Decker. 

actually that's not crazy.....at all

..but they cant pay him what he will want and probably don't see WR as a need....in their smash mouth theory

..but he's a finesse guy who can run after the catch..and he's little older than Andrew...Coby and TY

Elway expects Decker to hit the market

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 22, 2014, 9:23 AM EST

300x-40.jpg?w=250

Broncos General Manager John Elway isn’t closing the door on bringing receiver Eric Decker back, but he isn’t expecting to sign him any time soon, either.

Elway said that Decker, who becomes a free agent next month, will at least test free agency to find out his value. And Elway hinted that having enough cap space for tight end Julius Thomas, wide receiver Demaryius Thomas and wide receiver Wes Welker may be a higher priority than keeping Decker.

I think they have to hit the market, the market sets those, especially where you look where we are and what we have coming up,” Elway said. “Both Thomases are up next year. And Wes is, too. So all that plays into it. We’d love to have Eric back, but he’s made he comment he’s like to be back. He’s got to do what’s best for Eric, too, and vice versa. That’s why we go through this process.”

It seems unlikely at this point that the Broncos will keep Decker. They already have a lot of money tied up in their passing game, and keeping Thomas and Thomas next year will be a higher priority than keeping Decker this year. Decker appears to be the odd man out.

Tough decision for Decker as he is young and to sign on long term knowing Manning will be gone in a year or two is also a big factor besides the money. If I was him, I would look for a team that has a young QB that is a contender like Carolina who desperately needs WR help.

I think Peyton will play four more years barring a major injury and perhaps one more after that.

Tough decision for Decker as he is young and to sign on long term knowing Manning will be gone in a year or two is also a big factor besides the money. If I was him, I would look for a team that has a young QB that is a contender like Carolina who desperately needs WR help.

If Peyton is really gone in two years, look for Elway to try and fleece Irsay again and sign Luck.

I would love to see Decker with the Colts.  Unfortunately, it's almost inevitable that someone will overpay for him, and it's probably best to let someone else do it.

I could have sworn I saw a report the other day about the Colts having interest in him. No idea what became of that or if I'm remembering correctly though.

Elway never "fleeced" Irsay. Very stupid remark. He "bluffed " his father decades ago.

I believe the entire NFL believes that Elway "fleeced" Irsay getting Manning without giving up anything and, as you say, many years ago, his father. It wasn't a bluff. He could have played pro baseball and would have, such was the train wreck the Colts were in those days.

I could have sworn I saw a report the other day about the Colts having interest in him. No idea what became of that or if I'm remembering correctly though.

Those same reports have been on television as well. I'm not sure how I feel about signing Decker for big dollars, I'm more interested in paying that kind of money for quality people on our offensive line, d line and linebacker spots. In my eye we do need another WR but only if the deal makes good sense.  Otherwise I think we may need to look at the draft for a young game breaker.  I know you could care less as a Texans fan though!!!!!

Those same reports have been on television as well. I'm not sure how I feel about signing Decker for big dollars, I'm more interested in paying that kind of money for quality people on our offensive line, d line and linebacker spots. In my eye we do need another WR but only if the deal makes good sense.  Otherwise I think we may need to look at the draft for a young game breaker.  I know you could care less as a Texans fan though!!!!!

No, throw big bucks at him, pay him every cent he demands, I insist....no need to make the rest of the team better guys. :D

I believe the entire NFL believes that Elway "fleeced" Irsay getting Manning without giving up anything and, as you say, many years ago, his father. It wasn't a bluff. He could have played pro baseball and would have, such was the train wreck the Colts were in those days.

I don't think you know what fleeced means. 

Not true and not true. Manning would have had to agree to resign a totally different contract in order for the Colts to trade him. The deadline that they reached in march of 2013 called for the Colts to give him 27mill or release him. If they signed him and then traded him , they would have had to take a massive cap hit due to that 27 mill $ bonus. Now Manning could have signed some crazy deal allowing Irsay to get compensation , but why in the world would he do that.

So... I would say only the entire NLF that are *s believed "Elway fleeced Irsay " as Irsay had only two choices .. sign or release him. The baseball thing was a total bluff as Elway would have never played baseball over football.

Decker is another product of manning aka garçon

Garçon is a beast when he is healthy. He had his best season last year by far with an injured RG3. 113 rec / 1350 yds / rec yds g 85 / 5 TD which is one less than his season high.

I would take Garçon over Decker right now. They both drop a lot of balls but Garçon is a way better receiver.

Garçon has the skill set to be a #1 WR on most NFL teams. Decker is a #2 and #3 on a lot of teams in the league including the Colts.

I am shocked by those totals.....

I didn't watch Washington much after they hit the skids in mid-season.....,...but 1,350 yards ..is no joke

But Decker would be a No.1 on the Colts with Reggie questionable....He's proven,too.

Still....you have to count dollars....at $6 mil...Decker is good and good for you..

...at $10 mil....the Colts cant afford him.....they have to re-sign a lot of young guys in 2 years..

Garçon is a beast when he is healthy. He had his best season last year by far with an injured RG3. 113 rec / 1350 yds / rec yds g 85 / 5 TD which is one less than his season high.

I would take Garçon over Decker right now. They both drop a lot of balls but Garçon is a way better receiver.

Garçon has the skill set to be a #1 WR on most NFL teams. Decker is a #2 and #3 on a lot of teams in the league including the Colts.

Decker doesn't drop balls, he has great hands. I am a big fan of Garcon but there is no way he is a better receiver than Decker.

Decker doesn't drop balls, he has great hands. I am a big fan of Garcon but there is no way he is a better receiver than Decker.

I really don't want either for the $.

Deckers stats were really good because of Manning and single coverage by #2 and #3 cb all year thanks too Julius Thomas, Demaryius Thomas, and Welker. that's why he was such a red zone threat for Manning this past season.

Decker had the fifth worst drop rate in the league in 2012.

if you call that GREAT hands than you must want DHB back. lol

I will take Garçons hands ( 113 rec 7 drops) against double teams and #1 cb, physical athletic ability, and 4.48 speed over Deckers hands ( 87 rec 7 drops) again against single coverage #2 and #3 cb, average athletism, and 4.56 speed all day every day.

If Garçon was on the Broncos roster lining up opposite of Thomas he would make Decker look like a PS player.

I really don't want either for the $.

Deckers stats were really good because of Manning and single coverage by #2 and #3 cb all year thanks too Julius Thomas, Demaryius Thomas, and Welker. that's why he was such a red zone threat for Manning this past season.

Decker had the fifth worst drop rate in the league in 2012.

if you call that GREAT hands than you must want DHB back. lol

I will take Garçons hands ( 113 rec 7 drops) against double teams and #1 cb, physical athletic ability, and 4.48 speed over Deckers hands ( 87 rec 7 drops) again against single coverage #2 and #3 cb, average athletism, and 4.56 speed all day every day.

If Garçon was on the Broncos roster lining up opposite of Thomas he would make Decker look like a PS player.

Drop numbers are very subjective...and drop rate is a faulty barometer....who excatly keeps those stats?

The No.1 knock on Pierre when he was in  Indy was that he dropped too many..but he's faster than Decker

....Decker also ran back punts at the end of the season and did well..

Its  a close call

Well didn't know garçon was faster and stats wise had less drops then decker. Damn that sucks that we let garçon walk for nothing. Either way I would t want to take decker or garçon at 10 mill a year. Wait to draft a WR. I say we have to overpay for Oline and Defense. I rather overspending those areas. With an above average Oline time for Luck holes for Trent we are deadly on offense. And if the defense can play consistent D vavoom SB parade in downtown indy Luck hoisting the Lombardi with that awesome neck beard!!

Players and agents are under absolutely no obligation to tell the truth at any time

That sounded pretty truthful to me, I dont know how much more you can get then him saying he had to do whats right for him and his family

I like Decker, and think he would be a huge added bonus for the Colts. The team could sign him... and focus on putting a defense together this year then worry about drafting a receiver next year to eventually replace Reggie.

Make a couple of big splashes... and save because it won't be long before a few big contracts come up.

I think Decker would be more of a luxury to the offense and not a position that will make or break us. There's Reggie coming back, TY, Allen, Fleener, Whalen, Brazil, Darick, and draft!! That's a lot of weapons we have already granted 3 of them are PS players but we also have A Luck third year pro this upcoming year is where he will be labeled as an Elite passer!!

If he was smart he'd just stay in Denver so Manning can keep making him look better than he is. 

I'm sure that's a factor but Decker did have 600 yards and 8 tds in his first year as a starter with Tim Tebow throwing him passes so I think he has some skills. I don't know that I would say he is a must have for us tho.