Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why I LOVE the elevation of Griff Whalen

Legend of Luck

As a Colts fan living in Ohio, I have been to a number of Bengals and Browns related events. Training camps, open practices, ect. And I have always been able to see how people perform in the offseason and then see how it relates to their regular season play. I've seen guys do amazing in camp, then continue it through to the season. And every now and then, you have a few guys who look great in camp but slow down and stall in regular play.

This offseason, I had the privilege of going to two Colts offseason activities. The first was the open mini-camp practice at Lucas Oil. The second was the open Training Camp Night Practice in Anderson.

The one person that clearly stood out in BOTH activities, whether he was with the first string or the second string, was Griff Whalen.

As a matter of fact, most of you will recall my write-up from training camp early this summer. One of the first things I mention was how great Griff looked. http://forums.colts.com/topic/19483-live-results-and-observations-for-86-evening-camp/

He caught EVERY pass thrown his way. As a matter of fact, I dont recall a single incompletion for Griff during either of the events. (Granted, that was months ago, but regardless.)

I think the biggest obstacle for the team to overcome with Reggie's injury is his sure hands. On third down, when we need a conversion, Luck needs a dependable receiver that he KNOWS can make the catch.

Luck has that in Griff. Above all else, THAT is the attribute that Griff possesses, sure hands. 

They have tons of chemistry from their time together at Stanford. Luck praised him all throughout training camp, as did the coaches and the fans. Luck trusts him. And in order for us to continue are winning ways, we need that dependable 3rd down receiver.

I love T.Y., of course, and I'm expecting a big elevation for DHB ( I think, knowing that he is going to be a major focal point, and that the team is really counting on him, he is going to make the most of his opportunity and really step up. Reggie will be there on the sidelines to coach and guide him, too.), but at the end of the day, I feel better knowing that we have someone who can make a great catch, take a big hit, and hold onto the ball, which is what I saw Griff do at both practices this year.

I also love that we are elevating and developing our own talent from the inside, versus trying to make another move for one of the "on the block" wide receivers. 

So excited for Sunday. Let's pummel those Texans into the dirt! GO COLTS!

As a Colts fan living in Ohio, I have been to a number of Bengals and Browns related events. Training camps, open practices, ect. And I have always been able to see how people perform in the offseason and then see how it relates to their regular season play. I've seen guys do amazing in camp, then continue it through to the season. And every now and then, you have a few guys who look great in camp but slow down and stall in regular play.

This offseason, I had the privilege of going to two Colts offseason activities. The first was the open mini-camp practice at Lucas Oil. The second was the open Training Camp Night Practice in Anderson.

The one person that clearly stood out in BOTH activities, whether he was with the first string or the second string, was Griff Whalen.

As a matter of fact, most of you will recall my write-up from training camp early this summer. One of the first things I mention was how great Griff looked. http://forums.colts.com/topic/19483-live-results-and-observations-for-86-evening-camp/

He caught EVERY pass thrown his way. As a matter of fact, I dont recall a single incompletion for Griff during either of the events. (Granted, that was months ago, but regardless.)

I think the biggest obstacle for the team to overcome with Reggie's injury is his sure hands. On third down, when we need a conversion, Luck needs a dependable receiver that he KNOWS can make the catch.

Luck has that in Griff. Above all else, THAT is the attribute that Griff possesses, sure hands. 

They have tons of chemistry from their time together at Stanford. Luck praised him all throughout training camp, as did the coaches and the fans. Luck trusts him. And in order for us to continue are winning ways, we need that dependable 3rd down receiver.

I love T.Y., of course, and I'm expecting a big elevation for DHB ( I think, knowing that he is going to be a major focal point, and that the team is really counting on him, he is going to make the most of his opportunity and really step up. Reggie will be there on the sidelines to coach and guide him, too.), but at the end of the day, I feel better knowing that we have someone who can make a great catch, take a big hit, and hold onto the ball, which is what I saw Griff do at both practices this year.

I also love that we are elevating and developing our own talent from the inside, versus trying to make another move for one of the "on the block" wide receivers. 

Why would they do that he isn't anything more than a slot WR.

He'll likely rarely see the field. If we go 4 wide it's more likely Fleener is in the slot.

Whalen is the 5th option on the team behind TY, DHB, Brazill, and Fleener so im not expecting much.

I agree. Opportunities and targets will most likely not be as prevalent for Griff. But just from listening to what the coaches have said about relying on him, I think he will get some chances to prove his worth. Maybe he ends up supplanting Brazil as the  #3.

Grif has a chance to help with the most likely situational game needs (short completions to sure handed reveiver). The other PS option, Da'Rick, might be something down the road, and if nothing else can use his speed for downfield separation, but I think Grif satisfies the primary need when/if called upon.

Grif has a chance to help with the most likely situational game needs (short completions to sure handed reveiver). The other PS option, Da'Rick, might be something down the road, and if nothing else can use his speed for downfield separation, but I think Grif satisfies the primary need when/if called upon.

Totally agree.

You couldn't tell us why you "love" this move in the thread about the elevation of Whalen? 

It's a good thing everybody didn't do this. 

:rollseyes:

I agree. This was the next best thing to do behind trade for gordon.

I agree, I think this was our best option, Luck is familiar with Whalen and even though he's not the fastest, he will be where Luck expects him to be. I can't stress this enough. This will be huge in keeping the chains moving. I think he will be on the field, on third down a lot more than people on this board seem to think. He has great hands and is tough and reliable. We don't need him to put up huge numbers, The chemistry that Luck and Whalen already have can be a big plus.

I agree, I think this was our best option, Luck is familiar with Whalen and even though he's not the fastest, he will be where Luck expects him to be. I can't stress this enough. This will be huge in keeping the chains moving. I think he will be on the field, on third down a lot more than people on this board seem to think. He has great hands and is tough and reliable. We don't need him to put up huge numbers, The chemistry that Luck and Whalen already have can be a big plus.

I absolutely couldn't agree more. Exactly!!

I like the move.  People act like Wes Welker was a Heisman Trophy candidate.  Someone explain why Whalen could never be like Welker?  Is it speed?  Welker doesn't run a 4.3. and Whalen is a little bigger and stronger than Welker (see training camp pics).  I would say their hands are about the same.  The only difference is Welker knows how to get open and I don't see why Whalen can't do the same.  

Yeah, except he doesn't have a top 5 offensive line here like he did at Stanford

True, but Luck will be strong in the pocket and throw it downfield to Whalen or Fleener, and they catch it.  But, that isn't exactly a Stanford thing either.  Maybe they will bench McGlynn this week :) 

I agree. Opportunities and targets will most likely not be as prevalent for Griff. But just from listening to what the coaches have said about relying on him, I think he will get some chances to prove his worth. Maybe he ends up supplanting Brazil as the  #3.

I think they bring different things to the table and won't be surprised if Whalen and Brazil get the same amount of snaps.

For what it's worth, as good as Whalen looked in the preseason, Brazil looked as bad.

True, but Luck will be strong in the pocket and throw it downfield to Whalen or Fleener, and they catch it.  But, that isn't exactly a Stanford thing either.  Maybe they will bench McGlynn this week :)

I think Samson is worst than McGlynn  I don't think Mcglynn has done that bad Samson is just horrible but mcglynn isn't a RG he is a center.

I like this move, but not because I have some special insight or vast knowledge of every minute detail of Colts football like so many on this board. I like this move because the coaches, who see everybody every day in practice, have looked at every possible scenario and say this is the guy we need to move up. Is he the second coming of [insert name of legendary wide receiver here]? Probably not. But he will be the next man up, playing his butt cheeks off for my favorite team. God speed, Griff Whalen!

Maybe the Colts staff inquired about trading for Gordon and the Browns turned them down

I'm sure Grigson and co. tried for someone so I'm not faulting them for not trading. I just worry about WR depth and matchups should we make the playoffs. But hey Brady won Superbowls without A-List receivers.

I'm sure Grigson and co. tried for someone so I'm not faulting them for not trading. I just worry about WR depth and matchups should we make the playoffs. But hey Brady won Superbowls without A-List receivers.

we still got matchups, The loss of Wayne did not affect any of that, its not like he was a matchup nightmare, he made plays because of pure effort and heart not because of Mike Wallace like speed or Calvin Johnson like size and leaping ability, what we lose is  someone that we know for a fact can be relied on, Sure TY can make plays but he is hit and miss, DHB...well...Ill just say we will see on that. Whalen is a bit of the wild card in this because we dont know what we will get it, He will get open I know that much, Brazil is like Whalen, a wild card

we still got matchups, The loss of Wayne did not affect any of that, its not like he was a matchup nightmare, he made plays because of pure effort and heart not because of Mike Wallace like speed or Calvin Johnson like size and leaping ability, what we lose is  someone that we know for a fact can be relied on, Sure TY can make plays but he is hit and miss, DHB...well...Ill just say we will see on that. Whalen is a bit of the wild card in this because we dont know what we will get it, He will get open I know that much, Brazil is like Whalen, a wild card

Right, just the idea of having to prep for a guy like Reggie made things difficult. The fact that we lost that bit of edge, and the fact that it hasn't been replaced properly is a cause for concern imho. Alas all we can do is wait and see at this point. Gotta trust the guys who make the big bucks.

Right, just the idea of having to prep for a guy like Reggie made things difficult. The fact that we lost that bit of edge, and the fact that it hasn't been replaced properly is a cause for concern imho. Alas all we can do is wait and see at this point. Gotta trust the guys who make the big bucks.

hind sight on what we should have done is 20/20, If it were me and Cleveland was willing at the time then that 1st rouund pick would have went towards Gordon (I think Brandon Jacobs was still available when we made that trade if I remember right), we will just have to see what happens

I think Samson is worst than McGlynn  I don't think Mcglynn has done that bad Samson is just horrible but mcglynn isn't a RG he is a center.

If we move McGlynnn to C, let Satele back up or be released, and draft a young Guard in the draft or get Khaled Holmes involved. Idk if he is only a center or he would work at Guard

Here's another reason why I like it. Do the coaches believe in next man up? This is their chance to show it's not just a slogan. 

Perfect. What is the motivation for practice squad players to be game ready if they get passed over for a trade? The strength of this team to go deep into the playoffs IS the next man up. 

Well, I love your enthusiasm, and I hope you're right. I really do.

However, here's my thoughts on Whalen.......... "meh" Yeah, sure he runs decent routes and has solid hands. Can he get open? We'll see...

Welker doesn't have problems getting open. He is not a burner either.

Honestly, I don't see all the fuss anyways. He's on 4 wr on the depth chart.