Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis

coltsguy510

I guess I'm confused as to how you support your argument.  If, before today, QBs have a perfect passer rating against him, he has no interceptions and 1 PD and 6 tackles through 3 games...how is that top 5?  The only good receiver he faced is Megatron.

Because the best thing a corner can do, above PD, INTs and tackles, is keeping good enough coverage that a QB rarely throws in his direction, because his receiver has no seperation. Peterson does that better than any other CB in the league.

How is Marques not a good receiver?

Did you see Peterson yesterday? Why does it not count?

Add that he has allowed 3 TD passes. He is solely going off of statistics from last year, which Peterson looked great in. His INTs I believe from last year was 7, but his play was definitely not elite. 

No I'm not purely going off stats from last year. The problem is you're going purely of stats in general.

I think Davis is turning into quite the stud. He is great in coverage and an excellent tackler. 

Butler is also very impressive in the nickel. 

Toler needs to quit doing the crazy thing with his hands after receivers just drop it instead of him making the play on it.

It reminds me of Cassius Vaughn when he would give the incomplete signal like he did something special to break up the pass when all it did was bounce off his helmet when he wasn't looking for the ball. 

Bethea and Landry have played lights out so far. Hopefully Landry is back this week.....we will need his speed. Howell was impressive when he was playing as well. 

As a whole, or secondary is pretty solid.

Because the best thing a corner can do, above PD, INTs and tackles, is keeping good enough coverage that a QB rarely throws in his direction, because his receiver has no seperation. Peterson does that better than any other CB in the league.

How is Marques not a good receiver?

Did you see Peterson yesterday? Why does it not count?

If you're going to make that argument, you've got to put up the stats.  I can't find anything with "Cornerback Thrown At" stats or success rate, but per advancednflstats.com, Peterson hadn't rated higher than 19th among all CBs through the first 3 weeks. Until you provide somethign to the contrary, your argument is an ad hoc argument.  If I end up being wrong, I'll own up to it.  Got no problems with that.  But I'm not just going to take someone's word for it that QBs don't throw his way because his man is covered without any proof.

Vontae was against Blaine Gabbert

I was more impressed with how he handled Bolden when he did even though he came away with a pick yesterday, with that said he is developing really nicely as a #1 Corner who has ability to shut a top wr down, not quite there yet but easily the best Corner we have had playing in the last 15-20 years

I think Patrick Peterson right now is a better player than Vontae, he is more proven and obviously the stat that was listed above is an impressive one, no matter who the quarterback is, that being said, I think it is tough to argue that Vontae hasn't looked like on the best CB's in the NFL so far this year, it will be interesting to see him next week

Guest TeamLoloJones

Peterson physically is the most talented CB in the league, but he has a long way to go to reach the mental level of Sherman or even Revis.  I view Vontae the same way as I view PP.  They are both elite shutdown corners...two years from now.

I didn't say anything about Vontae.

Hey I was just saying how Peterson played this past Sunday, that's all, I like both of them...

As far as secondary play goes, like Pagano says "Catch the ones that come to you and you will be leading the league in ints" our secondary as a whole right now is doing just that

I was able to watch Rewind last night (didn't get to watch the game live due to where I live), and boy was Vontae ballin'.  I think that's the most I've heard his name mentioned this season.  I didn't think opposing QBs were really throwing his way, and yesterday proved why they weren't.  

And that stat posted by HtownColt, wow.  I know it's the Jags and all, but wow. 

If you're going to make that argument, you've got to put up the stats.  I can't find anything with "Cornerback Thrown At" stats or success rate, but per advancednflstats.com, Peterson hadn't rated higher than 19th among all CBs through the first 3 weeks. Until you provide somethign to the contrary, your argument is an ad hoc argument.  If I end up being wrong, I'll own up to it.  Got no problems with that.  But I'm not just going to take someone's word for it that QBs don't throw his way because his man is covered without any proof.

Dustin had already posted it above. He was only thrown at 12 times through the first three games. That is despite going up against team's number 1 receiver, including Calvin Johnson.

And why, may I ask, do you continue to refer purely to the first three weeks of the season, despite this thread being started after the fourth round of games? Because it suits your argument?

Watch Peterson's highlights from Sunday. Glennon was stupid enough to target the man he was covering 8 times despite him having no seperation. Yes, Glennon can sling the ball into tight spaces, but there was literally no seperation, it did not matter how good the throws were. He covers his man better than any corner in the league, can get more physical though.

No. I have seen him play and heard from various NFL people that he is not an elite COVER corner. Dynamic, but not elite. If I were to go off of his stats, I would think he's an elite top CB like you do, but he isn't.

Many experts (experts I respect) most certainly consider him an elite corner.

But you are entitled to your opinion.

Dustin had already posted it above. He was only thrown at 12 times through the first three games. That is despite going up against team's number 1 receiver, including Calvin Johnson.

And why, may I ask, do you continue to refer purely to the first three weeks of the season, despite this thread being started after the fourth round of games? Because it suits your argument?

Watch Peterson's highlights from Sunday. Glennon was stupid enough to target the man he was covering 8 times despite him having no seperation. Yes, Glennon can sling the ball into tight spaces, but there was literally no seperation, it did not matter how good the throws were. He covers his man better than any corner in the league, can get more physical though.

Because at the time, that's what we were talking about.  I haven't gone back and looked at it, but either you or someone else had commented on his performance through the first three games.  Just making my argument based on the parameters originally set.  He had a phenomenal game last week, but it was against a rookie QB. 

And look, I am not saying the guy is a bad CB.  He's a very good CB.  But like I said, the first 3 games weren't top 5 CB material.  It'll even out as the season goes along, i.e. his performance this past Sunday, and maybe he ends up top 5, maybe he doesn't.  Time will tell. 

I don't feel like we've talked about him enough. I think he is a top 5 corner in the league right now. Today was the first time I've heard his name called consistently and it was all for making good plays. Every other game so far he has shut down his man. Also, his tackling for his position is elite!

He is not a top 5 corner. He is a good corner, but nowhere near the top 5.