Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis

coltsguy510

I don't feel like we've talked about him enough. I think he is a top 5 corner in the league right now. Today was the first time I've heard his name called consistently and it was all for making good plays. Every other game so far he has shut down his man. Also, his tackling for his position is elite!

Before today QBs had a passer rating of 158.3 when throwing at him. 

Many top corners have a similar stat in that regard, that is why it develops misconceptions.

The only reason QBs have such a high PR when throwing at him is because he is very rarely thrown at. QBs only throw at him when his man is definitely open.

I like our whole secondary however I'm not quite ready to be tooting horns just yet.  We really have not played any top notch passing attacks yet with credible WR corps.  I want to see what we do when we play the likes of Denver, heck even the Titans have some burners on there team even thought I'm not a big fan of the quarterback.  I didn't quite like how we fared against the Dolphins/Mike Wallace/Hartline.  I want to see us against some of the better passing teams, which we haven't had to do that yet.

Many top corners have a similar stat in that regard, that is why it develops misconceptions.

The only reason QBs have such a high PR when throwing at him is because he is very rarely thrown at. QBs only throw at him when his man is definitely open.

Which ones?

Sherman allowed a passer rating of 41 last year, Revis only allowed a 44 rating in between 2009-2012 and Tillman allowed a 77 last year.

Which ones?

Sherman allowed a passer rating of 41 last year, Revis only allowed a 44 rating in between 2009-2012 and Tillman allowed a 77 last year.

Didn't Asomugha have a similar stat in Oakland? A lot of that comes down to how they are asked to play, Peterson never allows anything over the top, if a receiver get a 2 yard reception on him, then that stat is misleading.

He is rarely thrown at, despite covering no.1 receivers. That should be testament to how good he is in coverage.

He has been great so far this season.

Which ones?

It can still be a very misleading stat....especially with a smAll sample size. If it's 3rd and 9 and the CB gives up 8 it's still a good play.

I don't feel like we've talked about him enough. I think he is a top 5 corner in the league right now. Today was the first time I've heard his name called consistently and it was all for making good plays. Every other game so far he has shut down his man. Also, his tackling for his position is elite!

Sorry,  but we haven't played enough good quarterbacks and enough good wide receivers to know if Davis is a top-5 corner right now.      He might be by the end of the year,  but it's too soon to know after just 4 games and mostly mediocre competition.

That said,  he's been playing great....    been a very, very good start for VD so far this year!       :thmup:

Didn't Asomugha have a similar stat in Oakland? A lot of that comes down to how they are asked to play, Peterson never allows anything over the top, if a receiver get a 2 yard reception on him, then that stat is misleading.

He is rarely thrown at, despite covering no.1 receivers. That should be testament to how good he is in coverage.

He has been great so far this season.

He's allowing 12.75 yards per reception with an 83% completion percentage.

He was thrown at 12 times in the first 3 games. Which is really low so you have a point here and his matchups have been Chris Givens, Megatron and Marques Colston.

His target numbers are much improved over last year, but he still get's beat sometimes. Evident by that fact he's given up 3 TDs. 

You do not know how dumb that sounded. And how much it contradicts itself.... If he is such a top corner and "no one separates from him", why would he be giving up such a high QB rating to opposing QBs? Wait...that's because when his man is DEFINITELY open...

You do not know how dumb that sounded. And how much it contradicts itself.... If he is such a top corner and "no one separates from him", why would he be giving up such a high QB rating to opposing QBs? Wait...that's because when his man is DEFINITELY open...

Thanks for the input.

The reason is that play design often negates great coverage, and defensive strategy (such as containment) often allows completions whilst not giving up the big plays.

He is awesome in coverage, though there is an argument he plays a little soft at times.

Purely based on matching his mans every move, there is none better, except Revis if he gets back to his best.

Top 5 CB's so far this season

1.Sherman

2.Revis

3.Tillman

4.Haden

5.Vontae

Peterson and Antonio Cromartie who were top 5 last year are getting beat alot this year, both are still good but not elite and Champ Bailey has  been hurt all year. Davis has played great all year we need to extend him during the season before his value goes up even more.

He's allowing 12.75 yards per reception with an 83% completion percentage.

He was thrown at 12 times in the first 3 games. Which is really low so you have a point here and his matchups have been Chris Givens, Megatron and Marques Colston.

His target numbers are much improved over last year, but he still get's beat sometimes. Evident by that fact he's given up 3 TDs. 

He had Megatron in single coverage most of the time vs. the Lions, which not many CBs would be able to do.

I agree he gives up plays, but no one sticks with their man better. 

I guess I'm confused as to how you support your argument.  If, before today, QBs have a perfect passer rating against him, he has no interceptions and 1 PD and 6 tackles through 3 games...how is that top 5?  The only good receiver he faced is Megatron.

He had Megatron in single coverage most of the time vs. the Lions, which not many CBs would be able to do.

I agree he gives up plays, but no one sticks with their man better. 

Sorry, before today he's been weak this year.  Make the argument all you want.  He's been weak.  And your argument, no matter how good yo uthink it is, is in the minority.  And I'm not saying anything about Vontae.  He's good .  But Peterson isn't top 5

I guess I'm confused as to how you support your argument.  If, before today, QBs have a perfect passer rating against him, he has no interceptions and 1 PD and 6 tackles through 3 games...how is that top 5?  The only good receiver he faced is Megatron.

Add that he has allowed 3 TD passes. He is solely going off of statistics from last year, which Peterson looked great in. His INTs I believe from last year was 7, but his play was definitely not elite.