Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Receivers

Manning1887

The loss of Reggie Wayne is clearly going to kill this team. Other than TY Hilton, there is no one else who can make a play on this team. Heyward-Bey is TERRIBLE! I applaud his work ethic, but he cannot catch the ball. He is a waste of  the perfect blend of size and speed. Brazil and Whalen are just not that good. I know we want them to be, but they cannot get open and struggle to catch the ball.

Coby Fleener may be the disappointing of them all. This is the perfect opportunity for him to show he is a legitimate talent at TE. He can't block to save his soul, can't get open, and again, struggles to catch the ball.

I feel like Reggie Wayne should get some MVP votes. I did not realize how important he was to this team.

I feared when Reggie went down that it might be a season crippling injury.  Thus far I've seen NOTHING out of the WRs other than a quarter and half from Hilton to tell me I am wrong.  Luck's QB rating without Reggie this season is only 28.  He's clearly missing him and no one is really doing anything to help him be comfortable with another WR other than TY. 

I know people aren't high on the play calling but I don't think that's the real issue I think the real issue is someone else on offense has to step up and make a play.

Like I heard this week the Colts offense is broken and they are out of spare parts.  Besides Reggie, they have lost two starting running backs, their starting guard, and starting tightend all in the first half of the season for the season and you can only take so many injuries like that before you can't over come it.

This receiving corp is HORRIFIC!  Reggie Wayne covered up so much it is unbelievable how glaringly bad they are right now without him.  TY Hilton is the only guy left worth a crap.  You just double and triple him and wait for the other guys to drop passes.

DHB should be benched.  The problem is he's the best option.

Brazil has no clue because he cares more about smoking pot.

And Whalen is a try-hard guy who will never amount to much in the NFL.  He's got butter fingers too.

It's so bad * Wesley Saunders was playing the 4th WR position during that 2 minute drive at the end of the half!

So depressing...they'll be lucky to hang on and back into a division title.

This receiving corp is HORRIFIC!  Reggie Wayne covered up so much it is unbelievable how glaringly bad they are right now without him.  TY Hilton is the only guy left worth a crap.  You just double and triple him and wait for the other guys to drop passes.

And Whalen is a try-hard guy who will never amount to much in the NFL.  He's got butter fingers too.

It's so bad * Wesley Saunders was playing the 4th WR position during that 2 minute drive at the end of the half!

Ding Ding, we don't have another option at this point.  Honestly our second best receiver tonight has been Richardson.

Well I can't give him credit for things he hasn't done so... idk what to tell you. He;s not getting any help and it has made him look bad like i said in my post.

That aint what you said. You said reggie made this team. And the rest of the team is terrible without him. So dont try to sugar coat now that the tide is turning on the titans.

That aint what you said. You said reggie made this team. And the rest of the team is terrible without him. So dont try to sugar coat now that the tide is turning on the titans.

I said the offense is terrible without him. I didn't say the whole team, nor did I say anywhere that we'd keep playing like that. Its up to them to adjust and they did. 

The loss of Reggie Wayne is clearly going to kill this team. Other than TY Hilton, there is no one else who can make a play on this team. Heyward-Bey is TERRIBLE! I applaud his work ethic, but he cannot catch the ball. He is a waste of  the perfect blend of size and speed. Brazil and Whalen are just not that good. I know we want them to be, but they cannot get open and struggle to catch the ball.

Coby Fleener may be the disappointing of them all. This is the perfect opportunity for him to show he is a legitimate talent at TE. He can't block to save his soul, can't get open, and again, struggles to catch the ball.

I feel like Reggie Wayne should get some MVP votes. I did not realize how important he was to this team.

Coby was great tonight

I would have highly disagreed with the bold portion even before the game started.  His problem has been lack of opportunity more than anything.  They have to keep him in to block a lot of the time, and some of his routes are delayed so he blocks first and then goes out as an outlet receiver, which means he doesn't get the chance to get very far downfield so he hasn't gotten a lot of big play opportunities.  Then you have to remember that when he does go out on a long pass, Luck rarely gets long enough in the pocket to be able to take advantage.  

and he hasn't "struggled" to catch the ball since the preseason.  He's had one drop since then.  Even Mayock referred to him as emerging as one of the best pass-catching TE's in the game and said he has "magnificent hands".  I tend to not use the "well this so-and-so said so..it must be true.." but Mayock is someone I've always had a ton of respect for in his analysis of players and I know many on the forum feel the same way.

People tend to overreact quite a bit don't they?

If you look at the last 3 games, I don't think it's an overreaction to say the O has struggled more than not. However, the WRs and TEs are young and inexperienced, so we shouldn't be surprised by their inconsistency.

I'm not sure the Colts have enough talent at WR to tear it up down the stretch, but they have an easier road than the first half of the year. If they can focus on getting better every week, the team might be OK come playoffs.

If you look at the last 3 games, I don't think it's an overreaction to say the O has struggled more than not. However, the WRs and TEs are young and inexperienced, so we shouldn't be surprised by their inconsistency.

I'm not sure the Colts have enough talent at WR to tear it up down the stretch, but they have an easier road than the first half of the year. If they can focus on getting better every week, the team might be OK come playoffs.

I think you are forgetting about the biggest issue and that was our inability to run the ball. And at this point, I'm beginning to believe its TRich more than the oline at this point. And trust me, I was one of the biggest believers in Trent and preached having patience with him but I think it's safe to say he is what he is and it's time to start DB.

Our ability to run the ball will greatly influence our ability to go down the field with the pass.

I am trying to lighten up on Whalen as I do think he can catch, but that kid is just really really slow.  

It almost seems impossible that he can get away from anybody. When you run a pick/rub route and

you head for the side line and the DB is clearly running in front of you step for step down the sideline

it just screams that you have absolutely no speed whatsoever. I'm just not sure what they will do to 

get decent production out of Griff.

Luck will never have the HOF kind of stats in this offense and thats fine. Pep wants to run the ball a lot and that alone will limit some rec possibilities. BUT, I think Pep, over time, will go more towards Luck's strengths and weaken the stance on the big run game. Now, I think they'll still pound for a while, just over time, you have to play to your str. My opinion.

I think you are forgetting about the biggest issue and that was our inability to run the ball. And at this point, I'm beginning to believe its TRich more than the oline at this point. And trust me, I was one of the biggest believers in Trent and preached having patience with him but I think it's safe to say he is what he is and it's time to start DB.

Our ability to run the ball will greatly influence our ability to go down the field with the pass.

I guess I'd say TRich was a concern before Reggie went on IR, so the thing that has changed is that there is no longer any experience at WR.

I am trying to lighten up on Whalen as I do think he can catch, but that kid is just really really slow.

It almost seems impossible that he can get away from anybody. When you run a pick/rub route and

you head for the side line and the DB is clearly running in front of you step for step down the sideline

it just screams that you have absolutely no speed whatsoever. I'm just not sure what they will do to

get decent production out of Griff.

I've been trying to say the same for a while now. He's hardly any kind of savior as portrayed by some people on this forum... but I will say he's been more productive than I thought he'd be, so kudos to him for that.

I would have highly disagreed with the bold portion even before the game started.  His problem has been lack of opportunity more than anything.  They have to keep him in to block a lot of the time, and some of his routes are delayed so he blocks first and then goes out as an outlet receiver, which means he doesn't get the chance to get very far downfield so he hasn't gotten a lot of big play opportunities.  Then you have to remember that when he does go out on a long pass, Luck rarely gets long enough in the pocket to be able to take advantage.  

and he hasn't "struggled" to catch the ball since the preseason.  He's had one drop since then.  Even Mayock referred to him as emerging as one of the best pass-catching TE's in the game and said he has "magnificent hands".  I tend to not use the "well this so-and-so said so..it must be true.." but Mayock is someone I've always had a ton of respect for in his analysis of players and I know many on the forum feel the same way.

First off, it was great to see Fleener so involved in the offense last night, and I hope the team utilizes him more and he can build off of this game.

That being said, he has been a disappointment thus far. He absolutely has had an issue with drops. There has been more than one drop. Some of the issue is exactly what you said, he has to stay in and block more. Some of it, however, is the same problem we have with these young receivers, an inability to get open. That is largely a product of poor route running.

Tonight, I think Pep utilized Fleener in the best way, crossing routes on play action. That is great when the D is playing man coverage. As our D found out, crossing routes are tough to defend when the offense can get some protection.

Hopefully, Fleener will continue to be utilized more and his confidence will grow. I am not giving up on him by any means. We need him to step up if we have any hope of doing anything in the playoffs.