Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

To All the People Overreacting...

Andy

With the way we played against the Raiders, we didn't deserve to win. No, I'm not overreacting. Pryor folded in the end, or they would've won.

Our LB play was abysmal, as well as our O-Line. I hope Castanzo was just playing hurt, because he didn't look very good. 

Can we telegraph the run anymore than we do now? 

I'm not going to say he's a bust, but Fleener is not as good as everyone keeps saying he is. At least not yet. 

I guess I don't understand why we didn't prepare better for Pryor because everybody knew what he was going to do. 

I did like the running game from Ballard. 

I would've liked to see Havili come out of the run formation for a few passes. 

Why was Hilton not used alot more?? 

I agree with almost everything here Lolly!  Freeman was the best LB yesterday with 10 tackles.  Mathis got 'skilled' no less than 6 times on Pryor runs and Werner 4 or 5.  Walden only had 3 tackles, and was beaten once badly for not setting the edge.  He played contain well other than a couple of plays.  I would like to see him more aggressive however.  Sheppard....URRGH!

Castanzo was not moving well at all....knee and rust....what was McGlynn's excuse?  I was going to give him some credit when it was 14-0...glad I did not.  I vastly dislike eating crow.  :funny:

FireJimCaldwell, one of the most knowledgeable football guys I know frequently mentioned Bruce Arians and his offense being so 'predictable.'  Pep set the offense up for 'bringing the house' blitzes with his predictability..  I know we were not showing Oakland our playbook, but as Dustin says...7 positions.Still a little more diversity...and TE throws...and maybe Havilli?

The offense was on a roll with Ballard.  I would have liked to have seen him get spelled by Brown if needed.  The offense was stale with Bradshaw in.  Obviously he is not close to 100%....DB could have shown some speed out there...like he did on Special Teams. :thmup:

I am with you on Hilton....and again...7 possessions....I loved when DHB got hit twice and showed some great Colts enthusiasm!!!  

No matter what all of the bickering is about, we will not be firing anybody anytime soon, yet the defense was very 'tame.'  Our blitzes were not disguised in the least and the LBs did not come hard.  We KNEW Pryor was running and did NOT contain....a cardinal sin.  No matter what we say a W is indeed a W....we are 1-0 and tied with the Titans for 1st in the AFC South.

I love the Indianapolis Colts.  Do you?   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:  :pass: !!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anytime you can pull off taking a 4th quarter lead and then winning with your defense making the stop, tha'ts ALWAYS a good thing.  It wasn't always pretty, no doubt.  But an ugly win is still a win.  And I'll be honest, I don't think there was a single Colt fan surprised by Pryor, including Colts brass.  They were begging Pryor to beat them with his arm, and he did by extending plays.  That's very difficult to defend.  Raiders may not be as bad as everyone is making them out to be.

Good point as well as Lollygaggers ,we didn't have it enough because the Linebackers miserably failed the job at hand.I really didn't think they were prepared for that.My opinion is if a QB is gonna run that much make him pay dearly when you hit him !

Ya gotta hit em......Redding got him hard a couple of times early.....They had some problems when they actually went to the pistol formation...his runs came with one back sets more often than not....

Did anyone else want to play LB....stat home and contain...and knock Pryor into next week?  :)   :rawr:

Lots of folks confuse being critical about the state of play with being negative. Most of the time players and coaches (and everyone else) try to fulfill expectations, and if those expectations are high, well, so much the better.There was this one coach that wrote a book on negativity. http://www.amazon.com/The-Power-Negative-Thinking-Unconventional/dp/054402771XMaybe you remember him?

Yes, I remember him.....he's a colossal *.

A football season hones a teams craft and style of play, give it some time follks! I remeber barely beating the Browns with the great Peyton Manning in his prime, 9-6 in the 2003 season opener. The Colts are young, they will get better as the season progresses. Many of our more seasoned fans understand this, many youngsters need to take a pill.

Anytime you can pull off taking a 4th quarter lead and then winning with your defense making the stop, tha'ts ALWAYS a good thing.  It wasn't always pretty, no doubt.  But an ugly win is still a win.  And I'll be honest, I don't think there was a single Colt fan surprised by Pryor, including Colts brass.  They were begging Pryor to beat them with his arm, and he did by extending plays.  That's very difficult to defend.  Raiders may not be as bad as everyone is making them out to be.

That is the ultimate question, are the Raiders better than people expected or did we just play poorly and let them get back into this game?  That remains to be seen. 

The good for this game, was definitely the interception at the end and before that, the offenses last drive ended with Luck running one in for a TD.  Much like last season, an ugly win, but still a game that easily could have and possibly should have been lost. 

The team looked solid in the first half, but once Pryor started figuring things out in the second half, he gave our defense fits.  Hopefully, this defense learns from this performance as we will need to be much better against other capable running QBs in Capernick and Wilson.  Not to mention better teams.  

My biggest problem with the performance was the abysmal protection for Luck mainly in the third quarter.  Thankfully Luck had the physical tools to survive the onslaught in the third quarter and even make some plays.  But I think we can all agree, he is best with a little bit of time and making a series of shorter passes rather than going for the endzone or scrambling for his life.   This bothered me more than our struggles against the option, because it's a problem that has continued for several seasons and doesn't appear to be getting better.   Maybe they just lost their concentration or came in overconfident after the half, but it's not something this team can afford over the course of the season.

That is the ultimate question, are the Raiders better than people expected or did we just play poorly and let them get back into this game?  That remains to be seen. 

The good for this game, was definitely the interception at the end and before that, the offenses last drive ended with Luck running one in for a TD.  Much like last season, an ugly win, but still a game that easily could have and possibly should have been lost. 

The team looked solid in the first half, but once Pryor started figuring things out in the second half, he gave our defense fits.  Hopefully, this defense learns from this performance as we will need to be much better against other capable running QBs in Capernick and Wilson.  Not to mention better teams.  

My biggest problem with the performance was the abysmal protection for Luck mainly in the third quarter.  Thankfully Luck had the physical tools to survive the onslaught in the third quarter and even make some plays.  But I think we can all agree, he is best with a little bit of time and making a series of shorter passes rather than going for the endzone or scrambling for his life.   This bothered me more than our struggles against the option, because it's a problem that has continued for several seasons and doesn't appear to be getting better.   Maybe they just lost their concentration or came in overconfident after the half, but it's not something this team can afford over the course of the season.

I agree on the OL bit.  Some good, some bad.  I still reserve judgment on this OL unit, because it's going to take time to really see how they develop as a group.  But the bottom line is, 8 hits on the QB, including 4 sacks, just isn't getting the job done. 

As far as "the ultimate question,"  yeah it's going to take some time.  I honestly think that the Raiders might surprise this year.  I don't think that our defense, in particular, our pass coverage, is as bad as the box score indicates.  We did some very good things, Pryor was just very elusive in the backfield.  When he did stay in the pocket, it was those short dink and dunk passes that are virtually impossible to defend.  I can't tell you how many times he'd throw that annoying slant 5 yards down field toward the ground where the only possible person who could reach it was the WR.  My favorite quote after the game was from Mathis.  He said, "Use all your bullets, throw the gun, throw the belt holder, too.  That’s what we did.”  You know those guys were exhausted late in the game.

I agree on the OL bit.  Some good, some bad.  I still reserve judgment on this OL unit, because it's going to take time to really see how they develop as a group.  But the bottom line is, 8 hits on the QB, including 4 sacks, just isn't getting the job done. 

As far as "the ultimate question,"  yeah it's going to take some time.  I honestly think that the Raiders might surprise this year.  I don't think that our defense, in particular, our pass coverage, is as bad as the box score indicates.  We did some very good things, Pryor was just very elusive in the backfield.  When he did stay in the pocket, it was those short dink and dunk passes that are virtually impossible to defend.  I can't tell you how many times he'd throw that annoying slant 5 yards down field toward the ground where the only possible person who could reach it was the WR.  My favorite quote after the game was from Mathis.  He said, "Use all your bullets, throw the gun, throw the belt holder, too.  That’s what we did.”  You know those guys were exhausted late in the game.

Personally, I am not too disappointed in the defense, it's a little worrisome against running QBs, but not even close to panic mode.  The defense is much bigger than the Dungy days, so obviously they will lose some speed.  Against traditional offenses, I actually think our defense could be quite good.  On positive notes, they looked good against the run, I don't see RBs going up the middle on this defense and the secondary made big plays. I see the secondary being much better this season.    It will be interesting to see how they gameplan against the next running QB in Colin Kapernick (granted he relies less on the run than Pryor).   

Line backing D- no containment ,pass protection c- other than Ballard I give him a B PLUS, OL on run blocking B,on pass protection C- RBs Ballard A ran the ball well,Bradshaw C 1 nice run almost cost game on 4th and 1,recieving Solid B across the board.Secondary B interceptions great but again a couple blown coverages almost cost us.DL A against stopping McFadden ,c- on pass rush.Bottum line is overall we really got to clean things up,but it was a win,oh almost forgot Special Teams B

Ballard was solid, and was taken out when doing very well.  I thought that helped break our momentum.  I saw Reggie got an A+ in the national and DHB got a B-.....What the ______? (insert word at your own discretion)  Both Wayne and DHB blocked extremely well down field.  Fleener actually was 'wussy' timid in his blocking.  He was definitely shying away from contact....wondering aloud if he is 100%  I am worrying about him now to some extent.   :groan:

I was happy overall with the secondary.  We saw Landry and Bethea play well.  Davis was solid other than 1 or two missed coverage assignments...Butler came in and was just fine...could have played a little better.

The biggest blown coverage was the TE that was wide open.....that was a Linebacker responsibility....Freeman or.....URRGH Mathis? (Am I the ONLY one not afraid to say something negative about Mathis? :))  Bethea tried to direct traffic...... :wtg:

Franklin was solid...but nobody...I mean nobody moved Josh Chapman  :thmup:

On to practice gentlemen....Defense was tired....a week without pads (other than 1 day) will be good for them...watch film...fi mistakes....Dolphins next week at LOS!!!!   :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb: !!!!!

Personally, I am not too disappointed in the defense, it's a little worrisome against running QBs, but not even close to panic mode.  The defense is much bigger than the Dungy days, so obviously they will lose some speed.  Against traditional offenses, I actually think our defense could be quite good.  On positive notes, they looked good against the run, I don't see RBs going up the middle on this defense and the secondary made big plays. I see the secondary being much better this season.    It will be interesting to see how they gameplan against the next running QB in Colin Kapernick (granted he relies less on the run than Pryor).   

I am excited for that game too.  Kaep is going to be very good.  Yeah, they utilize the read option, but in watching that game yesterday afternoon, he is also very capable of beating you with his arm.  A very dangerous team.  We're the underdog, but we are certainly capable of beating that team.  If the O/U is 48, I'm taking the over.

I honestly did not like the 40-37 Dungy games where a HOF QB had to bring us back too....kind of like our number 12.  

OK...not thrilled with 21-17 either :)

I honestly did not like the 40-37 Dungy games where a HOF QB had to bring us back too....kind of like our number 12.  

OK...not thrilled with 21-17 either :)

It shouldn't have been a close game in all honesty,we have a lot to clean up and shore up this week.I do believe it gets done! 

It shouldn't have been a close game in all honesty,we have a lot to clean up and shore up this week.I do believe it gets done! 

You get up 14-0 and go for the kill.  I sure hope we did not rest back on our 'haunches.'  I really think the crowd thought it was going to be a blowout as well....and just sat back....60 minutes of football.....

Just continue to work in all 3 phases....we should be just fine.  Sometime you just have to scratch and claw...other times it is just LUCK :)

Well I can agree with with that since if you take away the raider QB's 112 yards on the ground then the raiders only got 59 yards. but will see what happens next week hopefully its better and one more thing has there been any update on the Condition of Allen since I heard he got hurt again.

I did not look for a thread, but the radio team and Colts fans thought that it was the same foot he hurt in the preseason (me included)

It was a hip which the replay indicated.  Allen said he is fine and he will be back next week.  Here's to the hope the doctors and an MRI concur with him. :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

People are not overreacting. Sure, a win is a win, but the goal is to win a Superbowl, and become more progressively dangerous to other teams in the pursuit of that goal. Seems that the Colts are as mediocre as they were last year without any signs of real progress. That is something to be concerned about. Can't expect to win 9 close games like last year to make the playoffs. Even though making the playoffs last year...the team had no shot to win the Superbowl. This year expectations, if last year wasn't a fluke, is to be Superbowl contenders. Frankly, I was surprised to see the Colts win so many games last year. Teams frequently regress with tougher schedules in the next year. Look at the Chicago Bears recent history.

I saw a defense that was very pourous against a weak offense. I saw really bad, conservative playcalling once the Colts got up 2 touchdowns, same as last year. Running game was nonexistent. What was Brown doing playing special teams. Maybe the coaches should trust Luck, and put the foot down and kill these teams. The team is going to have to learn how to win that way anyways

I got that. I just think its surprising like I said. That you would pull all of that out of a season opening win.

We lost to the Jags last year. That loss didn't prevent us from beating Greenbay or the Texans. And we looked much worse in that game last year than we did yesterday.

To be clear, I think we're a way better team than the 2nd and 3rd QTR's yesterday. If the Colts can represent themselves to their potential, we WILL win a playoff game this year. If not, if the protection is going to be woeful, we could lose 10 games easy like that. 

Luck is something special. Somehow, he gets it done is spite of all the issues surrounding him. 

People are not overreacting. Sure, a win is a win, but the goal is to win a Superbowl, and become more progressively dangerous to other teams in the pursuit of that goal. Seems that the Colts are as mediocre as they were last year without any signs of real progress. That is something to be concerned about. Can't expect to win 9 close games like last year to make the playoffs. Even though making the playoffs last year...the team had no shot to win the Superbowl. This year expectations, if last year wasn't a fluke, is to be Superbowl contenders. Frankly, I was surprised to see the Colts win so many games last year. Teams frequently regress with tougher schedules in the next year. Look at the Chicago Bears recent history.

I saw a defense that was very pourous against a weak offense. I saw really bad, conservative playcalling once the Colts got up 2 touchdowns, same as last year. Running game was nonexistent. What was Brown doing playing special teams. Maybe the coaches should trust Luck, and put the foot down and kill these teams. The team is going to have to learn how to win that way anyways

How many new players did we have? How many times have they played a real game together? Give me a break. Come on and whinge like a baby when we are 2-6, but until then.......... 

A sloppy win, to say the least... stranger things have happened in week 1...

As far as the new faces, I was encouraged by the play of DHB (especially the late block).. Landry looked as good as advertised. RJF was a bright spot on the line. Toler was up and down, but more up (from my perspective).

Sheppard looked lost whenever Pryor kept it, so did Werner. Werner gets a rookie pass for it being his first game.

There is a lot to clean up, but at least the offense finally scored again late to take the lead and the defense made a play when they needed it... it did feel as though the Raiders would inevitably score on that last drive.. they were moving the ball like nobody's business until Bethea sealed it with the int.

BTW: my 1000th post came and went without me noticing, so I'll celebrate my obvious abundance of free time here... on post 1,002.

:cheer2::applause: :clap: :rock: :disco: :headspin: :36dancing: :yahoo::Wooo::jump::excited::hat:  :cheers:

Most teams out there looked rusty their first game. Blame it on the cba and lack of practicing and what not. They will all get better as the season goes on.

How would  you like to be a Steeler fan....down 16-2 for almost an entire game......Yesterday's win smells a little sweeter today to me!!  :)

As far as the new faces, I was encouraged by the play of DHB (especially the late block).. Landry looked as good as advertised. RJF was a bright spot on the line. Toler was up and down, but more up (from my perspective).

Sheppard looked lost whenever Pryor kept it, so did Werner. Werner gets a rookie pass for it being his first game.

There is a lot to clean up, but at least the offense finally scored again late to take the lead and the defense made a play when they needed it... it did feel as though the Raiders would inevitably score on that last drive.. they were moving the ball like nobody's business until Bethea sealed it with the int.

BTW: my 1000th post came and went without me noticing, so I'll celebrate my obvious abundance of free time here... on post 1,002.

:cheer2::applause: :clap: :rock: :disco: :headspin: :36dancing: :yahoo::Wooo::jump::excited::hat:  :cheers:

Happy 1,000th post Carlos!  :)

Happy 1,000th post !!!  I got my 1,000th yesterday :)

I did not look for a thread, but the radio team and Colts fans thought that it was the same foot he hurt in the preseason (me included)

It was a hip which the replay indicated.  Allen said he is fine and he will be back next week.  Here's to the hope the doctors and an MRI concur with him. :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Yes we need him

To address all those that are "overreacting", it would be prudent to consider the audience. My guess is those who take the opportunity to complain on boards like these, after a performance by their team that does not meet up to that posters expectations, are not overreacting...they are experiencing what they came here for....which is far different than what others came here for. Thus, the friction.

I watched a couple in a fast food restaurant two days ago. By my definition, they would have been considered low class. They spoke loudly, used abrasive language, and interacted in a personal manner that would usually be reserved for private space. At one point I almost got up and confronted them. But then I realized that the brashness and challenge that would ensue would fit right into their life experience....not mine. So I left.

I have this post once a year, and the audience that appreciates it probably gets smaller and smaller. The average fan type is changing and it is not a cyclical thing, it is permanent. Fantasy leagues, single player marketing, and forums have given birth to the entitled fan. They are righteous, needed by each team to survive, self appointed purveyors of knowledge, and here is the rub that gets missed.....they get a certain satisfaction from complaining. They will look for the smallest of things to diss, just for the opportunity to get that drug...the forum complaint. It's kind of a high that diminishes the self perceived pain that they are experiencing from having watched their team.....their team that they pay darn good money for...not execute up to their expectations. Proof is in the very fact that complaints now can outnumber the support after a win. After a win!

But, as all things, my opinion is just that....my opinion. I could try to tell these fans that they are unaware of the joy they have given up, in exchange for the high they get from this negative posting, but it would just provide another opportunity to get that high again, by dissing this concept. And who am I to tell them how to live their experience?

The words above are not meant to display any persons fans experience over another, as if one had more merit. I am merely describing what it feels like to me as the interaction between fans changes over time. Just as those who quote "overreact", as noted in the thread title, I am thankful beyond words that I have hung onto the notion that a team is to be followed, supported, and be the object of my faith every draft, every game, every play. When that ceases to feel right with me, I will simply not follow that team. If a team bothers me enough to break that bond, I won't be here talking about it....my time is too important personally to waste it moaning here. A good example would be the different paths that a friend of mine and I have taken regarding the Portland Trailblazers. I was a serious, watch every game, follow that news(pre internet), pound on the floor before every free throw type of fan. After 12 years of arrests, fights, community embarrassments, and losses, I quit. Haven't looked back. My friend still to this day, gets on forums and complains about them....like they deserve to be dissed for how they disappointed him. That looks to work for him....cuz he gets that drug from it. I see it as a tragic waste of ones life. To each his or her own.

Forums are open discussions of everyone's view that chooses to participate. I am not indicating right or wrong, I am noting that the overall interaction on these types of boards, is changing.

Like Warhorse said, things are changing here just like every time another fan board I was on closed and I had to find a new one.  The tone here was different from the others, just like it didn't have a "comfortable feel" like the old ones, but they closed and I landed here and now I start to see familiar avatars and names.

I understand some want to show their knowledge and savvy but it is also clear that some just post to get their numbers up, I tend to scroll past them but for the most part the folks here are like me as a fan, savvy enough but don't spend hours memorizing stats.  I plan on continuing to come here regularly to hear what is on our minds this week or just to get the pulse of what my favorite team is up to  Let it change but don't let it go crazy, it's starting to feel....comfortable.

I said multiple times in my posts there is no question there were mistakes.  I even gave a post where I laid out what I thought were concerns from today's game.  With that said, we won the game that's what counts, it's not the first time I've seen the Colts win ugly with Luck, or win ugly week one, or win ugly vs. the Raiders.  I've seen far better Colts teams win uglier games against the Raiders. 

Also just for the record telling me to keep writing chapters in my novel of homer is name calling.  It has nothing to do with the point. 

Do you really take offense to being called a homer?? 

Edited by Nadine

Ballard was solid, and was taken out when doing very well.  I thought that helped break our momentum.  I saw Reggie got an A+ in the national and DHB got a B-.....What the ______? (insert word at your own discretion)  Both Wayne and DHB blocked extremely well down field.  Fleener actually was 'wussy' timid in his blocking.  He was definitely shying away from contact....wondering aloud if he is 100%  I am worrying about him now to some extent.   :groan:

I was happy overall with the secondary.  We saw Landry and Bethea play well.  Davis was solid other than 1 or two missed coverage assignments...Butler came in and was just fine...could have played a little better.

The biggest blown coverage was the TE that was wide open.....that was a Linebacker responsibility....Freeman or.....URRGH Mathis? (Am I the ONLY one not afraid to say something negative about Mathis? :))  Bethea tried to direct traffic...... :wtg:

Franklin was solid...but nobody...I mean nobody moved Josh Chapman  :thmup:

On to practice gentlemen....Defense was tired....a week without pads (other than 1 day) will be good for them...watch film...fi mistakes....Dolphins next week at LOS!!!!   :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb: !!!!!

This looks like a cartoon strip.