Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super Bowl Champs

unitaswestand

I think the Colts can win the Super Bowl this year.   For a couple of reasons:

1) Since we don't have a lot of players who eat up most of the cap, we are able to have more mid level players at all positions.  If you look at our squad, I don't think there is a position you can say "Yeah, we are really bad there".  We are solid at every position.  In some areas, very good. This might not seem like much, but in this day and age of free agency, almost every team has some weakness. Especially teams who get top heavy.  The last few years of the Manning Colts, we had 8 really good players, and then a bunch of guys to fill out the roster.   That becomes more of the norm.

2) Given, we had an easy schedule last year and got some breaks in games.  However, we were a very flawed team last year and still won 11 games.  With the talent brought in for free agency, from the draft, and players who are healthy like Chapman and hopefully Angerer, the talent has been taken up a few notches I believe.

3) Pagano is a players coach and inspires people to follow him.   This is a guy who will make an impression on players 15 years ago who still talk about him.   He has a great blend of fire and compassion,while having a wealth of football knowledge.  He is the perfect coach for this team and will lead them to great things.  And I think Pep Hamilton's offense will make a HUGE difference to Red Zone scoring and offensive efficiency.

4) Andrew Luck's is a special talent.   Not saying anything new here.  But he showed last year he comes alive when the game is on the line.  And it is not often you get a QB who can run like he can as well as being a good pocket passing QB who can read defenses and go through progressions so quickly.

I think the Colts are going to shock the league this year.  I am predicting right now that we win the Super Bowl next year.  Having been a fan for 35 years, I see something special about these team and its leaders.

Note:  I know the forum Nazi's will come in and say "I would like to see {fill in blank} play a little before predicting...".  Yeah, got that.  But the whole point of the forum is to talk about the Colts and speculate.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well sure they *can*.

But will they? I would say no they won't. I think some things would need to happen such as us the Texans losing Foster/Schaub and not having their depth work out so we win the division and somehow get a bye in the first round; and then in the playoffs we would have to get fortunate and slip by people even at home.

I just want another playoff appearance and win. This is not our year to win a super bowl, it's really not. But we are getting close to the year when people will say it's our year.

I do think we are one of those few teams that can show up on any given sunday and beat anyone if they aren't careful. Anyone. Elite offenses, defense, anyone. That's a good thing bc there are only 2 or 3 or 4 teams in the entire league who can do that who aren't juggernauts.

Well sure they *can*.

But will they? I would say no they won't. I think some things would need to happen such as us the Texans losing Foster/Schaub and not having their depth work out so we win the division and somehow get a bye in the first round; and then in the playoffs we would have to get fortunate and slip by people even at home.

I just want another playoff appearance and win. This is not our year to win a super bowl, it's really not. But we are getting close to the year when people will say it's our year.

I do think we are one of those few teams that can show up on any given sunday and beat anyone if they aren't careful. Anyone. Elite offenses, defense, anyone. That's a good thing bc there are only 2 or 3 or 4 teams in the entire league who can do that who aren't juggernauts.

Don't know why you put the Texans there like they're a boulder in our way. They're really not that good. Put the game on Schaubs shoulders, you're guaranteed a Win. Stop Foster, you stop the Texans offense. Protect your quarterback, you torch their defense. Sure they added Ed Reed now but his dysfunctional hip self won't really boost that secondary too much. We're taking the division back this year and that's all there is to it

Don't know why you put the Texans there like they're a boulder in our way. They're really not that good. Put the game on Schaubs shoulders, you're guaranteed a Win. Stop Foster, you stop the Texans offense. Protect your quarterback, you torch their defense. Sure they added Ed Reed now but his dysfunctional hip self won't really boost that secondary too much. We're taking the division back this year and that's all there is to it

Stopping Foster/Tate/Schaub is easier said than done. And we added more than Ed Reed this year, special teams, offense and defense will be much improved. I understand why Ohio mentioned us as we won the division two years in a row now....we are a roadblock at this point. A good team that won't be taken down easily.

Stopping Foster/Tate/Schaub is easier said than done. And we added more than Ed Reed this year, special teams, offense and defense will be much improved. I understand why Ohio mentioned us as we won the division two years in a row now....we are a roadblock at this point. A good team that won't be taken down easily.

I agree you are a very good team, and Foster and Andre Johnson are just straight up beasts, but Ed Reed is clearly not what he used to be, and I honestly think the Colts may be the better team this year, Foster won't have much fun running the ball with LaRon Landry coming down hill with a head of steam

I agree you are a very good team, and Foster and Andre Johnson are just straight up beasts, but Ed Reed is clearly not what he used to be, and I honestly think the Colts may be the better team this year, Foster won't have much fun running the ball with LaRon Landry coming down hill with a head of steam

Even if Reed doesn't see the field as much as we want his experience will be great for our secondary. Swearinger is the stud safety we grabbed in the second so when Reed's not in he'll be able to pick up the slack. Naturally I think my team is better lol but we will see how things go when the season comes around :D Besides, I can see Mr. Landry biting on the PA. He won't have much fun with Andre on the field. ;)

We made it look easy in week 17 so although far from a given, it's not much of a reach.

We made it look easy in week 17 so although far from a given, it's not much of a reach.

We had a few injuries that game and no I'm not making excuses for what happened. We just straight up played bad, inexcusable. But saying that we aren't good is a little off base. A lot of other teams besides the Colts and Texans improved this year too.

I love what Pagano and Grigson are doing, by building a 2 headed monster not just our offense but are defense as well! All the years we had  Peyton it was all about the offense, the defense outside of a few players was soft, can thank Polian for that. With the new additions made by Grigson on offense and defense we are a force to be reckoned with, especially with a soon to be elite QB at the helm! I think the sky is the limit for this team, and I think its possible we could win it all this year, but if we don't this year it won't be long before we do!

Even if Reed doesn't see the field as much as we want his experience will be great for our secondary. Swearinger is the stud safety we grabbed in the second so when Reed's not in he'll be able to pick up the slack. Naturally I think my team is better lol but we will see how things go when the season comes around :D Besides, I can see Mr. Landry biting on the PA. He won't have much fun with Andre on the field. ;)

how often if andre on the field? Lol just messin man

Well sure they *can*.

Just something for thought- Last season the Texans finished 1 game ahead of the Colts in the division. I could see you bringing up another team but the Texans? We played the exact same teams as the Texans with the exception of 2 teams. We did beat 3 of the teams the Texans lost to. I think the Colts will win the AFC south. 

I understand it's your job to back your team. But lets look at the big picture a little. The Texans first division title came when Manning was on the sidelines and the Colts were in shambles. Last season the Texans finished just 1 game ahead of the Colts. A rookie QB. 37 new players on the roster. Head coach not even on the sidelines. New GM and coaches. A less than average defense and running game. The last game of the year the Texans had their home field on the line and we all remember what happened there. Sorry QuizBoy I don't see the Texans coming close to being a dominate team. I have no clue as to how the Colts will gel with their new players but if I were a betting man I wouldn't put too much money on the Texans at this point. 

We had a few injuries that game and no I'm not making excuses for what happened. We just straight up played bad, inexcusable. But saying that we aren't good is a little off base. A lot of other teams besides the Colts and Texans improved this year too.

Never said you guys weren't good Quiz. You are a fine team, between all the teasing. I just think we have something different going on. As a general rule of thumb, greatness comes from the QB down, and that's where we hold the aces.

I understand it's your job to back your team. But lets look at the big picture a little. The Texans first division title came when Manning was on the sidelines and the Colts were in shambles. Last season the Texans finished just 1 game ahead of the Colts. A rookie QB. 37 new players on the roster. Head coach not even on the sidelines. New GM and coaches. A less than average defense and running game. The last game of the year the Texans had their home field on the line and we all remember what happened there. Sorry QuizBoy I don't see the Texans coming close to being a dominate team. I have no clue as to how the Colts will gel with their new players but if I were a betting man I wouldn't put too much money on the Texans at this point.

We beat every playoff team we faced last year with the exception of the Patriots and are considered one of the top dogs in the AFC, arguably better than the gutted Ravens and certainly the Broncos (two teams we beat by the way). I read the posts and optimism all the time on this board but it puzzles me that some seem to think winning the division will be a cakewalk. We all but swept the division last year but for one game. I think things will be very competitive in the South this year. But all of this is just talk. The boys will distinguish themselves from the men when the season comes around buddy. Come on September!! :)

Never said you guys weren't good Quiz. You are a fine team, between all the teasing. I just think we have something different going on. As a general rule of thumb, greatness comes from the QB down, and that's where we hold the aces.

Yep I know you didn't man. I was just referring to TK's post. He might have had too much Apple juice tonight haha True, having the QB is definitely the most important aspect of greatness. I just suppose it's our job to prevent the Peyton Manning effect (complete dominance of a division) from happening again lol. Looking forward to what could be the next great rivalry for sure.

I'm not a betting man but after last year its hard not to put all my money on us. I'm not sure if we will go all the way and win it all but I do think we will have a much better season then last year from a defensive stand point. I'd say our D is a top 10 this year and maybe a top 5 in run D. Understand this D has been put together to first stop the run, and with our division full of guys like Johnson, Foster and jones- drew, teams will have a hard time running the ball on us this year. The Texans are our biggest competition and if you take Foster out of the equation there is no way we loss. The biggest game changer for me is our running game, if Bradshaw can stay healthy he will be the missing piece to the offence. If you take a good look at the holes on this team from last year its clear of the drastic improvements. On D our front 7 are bigger and stronger and nasty at the point of attack and the amount of depth we now have with guys like Chapman,Franklin,Francois, Hughes and Mckinney now healthy Redding, Moala,Nevis and Mathews. We finally have OLB that fit the 3-4 scheme and can rush the passer, guys like Werner,Mathis Walden and Sidbury. We're stacked at ILB again this year as we were last year, then add Toler and Landry on the back end in witch CB and SS were two of our biggest weakness from last year on that side of the ball not to mention most of our players are entering their second year in this scheme. We had a massive upgrade to the O-line with Thomas,Cherilus,Holmes and Thornton so the protection should be much improved from last year, then lets look at a few new toys Luck received this offseason in Heyward-Bey, Bradshaw and K. Williams which williams will shock alot of people similar to the way TY shocked lot of fans last year. Cunningham will make the 53 man roster. With most of our players on offence going into their second year even if it is a new scheme I expect great things out of guys like Fleener,Allen,TY,Whalen,Ballard. You mixed a few vets like Wayne, Bradshaw and its hard not to think we can go all the way but only time will tell...The season can't get here fast enough!!!  

I think the Colts can win the Super Bowl this year. For a couple of reasons:

1) Since we don't have a lot of players who eat up most of the cap, we are able to have more mid level players at all positions. If you look at our squad, I don't think there is a position you can say "Yeah, we are really bad there". We are solid at every position. In some areas, very good. This might not seem like much, but in this day and age of free agency, almost every team has some weakness. Especially teams who get top heavy. The last few years of the Manning Colts, we had 8 really good players, and then a bunch of guys to fill out the roster. That becomes more of the norm.

2) Given, we had an easy schedule last year and got some breaks in games. However, we were a very flawed team last year and still won 11 games. With the talent brought in for free agency, from the draft, and players who are healthy like Chapman and hopefully Angerer, the talent has been taken up a few notches I believe.

3) Pagano is a players coach and inspires people to follow him. This is a guy who will make an impression on players 15 years ago who still talk about him. He has a great blend of fire and compassion,while having a wealth of football knowledge. He is the perfect coach for this team and will lead them to great things. And I think Pep Hamilton's offense will make a HUGE difference to Red Zone scoring and offensive efficiency.

4) Andrew Luck's is a special talent. Not saying anything new here. But he showed last year he comes alive when the game is on the line. And it is not often you get a QB who can run like he can as well as being a good pocket passing QB who can read defenses and go through progressions so quickly.

I think the Colts are going to shock the league this year. I am predicting right now that we win the Super Bowl next year. Having been a fan for 35 years, I see something special about these team and its leaders.

Note: I know the forum Nazi's will come in and say "I would like to see {fill in blank} play a little before predicting...". Yeah, got that. But the whole point of the forum is to talk about the Colts and speculate.

It's nice to see someone say what you have. And it's nice to see someone agree with me! Lol

Lets focus on beating the current Division champs on the road first, There are many facets to a good and especially a great team, None bigger then being able to go into an opposing stadium and walk out with it completely silent in disbelief and shock, We didn't exactly beat any power houses last year on the road, Detroit was a good win but truth be told it was the battle of two teams that was playing without a secondary for most of the season and they tanked anyway

The Texans are a good team, no doubt.  But my reasoning is I think the Colts are a far better them all around than they were last year.   And we beat the Titans in Indy last year.   So I see no reason to think the Colts won't win the division.   The Colts, on paper, are a very, very solid team.   If Pagano, Arians, and Grigson can get 11 wins with the talent next year, no reason to think this is not a better team.  Maybe we get 10 wins this years, but we are a much more dangerous team in the playoffs from my perspective.

I'm loving all the youth, experience and depth! I've been advocating for an approach closer to "moneyball" for years, with a focus on value and expectation over history and a perverse affinity for banking "highest paid" guys. I cannot begin to explain how happy I am with what Grigson has been doing for this team.

That said, my biggest concern is actually Coach. I have a great deal if admiration and respect for Pagano, but we really never got more than a glimpse at his ability to manage a game.

I have no doubts on his ability to recruit and motivate, but a talented craftsman may produce an exquisite chess board and intricate chess pieces, but that doesn't make him a chess master.

I hope we discover he can manage games brilliantly too.

We lose in Denver in the AFC championship game. Peyton goes on to win his last SB. The Colts dynasty wins the first SB of many the following year.

And in an unprecedented, unexpected move, Irsay buys the University of Alabama and makes them the official Colts minor league team.

The Oracle has spoken.

We lose in Denver in the AFC championship game. Peyton goes on to win his last SB. The Colts dynasty wins the first SB of many the following year.

And in an unprecedented, unexpected move, Irsay buys the University of Alabama and makes them the official Colts minor league team.

The Oracle has spoken.

I have no exception to the first part of that statement. Peyton needs another!

The Colts are an unknown team right now. They are better than last year and should win the division. The best part of this season is watching what/who they are. We still have a big crop of rookies but the staff is in place and we know what Luck is capable of. The Ravens are still the marshall in town and Flacco has hit his mark as we all saw in the playoffs and SB. I believe this season is going down to the wire in our division and the playoffs.  Our division is so close one injury to one team could sink them. Hang on to your hats, this should be a great ride.

I have no exception to the first part of that statement. Peyton needs another!

I'm of two minds on the matter. I wouldn't be upset if he won another but at the same time, I kind of want his only SB appearances and win to be with his real team, the Colts. 

Getting to the Superbowl?  I don't think so.  We'd still have to get through Manning and Brady.  I don't think we have the pass rush to beat those guys.  

Winning the Superbowl?  We could see Brees, Rodgers, the Falcons, the 49'ers or the Seahawks.  

For the record I named the Falcons, 49'ers and the Seahawks by team name because in my opinion they are good because their entire team is good instead of having an elite QB carry them.

the one thing that could stop us is special teams. With vineteri being at the end of his career I could see him pulling a mike v in the afc championship game with us missing the super bowl by a hair. Once we get our new fg kicker I think all the pieces will be in place

Getting to the Superbowl?  I don't think so.  We'd still have to get through Manning and Brady.  I don't think we have the pass rush to beat those guys.  

Winning the Superbowl?  We could see Brees, Rodgers, the Falcons, the 49'ers or the Seahawks.  

For the record I named the Falcons, 49'ers and the Seahawks by team name because in my opinion they are good because their entire team is good instead of having an elite QB carry them.

I do think we have pass rush to beat those guys. Infact if we all 100 percent healthy I could see toler picking off brady and manning and laron laying the smackdown on their slot receiver

The Colts are an unknown team right now. They are better than last year and should win the division. The best part of this season is watching what/who they are. We still have a big crop of rookies but the staff is in place and we know what Luck is capable of. The Ravens are still the marshall in town and Flacco has hit his mark as we all saw in the playoffs and SB. I believe this season is going down to the wire in our division and the playoffs.  Our division is so close one injury to one team could sink them. Hang on to your hats, this should be a great ride.

So first you say that the Colts are an unknown team....then you say they will win the division? That's the thing...we haven't seen you guys unit together yet. Seahawks improved drastically but still came up short to the 49ers. Dolphins improved last season but still didn't wrestle the division from the Patriots. I'm just saying everyone gets new toys every offseason. As far as the Ravens go....yeah I don't think so. Patriots are at the top in the AFC right now I think. I wouldn't bet on the Ravens beating them again and I suspect that they will lose to the Broncos too. But we'll see on opening day I suppose.