Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Triplette Explanation (Prepare Yourselves) (merge)

Ja'Crispy

Considering Trip's history of making terrible calls with no punishments, he's not a ref but a professional manipulator, IMO. It could point to something bigger going on behind the scenes.

It was a bad call - clearly. But I think suggesting there is something more sinister at play here is simply not accurate.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a horrible call, but this pic is not accurate with respect to Chapman tripping up the back. Chapman grabbed Green-Ellis left foot which is the foot (toe) on the ground where he short stepped his toe and fell. This picture is after Chapman's tackle (foot grab)… just the timing of the pic looks like he is touching the right foot, but it already happened and the fall is beginning.

There is orange on top of his shoes. The orange disappears, then BJ-GE loses balance.

Bengals-Triplette-controversyTD.gif

Maybe even grazed both feet? Either way, there was enough touching the foot (feet) to knock BJ-GE off balance and he is down.

I heard Kravitz say that too.  Pereia(sp?) the former head of officials also said that the call should not have been reversed. 

He also said they made a ball call on the no call on the lack of Intentional Grounding and frankly he always tries to defend the Refs.  Fans have to send a very loud message to the league they aren't going to put up with the sub par refs any longer to get something done but odds are we as a group will not and nothing will come of it.

That still doesn't matter.  You don't escape the correct ruling simply because the number on the jersey.  All reviewable aspects of the play are reviewed, even parts of the play outside of the original issue up for review.  For instance, if Cincinnati had 12 men on the field that was originally missed, then they would have reviewed it and said something to the effect that "while the ball carrier (a) was down by contact (b) was not touched and broke the plane for a touchdown, there were 12 men on the field.  Thus, Cincinnati will be assessed a 10 yard penalty from the previous spot of the ball.  Replay 4th down."

So even if it the referee called him down by contact, the play should have been upheld.  The only difference would have been that the official stats would have credited chapman with the tackle instead of whomever the referee originally believed it to be.

Does the NFL give the referees that latitude? I am actually ignorant on the full policy when it comes to reviews. If the NFL does give the refs that latitude then my logical thought goes right out the window and Triplette is just a bumbling *.

Does the NFL give the referees that latitude? I am actually ignorant on the full policy when it comes to reviews. If the NFL does give the refs that latitude then my logical thought goes right out the window and Triplette is just a bumbling *.

Well, I sort of misquoted the rule, it says that the ref MAY review all reviewable aspects.  My line of thought for this was, he was ruled down by contact.  Tripplette said they only reviewed the goalline shot.  If that's true, they saw him fall to the ground, but there's no way they could have conclusively seen that he was touched or not touched - there was just too many bodies obstructing the view.  At that point, where's the justification for overturning it?  You can't just review the last part of the play and say, "well, we can't tell how he went to the ground, but since it's not conclusive that no one touched him, we're overturning it.  That's not the standard for rewview.  It's whether there's "indisputable visual evidence to over turn", so the next question should have been, well, was he toucehd at all? 

Then they should have reviewed the whole play from other angles.  If they had, they would have seen that one aerial view where Chapman clearly touched him.  Greg Aiello stated that the referee could have reviewed the whole play (I'd get the quote, but that's almost verbatim what he said).  That tells me that, well, Tripplette was right given what he said, but he obviously didn't review the entire play.  To me, that's unacceptable.  It'd be no different than if a guy was running up the sideline, stepped out of bounds but it wasn't called and then got tackled as he crossed the endzone.  If the ref only reviewed whether he crossed the plane and not whether he stepped out of bounds, that is just an atrocious error.

There is orange on top of his shoes. The orange disappears, then BJ-GE loses balance.

Bengals-Triplette-controversyTD.gif

Maybe even grazed both feet? Either way, there was enough touching the foot (feet) to knock BJ-GE off balance and he is down.

I don't see it in the video nor did I see in any replays that shows Chapamn definitively got his foot. But that is not even the issue because of how it was ruled on the field. There was not even remotely close enough info to overturn.

Said this in another thread - I am most curious about why he only looked at the goal line. Why no look at the backfield? What that Triplette not doing his full job or was he not presented that view in the first place. Either Triplette is clueless or the mechanics of the process failed - either way it was a terrible overturn.

There was another call on a fumble that could have cost the Vikings a win against the Ravens also. The way the NFL is now, where there is not all that much difference in talent between 90 percent of the teams , these calls are way bigger than they used to be back before the cap when you could pretty much pencil in most the playoff teams before the season started. It has gotten to the point where these calls are having an effect on the playoff races and seeding, etc.. Some are questioning the legitimacy of the league . There is complete and utter inconsistency with these PI calls that have already decided the winner of several games this season. The NFL needs to act and act now to clean this up. The replay should be in house like the NHL does to a centralized location , this should be done immediately. The PI calls need to be clarified or modified to the point where it is obvious what it is. Right now , by the definition of the rule, it could probably be called on most plays. The leagues zeal to make the league like an arena game with scoring all around has had consequences.

There have been several cases of such idiocy by officials this year. The NFL has a MASSIVE problem. There's only two possible explanations for calls like this one.

1) The ref doesn't have a clue how to do his job. We're talking utterly lost here.

2) The ref has an agenda.

Either way, these guys need to start being fired.

Seriously, how bad things have gotten cannot be overstated. And it's far from being just in Colts games. The officiating this year has been noticeably horrendous (which is saying a lot considering how bad it has been in the past). We're talking nearing the late 90s / early 00s NBA bad level, when the games were in fact rigged and everyone knew it.

Triplett needs to lose his job.

Short of gambling & intentionally sabotaging the integrity of the game through calling excessive penalties thereby altering the point spread, I don't see that happening in this case. It does make me wonder what constitutes a fire worthy event though. What is the rule/protocol on that? 

Short of gambling & intentionally sabotaging the integrity of the game through calling excessive penalties thereby altering the point spread, I don't see that happening in this case. It does make me wonder what constitutes a fire worthy event though. What is the rule/protocol on that? 

When you consider the list of Triplette's errors, I am surprised he hasn't been tossed.  He is the one who hit the Steelers player in the eye with the flag, and the one who screwed up the down markers earlier this year during the Redskins game.  There are literally too many things he's screwed up to list here.  He has a long history of subpar officiating.