Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning's Legacy shifting to Denver !

The Old Crow

If Peyton Manning lasts four more years and wins two Super Bowls in Denver , he may be well looked upon more as a Bronco, than a Colt. If he continues to follow up this historic season thus far, with a Super Bowl win , then gets one or two more, he will be remembered more for his greatest successes , if he succeeds in Denver. It would be like Frank Robinson who played many more years with the Cincinnati Reds, but is known more as Baltimore Oriole due to post season success and World Series wins. The way Manning probably perceives himself being treated at the end of his Indy tenure, I could see him going into the Bronco's Ring of Honor, if he finishes like Elway did .

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoy how everyone seems to think that Irsay was like "Hey Noodle Arm, your done, get off my team." 

They were both crying during the conference. It was more than likely that it was a mutual decision. Nobody could have legitly foreseen that an unknown GM would build this team to what it is now in only 2 years and that Peyton could probably win a Superbowl with what we have now. 

If Peyton Manning lasts four more years and wins two Super Bowls in Denver , he may be well looked upon more as a Bronco, than a Colt. If he continues to follow up this historic season thus far, with a Super Bowl win , then gets one or two more, he will be remembered more for his greatest successes , if he succeeds in Denver. It would be like Frank Robinson who played many more years with the Cincinnati Reds, but is known more as Baltimore Oriole due to post season success and World Series wins. The way Manning probably perceives himself being treated at the end of his Indy tenure, I could see him going into the Bronco's Ring of Honor, if he finishes like Elway did .

No, he will always be a Colt

Guest TeamLoloJones

Nope...not true...not even remotely. Peyton changed the culture in Indianapolis...he can win 4 superbowls in Denver and he will still always be a Colt. 

I don't think anyone (including Peyton)  knows at this point what will happen when he decides to retire.

Two things are Certain.

One ~ He will go into the HOF ~  that's a Given.

Two ~  Whether it's as a Colt or a Bronco,  who knows, but it's not going to be decided on a Forum Board.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Has any player ever been placed in two different Rings of Honor? 

I believe Peyton would accomplish this if they win 2+ SB's.

For what Peyton has meant to the NFL and what he has done for the game...he should be in every single team's ring of honor.

Guest TeamLoloJones

The HOF will list him as a Colt and Bronco, but it will be up to fans and NFL historians to see which franchise he will be best remembered for playing. His current play is record shattering and shocking.

Oh come on...he has played 3 of the worst defenses in the league in Oakland, Philly, and the Giants.  And the Ravens defense is not great either.  His numbers will slow down when he plays a team that knows what the word coverage even means.

Oh come on...he has played 3 of the worst defenses in the league in Oakland, Philly, and the Giants. And the Ravens defense is not great either. His numbers will slow down when he plays a team that knows what the word coverage even means.

nobody can cover everybody. Lots of weapons

If....a HUGE IF...he won even 1 much less 2 SBs in Denver and broke all the passing records in Denver it would be interesting to see how he goes into the hall of fame. I guess it isn't like MLB where you where a hat in so it is kinda pointless. He would definately be in both ROH...I'm sure. It would be kind of a bidding war to see who could claim him. He will always be a Colt to us fans....and that is who he belongs to...not the franchise...but the fans. So that is all that matters. That said if he was to set all his records in Denver...possibly TDs in a season, career TDs, career yds, and if he wins a SB in Denver well the NFL will have a tough time deciding how he is represented...but lets face it...his career there would be just as significant as the one here. As a Colt franchise go we gave up all right to call him a Colt (organizationally) when we got rid of him. Remember the Colts cut him...didn't want him and didn't think he had it in him to be great again...so Irsay and the franchise I don't feel can claim him. Us Colt and Peyton fans have every right to claim him. I think Peyton is incredibly motivated to win a SB....passionate about it....and I don't think Peyton is vindictive or anything...he is just a good guy and I don't think he would be anything but classy to us Colt fans....and in a couple weeks we will witness that again first class.....quite possibly after he puts on a clinic...

Guest TeamLoloJones

nobody can cover everybody. Lots of weapons

I have yet to see a competent defense actually challenge Denver's receivers.  They have all played soft and scared.  

I don't think anyone (including Peyton)  knows at this point what will happen when he decides to retire.

Two things are Certain.

One ~ He will go into the HOF ~  that's a Given.

Two ~  Whether it's as a Colt or a Bronco,  who knows, but it's not going to be decided on a Forum Board.

WHAT? (sponge bob voice) I think we should get to decide

I guess time will tell

you trying to start something?

Oh come on...he has played 3 of the worst defenses in the league in Oakland, Philly, and the Giants.  And the Ravens defense is not great either.  His numbers will slow down when he plays a team that knows what the word coverage even means.

No doubt he won't go the whole season without throwing an int or perhaps be held down a bit but what makes you think that someone that has thrown for 49 TDs in a season once before couldn't do it again...did he not face any good defenses that year? Did he not show you last year that he can play well against good defenses? I mean he was essentially an MVP qb all season last year too? Peyton won't remain perfect...and likely the Broncos won't either....but the only way you can really shut down the offense is for it to turn it over or get bad penalties and limit itself. I'm not saying Peyton will break that record (I really think they will continue to run it more and more each week) but really?? Peyton's numbers won't change much against any "good" defenses. I guess you will have to tell us which team is good enough to test Peyton...so we can judge if what he is doing is worthy of praise or not.

We have all seen this song and dance before, only to watch the year come to a crashing end.

Denver is playing very well.    But Denver has also played teams with a combined 4-12 record.   Not one of ranking higher than 15 in total D in the NFL.

After January this year Denver may not want to remember Peyton....      ;)

I can see it now, Denver clinches in week 13, rests the O the last couple games.    Sits through the buy and a wildcard team rolls into Denver and smacks them right in the mouth. 

Just like clock work....

JMO

If....a HUGE IF...he won even 1 much less 2 SBs in Denver and broke all the passing records in Denver it would be interesting to see how he goes into the hall of fame. I guess it isn't like MLB where you where a hat in so it is kinda pointless. He would definately be in both ROH...I'm sure. It would be kind of a bidding war to see who could claim him. He will always be a Colt to us fans....and that is who he belongs to...not the franchise...but the fans. So that is all that matters. That said if he was to set all his records in Denver...possibly TDs in a season, career TDs, career yds, and if he wins a SB in Denver well the NFL will have a tough time deciding how he is represented...but lets face it...his career there would be just as significant as the one here. As a Colt franchise go we gave up all right to call him a Colt (organizationally) when we got rid of him. Remember the Colts cut him...didn't want him and didn't think he had it in him to be great again...so Irsay and the franchise I don't feel can claim him. Us Colt and Peyton fans have every right to claim him. I think Peyton is incredibly motivated to win a SB....passionate about it....and I don't think Peyton is vindictive or anything...he is just a good guy and I don't think he would be anything but classy to us Colt fans....and in a couple weeks we will witness that again first class.....quite possibly after he puts on a clinic...

I think he will always be fond of Colts fans, but I would think he would be highly motivated to beat the Colts because he was cut by Irsay. I know they had the press conference and all , but you know a proud guy like Manning was hurt by that , although Irsay probably made the right longer term decision. If he is still upset with Irsay four years down the line , Peyton may call the shots on how his legacy is displayed

Manning's legacy HAS shifted. He will always be remembered as a Colt, but......if he wins a few SB's in Denver, he'll belong to two fanbases. He is no longer ours. 

I agree with this. I believe that Irsay was nothing but professional when the split happened. I believe it was very hard on both of them, however, the split happened long before that day in March with the war of words that took place during the superbowl. That leads me to believe the split wasn't as "nice" as we would think. I think after everything Peyton accomplished he expected a different outcome in Indy, though he would NEVER admit it. I see Denver as his home now and judging by statements and articles I do not think it is as crystal clear as it used to be. Peyton is STILL breaking records and many are Denver franchise records. I think he has a wonderful relationship with Elway and will be held in very high regard there making it very dificult to decide. Whatever he chooses to do it will not be a direct insult to Colts or Broncos fans. Peyton will do what he feels is best for himself and both franchises. He is playing at such a high level now that it will be hard for anyone to forget his time in Denver and if he wins 1 or more superbowls I think it becomes even harder for the Colts to claim him after throwing him away for a "younger" model. It may have been the right decision and I would never argue that but along with hard decisions comes consequences. Him retiring as a Bronco might just be that consequence. I don't think anyone could have predicted that Peyton would be THIS good at this point in his career. It was a gamble for both organizations and we will see which one wins in the end. The Broncos will want him just as much as the Colts.

I have yet to see a competent defense actually challenge Denver's receivers.  They have all played soft and scared.  

Baltimore played very very tight coverage week 1...and then Peyton made adjustments and stroked them for 7 tds...it isn't the defenses...Peyton moves his guys around and changes plays to attack the weakness of the defense....no defense can withstand that. Teams are going to have to start standing up everyone and walk them around and then drop 7 and 8 and do stuff like that if they are going to try to slow him down....even so he seems to have the right play dialed up....sometimes you just have to give credit where credit is due....just give Peyton his credit and move on. Until shown otherwise....he is like a chessmaster toying with teams right now....not saying he can't make a mistake but right now he is playing madden on starter level.

WHAT? (sponge bob voice) I think we should get to decide

I guess time will tell

you trying to start something?

No , but I think only a guy of his stature could even begin a discussion on a topic like this. Most quarterbacks when they get to this point are washed up, not this guy. It's incredible the stats he is putting up.

Guest TeamLoloJones

No doubt he won't go the whole season without throwing an int or perhaps be held down a bit but what makes you think that someone that has thrown for 49 TDs in a season once before couldn't do it again...did he not face any good defenses that year? Did he not show you last year that he can play well against good defenses? I mean he was essentially an MVP qb all season last year too? Peyton won't remain perfect...and likely the Broncos won't either....but the only way you can really shut down the offense is for it to turn it over or get bad penalties and limit itself. I'm not saying Peyton will break that record (I really think they will continue to run it more and more each week) but really?? Peyton's numbers won't change much against any "good" defenses. I guess you will have to tell us which team is good enough to test Peyton...so we can judge if what he is doing is worthy of praise or not.

I'm saying it's week 4 and he has not faced even a top 20 caliber defense.  Everybody should just calm down.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Baltimore played very very tight coverage week 1...and then Peyton made adjustments and stroked them for 7 tds...it isn't the defenses...Peyton moves his guys around and changes plays to attack the weakness of the defense....no defense can withstand that. Teams are going to have to start standing up everyone and walk them around and then drop 7 and 8 and do stuff like that if they are going to try to slow him down....even so he seems to have the right play dialed up....sometimes you just have to give credit where credit is due....just give Peyton his credit and move on. Until shown otherwise....he is like a chessmaster toying with teams right now....not saying he can't make a mistake but right now he is playing madden on starter level.

I wasn't saying he isn't playing at a high level...but the OP is saying "Will he be remembered as a Bronco or a Colt?"  With that as the subject matter, I'm saying people need to just cool their jets.

No , but I think only a guy of his stature could even begin a discussion on a topic like this. Most quarterbacks when they get to this point are washed up, not this guy. It's incredible the stats he is putting up.

He is unstoppable and I think it's great to be happy for him

I doubt that you know how he perceives he was treated

I think it's enough to be happy for him and happy watching him without wishing for further drama

I agree with this. I believe that Irsay was nothing but professional when the split happened. I believe it was very * both of them, however, the split happened long before that day in March with the war of words that took place during the superbowl. That leads me to believe the split wasn't as "nice" as we would think. I think after everything Peyton accomplished he expected a different outcome in Indy, though he would NEVER admit it. I see Denver as his home now and judging by statements and articles I do not think it is as crystal clear as it used to be. Peyton is STILL breaking records and many are Denver franchise records. I think he has a wonderful relationship with Elway and will be held in very high regard there making it very dificult to decide. Whatever he chooses to do it will not be a direct insult to Colts or Broncos fans. Peyton will do what he feels is best for himself and both franchises. He is playing at such a high level now that it will be hard for anyone to forget his time in Denver and if he wins 1 or more superbowls I think it becomes even harder for the Colts to claim him after throwing him away for a "younger" model. It may have been the right decision and I would never argue that but along with hard decisions comes consequences. Him retiring as a Bronco might just be that consequence. I don't think anyone could have predicted that Peyton would be THIS good at this point in his career. It was a gamble for both organizations and we will see which one wins in the end. The Broncos will want him just as much as the Colts.

I think a lot of us (Peyton fans) thought Peyton would be this good. I know I did. I didn't know if the Broncos would be this good. Peyton's success has always been tied to his preparation, superior football iq, pre-snap recognition, and work ethic above anything. Sure it was going to be important that he still be able to throw the ball but I was pointing out in those Duke tapes that he had plenty of zip on the ball and was able to make all the NFL caliber throws. I'm sure there were a lot of people....and most importantly John Elway and the Broncos and the rest of those teams that were chasing him that knew Peyton was going to be an elite qb again. When your greatest asset is your brain, losing a little arm strength isn't a death sentence. I don't think he holds a single thing against the Colts fans...I know that press conference came from his heart...but I also know the same Peyton that said if you don't take me with the first pick I will beat you the next 15 years is still the same Peyton that will come in here Week 7 intent on just winning. I understand why we moved on...starting a fresh without the cap situation and all but I would always gamble on Peyton being great...he is going to win that more often than not. If he gets some help...I think they have as good as a shot as most teams to win it all...and thats all you can ask for...most teams to win it all aren't the best teams...just get hot at the right time....so if they avoid another crazy postseason voodoo then I think Peyton and Denver can win it all. 

Denver and Peyton have won anything yet...and very easily could never...but Peyton is certainly playing well enough to deserve the praise he is getting. No denying that he is playing as efficient and deadly as anyone ever has. All he can do is go out and play who is in front of him....and he is tearing them apart. How they fair against a stiffer competition...well they certainly stepped up against Baltimore when they were tested early...and I think they make adjustments needed against KC or whomever.

It is funny...it reminds me of Kurt Warner after leaving NY and rejuvinating his career in Arizona...he played brilliantly and quite possibly could have won that second SB.

Just imagine...what Peyton is doing is like if MJ would have went to the Wizards and then poured in 40pts a game and taking them to the playoffs.....that is kinda what were seeing.