Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Triplette Explanation (Prepare Yourselves) (merge)

Ja'Crispy

Yes. It was a bad call, but i wouldn't say it cost use the game. It would have made the game close, but I would say it was more on us than the Refs. All in all yes i agree its a very bad call. The Refs should get fined and add the money to our salary cap.

Reasons why we lost:

1. Slow starts on offense (No surprise there)

2. Bad play calling on both offense and defense

3. Gave up 42 pts.

4. Should i say any more?

It doesnt matter if it cost us the game or not. The point is these guys cant do the job their paid to do and for that, they should be fired.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. It was a bad call, but i wouldn't say it cost use the game.  It would have made the game close, but I would say it was more on us than the Refs.  All in all yes i agree its a very bad call.  The Refs should get fined and add the money to our salary cap.

Reasons why we lost:

3. Gave up 42 pts.

It doesn't matter if it "cost us the game". Being down by 14 and being down by 7....very different scenarios. That was a phantom 7 points on the board, yet the reality was that this was the score on the board. Multiple score deficits have a different ebb 'n' flow than a single score deficit. 

Yes. It was a bad call, but i wouldn't say it cost use the game.  It would have made the game close, but I would say it was more on us than the Refs.  All in all yes i agree its a very bad call.  The Refs should get fined and add the money to our salary cap.

Reasons why we lost:

3. Gave up 42 pts.

No question it didn't cost us the game but just because it didn't cost us the game doesn't make it okay.  This is the second week in a row that this official has messed up in a major way.  Add to that his other major mistakes (the blown coin flip on Thanksgiving and the flag in a player's eye) and I think the league has to do something here.  I thought I read he was on probation or something like that after the Redskins/Giants game anyways but I don't now.  He needs to be at the very least demoted (which the league does do) or fired not some token he wont get the work the Super Bowl punishment that the league hands out with officials from time-to-time because there was no danger of that happening to start with.   

Why is he ONLY looking at the goaline when there was no TD called? 

This excuse is actually worse than the call.

He's got to be removed by the NFL this week.

He did not review the play according to basic NFL rules of being 'down by contact'.

And he was too much of a weenie to admit he was wrong

Mistakes happen were all human ... but when they start overturning calls with ZERO CONCLUSIVE evidence they should not be fined they should be out of work for good - that is not a mistake it is crooked!

The replay was supposed to reduce some of the human mistakes.  There is no excuse for overturning that call. 

Reasons why we lost:

3. Gave up 42 pts.

Unfortunately, we will never know what damage that bad call caused.  We clearly had momentum after a big goal line stand and we would have only been down by 7 at the half even after how poorly we played.  It could have propelled us into the second half. 

I question why he was buzzed for review in the first place, it was clear that he was down.  There was no need for the replay official to even buzz him to take a look at it.  I think replay is over used in that regard.  I understand not wanting to miss something due to a major call but it's not supposed to be used to look at plays where it's clear the call on the field was right. 

The ref(Triplette) had a chance to look at it over and over again on his replay cam.  He's just a dumb * that needs to be fired.

The Colts on the other hand still need a pass rusher and offensive Guro.  Again, please fire Manusky and Pep Hamilton, they're worthless and predictable in their play calling.  Sad, the owner and GM doesn't this weekend and week out....

I question why he was buzzed for review in the first place, it was clear that he was down.  There was no need for the replay official to even buzz him to take a look at it.  I think replay is over used in that regard.  I understand not wanting to miss something due to a major call but it's not supposed to be used to look at plays where it's clear the call on the field was right. 

It was automatically reviewed because it was a change of possessions.

Why wasn't Pagano going nuts over it? anyone post his post game comments on it?.

Wouldn't hurt to see a little more fire out of the coaching staff when they are getting jobbed.

What was he going to do there? If he go nuts it's not going to make the official change their mind and could draw an un-sportmanlike conduct flag.  Also, coaches don't react like fans do, they move on to the next thing and try to keep the team focused on that plus if you want the team to keep it's cool (something they are struggling with lately) the coach has to do it first. 

It was automatically reviewed because it was a change of possessions.

Just because it's reviewed doesn't mean the official has to be buzzed to take a look at it, it just means the guy in the booth looks at it and decides if the official on the field needs to or not.  He didn't need to here.  It was clear he was down by contact. 

I'm curious to know why it took so dang long if he only looked at the goal line. Also, I would like to know why the line judge didn't state that he made the original call of down by contact (or if he did, why Tripplet didn't look at that). To me, his response is pure arrogance, knowing he screwed the pooch, and not wanting to further incriminate himself. I have a hard time believing he only looked at the goal line.......he would have been in and out in a snap if that was the case.

They could suspend him for the playoffs which would hit his pocket book......or demote him completely. He probably goes on to become the head of officiating.........pffftt fart noise

I'm curious to know why it took so dang long if he only looked at the goal line. Also, I would like to know why the line judge didn't state that he made the original call of down by contact (or if he did, why Tripplet didn't look at that). To me, his response is pure arrogance, knowing he screwed the pooch, and not wanting to further incriminate himself. I have a hard time believing he only looked at the goal line.......he would have been in and out in a snap if that was the case.

They could suspend him for the playoffs which would hit his pocket book......or demote him completely. He probably goes on to become the head of officiating.........pffftt fart noise

I am guessing we'll get the normal NFL punishment for a Ref who messes up like this "He wont be allowed to work the Super Bowl" like there was a chance that was going to happen to start with...

I knew, when they took that long to make what I believed an obvious call, Triplette was looking for a way to give the Bengals the score.  A shame to have such a nice defensive stand obliterated and momentum affected like that.  There is only one explanation possible  --  $$$.  No one can blow a call like that without the intention to do so.

I knew, when they took that long to make what I believed an obvious call, Triplette was looking for a way to give the Bengals the score.  A shame to have such a nice defensive stand obliterated and momentum affected like that.  There is only one explanation possible  --  $$$.  No one can blow a call like that without the intention to do so.

Sadly he's made a career out of blowing easy calls.  Heck just last week he blew the end of the Giants/Redskins game.  He messed up a coin flip and threw a flag in a players eye before.  He's just a horrible official who needs to be at worst demoted but realistically fired. 

Here is a good write up on his mess ups (yes I know it's wikipedia but in this case it's fairly accurate and it's too many to list I had forgotten about the Manning fake spike)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Triplette

Most people who have been around for a while know that I am not one to blame the refs for a loss but I do think the refs cost the Colts this game.

Not only on this call.  But on Green's TD catch in the 2nd half, Butler was with him, Green pushes off to create separation.  Then on 2 and 8, Dalton drops straight back is under pressure from Bethea and throws the ball away, Tripphead says he was out of the pocket, the Colts held on the next play but who know what the extra time and yards may have meant.  On Dalton's TD run, Franklin blew through there and was in position to make a play or at worst redirect Dalton, the TE (at least I think it was the TE) comes over and tackles Franklin and Dalton walks into the endzone.  Not to mention that I counted 5 times where the OT had his arm wrapped around Mathis' head and pulling back on his neck.

There is a reason he, Tripp, had been considered the worst referee for years.

PLAYOFFS???????!!!!!!!! PLAYOFFS???????!!!!!!!!

You kidding me? PLAYOFFS???????!!!!!!!!

Most people who have been around for a while know that I am not one to blame the refs for a loss but I do think the refs cost the Colts this game.

Not only on this call. But on Green's TD catch in the 2nd half, Butler was with him, Green pushes off to create separation. Then on 2 and 8, Dalton drops straight back is under pressure from Bethea and throws the ball away, Tripphead says he was out of the pocket, the Colts held on the next play but who know what the extra time and yards may have meant. On Dalton's TD run, Franklin blew through there and was in position to make a play or at worst redirect Dalton, the TE (at least I think it was the TE) comes over and tackles Franklin and Dalton walks into the endzone. Not to mention that I counted 5 times where the OT had his arm wrapped around Mathis' head and pulling back on his neck.

To your comment on Green's second TD, you're totally right. He stiff armed Butler out of the play and they even stopped it at that moment during the replay and all I could do was shake my head. The Colts killed themselves on a couple 3rd down opportunities, but there were a few others that were completely aided by unnecessary calls, especially the late call on PI when, I believe Butler, had great position on Green and Green throws up his hands looking for a call and they give it to him a good 5-7 seconds after the play is over.

Not only on this call.  But on Green's TD catch in the 2nd half, Butler was with him, Green pushes off to create separation.  Then on 2 and 8, Dalton drops straight back is under pressure from Bethea and throws the ball away, Tripphead says he was out of the pocket, the Colts held on the next play but who know what the extra time and yards may have meant.  On Dalton's TD run, Franklin blew through there and was in position to make a play or at worst redirect Dalton, the TE (at least I think it was the TE) comes over and tackles Franklin and Dalton walks into the endzone.  Not to mention that I counted 5 times where the OT had his arm wrapped around Mathis' head and pulling back on his neck.

Early in the game there was a clear helmet to helmet hit from one of their linebackers on one of our WRs.  It was so loud you could hear it on the TV.  Very disappointing to say the least.

We got out played so I can live with it but like I've been saying just because the officials are not the reason we lost does not make their sub par effort today and frankly all season okay.