Manning's Legacy shifting to Denver !

The Old Crow

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is unstoppable and I think it's great to be happy for him

I doubt that you know how he perceives he was treated

I think it's enough to be happy for him and happy watching him without wishing for further drama

I think it is a legitimate question, not so much drama , to speculate what his legacy will be if he can pull off a couple of more Super Bowl wins . This was being discussed even by the ESPN pre-game guys on how a Championship or two could make Peyton the greatest of all time. Just by winning this year would put him 12- 11 post season, and he would be a multiple Super Bowl winner. One or two more, with all the MVP's and the sky is the limit.

Thanks , but I'm already on that one !

Just be patient...a couple more years and his contract will be up for Denver and they will probably let him go....then he may be on your team and you will get to root for him too!  j/k   It would be too funny if Denver lets him go thinking he is washed up after his final year (SB or not) and he goes somewhere else to do this all over again! lol

Manning's legacy HAS shifted. He will always be remembered as a Colt, but......if he wins a few SB's in Denver, he'll belong to two fanbases. He is no longer ours.

So all he has to do is win 3 Super Bowls in Denver? That should be no problem....

Just be patient...a couple more years and his contract will be up for Denver and they will probably let him go....then he may be on your team and you will get to root for him too!  j/k   It would be too funny if Denver lets him go thinking he is washed up after his final year (SB or not) and he goes somewhere else to do this all over again! lol

I would love to see the guy in Baltimore . We would put up a statue for the guy even if he was only around for a year. Manning picks defenses as clean as you'd pick a steamed blue crab on the Fourth of July.

I think it is a legitimate question, not so much drama , to speculate what his legacy will be if he can pull off a couple of more Super Bowl wins . This was being discussed even by the ESPN pre-game guys on how a Championship or two could make Peyton the greatest of all time. Just by winning this year would put him 12- 11 post season, and he would be a multiple Super Bowl winner. One or two more, with all the MVP's and the sky is the limit.

ok

all of that is fine

just that you have a bit of a history as far as having an ax to grind

that made me wonder if that's why you started this thread

in particular when you mention how he perceives he was treated

because you have no way of know this

ok

all of that is fine

just that you have a bit of a history as far as having an ax to grind

that made me wonder if that's why you started this thread

in particular when you mention how he perceives he was treated

because you have no way of know this

No, it's something I have been thinking about , especially with the upcoming Colts-Broncos game that everyone, myself included , will be watching. It should be the game of the year, and I guarantee many of the topics brought up on this thread will undoubtedly be discussed. Obviously , I have no idea how Peyton feels about the Colts situation, but I know for most athletes it's a big deal when you go back to play your old team, especially under the unusual circumstances about how the end in indy played out. It is a continuing fascinating story.

No, it's something I have been thinking about , especially with the upcoming Colts-Broncos game that everyone, myself included , will be watching. It should be the game of the year, and I guarantee many of the topics brought up on this thread will undoubtedly be discussed. Obviously , I have no idea how Peyton feels about the Colts situation, but I know for most athletes it's a big deal when you go back to play your old team, especially under the unusual circumstances about how the end in indy played out. It is a continuing fascinating story.

oh sure

I expect much drama around that game

Honestly if Peyton wins two Super Bowls his tenure in Indy will most likely remembered as carrying a team that constantly let him down when he needed them. But that doesn't matter. Because always is a Colt, but just has a Bronco side.

It doesn't matter because Peyton loves all of his fans as much as we love him. His legacy doesn't belong to a team. His legacy belongs to him and his fans.

And no matter what Peyton will always be my favorite player, along with thousands of other people, and boy does it suck he didn't get to always be the QB of my Colts, but I haven't missed a moment of his legendary career. It doesn't matter if he was a Colt or a Bronco he has been, and always be my QB, and get to claim his career.

Can we wait until he actually wins something of importance before this is brought up? 4 wins in September does not equal multiple Super Bowl wins or dictate the ownership of his legacy. Good grief.

Humm, so throwing 7 TD in a game, throwing 16 and no INTs, beating teams by double digits, and on pace to break the all time single season passing and TD record, leading the league in QB rating, at the age of 37 means nothing... well, not all of us can live in your fun house. we prefer to enjoy the view in front of us rather than complaining and saying but.. but.. but.. you get the picture.

When I see threads like this it makes me ever more thankful that Kraft somehow convinced Brady to sign that ridiculous extension to keep him a Patriot. I would hate to see him in another uniform and hate it even more if the Pats had to play him. I am sure all of Peyton's success is bittersweet and the way things are shaping up it is not that unlikely that the Colts and Broncos meet up in the post-season ...

I don't think anyone (including Peyton)  knows at this point what will happen when he decides to retire.

Two things are Certain.

One ~ He will go into the HOF ~  that's a Given.

Two ~  Whether it's as a Colt or a Bronco,  who knows, but it's not going to be decided on a Forum Board.

That's the great thing about the NFL HOF you don't go in as one team or another.  They list all the teams you played for.  Manning's legacy in Indianapolis is secured.  Without question he's building one in Denver too. 

2 would do it. Even winning 1 in SB does not erase what he did with the Colts franchise. He has to make at least 2 SBs and win 1 to have a legacy on par.

I wasn't being serious. Just in case people forgot, it's difficult to win Super Bowls. This Denver team has yet to win a playoff game.

And personally, I don't care about which city he has more success in. Whatever he does in Denver won't take away from the enjoyment I had in watching him and the colts for a decade plus.

It doesn't matter how many Super Bowls Peyton wins in Denver people are still going to remember he was a Colt, even if it is to go well he won three Super Bowls but he had to leave Indianapolis and go to Denver to get the last two.  He's done too much in Indianapolis and set too many records and had to many "moments" for that part of his career to just be forgotten.  No matter how much some fans of other teams would like to see that just to try to get under the skin of Colts fans on a message board.  Is Peyton going to have a legacy as a Bronco too?  Sure.  He might even go into their Ring of Honor too but he's still going to get all those honors in Indianapolis when he's done playing too.  That's the one bright spot for a guy like Manning if you play for two teams you get twice the celebration of your career when you retire. 

Whatever Peyton goes on to do or not do he leaves behind a legacy of fans and support here in Indy. I mean he has all those childrens organizations and the hospital wing and there probably is more Peyton Manning Colt jersey's than there are Hoosiers so he will always be beloved...except maybe in a couple weeks or in the playoffs if we see them. I will barely be able to stand watching that game in a few weeks much less if we have to play him in the playoffs...I was hoping for quick success for him before we got good....then we literally jumped the shark last year and we grew up as a football team way way before I thought we would. I thought the rebuilding process would take 3 yrs before we would make the playoffs and by then I was hoping Manning would have had another ring and maybe on his way out.....guess I will just have to endure the pain....but nothing would be better than having either Colts or Broncos go to the SB.

There is only one reason to post this discussion on a Colts board....and end the thread title with an exclamation point. The OP can define it any way they choose, but the intent is crystal clear to me.

Had it been followed by a question mark, it would have been an opening to a discussion. Followed with an exclamation point says "this is how I feel". Stating this in this teams forum is a poorly disguised stab at Colt fans. Please save me the explanation because I will not be changing my mind.

There is only one reason to post this discussion on a Colts board....and end the thread title with an exclamation point. The OP can define it any way they choose, but the intent is crystal clear to me.

Had it been followed by a question mark, it would have been an opening to a discussion. Followed with an exclamation point says "this is how I feel". Stating this in this teams forum is a poorly disguised stab at Colt fans. Please save me the explanation because I will not be changing my mind.

I couldn't have said it any better than that, thanks for a clear observation. 

Guys, honestly you are reading too much into this with the question marks and exclamation points. This isn't the Beatles White Album where you are looking for clues that Paul is dead, or playing Revolution# 9 backwards. I think it's an interesting and timely topic with the Colts- Broncos game coming up, with Manning having thus far, a historic season. This is different than Unitas to the Chargers or Montana to the Chiefs, because those guys had seen better days. Manning on the other hand is at the top of his game, and the Broncos through four games are looking a bit like the 2007 Patriots, although I doubt they will go 16-0.