Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good article about Da'Rick Rogers from ESPN.

Dustin

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/2596/rogers-had-to-learn-from-past-mistakes

The list of receivers Baggett coached during his 35 years in the NFL and college ranks include Randy MossCris Carter and Plaxico Burress. He puts Rogers near the top in terms of intelligence. 

"He’s the smartest football player I’ve ever coached besides Cris Carter,” Baggett said. “Cris Carter was the smartest as far as studying and knowing game and understanding the game. If Da’Rick learns to study the game, he’ll be the smartest football player on the Colts.” 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he is really that intelligent, then Luck to Rogers could be our modern day version of Peyton to Marvin.  I absolutely hate to make that comparison because Luck and Peyton are very different players, Rogers and Marvin are very different players, the situations are very different, etc.  However, my point is that longevity, high intelligence, and great work ethic made Peyton and Marvin great.  We know Luck has all that.  Let's see if Da'Rick has it too

It's good to know he's smarter than Randy "Moon" Moss and Plaxico "Legshot" Burress.

To be fair, Randy Moss is widely regarded as one of the smartest WRs ever (from a football standpoint). Tom Brady called him the smartest player he's ever been around. 

The buzz around Rogers continued to circulate as the weeks passed, but the Colts slowly brought him along, not wanting to overwhelm him with learning the system. The fire in Rogers burnt even more when future Hall of Famer Reggie Wayne went down for the season with a torn ACL. 

“It ate me up daily,” Rogers said. “But it made me go to practice every day and put in the extra work to get back on the field and show what I can do for this team.” 

Anyone who spent the last three months complaining about why we hadn't activated Rogers yet, this is why. Really, you should read this entire article. He needed to be brought along slowly.

To be fair, Randy Moss is widely regarded as one of the smartest WRs ever (from a football standpoint). Tom Brady called him the smartest player he's ever been around. 

i was going to say the same thing. now, not giving your all consistently is a different story.

Did he say that pre-draft too? Immature enough to not get drafted. Wise enough to get to Indy?? Those hands look GOOD, Big Too! :thmup:

Drew that holding penalty by instantly beating his man using his size, speed, and a swim move to swipe away the defenders attempt to get physical. That was High Grade stuff.

His quick recognition to cut to the middle made that long TD possible.

And his quick jab step at the goal line setting up the TD was perfectly done.

3 low risk short passes and one long one to Brazill for total 4 td`s.

Brazill`s move to get separation was VG on his short catch and long run for a TD. IMO, his cut and Donald Brown style run was why they didn`t bring him down. Go Lavon!

They didn`t show how he got by them for the long TD, but shades of Garcon on this day.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Anyone who spent the last three months complaining about why we hadn't activated Rogers yet, this is why. Really, you should read this entire article. He needed to be brought along slowly.

Rogers was like a caged animal.  We needed to tame him before we let him loose.  Hopefully we did enough...

He does remind me of young Terrell Owens with the physical style he plays with and the ability to catch anything thrown to him over the middle. As good as Rogers is in the intermediate routes he's just as good on the deep routes, would like to see Luck take some shots deep to him early in the game. Teams can't press him he's too big, strong, and fast. That's why the Titans and Bengals cb's played off coverage leaving so much space underneath. If he can stay on the right path and live up to his full potential he has the ability to be a 90 rec 1,200 yards 10 TD a year #1 type WR.

Guest TeamLoloJones

He does remind me of young Terrell Owens with the physical style he plays with and the ability to catch anything thrown to him over the middle. As good as Rogers is in the intermediate routes he's just as good on the deep routes, would like to see Luck take some shots deep to him early in the game. Teams can't press him he's too big, strong, and fast. That's why the Titans and Bengals cb's played off coverage leaving so much space underneath. If he can stay on the right path and live up to his full potential he has the ability to be a 90 rec 1,200 yards 10 TD a year #1 type WR.

Pretty soon teams will have to double Rogers.  They won't have a choice not to.  He's just too darn physically talented.  Hilton will be the one that really benefits from that.  And if some team decides to bracket both Rogers and Hilton, well guess what...Fleener will eat up the middle like its going out of style.

I'm just glad to get rid of the "Too dumb to learn the playbook" nonsense people kept saying about him around here. 

It's just mularkey!

Just speaking for myself, I never said he was too dumb to learn the playbook. I said the story in Buffalo is that he didn't learn the playbook, and maybe that was a load of nonsense. Maybe it was true, and it's a reflection of him not taking his job seriously. I don't know. 

But for anyone, coming to a team in September and being ready to play in a couple months is a tough task. Teams hand out playbooks in May, then you have 12 days of OTAs, three weeks of training camp (which is about 40 practices and a ton of film work), and four preseason games to work on stuff. Asking someone to be up to speed in such a short period of time, especially a rookie, is unreasonable.

This also goes for Trent Richardson, by the way. His issues are many and varied, but getting comfortable with the offense is definitely one of them. 

Would this have been a Grigson move acquiring Da'Rick?

On another note what if he does for some reason just blow up these last few games and in the playoffs, what is his contract situation like? I'm just wondering if he could easily walk because a team offers him more $$$. I personally think he has heaps of potential and would hate to see him go anywhere after a mere few games for the Colts.

On another note what if he does for some reason just blow up these last few games and in the playoffs, what is his contract situation like? I'm just wondering if he could easily walk because a team offers him more $$$. I personally think he has heaps of potential and would hate to see him go anywhere after a mere few games for the Colts.

Maybe we could offer him the 3 mil DHB is getting or use franchise tag for a year.

I remember someone said we have him under contract for 3 years

Nope. He's on a contract for 3 more years.