Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning's Legacy shifting to Denver !

The Old Crow

He always comes up with threads that are made to start something. Thanks Nadine for noticing that. 

As usual, your observation is incorrect. Since I've been on this forum, I've only started probably two threads in 8 months. I've been very polite to fellow forum members in my responses to them, whether I agree or disagree. On the other hand, I have been unfairly called a" liar "by one poster when I brought factual court papers and newspaper articles that disputed a one sided blog he floats on this forum. I don't want to get into that, because this is not the place for it, but had I said that to another forum member, I probably would be rebuked. 

Others, such as yourself, and another poster, pile on when ever there is a topic or opposing opinion you disagree with, to paint me in an ill light. I'm sure that since I'm being forced to defend myself, I'll be painted as the mean axe-grinding opposing fan in the black hat. 

Sorry for bringing up a pertinent topic in the " NFL General " side of the forum, with the Colts-Broncos game coming up. I thought other fans were welcome here to post opinions, but I'm beginning to wonder. I've handled many anti-Ravens comments with good humor, and many times I agree with the poster criticizing the Ravens. I'm a Raven's fan, but not an out and out homer, where I can't be objective about the Ravens. I've heard many comments on Flacco's 120 million dollar salary, but I don't consider posters who bring that up as axe-grinders against the Ravens. They legitimately don't believe he's worth the money. 

I guarantee  if a Colt's fan brought this pertinent topic up, and trust me it will in another form as the game moves closer, you wouldn't have all these histronics. I was just trying to put out a topical and interesting thread, and I wasn't really paying attention to question marks or exclamation points, trust me. Maybe I should just have used a period. Anyway, I doubt that you will believe it anyway, but that's the way it is, and I tell it like it is, in a polite way. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Humm, so throwing 7 TD in a game, throwing 16 and no INTs, beating teams by double digits, and on pace to break the all time single season passing and TD record, leading the league in QB rating, at the age of 37 means nothing... well, not all of us can live in your fun house. we prefer to enjoy the view in front of us rather than complaining and saying but.. but.. but.. you get the picture.

Doesn't mean a thing, it's week four of the season. I've seen this show many times it's only ended differently once, and that was a collective effort and not all Peyton by any stretch. He shouldn't have been Superbowl MVP, Rhodes earned that honor. I also didn't complain or say "but" once. People liked my response so clearly I'm not alone in my thinking. If he does decide to go down as a Bronco and not a Colt he wouldn't be that different from a lot of fans.

Doesn't mean a thing, it's week four of the season. I've seen this show many times it's only ended differently once, and that was a collective effort and not all Peyton by any stretch. He shouldn't have been Superbowl MVP, Rhodes earned that honor. I also didn't complain or say "but" once. People liked my response so clearly I'm not alone in my thinking. If he does decide to go down as a Bronco and not a Colt he wouldn't be that different from a lot of fans.

Broncos need to win a game in January. Peyton's legacy in the regular season is secure. it is the post-season that will turn his overall legacy. Right now Denver's defense is ranked 16 and that was against the likes of the Raiders, Eagles, and Giants. I have a feeling come Jan we will be blaming Denver's D again and also undisciplined play too if they lose. That personal foul at the end of the half when the Broncos were driving for a score was unacceptable and seems to be an issue with this team. Sloppy play, dropped balls, etc. These things will show up against the better teams.

Broncos need to win a game in January. Peyton's legacy in the regular season is secure. it is the post-season that will turn his overall legacy. Right now Denver's defense is ranked 16 and that was against the likes of the Raiders, Eagles, and Giants. I have a feeling come Jan we will be blaming Denver's D again and also undisciplined play too if they lose. That personal foul at the end of the half when the Broncos were driving for a score was unacceptable and seems to be an issue with this team. Sloppy play, dropped balls, etc. These things will show up against the better teams.

Trust me , Peyton knows how important this post season is to his legacy. This time, his defense is very good, he has three running backs, and more receiving weapons than he's ever had before. If you are an opposing team going to Denver in the playoffs, pray for freezing cold. When I heard the weather report before last years playoff game, I was ecstatic because I knew that was our only chance.

Trust me , Peyton knows how important this post season is to his legacy. This time, his defense is very good, he has three running backs, and more receiving weapons than he's ever had before. If you are an opposing team going to Denver in the playoffs, pray for freezing cold. When I heard the weather report before last years playoff game, I was ecstatic because I knew that was our only chance.

I don't think his defense is very good at all. All four games have been close in the first half before the Broncs pulled out in the second half. They are letting up a lot of yards. They are not a playoff caliber defense right now.

As usual, your observation is incorrect. Since I've been on this forum, I've only started probably two threads in 8 months. I've been very polite to fellow forum members in my responses to them, whether I agree or disagree. On the other hand, I have been unfairly called a" liar "by one poster when I brought factual court papers and newspaper articles that disputed a one sided blog he floats on this forum. I don't want to get into that, because this is not the place for it, but had I said that to another forum member, I probably would be rebuked. 

Others, such as yourself, and another poster, pile on when ever there is a topic or opposing opinion you disagree with, to paint me in an ill light. I'm sure that since I'm being forced to defend myself, I'll be painted as the mean axe-grinding opposing fan in the black hat. 

Sorry for bringing up a pertinent topic in the " NFL General " side of the forum, with the Colts-Broncos game coming up. I thought other fans were welcome here to post opinions, but I'm beginning to wonder. I've handled many anti-Ravens comments with good humor, and many times I agree with the poster criticizing the Ravens. I'm a Raven's fan, but not an out and out homer, where I can't be objective about the Ravens. I've heard many comments on Flacco's 120 million dollar salary, but I don't consider posters who bring that up as axe-grinders against the Ravens. They legitimately don't believe he's worth the money. 

I guarantee  if a Colt's fan brought this pertinent topic up, and trust me it will in another form as the game moves closer, you wouldn't have all these histronics. I was just trying to put out a topical and interesting thread, and I wasn't really paying attention to question marks or exclamation points, trust me. Maybe I should just have used a period. Anyway, I doubt that you will believe it anyway, but that's the way it is, and I tell it like it is, in a polite way. 

Whatever you say. I am not the only one who has that opinion of you so I am not alone in that. I don't need you to write a book explaining anything to me. I know what I read and my comprehension is pretty good. 

Whatever you say. I am not the only one who has that opinion of you so I am not alone in that. I don't need you to write a book explaining anything to me. I know what I read and my comprehension is pretty good. 

CrazyColt it's fine if you have that opinion of me, and I'm fine with that. I don't take it personally, but it's irrelevant what kind of opinion any of you guys have about me on the forum. I know I can't change those opinions, but I'm just responding in an honest fashion to the topics I enjoy. I like talking NFL football be it on the Ravens, Colts, or any other forum. 

The other poster constantly makes odd posts to me which I don't understand because they never elaborate, and says I should know what they are talking about, like I'm a mind-reader. As I've said, I've only started probably two threads in my history on this forum. My opinions are varied, and across the board on different topics. Most Colt fanatics like yourself, will never like opposing fans views, and I get that. I actually enjoy Steelers, and other fans views, on the Raven's forum, as you get a different take on it, but that's just me. 

Is a New Hall of Fame Member Enshrined as a Member of a Team?

Obviously, teams take great pride in the accomplishments of individuals who have been a part of their organization.  Often individual teams and even the Hall of Fame will list enshrinees according to the team or teams on which they spent a significant period of time.  An enshrinee, however, is not asked to “declare,” nor does the Hall of Fame “choose” a team under which a new member is enshrined.  When elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an individual is recognized for his accomplishments as a player, coach, or contributor.

- See more at: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/SelectionProcessFAQ.aspx#sthash.vLNg6nvB.dpuf

The above is from the HOF's website. Players don't go in with one particular team affiliation. 

I don't think his defense is very good at all. All four games have been close in the first half before the Broncs pulled out in the second half. They are letting up a lot of yards. They are not a playoff caliber defense right now.

But they still have Von Miller and Champ Bailey waiting in the wings...

Can we wait until he actually wins something of importance before this is brought up? 4 wins in September does not equal multiple Super Bowl wins or dictate the ownership of his legacy. Good grief.

Getting to the SB is always been a daunting task for PM. Then winning an outdoor game in a possible blizzard would be "daunting task " #2 for him. You pretty much need to throw a spiral to be accurate in cold windy conditions , passes that wobble a bit don't get it done.

That is what I believe he should do. If I were Peyton, I would never come back and let the Colts use his image or his presence in any way. He is a Bronco now and he is surpassing all he ever did in Indy. I said before the season started that Peyton was going to put up the best year in NFL QB history with the best core of receivers around him that he has every had. That was hooted down by Luck fans who said he was too old and would be retiring next year if he didn't get another neck injury and was forced to leave this year. Then people said that his present core of receivers couldn't compare to Harrison, Wayne, Stokely and Clark. I am talking about altogether at the same time. Clark was never a major factor until Stokely left the team. Wes Welker gives him the last piece to be the best four a QB ever threw to at the same time.

Edited by Superman

Is a New Hall of Fame Member Enshrined as a Member of a Team?

Obviously, teams take great pride in the accomplishments of individuals who have been a part of their organization.  Often individual teams and even the Hall of Fame will list enshrinees according to the team or teams on which they spent a significant period of time.  An enshrinee, however, is not asked to “declare,” nor does the Hall of Fame “choose” a team under which a new member is enshrined.  When elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an individual is recognized for his accomplishments as a player, coach, or contributor.

- See more at: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/SelectionProcessFAQ.aspx#sthash.vLNg6nvB.dpuf

The above is from the HOF's website. Players don't go in with one particular team affiliation. 

sssh don't let facts get in the way of people trying to ruin Colts fans days. 

Has any player ever been placed in two different Rings of Honor? 

I believe Peyton would accomplish this if they win 2+ SB's.

I think he could do it with one.  It's in large part due to him that the Bronco's are putting up 40+ points a game.

But if he wins a SB in Denver being the first starting QB to win a SB with 2 different teams, his legacy in Denver will be secured and he will be very much like Kurt Warner having a shared legacy with 2 different teams.  

I do believe and hope though that he will sign a 1 day contract with the Colt's after he's done and retire as a Colt.  But the longer he plays in Denver and the more successful he becomes there, the more questionable all of this becomes. 

the closer we get to the denver/colts game, the more i feel for the people who have to moderate this forum 

During Pats rivalry week in its heyday I always suggested to the mods that they shut down new sign-ups the week prior to help control this issue.

I also usually just took a week sabbatical that week (and the week following the post-season loss).  Too much drama.

During Pats rivalry week in its heyday I always suggested to the mods that they shut down new sign-ups the week prior to help control this issue.

I also usually just took a week sabbatical that week (and the week following the post-season loss).  Too much drama.

Honestly , I don't get the need for censorship of a topic like this. It is a relevant topic, and if it's too much drama, just go onto the next thread. I don't see people being impolite , and the Manning legacy is important to many people. If this was some other 37 year old quarterback , you wouldn't even be having this discussion. However, Manning is so good it's scary, even at an age when most quarterbacks have seen better days. I think Manning is very interested in his legacy, and winning a few more Championships will make him possibly the best of all time. If he wins no Championships on Denver , he will probably be best remembered as a Colt. If he wins multiple Championships in Denver , he may be better remembered as a Bronco. First , of course, he needs to win the first one, but he has gotten off to a good start this season.

I know Yogi Berra didn't forgive the Yankees for a long time for firing him, and he refused to attend old timers games, and the like. I've wondered, but don't know about how Manning currently feels about Irsay and the Colts, and whether he would attend Indy events after he retired. I tend to think he would , but nobody likes a bruised ego.

Getting to the SB is always been a daunting task for PM. Then winning an outdoor game in a possible blizzard would be "daunting task " #2 for him. You pretty much need to throw a spiral to be accurate in cold windy conditions , passes that wobble a bit don't get it done.

The chances of a blizzard a probably slim and none

The chances of a blizzard a probably slim and none

LEWISTON, Maine -- The Farmers' Almanac is using words like "piercing cold," "bitterly cold" and "biting cold" to describe the upcoming winter. And if its predictions are right, the first outdoor Super Bowl in years will be a messy "Storm Bowl."

The 197-year-old publication that hits newsstands Monday predicts a winter storm will hit the Northeast around the time the Super Bowl is played at MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands in New Jersey. It also predicts a colder-than-normal winter for two-thirds of the country and heavy snowfall in the Midwest, Great Lakes and New England.

"We're using a very strong four-letter word to describe this winter, which is C-O-L-D. It's going to be very cold," said Sandi Duncan, managing editor.

(PHOTOS: Massive Wildfire Consumes Hundreds of Miles in This State)

Based on planetary positions, sunspots and lunar cycles, the almanac's secret formula is largely unchanged since founder David Young published the first almanac in 1818.

Modern scientists don't put much stock in sunspots or tidal action, but the almanac says its forecasts used by readers to plan weddings and plant gardens are correct about 80 percent of the time.

"Seasonal forecasts for the winter are done by a number of organizations each year, including NOAA and The Weather Channel," said weather.com meteorologist Chris Dolce. "Although they provide some value in determining what kind of temperatures and precipitation a particular region may see over the course of a longer period of time (i.e. 3-month period), the day-to-day specifics are impossible to nail down.

"The type of weather we will see during the Super Bowl will be dictated by the exact weather pattern in place at that time, which we cannot forecast this far in advance."

Last year, the forecast called for cold weather for the eastern and central U.S. with milder temperatures west of the Great Lakes. It started just the opposite but ended up that way.

Caleb Weatherbee, the publication's elusive prognosticator, said he was off by only a couple of days on two of the season's biggest storms: a February blizzard that paralyzed the Northeast with 3 feet of snow in some places and a sloppy storm the day before spring's arrival that buried parts of New England.

Readers who put stock in the almanac's forecasts may do well to stock up on long johns, especially if they're lucky enough to get tickets to the Super Bowl on Feb. 2. The first Super Bowl held outdoors in a cold-weather environment could be both super cold and super messy, with a big storm due Feb. 1 to 3, the almanac says.

Said Duncan: "It really looks like the Super Bowl may be the Storm Bowl."

The Maine-based Farmers' Almanac, not to be confused with the New Hampshire-based Old Farmer's Almanac, which will be published next month, features a mix of corny jokes, gardening tips, nostalgia and home remedies, like feeding carrots to dogs to help with bad breath and using mashed bananas to soothe dry, cracked skin in the winter.

Also in this year's edition, editor Peter Geiger is leading a campaign to get people to ditch the penny, like Canada is doing.

Past campaigns have focused on moving Thanksgiving to harvest time in October, reconsidering "The Star-Spangled Banner" as the national anthem and changing the color of money. This time, Geiger thinks he has a winner.

He wants people to donate pennies to charity and then lobby Congress to stop making them.

"They don't get used very much. They get tossed. The only real use of a penny is if you save tens of thousands of them, then you can use them to help someone," he said.

M

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Superman, October 1, 2013 - discussing moderation
Hidden by Superman, October 1, 2013 - discussing moderation

Why? In my opinion, they tend to be a hyperactive group who all too often step on people who express an opinion they don't happen to agree with. If you do not like what someone has to say, ignore his posts don't censor him or her.

Edited by Superman

If Peyton Manning lasts four more years and wins two Super Bowls in Denver , he may be well looked upon more as a Bronco, than a Colt. If he continues to follow up this historic season thus far, with a Super Bowl win , then gets one or two more, he will be remembered more for his greatest successes , if he succeeds in Denver. It would be like Frank Robinson who played many more years with the Cincinnati Reds, but is known more as Baltimore Oriole due to post season success and World Series wins. The way Manning probably perceives himself being treated at the end of his Indy tenure, I could see him going into the Bronco's Ring of Honor, if he finishes like Elway did .

He needs to start by winning a playoff game. Looks like a regular season MVP again. LOL

LEWISTON, Maine -- The Farmers' Almanac is using words like "piercing cold," "bitterly cold" and "biting cold" to describe the upcoming winter. And if its predictions are right, the first outdoor Super Bowl in years will be a messy "Storm Bowl."

The 197-year-old publication that hits newsstands Monday predicts a winter storm will hit the Northeast around the time the Super Bowl is played at MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands in New Jersey. It also predicts a colder-than-normal winter for two-thirds of the country and heavy snowfall in the Midwest, Great Lakes and New England.

"We're using a very strong four-letter word to describe this winter, which is C-O-L-D. It's going to be very cold," said Sandi Duncan, managing editor.

Based on planetary positions, sunspots and lunar cycles, the almanac's secret formula is largely unchanged since founder David Young published the first almanac in 1818.

Modern scientists don't put much stock in sunspots or tidal action, but the almanac says its forecasts used by readers to plan weddings and plant gardens are correct about 80 percent of the time.

"Seasonal forecasts for the winter are done by a number of organizations each year, including NOAA and The Weather Channel," said weather.com meteorologist Chris Dolce. "Although they provide some value in determining what kind of temperatures and precipitation a particular region may see over the course of a longer period of time (i.e. 3-month period), the day-to-day specifics are impossible to nail down.

"The type of weather we will see during the Super Bowl will be dictated by the exact weather pattern in place at that time, which we cannot forecast this far in advance."

Last year, the forecast called for cold weather for the eastern and central U.S. with milder temperatures west of the Great Lakes. It started just the opposite but ended up that way.

Caleb Weatherbee, the publication's elusive prognosticator, said he was off by only a couple of days on two of the season's biggest storms: a February blizzard that paralyzed the Northeast with 3 feet of snow in some places and a sloppy storm the day before spring's arrival that buried parts of New England.

Readers who put stock in the almanac's forecasts may do well to stock up on long johns, especially if they're lucky enough to get tickets to the Super Bowl on Feb. 2. The first Super Bowl held outdoors in a cold-weather environment could be both super cold and super messy, with a big storm due Feb. 1 to 3, the almanac says.

The Maine-based Farmers' Almanac, not to be confused with the New Hampshire-based Old Farmer's Almanac, which will be published next month, features a mix of corny jokes, gardening tips, nostalgia and home remedies, like feeding carrots to dogs to help with bad breath and using mashed bananas to soothe dry, cracked skin in the winter.

Also in this year's edition, editor Peter Geiger is leading a campaign to get people to ditch the penny, like Canada is doing.

Past campaigns have focused on moving Thanksgiving to harvest time in October, reconsidering "The Star-Spangled Banner" as the national anthem and changing the color of money. This time, Geiger thinks he has a winner.

He wants people to donate pennies to charity and then lobby Congress to stop making them.

"They don't get used very much. They get tossed. The only real use of a penny is if you save tens of thousands of them, then you can use them to help someone," he said.

M

Did you really just quote the farmers almanac?

He needs to start by winning a playoff game. Looks like a regular season MVP again. LOL

If he doesn't win, you are right, people will continue to question why he hasn't won more Championships, with all of his talent. He got the first monkey off his back in 2006 when he won the Super Bowl, and showed he could win the big one. Now he's fighting for his legacy as a multi-Super Bowl winner, and perhaps the greatest of all time. 

Did you really just quote the farmers almanac?

Really now.. go find someone else to annoy. I have zero use for your always annoying , condescending crap. My point was not that the SB will be played in a blizzard , but that there is a very good chance that it could be played in very adverse weather. We all saw how effective Manning was in New England ( January playoff games) when his arm strength was probably at it's peak.  

Really now.. go find someone else to annoy. I have zero use for your always annoying , condescending crap. My point was not that the SB will be played in a blizzard , but that there is a very good chance that it could be played in very adverse weather. We all saw how effective Manning was in New England ( January playoff games) when his arm strength was probably at it's peak.

......if you meant adverse weather, say adverse weather because there is a big gulf between the two. And then you compound it by quoting the farmers almanac. But hey, point the finger at me.

Edited by Nadine
personal shot

If he doesn't win, you are right, people will continue to question why he hasn't won more Championships, with all of his talent. He got the first monkey off his back in 2006 when he won the Super Bowl, and showed he could win the big one. Now he's fighting for his legacy as a multi-Super Bowl winner, and perhaps the greatest of all time. 

Old Crow he just may have another team good enough to carry him to another SB.

It may take a blizzard And some pins in my, uh, i mean A Vodoo doll, and a Team that can run the ball with abandon to put the whopp`in on, and eliminate the Broncs this time. :D

M

Well it's Jersey. And winter. I think this will be a bad winter though personally....

hmmm sounds like ideal conditions maybe for a feisty on the rise team from the AFC with a clutch second year QB, HOF receiver and power running game......

;)

Old Crow he just may have another team good enough to carry him to another SB.

It may take a blizzard And some pins in my, uh, i mean A Vodoo doll, and a Team that can run the ball with abandon to put the whopp`in on, and eliminate the Broncs this time. :D

He has a good running game that you need in cold weather, plus a real good possession receiver in Welker. As we all know when you hit the cold weather , you have to have a stout defense and running game. Manning had us beat last year, and if not for a blown coverage by the safety, who knows what might have happened. I'm darn glad it did happen because it could be a long year if things don't improve.

Well it's Jersey. And winter. I think this will be a bad winter though personally....

hmmm sounds like ideal conditions maybe for a feisty on the rise team from the AFC with a clutch second year QB, HOF receiver and power running game......

;)

I would tell Irsay to keep that roof open as much as possible, as the Colts could be heading to New England or Denver eventually for the playoffs. You have to play games in freezing conditions to be ready for any road game in the playoffs .