Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Houston Has Given Up!

Manning1887

First off, it was nice to get the win yesterday. I was happy to see Trent rip off a couple of nice runs. Hopefully Donald's injury is not too serious. I thought the offensive line had a nice game as well. Unfortunately, we have to lead the league in dropped passes. It is unreal.

That being said, it is clear that Houston has packed it in this season. Their playcalling was horrendous. All year we have gotten burned by teams going deep, yet Houston went deep all of 2 or 3 times. The protection was good enough for them to go deep, and the running game was good enough to work the play action. Case Keenum is a capable quarterback, but he is being set up to fail. It is too bad. I just think it is bad for the game when that sort of thing happens.

That being said, Houston could be scary on defense next year. ESPN was reporting that Bridgewater is wavering and may go back to school next year. I imagine the Texans will go with Clowney in the draft, and that is downright terrifying to thing of Watt and Clowney coming off the edge together.

One final tidbit for all the posts I have seen praising Pep Hamilton. I was disappointed yesterday, and really have been disappointed with him all season. We run more 3rd down plays short of the first down than any team in the league. You want to know how you lose football games in the NFL? Settle for field goals!

Not only Houston gave up yesterday, even Colts took of their feet from gas pedal in the second half!

Pagano neither wanted to outscore totally disinterested and  hapless Texans who gave up the game, nor wanted to risk more injuries. We lost 5 players anyway, I don't know yet if they could play next Sunday. IMO it is better to preserve our forces for the PO.

The Colts need not apologize, just keep improving. The Texans did not quit, they were beaten by a better team, next stop KC.  If we beat the Chiefs how will you rationalize that? If these guys can beat the Broncos, we can damn sure beat the Chiefs. I wonder if the Chiefs fans are worried about their leaky defense of late or if they are just happy with the win?

First off, it was nice to get the win yesterday. I was happy to see Trent rip off a couple of nice runs. Hopefully Donald's injury is not too serious. I thought the offensive line had a nice game as well. Unfortunately, we have to lead the league in dropped passes. It is unreal.

That being said, it is clear that Houston has packed it in this season. Their playcalling was horrendous. All year we have gotten burned by teams going deep, yet Houston went deep all of 2 or 3 times. The protection was good enough for them to go deep, and the running game was good enough to work the play action. Case Keenum is a capable quarterback, but he is being set up to fail. It is too bad. I just think it is bad for the game when that sort of thing happens.

That being said, Houston could be scary on defense next year. ESPN was reporting that Bridgewater is wavering and may go back to school next year. I imagine the Texans will go with Clowney in the draft, and that is downright terrifying to thing of Watt and Clowney coming off the edge together.

One final tidbit for all the posts I have seen praising Pep Hamilton. I was disappointed yesterday, and really have been disappointed with him all season. We run more 3rd down plays short of the first down than any team in the league. You want to know how you lose football games in the NFL? Settle for field goals!

second half we went conservative against the texans. Showing the other NFL teams we play not to lose not play to win

You're a little loopy if you think other NFL teams garnered anything significant from our second half. Everyone, including the Texans, knew that game was over.

Also we won the game by a wide margin so going conservative was obviously a good approach for this scenario.

I definitely saw improvement in yesterday's game, and liked that Pep had included some of the plays we have been screaming for all season long.  I would have preferred that we kept our foot on the gas throughout the game, as a big, big win can help build confidence in the offense's play.  (something we sorely need after seven weeks of inept play)  

Has Pep turned the corner, or was this a case of playing a team that has totally given up?  We shall see next week after KC.  We will have a much clearer view of our team's mindset after the next test.

Glad to see the Colts get the win.

I agree, but it means nothing if we go back to the old look colts from the past few weeks and get blown out again next week.  It's a win, but they have lost 11 in a row coming in..... so let's take the win and prepare to play a LOT better in the next several weeks!

The chiefs defense is still great but you know what will happen pep will call a stupid game and pagan will look lost as usual. We will get blown out.

Posts like this are the reason I limit my activity on this site. I believe only 2 teams have locked up their divisions so far. Can you name the 2 and read them over and over and over again please till it sinks in that the Colts are a great team and will get better and better every year.

You mean scary at DE.

Their NT still sucks, and they are still weak at LB and DB.  That's why they lose every week.  One offseason won't shore all of those holes.....especially considering their cap situation.

The Texans haven't looked great all year, but they have lost some close games, a weird stat that I heard over the weekend on vegas radio, is that historically teams have like a 70% win percentage after firing the HC during the season...

I expected Wade to have the defense fired up & game planned to try and win assuming he is coaching for the permanent HC position, I realize that part of Wade's conditions for taking over HC duties was consideration for the permanent HC job, so I guess my logic would say that he just makes his claim for the job that much better by winning the last few games...

The Texans haven't looked great all year, but they have lost some close games, a weird stat that I heard over the weekend on vegas radio, is that historically teams have like a 70% win percentage after firing the HC during the season...

I expected Wade to have the defense fired up & game planned to try and win assuming he is coaching for the permanent HC position, I realize that part of Wade's conditions for taking over HC duties was consideration for the permanent HC job, so I guess my logic would say that he just makes his claim for the job that much better by winning the last few games...

According to reports, Bob McNair said finishing strong was most important to him, and Wade was in consideration. Logic dictates best Wade going 2-1 over the last 3 and fixing some of the mental errors would make him leading candidate for the job.

Wade brought in live game officials during practice to try and bring down penalties. The team came close to beating its own penalty record it set just one week prior, and got blown out in the first half by a traditionaly slow starting Colts team. Not a good start for Wade.

When the Patriots escape the Texans with a 27-24 win, it was about how close the Texans' losses were. When the Colts terminated the Texans, it was about the Texans given up. When the Patriots put 59-0 on 0-6 Titans, they were perfectionists. When the Colts tried fake punt, they were classless. Why?

According to reports, Bob McNair said finishing strong was most important to him, and Wade was in consideration. Logic dictates best Wade going 2-1 over the last 3 and fixing some of the mental errors would make him leading candidate for the job.

Wade brought in live game officials during practice to try and bring down penalties. The team came close to beating its own penalty record it set just one week prior, and got blown out in the first half by a traditionaly slow starting Colts team. Not a good start for Wade.

Oh, I know...

I was trying to make an argument that I don't really buy that the Texans have "given up"...

you are right, not a great start for Wade...

Oh, I know...

I was trying to make an argument that I don't really buy that the Texans have "given up"...

you are right, not a great start for Wade...

The problem is they have. Its blatantly obvious that outside of a few guys the team has checked out mentally. The penalties are the #1 symptom of that. If Wade wants the Texans job going forward, he is going to have to find a way to motivate this team and get them trying again.

Doubt they draft clowney, They will either trade down or take the next QB. plus who says bridgewater was even a sure thing to go first overall in the draft? as much as the press is riding Manziel's Jock, he could end up being number 1 and that is if he goes into the draft. but i think they will trade down and try to get as many draft picks as possible. 

When the Patriots escape the Texans with a 27-24 win, it was about how close the Texans' losses were. When the Colts terminated the Texans, it was about the Texans given up. When the Patriots put 59-0 on 0-6 Titans, they were perfectionists. When the Colts tried fake punt, they were classless. Why?

Because we don't like running up the score?

Because fake punts are once a season rare events?

Because Belichick is a genius and every coach the Colts have ever had have been amateurs?

Because it's the season of goodwill?

Because you are a trolling hater?

Anyway, you decide.......

Because we don't like running up the score?

Because fake punts are once a season rare events?

Because Belichick is a genius and every coach the Colts have ever had have been amateurs?

Because it's the season of goodwill?

Because you are a trolling hater?

Anyway, you decide.......

English is not my native language, but you clearly didn't get my point. It seems like every time the Colts achieve something, a lot of people start to bash that achievement. Win AFC South? This division is a garbage! Never lose to the Texans? They are 2-12 team! Win that Denver game? Irsay was in Peyton's head! Win Seahawks game? You were lucky on blocked FG! Win 49ers game? They were not in their prime! I don't like this kind of stuff.

English is not my native language, but you clearly didn't get my point. It seems like every time the Colts achieve something, a lot of people start to bash that achievement. Win AFC South? This division is a garbage! Never lose to the Texans? They are 2-12 team! Win that Denver game? Irsay was in Peyton's head! Win Seahawks game? You were lucky on blocked FG! Win 49ers game? They were not in their prime! I don't like this kind of stuff.

Welcome to being a fan of a small market team. You only get credit if you are in a major media market, like New England or New York.

That said the AFC South is not an accomplishment this year. Being a 9 win team through 14 games with Indy's out of division SoS is though.

Apologies. I thought you were one of the growing band of doom merchants or Patriot wind up merchants. I get it now! Well said....

Kase Keenum is a gun slinger he reminds me of a mini Rex Grossman all it takes is a good game plan to make him look bad like he did yesterday . He's late on his short to medium depth throws and is very predictable follow his eyes and you know where the ball is going to go . He's terrible under pressure can't handle the rush or close out games . He looked good before there was any tape on him but it didn't take long for teams to figure him out maybe with time to work on his timing and play recognition he could be serviceable as a back up . I would not Houston has gave up as mush as say we had a great game plan .

I've been down on our colts these past couple weeks. I still don't like pep as our OC and that call on 4th n 8 we run a fake punt? I'm not sure if that was just to see if that works or not because we was gonna win the game anyways. But in the end the Texans came with there A game in the first half. They also loss their play caller on offense. I'm glad we won and won by a wife margin could've been more but I think pagano took the foot off the pedal because he knew texans gave up about mid way through the third. A win is a win and I'm proud of the colts for it! I don't like the title of this thread though it makes it seem like we won by a team giving up

The problem is they have. Its blatantly obvious that outside of a few guys the team has checked out mentally. The penalties are the #1 symptom of that. If Wade wants the Texans job going forward, he is going to have to find a way to motivate this team and get them trying again.

Right, I guess when I hear people suggest a team has "given up" for draft picks, I guess I assume it's implying it is a coaching/management on down philosophy...

NFL draft needs Ping Pong balls.

No it doesn't.  An NFL team tanking is unlikely and is more in the imagination of fans of teams who did not get the top draft pick.  

Other than the owner, who benefits from Houston tanking?

Colts have been accused of tanking ... what person who had the ability to purposely cause us to tank benefited from the 2-14 season?

Teams who have no reason to try to win and are hurting their draft position are winning every week ... this is not the NBA there is no need for a draft lottery.

No it doesn't. An NFL team tanking is unlikely and is more in the imagination of fans of teams who did not get the top draft pick.

Other than the owner, who benefits from Houston tanking?

Colts have been accused of tanking ... what person who had the ability to purposely cause us to tank benefited from the 2-14 season?

Teams who have no reason to try to win and are hurting their draft position are winning every week ... this is not the NBA there is no need for a draft lottery.

The lottery is disgusting and the NBA should do away with it. The NBA hasnt even sniffed parity in years, and the NFL is the most competitive and even of all the North American major sports. The draft works.

I could certainly see them drafting Clowney if they hire Lovie Smith as the head coach.  Although I don't feel too high

about the chances of them getting Lovie. They would have to overhaul a very solid defense and change it to a 4-3. Not

that it hasn't happened before but I think they will be looking for the fastest route to change without changing dramatically

as far as the defense is concerned.

I could certainly see them drafting Clowney if they hire Lovie Smith as the head coach.  Although I don't feel too high

about the chances of them getting Lovie. They would have to overhaul a very solid defense and change it to a 4-3. Not

that it hasn't happened before but I think they will be looking for the fastest route to change without changing dramatically

as far as the defense is concerned.

I hope they hire Lovie