Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking news: Colts trade for Trent Richardson (((merge)))

NCost12

"So the God darn Colts throw there * season and get LUCK and Trent Richardson? # this %. I am done."

This was the best quote I had read while sifting through a couple of pages of that thread... haha

Found one better

Just picked up Mcgahee, Rainey and Hoyer in Fantasy.

#GoingDownWithThe****ingShip

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooooo.......if we have a first round pick.....many are unhappy with the pick......buuuuuuuttt, if we trade the pick it was going to be a stud. Right?

Got it.

Here is another one of my yearly reposts. PICKS are not linear! Pick 30 is not greater then pick 20. Pick 60 is not greater than pick 40. The success of players has WAYY more to do with the scheme, the coaching, and the players around them then the round they were perceived to go....or actually picked in. On the average 1-6 or 7 is one group....8 - 25 is another group.....and 26 through 45 is another. This changes each season, but the premise is the same. Most everyone thought that too much was given by Atlanta for Julio Jones. Not so much now. If TRich is solid, it was a good trade whether he was #3 or #23...2012 or 2014.

whats funny is the browns fans reactions.

*mod edit*

PoeticG on that link was hilarious man! "I'm so [expletive/mad] that I walked by my lamp, and the light blew out!  LIterally! #LightsOutMother[bleepers]...Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" LOL! 

"Where can I get a refund on tickets?" God, I do feel sorry for Cleveland fans though. Nothing to be happy about all.  

Art Modell moves the team to Baltimore, Bill Belichick wins 3 SuperBowls in NE, LeBron James left to win 2 NBA titles in Miami, the Ravens are 2 time Lombardi trophy champions, & the NFL HOF is in Cleveland too? When will the torture stop for Browns fans? Jesus, there needs to be a mercy rule here...It's like spraying a water hose at starving children that haven't had anything to drink for days. It's just cruel & inhumane on an epic level now...Sigh...

What do you give a fan base at the abyss of complete despair & disappointment? So used to failure that an entire state wears it like an old familiar suit in purgatory...Nothing improves anymore; time is just measured in degrees of losing as in the bottom literary falls out over & over again...Like stockholm syndrome with no end in sight. The punishment never subsides...All hope is lost like a Milton Poem...

Yeah I know, why SW1 doesn't write Hallmark Greeting cards I'll never know right?  haha I can sure cheer up the troops can I?  ;)

I fell asleep, and woke up to news of a trade. It is kind of shocking considering the teams past history with them (not many). If we get a steady back this move is going to be beificial to Andrew Luck, and the passing game because people will have to respect out running ability... with Richardson and Bradshaw.

I for one like it.

Except for a handful members complaining in many posts it seems to me the majority are not really that upset over it.  Many saying wish they had gotten more or he was never going to perform behind their Oline anyway ... good thing he came to a team with a much better Oline ... Oh wait ?!?!

Not to say that I take there posts as gospel but a few there weren't to happy with their O-line, specifically their OG's.

Were we still in the Polian era, where it was draft or nothing, I might be more concerned about giving up the pick, but considering Grigson's activity in free agency, I'm less concerned.  For argument's sake, say it's pick #20.  Given our recent picks in that range, I see no reason to fret over spending a similar pick on Richardson.  He would seem to be more of a sure thing than most of the recent picks in that range  Few people seem to have a problem with him as a player, only the loss of the pick, which seems misguided.  Improve your team in any way you can.  There's more than one way to build it. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/44422/311/fallout-richardson-is-a-colt

Last year he ranked 7th in Pro Football Focus' Elusive Rating. He caused 59 missed tackles on his touches and still had just 3.6 yards per carry. He was getting hit at the line. He also played through a rib cartilage injury at less than 100% and other nicks and bruises. This is all to say that Richardson is good and even after two sub-par statistical games with Cleveland this season, he still led all running backs in PFF's Elusive Rating. He's doing more work for those few yards than most backs do for 20.

Were we still in the Polian era, where it was draft or nothing, I might be more concerned about giving up the pick, but considering Grigson's activity in free agency, I'm less concerned.  For argument's sake, say it's pick #20.  Given our recent picks in that range, I see no reason to fret over spending a similar pick on Richardson.  He would seem to be more of a sure thing than most of the recent picks in that range  Few people seem to have a problem with him as a player, only the loss of the pick, which seems misguided.  Improve your team in any way you can.  There's more than one way to build it. 

Yes, building through free agency instead of the draft is the way to go just ask the Redskins or 2011 Eagles "Dream team".

We have only had one pick in that range since Grigson became GM: Bjoern Werner at #24 ... so we really can't conclude anything about how good our pick would be. We would be judging Grigson based on Polian's picks.

Yes, building through free agency instead of the draft is the way to go just ask the Redskins or 2011 Eagles "Dream team".

Yes, and only building through the draft brought us a balanced team under Polian.

That wasn't the point anyway.  The point is, like virtually every successful team of recent times, we're now doing both.   There's now more than one avenue in which this team will hopefully be improved. 

We have only had one pick in that range since Grigson became GM: Bjoern Werner at #24 ... so we really can't conclude anything about how good our pick would be. We would be judging Grigson based on Polian's picks.

So, if I'm reading this right, we don't trust Grigson to use the 20(for argument's sake) on Richardson... which was his choice.  That apparently was a poor choice.  We're critical of that.  We're critical of what he actually did with the pick.  Yet, we still give him the benefit of the doubt on how he might have used it on a MLB or T? 

He improved the team with the pick.  I'm fine with it.

Trent Richardson played most of last season with 3 broken ribs and still did great.

I really think he can be a major boost for the colts run game, and that he will do awesome things when 100% healthy. 

Especially when our O-line starts to play ball and figure out how to protect Luck and create opportunities for Trent.

Before this trade I had my doubts with the colts this season, due to injuries and a tough schedule, but with this trade, I think we can actually compete for a playoff birth.

Houston is still the team to beat in the AFC South, but with Trent as our RB, I think Luck will have more time in the pocket and that our running game will be much better.

Go Colts

Luck Trent Wayne = DHB is going to become much more productive = Lombardi Trophy :-)

Yes, and only building through the draft brought us a balanced team under Polian.

That wasn't the point anyway.  The point is, like virtually every successful team of recent times, we're now doing both.   There's now more than one avenue in which this team will hopefully be improved. 

So, if I'm reading this right, we don't trust Grigson to use the 20(for argument's sake) on Richardson... which was his choice.  That apparently was a poor choice.  We're critical of that.  We're critical of what he actually did with the pick.  Yet, we still give him the benefit of the doubt on how he might have used it on a MLB or T? 

He improved the team with the pick.  I'm fine with it.

I am not suggesting only bulding through the draft ... FA has its place ... but using it to fill in positions that could/should have been filled using 1st round draft picks is not what the "successful teams are doing". 

No, Grigson should not use the 20th pick in the 1st round (or any 1st round pick for that matter) on Richardson (or any other RB not named Adrian Peterson).  You are correct that "was his poor choice".  Using a 1st round pick on RB is a waste ... and yes spending the pick on a OL, DL, or Rush LB would have been a much smarter use of the pick.

Picking up a good RB on the cheap in FA is easier,cheaper, and more viable than OL, DL, OLB.  A team could conceivably pick up a decent/good plug and play RB every 1-2 years in FA until they hit on a late round RB in the draft and still be a good team ... not going to do the same thing with OL, DL, or Rush OLB (not for cheap anyway).

Great pick up. This guy is one yr out of being the 3rd over all pick in which looked to be a very deep and awesome draft last yr for talent wise. Having a back like that can change a lot of the offensive side of the ball. Maybe with the weapons we have on the outside in wayne, hilton, dhb can open some holes for Richardson. It adds a demension that we have been lacking since James and Faulk. Not saying he is either of them but can have teams worried that he can break one of at anytime. Plus think about it this urs draft most likely would go to a D player and if your not in the run for Clowney i think great trade. Richardson would still a top 10 pick in next yrs draft if was in it. I think we have the pieces in place but need to more aggressive in play calling espicially on d. Blitz more put pressure on the qb dont give them time to set up and pick us a part. I am one happpy Colts Fan. #coltsnation

Trent Richardson played most of last season with 3 broken ribs and still did great.

I really think he can be a major boost for the colts run game, and that he will do awesome things when 100% healthy. 

Especially when our O-line starts to play ball and figure out how to protect Luck and create opportunities for Trent.

Before this trade I had my doubts with the colts this season, due to injuries and a tough schedule, but with this trade, I think we can actually compete for a playoff birth.

Houston is still the team to beat in the AFC South, but with Trent as our RB, I think Luck will have more time in the pocket and that our running game will be much better.

Go Colts

Luck Trent Wayne = DHB is going to become much more productive = Lombardi Trophy :-)

You mean the OLine that lost its best interior lineman and is manned in the middle by Satele and McGlynn??? Yeah I won't hold my breath.

So adding a second RB who has similar talent to Bradshaw turned the season around in your mind? I can see that; Richardson totally changes the team ... makes the OL better, makes the pass rush better,  and negates the loss of Thomas and Allen.

You are right we are SB bound now.

Our run blocking has been ok so far. Now we pick up a potential star at the position for a mid to late round pick. Sounds fine to me, we should get a better return for this than we did from actual number 1 pick Donald Brown.

Donald Brown was gonna get Luck killed, and Bradshaw wasn't going to last the season as the feature back. Trich should be a big contributor for years. That's always worth a first round pick.

You mean the OLine that lost its best interior lineman and is manned in the middle by Satele and McGlynn??? Yeah I won't hold my breath.

So adding a second RB who has similar talent to Bradshaw turned the season around in your mind? I can see that; Richardson totally changes the team ... makes the OL better, makes the pass rush better, and negates the loss of Thomas and Allen.

You are right we are SB bound now.

That same O-line that's allowed our RB's to average 4.4 yards per carry. The o-line has been doing its job for the most, however its our QB who can't seem to get the ball out of his hands quicker, nor has he consistently been able to read and recognize the blitz and check out of plays, that he knows the O-line can't withstand. Yes, lets not blame our golden boy here for his faults, lets blame everyone and everything else.

If we can keep Richardson healthy, I think it will be a good trade. I just can't figure why Mr. Grigson went after a running back. We have Ahmad Bradshaw, Donald Brown, and Stanley Havili. To me, we have plenty of talent there. Plus, giving up our first round draft choice in next year's NFL Draft? With Richardson's performance in Cleveland, I wouldn't think he'd be worth more than a second round choice. From what I read on the ESPN website, Richardson turned out to not be a good fit for the Browns and that's why they traded him. Mr. Grigson has surprised me in the past with what he's done and he's been successful at them. I just hope he knows what he's doing with Trent Richardson. it's a big gamble.

Richardson's speed is fine. He was a year removed from knee surgery last year. The last thing I'm worried about with Richardson is his speed.

As for the last sentence, I don't want ANY running back for a #1.

Yes, we agree on this one completely. When I said he was not fast. i was talking about game changing speed like Lynch or Peterson:

It's not that Richardson can't be a productive back for the Colts. He's clearly their best option after starter Vick Ballard sustained a season-ending knee injury. It's just that Richardson isn't special. He averaged 3.6 yards per carry in his first season (granted, he didn't have much help) and he didn't have the explosive speed to be a game-breaker. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9691534/trent-richardson-game-changer

I think what is concerning about this deal is that the Colts have good RBs currently and Ballard will be back next year. To give a number one NOW is that part that does not make sense. I don't see the Colts contending this year which would be the only reason to do this deal if you felt the team was one stud RB away from making the SB. I would more expected this deal from the Broncos who could use a stud RB to make a legit run in the playoffs as defenses will take away/slow down Manning's passing attack.

I also agree about not giving a number one for any RB. But still there is a part of me that gets the fact that the OC wants to run more but I think the Colts could have accomplished that with the guys they have and even moreso next season when Ballard is back.

I am not suggesting only bulding through the draft ... FA has its place ... but using it to fill in positions that could/should have been filled using 1st round draft picks is not what the "successful teams are doing". 

No, Grigson should not use the 20th pick in the 1st round (or any 1st round pick for that matter) on Richardson (or any other RB not named Adrian Peterson).  You are correct that "was his poor choice".  Using a 1st round pick on RB is a waste ... and yes spending the pick on a OL, DL, or Rush LB would have been a much smarter use of the pick.

Picking up a good RB on the cheap in FA is easier,cheaper, and more viable than OL, DL, OLB.  A team could conceivably pick up a decent/good plug and play RB every 1-2 years in FA until they hit on a late round RB in the draft and still be a good team ... not going to do the same thing with OL, DL, or Rush OLB (not for cheap anyway).

Disagree, getting a OL, LB at #20 is more of a risk than a sure RB (Trent R.) at #20.

You do realize Richardson was the 3rd overall pick right?

Yes, we agree on this one completely. When I said he was not fast. i was talking about game changing speed like Lynch or Peterson:

It's not that Richardson can't be a productive back for the Colts. He's clearly their best option after starter Vick Ballard sustained a season-ending knee injury. It's just that Richardson isn't special. He averaged 3.6 yards per carry in his first season (granted, he didn't have much help) and he didn't have the explosive speed to be a game-breaker. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9691534/trent-richardson-game-changer

I think what is concerning about this deal is that the Colts have good RBs currently and Ballard will be back next year. To give a number one NOW is that part that does not make sense. I don't see the Colts contending this year which would be the only reason to do this deal if you felt the team was one stud RB away from making the SB. I would more expected this deal from the Broncos who could use a stud RB to make a legit run in the playoffs as defenses will take away/slow down Manning's passing attack.

I also agree about not giving a number one for any RB. But still there is a part of me that gets the fact that the OC wants to run more but I think the Colts could have accomplished that with the guys they have and even moreso next season when Ballard is back.

why wait till next season, NFL is now.

So this all happened in the early hours of the morning for me, missed about 10 pages of this thread. I also had to check this morning I hadn't dreamed the trade! After wading through the previous pages and had a bit of time to reflect my thoughts are:

• Like a lot I was a bit hmm about giving up a 1st, especially for a RB, but the perception of this will change depending on where we pick. Whether this is the correct perception or not comes down to you own draft philosophy. I agree with a number of people that a 1st rounder is no guarantee of hitting on the pick but it does increase your chance.
  • Somewhat linked to the above but if Richardson (TRich/Trent/TDog) performs well here then people will see it as a good value trade. The question then is where do we set the bar in terms of performance, 1000 yards? I don't expect us to have landed a Peterson, but a solid back say at a Charles/Forte level could really help push this O onto the next level. Time will tell and hindsight will be applied in all revisionist history of this trade :P.
  • People have pointed at his stats being underwhelming and I can see the point being made but I do think teams stacked the box to  him and I do think he's never been fully fit as yet. Also a change of coaching etc may work wonders, especially if he wasn't feeling loved in Cleveland. Add in actually having QB that teams have to respect and I think he can improve and also help Luck improve. Especially as he's not a bad pass blocker.
  • Though I don't think our O line is the finished article by any means they have looked good with the run game at least. 
  • With the Browns swallowing the bonus he's a pretty good cap value player IMO.

Overall it's a time will judge trade, if it comes off Grigson is a genius, if it doesn't and whoever the Browns take with our pick pays off it will be shoved in our face. As a fan I'm happy, I like Richardson as a player but taking the blue tinted glasses off I think it's a heck of a gamble. I still firmly believe too almost no RB is worth a 1st rounder in the modern game. 

Yea... I didn't think he broke ribs two years in a row . Furthermore usually a RB breaks ribs during a season and not training camp. Where do these guys crawl out from ?

If you read his training camp interviews he is really really hunger! He has a big chip on his shoulder and a lot to prove. He wants to be the best or amongst te best. That will only help him. Our oline night not be the greatest but I think he's going to shine.

The Colts continue their push to build a cold weather , bigger northeast style team that can win in the playoffs . Since 2000 , the Ravens , Steelers , Giants , and Patriots have won 9 Super Bowls. This has not been lost on Irsay, Grigson, and especially Pagano , who came from Baltimore.

This philosophical change from a dome team, to a northeast style team , is exemplified by the Richardson trade. This is the balance Irsay referred to.

As for the Browns , they will again follow the trend reaching for a read option quarterback like Johnny Manziel , and by the time they get him, that offensive fad will be over. That is why the Browns are the Browns.

Wow. There's a ton of "sky is falling" talk on this site. I can't believe you people don't realize how awesome this is. Nothing will help Andrew Luck more than a solid running game. Do you think Trent faced a bunch of 2 deep in Cleveland? I would bet opposing teams lined up 8-9 in the box because they knew he was the only threat. As far as being injured, all I know is the guy almost put up a thousand yards in his first season on a bad team. Just wait - this move is amazing and it's the one area we didn't fix this off-season. TR is 110x better than Vick, Bradshaw, Brown, Carter, etc... We were already a playoff team without him, now we could become an offense that you can't stop. Go Colts!!!

Wow....I haven't felt so many emotions over a Colts trade since Marshall Faulk. 

I was in shock for quite awhile, and didn't believe it. 

Then I was mad because I thought we needed O-Linemen, not a RB. 

Then I was sad for Donald Brown (only slightly lol) 

Now I'm happy because I thought....you know......Richardson and Bradshaw in the backfield.....that two headed monster is pretty fantastical. 

I've been watching his highlights on YouTube all last night like I did for Bradshaw when we signed him. Can't wait to see him in :coltslogo: Blue

He hasnt even arrived in Indianapolis yet & I'm this hyped! Press conference will be held when he arrives for those of you wondering. Pagano said so

Kind of surprised by the amount of negative feedback on the trade here. I do understand why giving up the 1st Round pick can be somewhat concerning, but like others have pointed out, it's not like a 1st Round pick is a guaranteed game changer. You only have to look at the Colt's recent draft history to see that.

Richardson is a game changer if he is with the right team. He managed to have a good rookie season playing on the BROWNS with an offense that had literally no weapons at all outside of himself. On an offense with Luck, Hilton, and Allen, that no longer will be the case. We are now a Super-Bowl caliber offense once we get Allen and Ballard back next year. I think we are still a year away from Super Bowl contenders-- but I do think this move makes the Colts likely to get a playoff spot again with a 9-7 or 10-6 record.

Nothing is set in stone, but I think this was a great trade despite RB not being a position of greatest "need." When you have the chance to get a player like Richardson, you take it. Glad Grigson didn't hesitate.

Wow. There's a ton of "sky is falling" talk on this site. I can't believe you people don't realize how awesome this is. Nothing will help Andrew Luck more than a solid running game. Do you think Trent faced a bunch of 2 deep in Cleveland? I would bet opposing teams lined up 8-9 in the box because they knew he was the only threat. As far as being injured, all I know is the guy almost put up a thousand yards in his first season on a bad team. Just wait - this move is amazing and it's the one area we didn't fix this off-season. TR is 110x better than Vick, Bradshaw, Brown, Carter, etc... We were already a playoff team without him, now we could become an offense that you can't stop. Go Colts!!!

And nothing will help create a solid running game more than a strong O-line......Oops