Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you want Bethea to stay?

Naptown Lifer

bethea staY  

131 members have voted

1. 1. You want bethea to stay?

• yes
    • no

Bethea is set to hit the FA market unless resigned.  Landry was just signed to like a 3 year contract and will cost A LOT of cap if we cut him.

I guess it depends on how much the penalty is and weigh how much he would make vs the penalty. The Colts have the money to do it but yes I don't see them paying 5 million to do it.

I guess it depends on how much the penalty is and weigh how much he would make vs the penalty. The Colts have the money to do it but yes I don't see them paying 5 million to do it.

Landry is scheduled to make $4.75 mill in 2014....Dead cap would be $5.25 mill, yeah he isn't going anywhere after one season

I don't think anyone is really hating on Bethea, but we really need to consider getting a FS.  Bethea is reliable when making tackles, but we need someone who can create turnovers and is good in coverage.  Salary also needs to be considered, because talent wise we aren't very good.  You don't hear a lot of big names coming out of the colts especially on defense.

The problem is many of us expect that he's going to draw a significant offer from somewhere, and probably one based more on how good he's been then how good he is.

All things being equal I'd want him back. He's still a good safety and a great Colt.

Bethea has been a rock on D. 

right, he has been but wasn't last year and probably wont be next year.  We need a player who is a ball hawk at FS in our new D.  I didn't think he was the guy, and then he dropped the pick in the end zone during the NE game and I knew he wasnt the guy.  

I love Bethea....but it does hurt saying no because he is on the downfall... we need a young, ball hawking safety. Someone here said it is kind of like the Freeney situation which I agree with 100% I loved Freeney but sometimes you just have to move on and upgrade for the sake of the team. I mean if he is resigned, its not a bad thing, I just think for the sake of the team, upgrading to a ballhwaking safety is better. GO COLTS

Real problem is both Bethea at this stage of his career and Landry probably play closer to the box, so unless we are going to play a lot of 3 safety looks, it won't be worth the money spent if Bethea is looking anywhere close to $5 mil. a year. Get some younger legs with range and let Landry play closer to the box and hope Landry does not have tackle blunders like he had with Blount.

I think Bethea is looking for a pay day that Grigson isn't willing to pay unfortunately. 

I love what he done for the Colts, but he's lost a step or 3. He's still good against the run, but his coverage skills have declined. The poor guy can't play clean up for Landry all the time, AND make plays constantly. 

Big bad Landry is simply horrendous in coverage...awful.

AB?  Only if the price is right...a lot of good FS and SS in the draft.  Toler can go too...and of course Cassius and Gordy!  :)

Bethea isn't a back up. He can start on more than half of NFL teams.

Meh a few teams, Certainly not half. Many teams have younger Safeties that are more talented then him:

Texans

Cowboys

Rams

I can see him starting on

He can compete on a lot of teams to start but there is alot of young Safeties with more talent then him or as much talent

Real problem is both Bethea at this stage of his career and Landry probably play closer to the box, so unless we are going to play a lot of 3 safety looks, it won't be worth the money spent if Bethea is looking anywhere close to $5 mil. a year. Get some younger legs with range and let Landry play closer to the box and hope Landry does not have tackle blunders like he had with Blount.

Yep. My thoughts on both exactly. I knew Landry was not good in coverage, but that whiff on Blount was a key play in the game. Sure he's fine vs. the run, but we honestly need a very good (not just good) cover safety in at least one of those spots.

His effectiveness in this system has dropped. I think he goes to Detroit, or Tampa where he will be in a defense better suited for him. (Assuming calledwell plans to run a C2)

Yeah, makes me wish Angerer & Bethea were under contract. Trade them both to Tampa Bay for probably 5-7th round picks.

The more picks the better imo. But both those guys are better suited for the cover 2 defense

I actually want Landry cut. I dont think Bethea and Landry make a good tandem

We aren't going to cut Landry. If he had a cap-friendly deal, maybe we would, but not after 1 year and a lot of dead money. He's staying.

This is what makes Bethea expendable. I love having him on our team and hope he will sign for less money and become a back-up, but he will want to play and I can't blame him. There are teams(Texans?) that would love to have Bethea. I think we upgrade at FS for the same money someone will pay Bethea and make Landry more of a LB than a SS(think Kam Chancellor). I hope we sign Byrd or Ward, but I can't see us putting all that money into the secondary on top of a new contract for Vontae. Safeties that can dominate a game like last night's game and it showed what a true secondary can do. 

I'm excited for free agency. I just hope we stop paying back-ups so much money for little impact. I want to see if Grigson can learn from his mistakes and even make a key move or two that shows he's not stubborn(Satele..cough).