Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is a Big Wide Receiver Next In Line For The Colts?

From Kevin Bowen...

http://blogs.colts.com/2013/05/20/is-a-big-a-wide-receiver-next-in-line-for-the-colts/?campaign=tw_blog__20130520_8122284

Jeremy Kelley knows...Ryan Grigson’s pedigree for exploring all options in completing a full roster. (And it) was something that intrigued the 6-6, 225-pound wide receiver to sign with the Colts. “That’s what I kept hearing when I came out here–Indy’s never had big wideouts,” Kelley said. “I feel like I’m big enough, fast enough to bring a change. Whether they want to use me as a red zone threat, whether they want to use me as an inside, big target across the middle, whether they want to use me to block for screens, being bigger, being stronger, I think that makes me accessible to do more things.” Kelley, who has spent the last two seasons in the Arena Football League following a stint in the CFL, participated in the Colts rookie minicamp from May 10-12. When the first rookie minicamp practice concluded, there was the thump of the jugs machine running near midfield as Kelley was the lone member to stay after for extra reps. The following day, there was Kelley again the lone rookie in the Colts locker room with iPad in hand, dissecting a playbook he hopes to still be in come September. “It’s necessary, especially a guy in my position, being a free agent coming out of Arena, Canadian leagues and what not,” Kelley said of the extra work. “It’s just perfecting your craft. For me, it gives me that confidence on the field and now I can go out and I can trust what I’m doing and just play.”

Thanks Brian.  I could not get Kevin's article/Twitter to open.

Kelley is quite a pysical specimen.  It looks like he has the work ethic...does he get a spot...my guess is practice Squad at this point...but anything is possible.  If he can prove his worth with that big body on Special Teams we cannot complain either.  Interesting...LOVE a great work ethic!!!  good%20luck.gif

Thanks Brian.  I could not get Kevin's article/Twitter to open.

Kelley is quite a pysical specimen.  It looks like he has the work ethic...does he get a spot...my guess is practice Squad at this point...but anything is possible.  If he can prove his worth with that big body on Special Teams we cannot complain either.  Interesting...LOVE a great work ethic!!!  good%20luck.gif

Edit....physical....GRRRR!

I'm guessing PS at best. He hasn't been a playmaker or had good numbers at any level, why would he all of a sudden be a good NFL player?

We already have a guy about his size, faster, and with more experience, who can fill the tasks he's talking about.

His name is Coby Fleener and I hope they take advantage of his skills more this season.

I'm guessing PS at best. He hasn't been a playmaker or had good numbers at any level, why would he all of a sudden be a good NFL player?

We already have a guy about his size, faster, and with more experience, who can fill the tasks he's talking about.

His name is Coby Fleener and I hope they take advantage of his skills more this season.

I tend to agree with this. I think Kelley does provide a unique asset to the receiving game but how much different is he then Fleener?

At the end of the day, you rarely carry more than 5 WRs on the 53-man roster.

Obviously you have Reggie, DHB and T.Y.

Brazill should be No. 4 and then I think the 5th will come from Palmer/Whalen.

Fleener can be your red zone threat and at 6'2" 216 pounds DHB should be a matchup problem against smaller corners.

Coby Fleener didn't play up to his potential either.  I hope that he has a better season this year.

I hope he shows something, but is he even really an option for significant PT this year? I honestly don't see a way Jeremy Kelley passes Darrius Heyward-Bey, Reggie Wayne, or T.Y. Hilton, so at best that puts him in the 4th receiver slot, and even then it is highly unlikely he passes LaVon Brazill for the 4th receiver spot, and with Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener (who will play some wide out on certain plays) I don't see how he can get significant or any PT, maybe he and Heyward-Bey are the receivers of our future, but this year, I don't see it

Coby Fleener didn't play up to his potential either.  I hope that he has a better season this year.

I can see why some fans may feel this way, especially in light of the way that Dwayne Allen played for us. However, I have gone back and watched all of the games, over and over again, on NFL Game Rewind. I noticed that Fleener was the recipient of so many of Luck's bad throws. It was really odd.

Whenever Luck badly overthrew someone, I would say, "I bet he was throwing to Fleener" and I was right more often than not. For some odd reason, Luck just did not throw well to Fleener, the entire season. I asked myself if I was being biased and went back and reviewed the throws to Fleener. Let's just say that Luck did not do him any favors this past season.

If someone else would like to take a more objective look at this, I would be happy to hear if I'm being biased or it's truly an odd coincidence.

I can see why some fans may feel this way, especially in light of the way that Dwayne Allen played for us. However, I have gone back and watched all of the games, over and over again, on NFL Game Rewind. I noticed that Fleener was the recipient of so many of Luck's bad throws. It was really odd.

Whenever Luck badly overthrew someone, I would say, "I bet he was throwing to Fleener" and I was right more often than not. For some odd reason, Luck just did not throw well to Fleener, the entire season. I asked myself if I was being biased and went back and reviewed the throws to Fleener. Let's just say that Luck did not do him any favors this past season.

If someone else would like to take a more objective look at this, I would be happy to hear if I'm being biased or it's truly an odd coincidence.

Interesting. I know there were some bad throw, but there were a few he should have caught. I think he'll really benefit from the Pep offense. He has Gronkowski type of talent, I think, but I may just be hoping.

Ironically enough, most people thought they would have that Stanford chemistry going on and Fleener would be the safety blanket. So much for that.

I think you're forgetting that Coby had 3-4 passes right in his hands....   and dropped them.    Including one on the very first play of the playoff game with Baltimore.   Coby didn't do Andrew any favors on those plays.

But what Coby suffered through is actually very common for rookie wide receivers.    I'm expecting Fleener to play much more like the player he was his last 3 years at Stanford than he was last year.    Much, much better.

I'll be shocked and disappointed if he doesn't.....

I think you're forgetting that Coby had 3-4 passes right in his hands....   and dropped them.    Including one on the very first play of the playoff game with Baltimore.   Coby didn't do Andrew any favors on those plays.

But what Coby suffered through is actually very common for rookie wide receivers.    I'm expecting Fleener to play much more like the player he was his last 3 years at Stanford than he was last year.    Much, much better.

So did Allen.....    

Both have some work to do....

I tend to agree with this. I think Kelley does provide a unique asset to the receiving game but how much different is he then Fleener?

At the end of the day, you rarely carry more than 5 WRs on the 53-man roster.

Obviously you have Reggie, DHB and T.Y.

Brazill should be No. 4 and then I think the 5th will come from Palmer/Whalen.

Fleener can be your red zone threat and at 6'2" 216 pounds DHB should be a matchup problem against smaller corners.

Most highlights of Fleener at Stanford were of him "running" down field.....    Deep, and making a play...  

What did we see Fleener do all of last season?   Try to block, and run a ten yard out.   ????

Pep is BACK, and he knows how to use a TE.      Fleener and Allen will flourish this year... 

Most highlights of Fleener at Stanford were of him "running" down field.....    Deep, and making a play...  

What did we see Fleener do all of last season?   Try to block, and run a ten yard out.   ????

Pep is BACK, and he knows how to use a TE.      Fleener and Allen will flourish this year... 

I confess this was mystifying to me....

The closest we came to throwing deep to Fleener was the 26-yd TD up the far sidelines against Detroit.   I think that was Coby's first TD and led to that awful celebration dance....  

But for a coach like Arians, who loves so-called "chunk yardage" plays and the Colts draft the best deep thread TE in the draft and then almost never throw the ball deep to him?!?

What up with that?     That was a complete mystery to me.

A seem route up the middle?    No

A skinny post?    No.

A deep corner pattern?     Nope.

Did we split him wide and send him on a 'go' route?     Not that I can recall.....

While I often thought Coby looked overwhelmed and overmatched,  I also thought he was used badly....  wrongly....   unimaginatively....    I never understood Arians on that.....

OK....  water under the bridge and all that....  I expect the new and improved Fleener 2.0 this year...!    :thmup:

No, not forgetting about those drops. I remember yelling at my TV, lol.

Our receivers had many gut wrenching drops at critical times last year, including Fleener. But of all of our receivers, he seemed to be the one to receive the worste of Luck's passes is all I was trying to point out-- and I could be entirely wrong. I just found it odd that it would be Fleener, his favorite target in college.

It has been mentioned that Fleener ran routes that entirely did not suite his style of Play (10- yard outs almost entirely) and that could have contributed to the lack of connection.

Don't forget Wayne isn't going to be around forever. So there will be another opening in a couple years. Now obviously we might use a high draft pick on a guy but who knows if Kelley could show something then they may not want to use a draft pick on a WR and use him or another guy that could supprise. Not saying this will happen or is even likley but you never know. Glad this guy is at least showing extra effort and that he's willing to work hard. Even if he doesn't make it.

I noticed that as well, but I have to believe that, at least on some of those plays, Fleener wasn't where he was supposed to be. I'm sure that was not always the case, but he just looked uncomfortable for most of the season. Didn't he have a shortened offseason coming in due to educational requirements? not sure because he was getting a Master's. Either way, I expect him to be much better in the upcoming season.

There were a ton of bad drops last season, but I also remember Donnie Avery and Reggie making some circus catches on bad throws... I think that the measurables of WRs get overblown sometimes... solid hands and route running trump all, IMO... That being said... Andrew to A.J. Green at the Pro Bowl made it look like we might be a stud WR away from greatness, but there is no D at the Pro Bowl...

If Kelley has the talent to make the team, I like the idea of having another big blocker at WR for disguised runs and another big RZ target... T.Y. Hilton was the best RZ target we had last season by far, which is pretty pathetic.. it seems like we had more success on broken and well covered RZ plays than we did when we tried to take advantage of mismatches with our larger targets. A lot of that was #12 making rookie mistakes as opposed to our lack of size at WR, but I just hope that whoever makes the roster can ball and won't leave us boned if injuries occur...

If you look at the footage of Kelley... he is a big bruising, straight line runner and is great at plucking the ball from the sky. But he exhibits no hips or body swivel, so I think we would be very limited in the routes we could have him run. I don't see him making the team.

If you look at the footage of Kelley... he is a big bruising, straight line runner and is great at plucking the ball from the sky. But he exhibits no hips or body swivel, so I think we would be very limited in the routes we could have him run. I don't see him making the team.

Lookin at the footage Im hoping Rumble makes the PS, I think he has a real good chance, he shows good hands, break away speed, Good leaping ability to go up and get the ball, Good at run after the catch, good hip flexability to swivel, If it came down to him or Kelley then I'd go with Rumble......But the other side of that coin is if we put him on the PS I bet it would not be long at all for some team to pick him up

Don't forget Wayne isn't going to be around forever. So there will be another opening in a couple years. Now obviously we might use a high draft pick on a guy but who knows if Kelley could show something then they may not want to use a draft pick on a WR and use him or another guy that could supprise. Not saying this will happen or is even likley but you never know. Glad this guy is at least showing extra effort and that he's willing to work hard. Even if he doesn't make it.

and let's not forget dhb is also probably gone after this season.. so a high roud draft pick next year on a wr is a big possibility..

I like kelley yeah he's a long shot but stranger things have happened Kurt Warner was from the Arena league & was bagging groceries when the Rams found there diamond in the rough .

This dude realizes its a uphill battle but hes been there & done that in the past few years to be a Colt is the goal . I just hope this Cinderfella gets to take the field in preseason I want to see what he can do ..

:colts:

He makes me think of Andre Johnson in that you just have to throw the ball up and near him and he pulls it down. Andre weighs the same, but is only 6'3". Can you see him matched with a 5'11" safety? Competition in camp is a key to making great starters and backup and at least he should provide that.

As I said above as well as Smonroe right after, he is a perfect candidate for the Practice Squad.

Last year we kept our tallest receiver on the PS...Kris Adams.  Kelly to me would be great as a back-up plan for injury...maybe could show us something big on the Special Teams this pre-season...

As Kevin Bowen says above, the last receiver spot looks to be Palmer/Whalen.  I am sure most of the board has Whalen because of Pep, but I feel we are making a huge mistake is we let Palmer go.  He was a West Coast Terror in college with Harnish as his QB...I can live with either one, but Palmer is healthy...not coming off of injury...thoughts Anton?  Guys??? :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

Im not against Palmer making the cuts but can he be able to handleplaying on the field and by that I mean not running  wrong routes after the catch, Personally I got my eye on Rumble to crack the PS, I also like what I saw from Lanear Samson on tape...Still to early to know, I cant wait till TC to see what these guys do in pads

Im not against Palmer making the cuts but can he be able to handle it and by that I mean not running  wrong routes after the catch, Personally I got my eye on Rumble to crack the PS, I also like what I saw from Lanear Samson on tape...Still to early to know, I cant wait till TC to see what these guys do in pads

I would not know...all I have seen is tape in college on Palmer as well as a darned good preseason with SF last year.  Just throwing out the question because I loved Whalen's ability to be a 'possession receiver.'

I think we could have two WRs and a TE on the PS.  Kelley and Rumble are my choices, and Cunningham if he does not beat out Saunders...I am rooting for Cunningham!!  :)

HMMMM...can we have 2 WRs on PS?  Need some bigs too.... :popcorn: (Anxiously awaiting the  :nfl: season!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole confidence factor may have been the reason for the bad throws.  Sometimes over confidence breeds simple mistakes.  If that is the case, I hope that they sort that out this coming season.

and let's not forget dhb is also probably gone after this season.. so a high roud draft pick next year on a wr is a big possibility..

I wouldn't count him out too quickly though. I think he's got a good shot to have a good year and earn another contract. Especially with him being able to play with a good QB and not changing QBs every 5 games. Now if he does flop then yeah a high pick on a WR becomes very likely.

I wouldn't count him out too quickly though. I think he's got a good shot to have a good year and earn another contract. Especially with him being able to play with a good QB and not changing QBs every 5 games. Now if he does flop then yeah a high pick on a WR becomes very likely.

Very true, people call him a bust and stuff and maybe he is for being drafted #7. . . but it's hard to say how good a WR is based on playing for several seasons with below average QB play.