Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offical Trent Richardson discussion/thoughts/opinions thread.

Dustin

Trich's problem seems to be simple vision.  That will probably take sometime to learn maybe being behind Brown and being used as a third down back will give him a chance to learn that. 

i have said this from the start, rb's ether have it or they don't. they don't learn it in the nfl. some backs just happen to go to a team with a very good line that makes it look like they have learned to find the hole.

We are going to feel this in the draft I think.  We really need another WR and you normally find those kinds of guys like we need in the first round.  If not a WR we could use another o-lineman for sure but then again you can sometimes find those guys in rounds past the first round. 

sure are!!

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We might have took him at 3 when he was by everyone's measure a top 10 pick but you took him at (let's say) 20-25 when you had a year of NFL tape on him and the team that drafted him was more than happy to get rid of him. 

Who's the *?

that is what bothers me the most, having a years nfl tape and making the trade.

We are going to feel this in the draft I think.  We really need another WR and you normally find those kinds of guys like we need in the first round.  If not a WR we could use another o-lineman for sure but then again you can sometimes find those guys in rounds past the first round. 

Grigson doesn't like picking up lineman in the draft he says they take to long to develop. You'll see more pick-ups in free agency this offseason.  I guess Thornton was the exception but he wasn't suppose to start this season though. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

We have a lot of cash to use in free agency again this year.  None of our guys that we should resign are playing well enough to command huge money.  I bet the fact we will have a lot of $ to use in FA made Grigson a little more comfortable with giving up a 1st round pick for TRich.

So to all of you that keep blaming the line on why trich cant run the ball.  Brown had 0 problems even when it was obvious running situations.  So what do you say now?  Waist of our 1st rd pick

right on the money, but you know the excuses will keep coming.

So what was Lynches excuse then? Cause it took him awhile also. Sorry everyone can't come in right away and live up to your expectations.

No it didn't, His first year in 2007 after being drafted for the Bills with the 12th pick in the draft he ran for 1115 yards........And thats with missing 3 games because he injured an ankle

We have a lot of cash to use in free agency again this year.  None of our guys that we should resign are playing well enough to command huge money.  I bet the fact we will have a lot of $ to use in FA made Grigson a little more comfortable with giving up a 1st round pick for TRich.

Some will probably get more than you expect.  Number one corners are very rarely cheap.  So either the Colts are going to have to pay Davis or let him walk.  While he might not get Revis money he's not going to be cheap either.  If they let him walk they will have to replace him some how.  He's probably the biggest guy we have to replace but if we are going to go after another proven WR that's probably going to eat up another chunk of money.  We are going to have money yes but it's not going to be like last year because unlike last year we are going to have some of our own guys to commit too. 

Oh my gosh!!!!!! ????? Let me say this very clearly.  TRich is a beast (like Brown), just a different type of guy.  TRich did not like sitting on the bench vs. the Titans, but it just wasn't his game.  He doesn't know the offense yet, he is clearly reading his blocks and gaps wrong and not making adjustments.  Give him a couple years and he will be the beast we need.  He needs long nights with the playbook as opposed to extra-circulars and stuff like that and things like that.  He is going to be an awesome piece to the puzzle.  I believe his is one head of the three headed monster.  (Luck, TRich, & Hilton).  Together we shall win many championships (I'm counting on about 3 to 4 Super Bowls) and TRich will be at the front and center in all the media guides and all the posters and statues this city will erect after the 3rd championship.  

Here are the years we will win championships.   2015, 2016, 2018 (all due in part to the 3 headed beast slayers that are TRich, Luck, & Hilton).

That's a lot of rings.  4 for Irsay alone.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Some will probably get more than you expect.  Number one corners are very rarely cheap.  So either the Colts are going to have to pay Davis or let him walk.  While he might not get Revis money he's not going to be cheap either.  If they let him walk they will have to replace him some how.  He's probably the biggest guy we have to replace but if we are going to go after another proven WR that's probably going to eat up another chunk of money.  We are going to have money yes but it's not going to be like last year because unlike last year we are going to have some of our own guys to commit too. 

Yep, but we also don't have as many holes to fill.  I want Grigson to spend every cent he can on the o-line in FA, and then draft everything else we need.  (WR, ILB, CB, DE)

Some truth in those statements

“I don’t know if he’s snake bit, I don’t know what the heck is going on,”

As far as the offensive side of the ball thats very true, I would not expect him to he is a defensive guy who hangs around with the defensive players primarily

“We’ll get it fixed"...I believe it

"We’ll get the holes there."

The share of holes have been there for him he misses several, Ladanian Tomlinson pointed that out well with footage

"He’s making the right reads"

Sometimes but its rare

Asked if the Colts have any buyer’s remorse for the Richardson trade, Pagano answered, “Absolutely not.”

I believe him.

Have you seen TRich when he is actually in the open field?  Dude has wheels.

Burst is not having wheels to me, Burst is being slow to the hole that is supposed to be openeining and bursting through a hole whether it be the orginal hole or another hole thats supposed to be open, Go back and watch Chris Johnsons 2nd run if you can and listen how Mike Mayock describes and really watch how he explodes when he gets in the hole

Guest TeamLoloJones

Burst is not having wheels to me, Burst is being slow to the hole that is supposed to be openeining and bursting through a hole whether it be the orginal hole or another hole thats supposed to be open, Go back and watch Chris Johnsons 2nd run if you can and listen how Mike Mayock describes and really watch how he explodes when he gets in the hole

I don't think TRich's struggles have anything to do with his physical ability.  I think it's all in the mental aspect of the game.

I don't think TRich's struggles have anything to do with his physical ability.  I think it's all in the mental aspect of the game.

Him not showing any burst could be mental is what Im saying, I think he has it...Not elite in that area by any means...But I think he has some burst

Guest TeamLoloJones

Him not showing any burst could be mental is what Im saying, I think he has it...Not elite in that area by any means...But I think he has some burst

Yeah...I may be the last one left, and I will get plenty of flack for this, but I fully believe TRich will be a top tier RB and worth every bit of a first round pick.  Call me delusional, call me a homer.  But I'm sticking with my original assessment of Richardson.  I still love the trade.

I'm not a Trent Richardson apologist, and I've been very hard on Donald Brown for his career with the Colts, however I believe the issues with the interior of the offensive line are becoming too much for Richardson to deal with. Obviously, it's going to be hard to gain any yards when you are supposed to run behind the guard, and Satele/McGlynn are both sitting on the ground after the ball is snapped. 

I think the issue is not his vision, not his skill set and definitely not his work ethic but simply his size getting in the way. Why is Donald Brown gaining so many yards? He's small. Even with two-three bum linemen, he can initially get lost behind the line and squeak through the smaller spaces that TRich has no ability to get through. In the second half, when the Offensive line started playing better, TRich was getting 4,5,6, and 7 yard carries however his average had already been wrecked by the three or four -1 yard carries he had in the first half. 

The interior of the line issues are also affecting Luck's ability to scramble, on one of the Colts drives into the redzone, we faced a 3rd and 5. Luck didn't have any options downfield, so he began to scramble behind Hugh Thornton who then inexplicably peeled off from blocking a linebacker and turned 180 to hit the guy that Castonzo had locked up behind Andrew Luck. Luck was tackled for no gain.

Treat TRich like Marshawn Lynch, give him some time to get acclimated. There were experts (which you are not) that believed Lynch's career was headed for mediocrity before he made that playoff run against the Saints. Next year, I can guarantee you there will be improvement in the issues with the Indianapolis Colts, but it takes 3 years from drafting to accurately gauge a player's worth.

Post of the freakin month.

Yeah...I may be the last one left, and I will get plenty of flack for this, but I fully believe TRich will be a top tier RB and worth every bit of a first round pick.  Call me delusional, call me a homer.  But I'm sticking with my original assessment of Richardson.  I still love the trade.

He has the skill set Ill give ya that, time will tell, Im rooting for him, I know it sounds like Im not but I also call it like I see it, Even if he dont work out at least it only cost us 1 1st round pick and didn't set us back with multiple picks

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, November 16, 2013 - quote box - no comment
Hidden by Coltssouth, November 16, 2013 - quote box - no comment

Grigson doesn't like picking up lineman in the draft he says they take to long to develop. You'll see more pick-ups in free agency this offseason.  I guess Thornton was the exception but he wasn't suppose to start this season though.

Imo his main problem is trust in the o line which is mental. The second he gets the ball he dances both with his legs and head whether the hole is there or not. Brown just runs where the hole is supposed to be whether its there or not which is why his Carries vary from next to nothing to holy crap depending on whether or not the hole is opened up haha.

He didn't actually say that. He only said cornerbacks tend to be able to play right away more so than offensive linemen.

He didn't actually say that. He only said cornerbacks tend to be able to play right away more so than offensive linemen.

^^^This ...  I think Grigson's answer to that question has to be one of the most misquoted/misinterpreted statements on the forum.

I never think you can call a bust before even one season is up. He is doing bad but he is doing well in other areas. Pass blocking for one. Hes putting sone smack on LB's that are coming through and DE's. I usually try to give them 2 bad seasons before i start to make my opinion od them.

This isn't trolling, I am literally laughing at what's being said right now: ranging from Grigs has made bad moves all year to wanting to put Herron in just to prove a point about Tr...

I'm sure one day you'll learn not to post insulting things about other posters. Out of my 18 years of existence all of them have been with blue and white blood coursing through my veins and a horseshoe imprinted upon my brain.

Apologize. I completely misread your post then.

I think the RB coach is preparing Trent just fine. I believe Edge is giving him mostly encouragement. Probably telling him how to prepare mentally, being a friend which it sounds like he needs one. Maybe Trent is a bit different like Ricky Willams. Ricky would have been great if he had understanding mentors. Ditka was the wrong fit for him.

Everyone keeps asking what games ive been watching with my remarks to Trent avoiding contact. Like I said he hasnt punished one defender in a Colts uni yet. Getting tackled by three defenders for 1 yard isnt embracing contact. The dude is making bad cuts trying to be elusive. And yes i know all about PFF saying hes one of the most elusive backs. Problem is, where is that getting him & us? He needs to cut upfield quicker on wide runs and hit the hole with a lot more authority on tight formations. These are the things Brown is doing that Trent is not & its clearly noticeable. That needs to be his game. And on top of that Trent has the body to be the top yards after contact RB in the league. Hes probably closer to the bottom than the top. Hes clearly avoiding contact & i think hes worried about getting injured like he did in CLE. Hes thinking too much, go be the T-Train.

Guys, what are we arguing about anymore? Trent's a bust.  It's been decided by the Colts fanbase.  Let it go...He sucks.  Colts fanbase knows it, which is why the coaching staff knows it...what's there to argue anymore?  you're all stupid if you think Trent isn't a bust.  Just stop it.

you pull the trigger to soon obviously because for one only been here for 8 weeks.....the rookies had more time to learn the playbook with just training camp, ota's and preseason...which is when your suppose to learn your playbook, not in the middle of the season like trent is.....

2. started trent to early in colts offense which sapped his confidence

3. doesnt trust his O-Line by the looks of it or doesnt trust himself, im sure by next preseason he will overcome it

4. like to cut early, and misses his hole, or just runs in the defenders and tries to break tackles, which i believe is good but hitting the hole is better obviously.

You haters are a joke. Apparently now you are supposed to get all starting rb's with a 5th round pick. Or if you draft one in the first he is supposed to come in and be the best back in the league regardless of the oline. Able to to juke, outrun and stiff arm an entire defense in a single bound.

You haters are a joke. Apparently now you are supposed to get all starting rb's with a 5th round pick. Or if you draft one in the first he is supposed to come in and be the best back in the league regardless of the oline. Able to to juke, outrun and stiff arm an entire defense in a single bound.

It gets tiring defending the guy on valid grounds.  I've never made the proposition that he would be a great RB here or anything, other than, he needs time and there are plenty of other reasons beyond himself as to why he's not doing well.  But there is not much you can do to support the wait and see argument in the face of how bad he has been right now.  But I guarantee you, if they are wrong, I'll make sure that anytime we talk about future draft picks and player evaluations, I'll make it known that the nay sayers opinion isn't worth a damn thing.

Maybe not wait all the way to the 5th, but I think 2nd-4th is the prime area to find a RB.

Heck Yes, if you use a 1st round pick on a RB he better darn well come out the gate with the skills you listed and look decent regardless if the OL is sub par. Anything less than that are RBs you can get in later rounds.

It gets tiring defending the guy on valid grounds.  I've never made the proposition that he would be a great RB here or anything, other than, he needs time and there are plenty of other reasons beyond himself as to why he's not doing well.  But there is not much you can do to support the wait and see argument in the face of how bad he has been right now.  But I guarantee you, if they are wrong, I'll make sure that anytime we talk about future draft picks and player evaluations, I'll make it known that the nay sayers opinion isn't worth a damn thing.

Just make sure you apply the same standard to the blind faith fans who defend FO decisions that turn out to be bad as well.