Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning's Legacy shifting to Denver !

The Old Crow

I would tell Irsay to keep that roof open as much as possible, as the Colts could be heading to New England or Denver eventually for the playoffs. You have to play games in freezing conditions to be ready for any road game in the playoffs .

The field has no drainage system. Any potential for precipitation and the roof has to be closed.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would tell Irsay to keep that roof open as much as possible, as the Colts could be heading to New England or Denver eventually for the playoffs. You have to play games in freezing conditions to be ready for any road game in the playoffs .

The Luck era is unproven in bad/cold weather. But, something tells me they could handle it. If you can run the ball and you RELY on the run (some teams will give up on the run in the playoffs don't kid yourselves) you have a shot....

I would love to go to NE/Denver in the playoffs and be in the feisty underdog role with all the pressure on the golden boy HOFers. I don't think we were ready last year and certainly not with Arians pass happy chuck it offense which resulted in too many turnovers.

Of course I would love to host ANYONE in the playoffs if we get back again right now but at the moment I would just take that AFC South title again with glee even if it was the 4th seed....

Well it's Jersey. And winter. I think this will be a bad winter though personally....

hmmm sounds like ideal conditions maybe for a feisty on the rise team from the AFC with a clutch second year QB, HOF receiver and power running game......

;)

I lived in the North East for years , so very familiar with that weather. Could be bad or could be mild .. you never know. I no doubt over stated but so did he. The Farmers Almanac is respected by many and I had read that they were predicting winter storms for that time period in the North East. So I wrote a "possible " blizzard. Did I over state that ? Probably ...but I didn't say "probable" and leave it to that condescending wise guy to take issue. 

Anyway , if you are saying that a bad weather game is more suited to A. Luck's talents than PM's , I totally agree. Luck throws a nice tight spiral , while Peyton's passes tend to float a bit at times.  I also happen to think that if the injury bug will hide it's ugly head , we have a chance to make it. 

I lived in the North East for years , so very familiar with that weather. Could be bad or could be mild .. you never know. I no doubt over stated but so did he. The Farmers Almanac is respected by many and I had read that they were predicting winter storms for that time period in the North East. So I wrote a "possible " blizzard. Did I over state that ? Probably ...but I didn't say "probable" and leave it to that condescending wise guy to take issue. 

Anyway , if you are saying that a bad weather game is more suited to A. Luck's talents than PM's , I totally agree. Luck throws a nice tight spiral , while Peyton's passes tend to float a bit at times.  I also happen to think that if the injury bug will hide it's ugly head , we have a chance to make it. 

And No Clady to stop the Maestro of the Pass Rush, Robert Nathan Mathis.

Lets do it! :applause:

If Peyton Manning lasts four more years and wins two Super Bowls in Denver , he may be well looked upon more as a Bronco, than a Colt. If he continues to follow up this historic season thus far, with a Super Bowl win , then gets one or two more, he will be remembered more for his greatest successes , if he succeeds in Denver. It would be like Frank Robinson who played many more years with the Cincinnati Reds, but is known more as Baltimore Oriole due to post season success and World Series wins. The way Manning probably perceives himself being treated at the end of his Indy tenure, I could see him going into the Bronco's Ring of Honor, if he finishes like Elway did .

not sure about that, he will always be a colt to me,

??? my friend do remember & loved Frank, where did he win the triple crown, Baltimore ?? or the big red machine 

Know was a MVP both leques, think triple in Balt , just not 100 % sure,, know won MVP too for Balt inworld series, he spent about a good 8-9 in Red uniform a good 5-6 in orioles as I am a dodger fan , know later was there as wll and few others, Hey thats when Orioles swept dodgers 4 straight, he hit 2 homers off drysdale

in never won a world series in cinncy, lost one, 

Manning reinvented the QB in Indy & won a lombardi, so think he will always be a col,t  to me ,   history books  so to say down the line who knows, I just dont see it no matter whatr

As usual, your observation is incorrect. Since I've been on this forum, I've only started probably two threads in 8 months. I've been very polite to fellow forum members in my responses to them, whether I agree or disagree. On the other hand, I have been unfairly called a" liar "by one poster when I brought factual court papers and newspaper articles that disputed a one sided blog he floats on this forum. I don't want to get into that, because this is not the place for it, but had I said that to another forum member, I probably would be rebuked. 

Others, such as yourself, and another poster, pile on when ever there is a topic or opposing opinion you disagree with, to paint me in an ill light. I'm sure that since I'm being forced to defend myself, I'll be painted as the mean axe-grinding opposing fan in the black hat. 

Sorry for bringing up a pertinent topic in the " NFL General " side of the forum, with the Colts-Broncos game coming up. I thought other fans were welcome here to post opinions, but I'm beginning to wonder. I've handled many anti-Ravens comments with good humor, and many times I agree with the poster criticizing the Ravens. I'm a Raven's fan, but not an out and out homer, where I can't be objective about the Ravens. I've heard many comments on Flacco's 120 million dollar salary, but I don't consider posters who bring that up as axe-grinders against the Ravens. They legitimately don't believe he's worth the money. 

I guarantee  if a Colt's fan brought this pertinent topic up, and trust me it will in another form as the game moves closer, you wouldn't have all these histronics. I was just trying to put out a topical and interesting thread, and I wasn't really paying attention to question marks or exclamation points, trust me. Maybe I should just have used a period. Anyway, I doubt that you will believe it anyway, but that's the way it is, and I tell it like it is, in a polite way. 

thought it was obvious u were a raven fan, sorry if u have been hassled, never seen crap thrown by u , well may here and there , but that was really ok stuff and limited, meaning I may have disagreed strongly , but not really crap ,  there are a few Pat  posters thats all that i find as really bad posters ( PLEASE  not all, and very limited #  Pat Posters do i consider here just for the sake of stiring up people  )

I guess the point of the thread is what would happen if he won two Super Bowls in Denver ? You know Denver fans, Elway, and Bowlen would want to honor him. I could easily see a Ring of Honor in Denver , and their fans seeing him as an all time Bronco.

there fans just may, Us Colt fans feel differently, not upset at this post at all, just disagree

Have a good afternoon

nobody can cover everybody. Lots of weapons

true, but its the way he sets them up & recognizes the Defense , ESPN on last game

• Manning has driven defensive coaches around the league 12 kinds of bonkers through the years. And the play, beyond all of the precision throws into tight places Sunday, that showed why came during the Broncos first possession of the second half. As the Broncos were busily working toward their fourth touchdown of the game, they faced a second-and-6 from the Eagles’ 7-yard line. And as he was working through his pre-snap reads, Manning simply pointed at Eagles cornerback Brandon Boykin, who was lined up in the slot directly across from Welker, and
  • Manning tells running back Knowshon Moreno “get him.’’
  •  
  • Boykin wasn’t leaning, wasn't looking in at the quarterback or doing anything else that made him appear to be a pass-rusher, yet Manning, looking at the Eagles’ alignment in that particular down and distance, still identified Boykin as the blitzer.
  •  
  • And sure enough at the snap Boykin rushed Manning on what was an incomplete pass to Eric Decker in the endzone. The Eagles were flagged for pass interference on the play.

• On Welker’s 6-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter, Manning beat another blitz out of the slot.

thought it was obvious u were a raven fan, sorry if u have been hassled, never seen crap thrown by u , well may here and there , but that was really ok stuff and limited, meaning I may have disagreed strongly , but not really crap ,  there are a few Pat  posters thats all that i find as really bad posters ( PLEASE  not all, and very limited #  Pat Posters do i consider here just for the sake of stiring up people  )

It's all good . I never mind when people disagree with my opinion. Like I've said , it's a fun forum , and I don't mind fair criticism.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz huh peyton is killing it in the regular season? yawn wake me up when something new happens

There are 2 ways to that statement. 18 is perfection in the regular season; 18 stumbles in the post season. An argument could be made that both statements are 100% correct.

First he has to actually win a playoff game in Denver. Don't think ahead too soon. People said same crap about Montana when he went to K.C.

Exactly, Peyton's got prove to me he can win in December. September means absolutely nothing. 

true, but its the way he sets them up & recognizes the Defense , ESPN on last game

• Manning has driven defensive coaches around the league 12 kinds of bonkers through the years. And the play, beyond all of the precision throws into tight places Sunday, that showed why came during the Broncos first possession of the second half. As the Broncos were busily working toward their fourth touchdown of the game, they faced a second-and-6 from the Eagles’ 7-yard line. And as he was working through his pre-snap reads, Manning simply pointed at Eagles cornerback Brandon Boykin, who was lined up in the slot directly across from Welker, and
  • Manning tells running back Knowshon Moreno “get him.’’
  •  
  • Boykin wasn’t leaning, wasn't looking in at the quarterback or doing anything else that made him appear to be a pass-rusher, yet Manning, looking at the Eagles’ alignment in that particular down and distance, still identified Boykin as the blitzer.
  •  
  • And sure enough at the snap Boykin rushed Manning on what was an incomplete pass to Eric Decker in the endzone. The Eagles were flagged for pass interference on the play.

• On Welker’s 6-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter, Manning beat another blitz out of the slot.

I liked watching that Broncos/Eagles game for 2 reasons: 1: The Broncos had a short week to prepare & still won the game & 2: It validated to me that Philly HC Chip Kelly should have remained at the University Of Oregon. The NFL chews people up & spits them out, especially with no coordinator experience in this league.  

The only 2 college to NFL coaches that I can recall in recent memory to make a successful transition into professional football are Jimmy Johnson & Barry Switzer & Barry just road the coattails of Jimmy's roster after Jerry Jones fired him in Dallas. 

I liked watching that Broncos/Eagles game for 2 reasons: 1: The Broncos had a short week to prepare & still won the game & 2: It validated to me that Philly HC Chip Kelly should have remained at the University Of Oregon. The NFL chews people up & spits them out, especially with no coordinator experience in this league.  

Its too soon to judge on Chip Kelly. He literally has zero of the pieces he needs to run his offense. I want that Chip Kelly ran Eagles system to succeed, but its going to take some rebuilding. The Eagles were essentially just a hodge podge chimarea of pieces that didn't really fit to begin with anyways, the only reason they had any success is because Andy Reid is a boss.

Besides, Peyton will get his in the regular season every single time. It's clockwork really, especially when the front office loads him up with receiver talent like Elway has. Honestly its not fair to any defense that takes the field to go against that all star team of receivers Manning is throwing to.

Its too soon to judge on Chip Kelly. He literally has zero of the pieces he needs to run his offense. I want that Chip Kelly ran Eagles system to succeed, but its going to take some rebuilding. The Eagles were essentially just a hodge podge chimarea of pieces that didn't really fit to begin with anyways, the only reason they had any success is because Andy Reid is a boss.

Besides, Peyton will get his in the regular season every single time. It's clockwork really, especially when the front office loads him up with receiver talent like Elway has. Honestly its not fair to any defense that takes the field to go against that all star team of receivers Manning is throwing to.--SkyBane
============================================================================================================================================================

For some reason, my quote feature isn't working.

Anyway, I don't think it's too early to start looking at Chip Kelly yet. If QB Michael Vick or RB LeSean McCoy goes down, do you seriously believe that Kelly's high tempo offense will operate smoothly? I don't. Do you honestly think Nick Foles or Matt Barkley could run it right now? Their D is solid with LB Trent Cole & safety Patrick Chung. The Chiefs crushed them under new HC Andy Reid & Chip Kelly has no sense of clock management or using the running game to wear down a defense & protect the lead at all IMO. Kelly will crash & burn.

Manning isn't the issue here. A non-stop high tempo offense is. Do you seriously believe opposing defenses won't slow it down? This league is all about the ability to adapt quickly. Trickery will demolish you. This league is all about intimidation, stealing your will, & stomping you on 3rd down. 

Not only that...Do you know how demoralizing it is to move the chains, get near the endzone, & have Vick throw a pick, fumble the ball, or kick a FG? Translation: I don't trust Michael Vick to seal the deal & finish drives. 

I think Peyton's career path is what Elway's would be like this had he been played for the colts. Play for the colts, turn them in to contenders, get injured, released and colts draft the younger promising QB, go to denver and finish his legacy there. Just a thought.

Also i think Peyton will retire a colt and become a QB coach here eventually. Be nice though, Peyton coaching the only QB who is probably smart enough and good enough to play at mannings level.

Besides, Peyton will get his in the regular season every single time. It's clockwork really, especially when the front office loads him up with receiver talent like Elway has. Honestly its not fair to any defense that takes the field to go against that all star team of receivers Manning is throwing to.--SkyBane
============================================================================================================================================================

For some reason, my quote feature isn't working.

Anyway, I don't think it's too early to start looking at Chip Kelly yet. If QB Michael Vick or RB LeSean McCoy goes down, do you seriously believe that Kelly's high tempo offense will operate smoothly? I don't. Do you honestly think Nick Foles or Matt Barkley could run it right now? Their D is solid with LB Trent Cole & safety Patrick Chung. The Chiefs crushed them under new HC Andy Reid & Chip Kelly has no sense of clock management or using the running game to wear down a defense & protect the lead at all IMO. Kelly will crash & burn.

Manning isn't the issue here. A non-stop high tempo offense is. Do you seriously believe opposing defenses won't slow it down? This league is all about the ability to adapt quickly. Trickery will demolish you. This league is all about intimidation, stealing your will, & stomping you on 3rd down. 

Not only that...Do you know how demoralizing it is to move the chains, get near the endzone, & have Vick throw a pick, fumble the ball, or kick a FG? Translation: I don't trust Michael Vick to seal the deal & finish drives. 

Thanks for spending all that time reiterating my point. He has no players that fit his system and the Eagle's roster is broken fundamentally from where it was previously just a bunch of pieces that got thrown together hoping it would make super bowl soup. Get an actual up tempo QB who can handle the quick passing game in there. Get him an actual O-Line. Actually put a RB on the roster. 

The Eagle's problem this year isnt Chip Kelly. It's having 0 players. If you want to fire Kelly after 1 year under those circumstances, you're delusional.

Thanks for spending all that time reiterating my point. He has no players that fit his system and the Eagle's roster is broken fundamentally from where it was previously just a bunch of pieces that got thrown together hoping it would make super bowl soup. Get an actual up tempo QB who can handle the quick passing game in there. Get him an actual O-Line. Actually put a RB on the roster. 

The Eagle's problem this year isnt Chip Kelly. It's having 0 players. If you want to fire Kelly after 1 year under those circumstances, you're delusional.

Did I say anything about firing Chip Kelly after 1 season? "Kelly will crash & burn." Sometimes, it's a slow burn not an instantaneous one.

"If you want to fire Kelly after 1 year under those circumstances, you're delusional." You act like Andy Reid took all the Eagles players with him or that they are on their last leg. Andy didn't. We aren't talking about the Jags here now are we?  And you call me "delusional."  haha LOL! 

Did I say anything about firing Chip Kelly after 1 season? "Kelly will crash & burn." Sometimes, it's a slow burn not an instantaneous one.

"If you want to fire Kelly after 1 year under those circumstances, you're delusional." You act like Andy Reid took all the Eagles players with him or that they are on their last leg. Andy didn't. We aren't talking about the Jags here now are we?  And you call me "delusional."  haha LOL! 

Most of those Eagles players were on their last legs and didn't have much left in the tank. You seem to forget that Andy Reid's last years there were marked by the Eagles signing every high profile free agent they could get their hands on in the hopes of buying a super bowl. The entire reason Andy was fired was an inability to win games with a roster that was supposed to be a veritable all-star team of proven veterans.

That Eagles roster has been, and continues to be awful. Its a bunch of older players who were thrown together to win now, and couldn't. If the Eagles are actually invested in the team, then this is just year one of a rebuild project, and this season is essentially an extended tryout for Chip Kelly's system. Don't be surprised when over the next couple years, the roster is blown up and the Eagles go whole hog on the fastest show on turf idea.

Which contrary to your statements, is actually the current trend in the NFL. Slowing the game down is considered something to be scoffed at as old-minded and behind the times. Everyone wants to be Denver and New Orleans, because those are the real winners, and the NFL is even changing the rules to reflect a more pass oriented league. Chip Kelly is just the natural extreme of this idea, and it should be embraced as a spectacle whether it succeeds or not.

Plus calling his failure 4 games in to the first year of a rebuild? Talk about jumping the gun.

Most of those Eagles players were on their last legs and didn't have much left in the tank. You seem to forget that Andy Reid's last years there were marked by the Eagles signing every high profile free agent they could get their hands on in the hopes of buying a super bowl. The entire reason Andy was fired was an inability to win games with a roster that was supposed to be a veritable all-star team of proven veterans.

That Eagles roster has been, and continues to be awful. Its a bunch of older players who were thrown together to win now, and couldn't. If the Eagles are actually invested in the team, then this is just year one of a rebuild project, and this season is essentially an extended tryout for Chip Kelly's system. Don't be surprised when over the next couple years, the roster is blown up and the Eagles go whole hog on the fastest show on turf idea.

Which contrary to your statements, is actually the current trend in the NFL. Slowing the game down is considered something to be scoffed at as old-minded and behind the times. Everyone wants to be Denver and New Orleans, because those are the real winners, and the NFL is even changing the rules to reflect a more pass oriented league. Chip Kelly is just the natural extreme of this idea, and it should be embraced as a spectacle whether it succeeds or not.

Plus calling his failure 4 games in to the first year of a rebuild? Talk about jumping the gun.

Call me Grandpa Jones then I guess. Go right ahead if that makes you feel better sir. It's no skin off my teeth. Defense wins Championships. Speed plays a role sure I won't deny that, but every post season Playoff drive requires a defensive stop. You could give Chip Kelly Denver's offensive line for all I care. He would still lose. Poor clock management. For the 1999 Rams "Best Show on Turf", give me the 1985 Bears or the 2000 Patriots Defense. People are enamored with speed when a stout defense is what secures leads. 

5 years from now if Chip Kelly has 5 NFC Championship Game & 1 SB appearances like his predecessor Andy Reid, SW1 will eat crow & admit that I was wrong. I won't be though, but if I am, I will admit it; you have my word.  

Call me Grandpa Jones then I guess. Go right ahead if that makes you feel better sir. It's no skin off my teeth. Defense wins Championships. Speed plays a role sure I won't deny that, but every post season Playoff drive requires a defensive stop. You could give Chip Kelly Denver's offensive line for all I care. He would still lose. Poor clock management. For the 1999 Rams "Best Show on Turf", give me the 1985 Bears or the 2000 Patriots Defense. People are enamored with speed when a stout defense is what secures leads. 

5 years from now if Chip Kelly has 5 NFC Championship Game & 1 SB appearances like his predecessor Andy Reid, SW1 will eat crow & admit that I was wrong. I won't be though, but if I am, I will admit it; you have my word.  

Im not saying he'll be a hall of famer or even match Andy's success. I'm just saying 4 games in the first year of a rebuild with the previous regimes roster is a little early to pass judgement on the entire future of his career.

That is what I believe he should do. If I were Peyton, I would never come back and let the Colts use his image or his presence in any way. He is a Bronco now and he is surpassing all he ever did in Indy. I said before the season started that Peyton was going to put up the best year in NFL QB history with the best core of receivers around him that he has every had. That was hooted down by Luck fans who said he was too old and would be retiring next year if he didn't get another neck injury and was forced to leave this year. Then people said that his present core of receivers couldn't compare to Harrison, Wayne, Stokely and Clark. I am talking about altogether at the same time. Clark was never a major factor until Stokely left the team. Wes Welker gives him the last piece to be the best four a QB ever threw to at the same time.

You don't think he held a grudge against all of those fans who held signs and chanted "Suck for Luck?" I do not see how he could not.

Well, I for one, am glad that you aren't Peyton.

And, frankly, I am amazed that you have so little respect for the man. 

I don't think Peyton would be so shallow as to let the actions of a few turn him into such a bitter man and keep him away from Indy.