Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lions hire Jim Caldwell as HC [Merge]

CantBeStopped

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the link.  Good luck, Jim.  You handle the offense, and the D just needs some discipline.  It is a nice 'offensive' hire for Lions.  He sure helped Baltimore after Cameron's firing.

Still....not a Caldwell fan...just wish him the best in the Black and Blue division.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10292434/detroit-lions-hire-jim-caldwell-new-head-coach

I smell another Detroit disaster. 

I don't think he lasts 4 years in Detroit.

Hell no. Two years maximum as they will be competing with Bears and Packers and I do not see them win.

If they think Caldwell is a good QB coach since he "coached" Manning, well good luck on that...

That's what I don't like:

"Indianapolis Colts quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen could be the top choice for the offensive coordinator job with the Detroit Lions. Christensen worked together with head coach Jim Caldwell in Indianapolis."

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/news.php#888991?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I hope it is just guessing and nothing serious.

Edit: it is just guessing indeed. I hope Christensen stays.

Edited by HungarianColtsFan

"Indianapolis Colts quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen could be the top choice for the offensive coordinator job with the Detroit Lions. Christensen worked together with head coach Jim Caldwell in Indianapolis."

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/news.php#888991?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I bet Clyde goes.  He would be a 'comfortable hire' for JC...Just my opinion...

He is our QB coach.  I bet there is someone out there who would LOVE to work with Andrew.  I would love it :)

QB coach to OC is a huge step and nobody can resist it, and think about the weapons they have in Megatron and Reggie Bush.

Posted · Hidden by -JJ-, January 14, 2014 - course language
Hidden by -JJ-, January 14, 2014 - course language

I have always respected Lions fans because they have never won a Superbowl. If you are a diehard fan of a team that's been around that long and never won a ring then you are a true fan and not a bandwagon jumper.

With that being said ........ Caldwell stinks. I feel bad for them for having him. With out Polian to tell him when to squat and when to wipe he won't know what to do.

Congratulations to Jim Caldwell !!! Now, we will truly find if he was indeed held back by Bill Polian considerably.

I still believe he will do better than people expect him to and might make more noise for the NFC North division with the Lions' talent assembled. He definitely has had a history of positive influence on the QB position, with Peyton and with Flacco. Now, their WRs might start learning the importance of running routes across the board which they seriously lack. There is a huge dropoff in attention to detail, it feels like, to me on the receiving front, after Megatron.

The indiscipline part is what I am not sure if he can avoid a Schwartz like repeat scenario.

I for one believe JC will be great for Stafford in that he will stress proper mechanics and good decision making.  Stafford sorely needs help with the mental aspect and Jim provides that without coddling.  There is no denying that Matt's physical attributes for the position are elite, thus if Caldwell can fix his mental-state then the sky is the limit. 

JC would also be wise to hire an inspirational DC to light a fire under that underachieving defense.

I think Detroit will improve due to firing Shwartz more than anything.

Still....not a Caldwell fan...just wish him the best in the Black and Blue division.

Did he, though?  The Ravens limped into the playoffs in 2012 and Flacco got hot Eli-style at the right time to make a run in the playoffs.  This season their offense was putrid.  Among the very worst in the league in total yardage, rushing yardage, points, turnovers, sacks allowed, penalties...

Throw in all that with his Colts tenure and it REALLY feels like the Lions flubbed this one bad.

This jumped out at me as the perfect landing spot for him from the moment it opened up. His calm, professional approach is EXACTLY what that group of thugs needs. Schwartz seemed to just feed the nonsense. He's also the perfect coach to take Stafford to the next level and extract more from that offense.

As much as people people relish the idea that he is a buffoon - credited for nothing good and responsible for everything bad - the fact is that he has been a key component of three teams that reached the SB, that he's held in high regard by Dungy and Manning at a minimum and that he's loved by his players. If he is able to hire a strong coaching staff that team could turn around and immediately win the division.

Jim seems like a very good guy.  It's possible he learned from some of his mistakes as the Colts head coach.  That being said, he doesn't seem to have the personality the Lions need.  They need a disciplinarian to stop all the stupid stuff holding them back.  The Lions might be the most talented team in the league but I certainly don't see Caldwell pulling that potential out of them.

LOL. The emotionless wonder of the world gets a head-coaching gig again. 

29th ranked offense this year...some guru.

I'm not sure he's the greatest OC, but the Ravens offensive woes were numerous and far ranging. You can't blame him for everything. He certainly didn't trade Boldin !

Jim seems like a very good guy.  It's possible he learned from some of his mistakes as the Colts head coach.  That being said, he doesn't seem to have the personality the Lions need.  They need a disciplinarian to stop all the stupid stuff holding them back.  The Lions might be the most talented team in the league but I certainly don't see Caldwell pulling that potential out of them.

personality wont matter compared to Jim Schwartrz

.....He went into his interview with a complete analysis of every game Stafford played last year..

he's getting a playoff ready team with a potentially devastating offense..

I'm not sure he's the greatest OC, but the Ravens offensive woes were numerous and far ranging. You can't blame him for everything. He certainly didn't trade Boldin !

Living in NW Ohio, I had the "pleasure" of seeing them play the Browns/Bengals/Steelers often this year and their O was so predictable. 

His big boon for success was coaching Peyton, but I think Fred Flinstone could have coached Peyton and he would be the same.