Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jon Gruden: Colts are 'team of destiny'

SilentHill

I think we have a US Marshal on our hands folks, potentially a Jedi with the right training.

I don't think he's a padawan anymore tho.  

So my question is: choosing from Manning, Luck, and Brady, which one is Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, and the Emperor?   :hmm:

Or should I chuck out Darth Vader for Anakin Skywalker...?   :thinking:

The answer is that I have gone too far into this metaphor.  Or is it a simile...?     :scratch:

Perhaps he's Private First Class... :dunno:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Andrew gets better as the game goes on.

PEPS game plans and the route running are really coming on.

The O comes down to Andrews decision making and ACCURACY and opportune runs.

The D comes down to personnel.

Yes on Gordy.

More McNary, Chapman, M Hughes

Less Sheppard, Franklin

NO Toler

Beyond Toler being on the IR.....    another player on your list -- Montori Hughes -- is also on the IR.

Too bad....   it'd be great if they were healthy....      but they're not.

Oh well.....

I don't think he's a padawan anymore tho.  

So my question is: choosing from Manning, Luck, and Brady, which one is Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, and the Emperor?   :hmm:

Or should I chuck out Darth Vader for Anakin Skywalker...?   :thinking:

The answer is that I have gone too far into this metaphor.  Or is it a simile...?     :scratch:

Perhaps he's Private First Class... :dunno:

Belichick is Darth Vader, Peyton is Han Solo, Luck is Chewbacca (or maybe an Ewok), Brady is Anakin Skywalker, Polian is the Emperor, and Irsay with his mystic tweets is Yoda of course.

Belichick is Darth Vader, Peyton is Han Solo, Luck is Chewbacca (or maybe an Ewok), Brady is Anakin Skywalker, Polian is the Emperor, and Irsay with his mystic tweets is Yoda of course.

"He's more machine now than man.  Twisted and evil."    :P

Luck can't be Chewie.  He wouldn't be afraid of going back to the garbage compactor.  And he's a little big to be an ewok, but they're tenacious little buggers.  

It is amazing to me how no one believes in Denver this year with Manning's historic season. Not sure if I have ever seen a team accomplish more in the regular season and be totally glossed over in the post-season by a second year QB to boot. Manning has to be seething.

but as he also stated “Everybody loves the favorite" and it's true. a lot of people believe it will be denver vs seattle in the super bowl because they were the two best teams in the NFL based off standings. and what a player does in the regular season has no barring on what happens in the post season. how many MVP seasons did he have in indy?? he has 1 superbowl to show for it. but as Manning's history has shown in post season play, an offensive based team with no defense will not go far into the playoffs. 

second: hot teams the last couple of years have reached the super bowl, and the # 1 seed hasnt made it since 09 i believe. and right now the colts got hot at the right time. 

in the end i projected Manning vs Luck rematch in AFCCG. but picked Colts vs Panthers in super bowl and im sticking with it lol

He basically says we're going to win the superbowl. I like this guy :)

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/3334/jon-gruden-colts-team-of-destiny?src=mobile

INDIANAPOLIS -- Former NFL coach and current ESPN "Monday Night Football" analyst Jon Gruden was on “Mike & Mike” Wednesday morning.

Gruden praised the New England Patriots for being a good home team and quarterback Tom Brady's ability to win no matter the weather conditions.

But -- to the pleasure of Indianapolis Colts fans -- Gruden picked the Colts to beat the Patriots in Saturday’s AFC divisional playoff game at Gillette Stadium.

“I have a feeling about [Colts quarterback] Andrew Luck,” Gruden said on the show. “I think this is a team of destiny in the AFC. What Andrew Luck did last week against the Kansas City Chiefs will go down in history as one of the greatest performances in history. I think Indianapolis is going to go there and shock New England.”

Gruden didn’t pick the Colts simply off their 28-point comeback against the Chiefs last weekend. He picked them because the Colts are on a four-game winning streak.

“I’ve seen the last three Super Bowl winners do it from the wild-card position,” Gruden said. “Everybody loves the favorite. I just think the last 3-4 years if you get hot and your quarterback is on fire, look out. I’ve never seen that kind of performance from almost any quarterback. That was amazing to me last week.”

It should be reminded that Jon also picked Houston to win the division last fall

Yeah, I guess so. I kind of feel bad for him. The weight of the world is on his shoulders given last year's one and done and the historic season this year. I am not sure if he could have gotten a worse draw then SD as well in the divisional. Still, I think he wins Sunday. Just a feeling.

Denver is going to Spank San Diego, Welker is back. Should be good.

I just fell asleep for a few hours and had a dream that I was watching the Colts/Pats game with Bradley Cooper of all people. So, I didn't know the score and I was freaking out and he looked at me and goes "Whats your problem, you know the Colts are going to win the Super Bowl anyway."

I said really? And he yells "REALLY YES THEY ARE WINNING THE SUPER BOWL".

Then I jumped around and started shouting "We are going to win the Super Bowl."

And then I stopped and looked at him and said why are you not happy and he goes "I really don't care much about the Colts."

Then I woke up.......

but as he also stated “Everybody loves the favorite" and it's true. a lot of people believe it will be denver vs seattle in the super bowl because they were the two best teams in the NFL based off standings. and what a player does in the regular season has no barring on what happens in the post season. how many MVP seasons did he have in indy?? he has 1 superbowl to show for it. but as Manning's history has shown in post season play, an offensive based team with no defense will not go far into the playoffs. 

second: hot teams the last couple of years have reached the super bowl, and the # 1 seed hasnt made it since 09 i believe. and right now the colts got hot at the right time. 

in the end i projected Manning vs Luck rematch in AFCCG. but picked Colts vs Panthers in super bowl and im sticking with it lol

How are the Colts any hotter then the Chargers who have won their last 5 straight and dominated the Bengals while the Colts let up 44 to the Chiefs? Also the Ravens lost 4 of their last 5 last year before tearing through the playoffs. I do agree that the seedings don't have a lot of bearing but this idea of a "hot" team or a "destined" team seems silly. Whoever has the favorable match ups and plays the best and has some luck wins. I know that is boring but it is true.

How are the Colts any hotter then the Chargers who have won their last 5 straight and dominated the Bengals while the Colts let up 44 to the Chiefs? Also the Ravens lost 4 of their last 5 last year before tearing through the playoffs. I do agree that the seedings don't have a lot of bearing but this idea of a "hot" team or a "destined" team seems silly. Whoever has the favorable match ups and plays the best and has some luck wins. I know that is boring but it is true.

Well, I will tell you how. When you score touchdowns the way we were scoring in the last half, you become the hottest team. It was historical playoff scoring.

Well, I will tell you how. When you score touchdowns the way we were scoring in the last half, you become the hottest team. It was historical playoff scoring.

For one half, sure. But that was not a very good game overall and most agree a similar performance will end your season. I will take the way Chargers are playing right now over any team. But again means nothing unless they bring it against a very potent Denver O.

Yeah, I guess so. I kind of feel bad for him. The weight of the world is on his shoulders given last year's one and done and the historic season this year. I am not sure if he could have gotten a worse draw then SD as well in the divisional. Still, I think he wins Sunday. Just a feeling.

There is also the thing about his defense.  The defense wasn't that good in the first place and then they lost Von Miller.

If he has an off day or just runs into a defense capable of holding his offense to under 40 points then he could be in serious trouble.  

For one half, sure. But that was not a very good game overall and most agree a similar performance will end your season. I will take the way Chargers are playing right now over any team. But again means nothing unless they bring it against a very potent Denver O.

I think San Diego's run ends this weekend.  They have been too inconsistent all season and the win at KC late in the  season was a fluke - they shouldn't be here.  They were lucky to draw the Bengals although SD played its best game of the year.  I don't think they can win a shoot out in Denver - they beat Denver when the Broncos had some injuries on offense - I think Welker and Thomas were out.

I think San Diego's run ends this weekend.  They have been too inconsistent all season and the win at KC late in the  season was a fluke - they shouldn't be here.  They were lucky to draw the Bengals although SD played its best game of the year.  I don't think they can win a shoot out in Denver - they beat Denver when the Broncos had some injuries on offense - I think Welker and Thomas were out.

I would not call their win against KC a fluke. They were fortunate the penalty was not called on the FG but then again couldn't you make a case that they are getting some breaks just the way the Colts have with all those key players going down for the Chiefs and then the fumble that happened to bounce just right into Luck's hands?

In terms of this weekend, there will be no shootout IMO. In the two games the Chargers have played they have held the Broncos to their lowest outputs of the season - 28 and 20. That is an average of 24 points a game. In addition, in the last game they made some key adjustments from the first meeting which allowed them to force several three and outs from Manning which led to a ball control run game from their O. This for sure is the toughest match up for a Denver team that relies on the pass game and has a D that is missing its best player in Miller. And remember Miller was there when they played just a few weeks ago in Denver.

I would not call their win against KC a fluke. They were fortunate the penalty was not called on the FG but then again couldn't you make a case that they are getting some breaks just the way the Colts have with all those key players going down for the Chiefs and then the fumble that happened to bounce just right into Luck's hands?

In terms of this weekend, there will be no shootout IMO. In the two games the Chargers have played they have held the Broncos to their lowest outputs of the season - 28 and 20. That is an average of 24 points a game. In addition, in the last game they made some key adjustments from the first meeting which allowed them to force several three and outs from Manning which led to a ball control run game from their O. This for sure is the toughest match up for a Denver team that relies on the pass game and has a D that is missing its best player in Miller. And remember Miller was there when they played just a few weeks ago in Denver.

Fluke is not the right word - the Chargers played an uninspired game against KC's second string with a playoff berth on the line.  To me that underscores some systemic issues with that team.  But they won last week so maybe that's in the past and they are "the hot" team.

But I do think that the Broncos at full offensive strength, coming off a bye, will start fast because Peyton has had two weeks to prepare.  Because the Broncos defense is lacking, they have to make Rivers play from behind and go back to being a gunslinger.  That's when he makes mistakes.  I thought that the Chargers were brilliant last week going to ball control and not putting Rivers in a position to make mistakes.  He's obviously capable of winning in a shootout but it increases the likelihood of seeing his bad side

The point of this thread is Grudens opinion and not ours. His opinion carries some weight in that he can look pretty stupid going against the media tide by saying we are the team of destiny and not the Evil Empire. So, congrats to him for taking a stand.

Fluke is not the right word - the Chargers played an uninspired game against KC's second string with a playoff berth on the line.  To me that underscores some systemic issues with that team.  But they won last week so maybe that's in the past and they are "the hot" team.

But I do think that the Broncos at full offensive strength, coming off a bye, will start fast because Peyton has had two weeks to prepare.  Because the Broncos defense is lacking, they have to make Rivers play from behind and go back to being a gunslinger.  That's when he makes mistakes.  I thought that the Chargers were brilliant last week going to ball control and not putting Rivers in a position to make mistakes.  He's obviously capable of winning in a shootout but it increases the likelihood of seeing his bad side

Yeah, I think it is critical for the Broncos to get to an early lead. Rivers only attempted 14 passes I believe last week which may be the most amazing stat of the weekend. They have the run game, the D and the timely passing game. But Rivers can also sling it if it becomes a shoot out. I think it will be the most entertaining game of the week with the Pats/Colts as a close second. :)

See even at age 36 Tom Brady is still the best in my opinion, and the best I've ever seen before I used to say Montana was.  And its not like he lost the ability to surgically slice and dice defenses and explode for a good 45 or 50 points because he still has that ability.  If he has time in this game then its over, just speaking from a football point of view.  And they are going to take Robert Mathis out of the game, so its up to Andrew Luck to keep up and not make any mistakes.

He likes the Sheriff, now he likes the Deputy..

.....or is there a NEW Sheriff in town?  I'm sure Andrew doesn't want to be known as anyone's deputy. LOL 

.... as far as the Denver game goes, I like Peyton and all, and loved him while he was here.  He has struggled with San Diego in the playoffs before, and they were NOT a divisional team.  Maybe that works to his favor being in the division, but maybe it works against him.  We'll see and it will be interesting, but to be real honest, I just care about what the Colts get done this weekend.  I hope we roll the Pats and come out injury free.   ......please Santa? :D