Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players that no one is talking about...

Coffeedrinker

... but played a great last night.

Walden:  I've been a critic of his but the last two gasmes he has played well.  He let Tate outside of him once last night and made a desperate dive over the defender and took him down.  I haven't ever questioned his activity level only his technique.  He also was the first one to play the naked bootleg properly.

Angerer:  He's seems to be the whipping boy on this forum but the last two games he has been playing really well.  Even before his heroics on Houston's last drive he was playing better than Freeman.

Werner:  Showed some nerves when he first came into the game, settled down and played some good ball after the first few plays.

AC:  He doesn't get the press that Smith gets or even Solder but he has been playing at a pro-bowl level all season.  His ability to take on a defender one on one really helped the Colts to make some adjustments to handle the rest of the Texans front 7.

Bethea:  He gets overshadowed sometimes with the return of Landry and the, usually, top notch play of Davis but he is about as good as a FS gets.  Kind of hard to fault him for the AJ catch, he was playing him well, Johnson just saw where the ball was going a split second before Bethea... 8 times out of 10 that type of throw ends up incomplete or INT.

add landry. the guy just flys to the ball. I remember late in the game they ran a wr screen and landry just appeared out of nowhere on to my tv screen. he didnt make the tackle, but he stopped the wr enough for someone else to

Nice post Coffee....good stuff.

Being a Special Teams freak, I thought the work of Sergio Brown and Lavon Brazill was pretty special pinning the Texans deep. (Even though the special teams were bad last evening)

Brazill made a heck of a play on the sideline that somehow got overruled as well.  Brazill can play special teams, and I feel he will develop as a receiver.....soon :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!

Andy Studebaker is currently my favorite "Who's that guy?"  Does pretty well on special teams, and had half a sack against Denver.  Plus, him man-handling Holliday on one of the punts against Denver was funny.

I really did have a "who's that?!" moment last night, with number 21.  How long has Jalil Brown been on the roster? 

Andy Studebaker is currently my favorite "Who's that guy?"  Does pretty well on special teams, and had half a sack against Denver.  Plus, him man-handling Holliday on one of the punts against Denver was funny.

I really did have a "who's that?!" moment last night, with number 21.  How long has Jalil Brown been on the roster? 

a week

add landry. the guy just flys to the ball. I remember late in the game they ran a wr screen and landry just appeared out of nowhere on to my tv screen. he didnt make the tackle, but he stopped the wr enough for someone else to

Landry has been playing well in his return.  But a lot of people are talking about him, as the title states, this is meant to be about some of the players people are not talking about on a regular basis.

So pretty much anyone on defense not named Mathis?

No, not true.  I think the dline, Redding, Frankin and RJF have been playing adequate but not great.  Toler (against Denver) was steady not great.  Freeman played very good against Denver but really had a mediocre game against Houston.  Plus Studebaker and Brown are mentioned on here more for their ST play than defensive play.  Also I mentioned Constanzo who, you know, is not a defensive player.

I would add McAfee; he gets some quiet credit, some publicity when he has a big hit; but he is tough in other ways.  After watching the phantom blocked punted, he had to be almost super human to not have been injured, like a broken leg.  Also the ability to scoop up the bad snap and still keep the presence of mind to get off a punt, a great one at that..... the ability to pin the opponent inside the 5yd line.....  McAfee, an unsung hero...... GO COLTS!

I would add McAfee; he gets some quiet credit, some publicity when he has a big hit; but he is tough in other ways.  After watching the phantom blocked punted, he had to be almost super human to not have been injured, like a broken leg.  Also the ability to scoop up the bad snap and still keep the presence of mind to get off a punt, a great one at that..... the ability to pin the opponent inside the 5yd line.....  McAfee, an unsung hero...... GO COLTS!

Love Pat, but he gets his share of Love...

The guy is on Bob & Tom, has his own podcast, gets awards for his high quality tweeting, & he is an world class swimmer...

but the thing I would not call him is "an unsung hero"

he did do a good job of wrapping up the runner on that tackle he made last night though...

I would add McAfee; he gets some quiet credit, some publicity when he has a big hit; but he is tough in other ways. After watching the phantom blocked punted, he had to be almost super human to not have been injured, like a broken leg. Also the ability to scoop up the bad snap and still keep the presence of mind to get off a punt, a great one at that..... the ability to pin the opponent inside the 5yd line..... McAfee, an unsung hero...... GO COLTS!

That 55 yd punt under duress and let's not to mention another touchdown saving tackle

Holliday stood next to the ball watching it roll and Studebaker was there to smack him away from the ball. lol

Landry has been playing well in his return.  But a lot of people are talking about him, as the title states, this is meant to be about some of the players people are not talking about on a regular basis.

he doesnt get enough credit though. I honestly believe hes the best player on our defense because of what he brings to our defense. everyone can worry about doing their job because if there is a missed assignment hes there to clean it up

I think there's a league rule against calling your franchise player unsung.

... but played a great last night.

Walden:  I've been a critic of his but the last two gasmes he has played well.  He let Tate outside of him once last night and made a desperate dive over the defender and took him down.  I haven't ever questioned his activity level only his technique.  He also was the first one to play the naked bootleg properly.

Angerer:  He's seems to be the whipping boy on this forum but the last two games he has been playing really well.  Even before his heroics on Houston's last drive he was playing better than Freeman.

Werner:  Showed some nerves when he first came into the game, settled down and played some good ball after the first few plays.

AC:  He doesn't get the press that Smith gets or even Solder but he has been playing at a pro-bowl level all season.  His ability to take on a defender one on one really helped the Colts to make some adjustments to handle the rest of the Texans front 7.

Bethea:  He gets overshadowed sometimes with the return of Landry and the, usually, top notch play of Davis but he is about as good as a FS gets.  Kind of hard to fault him for the AJ catch, he was playing him well, Johnson just saw where the ball was going a split second before Bethea... 8 times out of 10 that type of throw ends up incomplete or INT.

Agree that Walden made a lot of plays.

Angerer had probably his best game ever and was pretty decent.

haha about Castonzo, he was not bad.

Bethea has played ok the last 2 games. Much of that is Manusky.

Never understood the hate Angerer gets around here.  He's typically solid, last night was no exception.  Bethea has been disappointing lately, though I wouldn't expect any safety to have much luck one on one against Andre Johnson like Bethea was a couple times last night.  That's on the coach, not Antoine.  Walden is quietly becoming a very solid starter.  

I talked to Studebakers dad at the Denver game. Pretty cool group of people. They talked about how he played at kansas city for a few years then He came here this year and its more like a home game for them because they drove in from Illinois. Pretty cool, the kid is a great addition to our special teams 

There may be but he has a Canal exemption and his swimming merit badge.... so he gets a pass...

Okay then I just want to say that it was Adam that forced the runner on the blocked kick back to the middle of the field and then Pat who wrapped up for the tackle and I'm thinking that's not only unsung hero territory but maybe Pat and Adam could go into tag team wrestling and of course their outfits would include colorful swim suits.......oh wait...maybe Pat wasn't wearing a swimsuit when he earned his exemption? so nevermind.....

Definitely Pat Angerer was one of the unsung heroes, especially those last two drives he was all over the place.

Offensively I thought the Stanford crew in Whalen and Fleener both played very well.

Even though Whalen only had 3 catches for 30+ yards he had an absolutely huge third down reception, Luck threw @ him twice in a row I believe.

I thought both DB and Trent played well, Trent with blocking and the two nice catches with a big one later in the 4th. DB had a great game running the ball.