Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have a "stable" fanbase [Merge]

BlueStallion

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the games I attend are not "big ticket" games due to financial reasons. The disposable income from my single days is used for other things now (house, kid, etc). The "biggest" games I attended were the 2006 playoff game against the Chiefs, the 2007 game against the Chargers, and the LOS opener against the Bears. I split a pair of season tix that season with a friend and it didn't work out well...always argued over who got what game, will never do it again that way. I don't need season tickets anyway, one or two games a year is enough for me.

That said, having attended non "big ticket" games in recent years, I can say this. They may be sellouts, but the stadium isn't always full. In 2010 I won two tix to the Colts/Bengals game in the 600s, south endzone. We had a row to ourselves and the section was maybe 3/4 full. This year at the home Titans game the corners up high had empties a plenty. It is nowhere near the 80s-90s half full Dome days, but there are games where the place isn't standing room only. That said, it's still plenty loud and always a good time.

Oh and the article...ridiculous. The Eagles? They had a jail in their old stadium! Anyone seen "Silver Linings Playbook?" I have some friends in Philly and they say the fans aren't too far off of DeNiro's character in that film. (He plays a ridiculously obsessed Eagles fan)

I'd say the Colts fans are stable....a lot are spoiled, but we don't have murders outside of the Luke either. In all my games, both at the Dome and LOS, the worst I've seen is a few drunken fistfights and shouting matches.

Here we go again. I gave mine up due to a job loss , been a diehard since Baltimore, you gonna call me a bandwagon fan since I'm wanting my ST back? You got a lot of nerve. How do we know you didn't just jump on the wagon when they got Manning and started winning.

Hey, where are your Ravens season tickets ?

Most of the games I attend are not "big ticket" games due to financial reasons. The disposable income from my single days is used for other things now (house, kid, etc). The "biggest" games I attended were the 2006 playoff game against the Chiefs, the 2007 game against the Chargers, and the LOS opener against the Bears. I split a pair of season tix that season with a friend and it didn't work out well...always argued over who got what game, will never do it again that way. I don't need season tickets anyway, one or two games a year is enough for me.

That said, having attended non "big ticket" games in recent years, I can say this. They may be sellouts, but the stadium isn't always full. I 2010 I won two tix to the Colts/Bengals game in the 600s, south endzone. We had a row to ourselves and the section was maybe 3/4 full. This year at the home Titans game the corners up high had empties a plenty. It is nowhere near the 80s-90s half full Dome days, but there are games where the place isn't standing room only. That said, it's still plenty loud and always a good time.

Oh and the article...ridiculous. The Eagles? They had a jail in their old stadium! Anyone seen "Silver Linings Playbook?" I have some friends in Philly and they say the fans aren't too far off of DeNiro's character in that film. (He plays a ridiculously obsessed Eagles fan)

I'd say the Colts fans are stable....a lot are spoiled, but we don't have murders outside of the Luke either. In all my games, both at the Dome and LOS, the worst I've seen is a few drunken fistfights and shouting matches.

a lot of fans with really high seats hang out in the bud light party zone instead of their seats. You can still watch the game from there

a lot of fans with really high seats hang out in the bud light party zone instead of their seats. You can still watch the game from there

That's a good point, but that can't account for all the missing fans. I am not trying to argue, it's not unreasonable that some people don't attend the non marquee matchups, especially the 1pm starts. The Titans game this season really didn't get rocking until mid 3rd quarter. My guess is it took that long for people to "lubricate" their vocal cords, lol

Hey, where are your Ravens season tickets ?

Im from Illinois , my Dad was a Johnny U era Colts fan and was a huge Colts fan his whole life. I don't have any connection to Maryland but some of the older fans on here do. The Colts moving to Indy , right down the road, was purely coincidental . We used to tune in the Baltimore broadcasts before they moved on radio. Even saw them play . I was a huge Bert Jones fan.

Not when there was about 5 minutes left in the 4th.  That place was half empty by then.  Not that it really addresses what this "study" is about, but I just thought it was worth a mention.

That is actually nice to see a stadium emptying bc our team is winning....seeing the Rams game at the end was sad. Happens nearly everywhere in a blowout though...

Not when there was about 5 minutes left in the 4th. That place was half empty by then. Not that it really addresses what this "study" is about, but I just thought it was worth a mention.

i took off before the end of the forth quarter. Had the game been in doubt i would have stuck around.

i took off before the end of the forth quarter. Had the game been in doubt i would have stuck around.

I wasn't saying it to call anyone's allegiance into question...just thought it was funny that yo usaid that after a comfortable win and how empty the stadium was before the end of the game.  I was there myself, where's your seats?  I was in Sec. 631.  Family members had season tix, and couldn't go last minute.  Couldn't resist.

I wasn't saying it to call anyone's allegiance into question...just thought it was funny that yo usaid that after a comfortable win and how empty the stadium was before the end of the game. I was there myself, where's your seats? I was in Sec. 631. Family members had season tix, and couldn't go last minute. Couldn't resist.

i don't have season tickets. I live three hours away. I get tickets on stubhub. But we were in section 616 for the Texans game

You would never have guessed it by visiting this forum after a loss but, apparently, we're much more stable than other fan bases around the league!

Below is an excerpt.

"Some of the fan bases that responded the most negatively after losses were also the most positive after wins, giving them a high ranking on the study's list of "unstable" franchises. For example, tweets from Steelers fans were 79.6 percent positive following wins in 2012, but just 33.1 percent of tweets were positive following a loss. That 46.5 percent gap made the Steelers the second most unstable fan base, following the Raiders' 47 percent margin.

In contrast, the gap for Dallas Cowboys fans was just 4.8 percent. That made them the most "stable" fans, followed by the Colts, Eagles, Texans and Falcons, who perhaps have reduced expectations.

The Patriots ranked third on both the list of unstable fan bases and saddest fan bases after a loss. They did not make the happiest fan base list, which was led by the Saints (92.1 percent positive tweets after a win), Browns, Raiders, Seahawks and Bears."

Not sure I would put too much stock into their "research" but the article did make me chuckle a bit.  The link is below.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/study-reveals-nfl-s-most-unstable-fan-base-any-guesses-121613

We have had "We are winning the Super Bowl" to "We will not win another game" on here this year.

Honestly, I used to participate more in the various forms of the forums, but the UNstability of the forum is over the top.

That's the thing is that they didn't and probably can't measure how negative or how positive a statement is.

But there is a huge difference in a positive statement between saying that your team played a good game and saying that your team is gonna win the SB or that your team is unbeatable or something like that.

The same way that there is a difference between saying that your team had a rough game and saying "We'll never win again, hello #1 draft pick."

What was, perhaps, my favorite part of the article was this little tidbit.

"The Patriots ranked third on both the list of unstable fan bases and saddest fan bases after a loss."

How can any self-respecting Colts fan not agree with that finding?  We've been saying it for years!

"In contrast, the gap for Dallas Cowboys fans was just 4.8 percent. That made them the most "stable" fans, followed by the Colts, Eagles, Texans and Falcons,* who perhaps have reduced expectations.*"

Colts fan base may have a lot of negative Nancy's

We have had "We are winning the Super Bowl" to "We will not win another game" on here this year.

Honestly, I used to participate more in the various forms of the forums, but the UNstability of the forum is over the top.

I was never one of the people who said we are winning the super bowl but never said we wouldnt win another game. I have pegged us as an 11 win team no less then 10 wins this year. have had faith in the horse shoe all year even when other fans on here would say the other team would beat down on the colts including teams like denver, seattle and san fran

"In contrast, the gap for Dallas Cowboys fans was just 4.8 percent. That made them the most "stable" fans, followed by the Colts, Eagles, Texans and Falcons,* who perhaps have reduced expectations.*"

Colts fan base may have a lot of negative Nancy's

as in a lot of em saying we will get beat up on by KC this weekend. there is no faith in the colts from a lot of colts fans, it's a shame too considering how hard their playing with what they have on OLine and the defensive secondary. 

I have so many issues with the credibility if the article and it's premise, it is hard to quantify.

For instance, I'd argue that a fan base is more consistent if the same people are replying after either a win or loss, regardless of their disposition. Being optimistic or pessimistic isn't the measure of how consistent a fan is, it only measures the steadiness of their mood.

And I have to imagine the Chicken Littles on this forum must explain why the Colts rank as so consistent, by the author's apparent measuring stick. The sky is always falling around here, the players on our favorite team are always awful, our coaching staff always needs to be replaced, and a disaster looms over every horizon.

And how many stuck around after the 2011 season

You point is as preposterous as it is garbage. I reckon no true Colts fans 'quit'. They were fans of Peyton first, then the Colts. Which is entirely their prerogative.

I for one spent 2000 hard earned Great British Pounds to fly circa 9000 miles, which took over 26 hours in total, for a 3 hour game of football, to see my Colts. And there are oodles more who do a lot more than that. This after a 2-14 season less than two years prior. You are not even a fan, you are a poster fan boy who has no clue about what fandom is. All you want to do is cry about a few fans who followed their hearts. Get over it.

Probably one reason we are considered a stable fan-base because of the constant 12 win seasons in the Manning era, that has carried over to the Luck era.

I started as a Colts fan since 1998 on the tail end of that year because I remember Peyton's rookie year and that we were 3-13. My uncle did a good job of not only showing me the present games, but taping NFL Films Baltimore Colts games with Johnny U, Lenny Moore, Raymond Berry, Art Donovan, Gino Marchetti, Don Shula. He taught me the history of the franchise rather than letting me just watch the present, and only knowing about Peyton Manning, Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis.

I have always wanted to go see a game in the RCA Dome, and sad that I never got to go, but now I just want to make a road trip to LOS. 

I never once thought of leaving the fan base when Peyton left, I cried during the press conference, but the Colts was the first pro team I watched. 

I would agree that we are one of the more stable fan bases in the league.