Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chapman medically cleared

MrNLM

Excited about Chapman.  I have a good feeling about our Defensive unit when it comes to stopping the run.  They should be able to shut down Jacksonville and Tennessee without any problems.  And hopefully they should be able to limit Houston because Shaub isn't a QB who can take the team on his back.

That having been said, Even with Werner in the mix, I think we are still too limited in terms of pass rush for the defense to shut down the big boys with top QB's.  

This much excitement for a rookie who has never played a minute in the NFL, coming off a year long injury? Wow. I'm all for being optimistic, but aren't we getting a little tiddly bit over excited? I know....killjoy.

people love shiny new toys

This much excitement for a rookie who has never played a minute in the NFL, coming off a year long injury? Wow. I'm all for being optimistic, but aren't we getting a little tiddly bit over excited? I know....killjoy.

No, you're being realistic. We also need to remind ourselves that he was a good player at Bama. But even before the injury, he was no game changer.

I expect the same in the pros, a good run stopper. I'm excited about him, as well as the rest of our DTs, NTs and DEs.

I hope that TNT moniker catches on.  That's a sign of a loose team.  So happy we kept Mathis...great locker room presence.  I remember a bunch of years back Colts.com did some kind of profiles on all the rookie and 2nd year players on the D, and asked them which veteran they looked up to the most.  Every DL said Mathis...  (There were only like three of them, though.)

No, you're being realistic. We also need to remind ourselves that he was a good player at Bama. But even before the injury, he was no game changer.

I expect the same in the pros, a good run stopper. I'm excited about him, as well as the rest of our DTs, NTs and DEs.

You don't have to be a game changer to make an impact

Watch his film at Bama, he was a big rock in the middle that wouldn't move causing RB's to turn outside and allowing the LB's to roam free. That's what he brings to the table. Not all things you do make the stat sheet, you can have a good game and not have a single stat in some cases

They called his first practice back........"the practice."

They say he can't be moved.

Mathis calls him TNT.

Seriously, this guy must just be a freak of nature. He's not even played a down in the NFL and has a mythical aura about him. 

They called his first practice back........"the practice."

They say he can't be moved.

Mathis calls him TNT.

Seriously, this guy must just be a freak of nature. He's not even played a down in the NFL and has a mythical aura about him. 

He was considered a 1st round pick before his injury, similar to Marcus Lattimore. Grigson knew he wasn't gonna be ready last season but drafted him because of his potential. Mike Mayock compared him to Casey Hampton who was the glue to the Steerlers dominating defense this decade. Hopefully Chapman can have the same impact fo us that Hampton had for the Steerlers.

Not when he's a 300 pound run stopper than can bench press nearly 600 pounds. The dudes going to be an anchor for us!

He was considered a 1st round pick before his injury, similar to Marcus Lattimore. Grigson knew he wasn't gonna be ready last season but drafted him because of his potential. Mike Mayock compared him to Casey Hampton who was the glue to the Steerlers dominating defense this decade. Hopefully Chapman can have the same impact fo us that Hampton had for the Steerlers.

He was more likely considered a 3rd round pick, 2nd tops.   It's very rare for Nose Tackles to be first round picks.   Not sure there was one this year.

I know he was projected that high by some websites,  but not the good ones.   Chapman is very good.   My 2nd favorite pick for the 2012 draft,  but he wasn't a 1st round pick.

By the way,  a number of teams didn't have Lattimore as a 1st round pick either.   Many had him as a 2nd rounder.   There was no consensus of him being a 1st round pick.     Remember, running backs are deeply discounted these days....

I know he hasn't played a minute,  but Chapman was not an ordinary 5th round pick.   His knee surgery, and the likelihood of him not contributing last year kept him from being drafted higher.    Chapman is a talented kid born to play the Nose.

A very, very shrewd draft pick by Grigson.   He could pay off for many years to come.

I've been lurking the old forums for a long time before I dared to express a single opinion, and I can attest that having a big fat guy, "immovable object" in the middle of the D line has been Colts fans' dream for a long time. It came to fruition briefly with Corey Simon but was short lived.

Brav,  this kid "IF HEALTHY" will make Indy better from day one.  

He started for ALABAMA at NG, while injured..      IN the national title game..  

The Colts drafted him knowing he would likely sit this rookie year.     That does not happen often in the NFL.

You will be happy with this kid...         if his knee is good to go.   And apparently it is...

NO MORE RUNNING ON INDIANAPOLIS UP THE MIDDLE....      lets hope...  heheh.

He was more likely considered a 3rd round pick, 2nd tops.   It's very rare for Nose Tackles to be first round picks.   Not sure there was one this year.

I know he was projected that high by some websites,  but not the good ones.   Chapman is very good.   My 2nd favorite pick for the 2012 draft,  but he wasn't a 1st round pick.

By the way,  a number of teams didn't have Lattimore as a 1st round pick either.   Many had him as a 2nd rounder.   There was no consensus of him being a 1st round pick.     Remember, running backs are deeply discounted these days....

I disagree.  I think it's highly possible that Chapman could have been drafted before Dontari Poe had Chapman never been injured.  Chapman was consistently ranked as the top NT in that draft, ahead of Poe, until there started to be questions about Chapman's ability to consistently dominate....and those questions only arose, imo, because he was playing on an injured knee and never told anyone.  Chapman likely isn't going to be a force as a pass rusher but he was definitely, imo, the most pro-ready NT in that draft.

I disagree.  I think it's highly possible that Chapman could have been drafted before Dontari Poe had Chapman never been injured.  Chapman was consistently ranked as the top NT in that draft, ahead of Poe, until there started to be questions about Chapman's ability to consistently dominate....and those questions only arose, imo, because he was playing on an injured knee and never told anyone.  Chapman likely isn't going to be a force as a pass rusher but he was definitely, imo, the most pro-ready NT in that draft.

Poe is a freak of nature.   An exception to the rule.

He was drafted as high as he was because of his incredible measurable's.

6'3'+ 345, sub 5.0 40.     Chapman has none of those measurable's.     The one he does have would be bench press strength.  I have no doubt that Chapman is as strong as Poe.    But that alone doesn't get you in the first round.

It's no insult to Chapman to say he was a 2nd or 3rd round pick.   That's high for most NT's.   But it's typically where the best get drafted.

Put another way,   Tank Carradine was a first round pick until his knee injury.   He wound up getting drafted around 40th or so, even though he wasn't 100%.     Chapman fell to the 5th round.     That's a huge difference.    I know they're not the same position,   I'm only demonstrating that if you're a 1st round talent that falls due to a knee injury, you typically don't fall to the 5th round.    You can still go higher than that.

Besides,  any website calling Chapman a 1st rounder was doing it before he got hurt in October.   Lots of athletes are called 1st round draft picks in October and wind-up going much, much lower once April comes around.   And not just guys who get hurt.

I put no faith in anyone calling a NT a first round draft pick, especially that early in the season.   You had better play well the whole way through.    Chapman, to his credit,  played hurt.    But the kid was simply not a 1st round talent.   No insult to him.

Other than Luck,  Chapman was my favorite pick for the Colts a year ago.

Casey Hampton was a 1st round pick who Chapman was compared to during the combine. I agree it's very unlikely that a Nose Tackle gets taken early but it happens. I remember seeing Chapman mocked to the Patriots in the 1st round as Wilforks replacement before his injury. He definitely has 1st round talent, he was the anchor of the great 2011 Alabama defense and he dominated every game getting double teamed while freeing up linebackers. Whether or not he was a late 1st or 2nd round pick before his injury, still a great pick by Grigson and Chapman will make Freeman and Conner's job alot easier!

Casey Hampton was a 1st round pick who Chapman was compared to during the combine. I agree it's very unlikely that a Nose Tackle gets taken early but it happens. I remember seeing Chapman mocked to the Patriots in the 1st round as Wilforks replacement before his injury. He definitely has 1st round talent, he was the anchor of the great 2011 Alabama defense and he dominated every game getting double teamed while freeing up linebackers. Whether or not he was a late 1st or 2nd round pick before his injury, still a great pick by Grigson and Chapman will make Freeman and Conner's job alot easier!

Good post.

And I can't stress this enough,  I love the Chapman pick!    I think we got a steal.    And I think Grigson was smart enough to target him at the top of the 5th round.    I think the move was nothing short of genius!    I was thrilled with the pick!    Seriously!

I think Colts fan will quickly grow to appreciate him!    All he needs to do is stay healthy!    Easier said than done when you're a Nose Tackle.    But he's got the game for the position, and the body for the position.

Love Josh Chapman!    He's my Man-Crush for the Day!     :heart:          :thmup:

(Hopefully a year from now we're saying the same thing about Montori Hughes!)

You don't have to be a game changer to make an impact

Watch his film at Bama, he was a big rock in the middle that wouldn't move causing RB's to turn outside and allowing the LB's to roam free. That's what he brings to the table. Not all things you do make the stat sheet, you can have a good game and not have a single stat in some cases

Believe me, I'll wager that I've seen a lot more Bama games than most posters here.  I'm not trying to put Chapman down, I really liked his heart when he was here, how he played with injury.  

I'll I'm trying to say is that people may expect a lot more than what they're going to get.  He's a solid player, I don't know how good a pro he'll turn into.  

I keep going back to Mount Cody, who was an impact player at Bama.  He was responsible for one championship.  He hasn't lit the world on fire either.  Let's see Chapman play a game or two before we anoint him.

Believe me, I'll wager that I've seen a lot more Bama games than most posters here.  I'm not trying to put Chapman down, I really liked his heart when he was here, how he played with injury.  

I'll I'm trying to say is that people may expect a lot more than what they're going to get.  He's a solid player, I don't know how good a pro he'll turn into.  

I keep going back to Mount Cody, who was an impact player at Bama.  He was responsible for one championship.  He hasn't lit the world on fire either.  Let's see Chapman play a game or two before we anoint him.

I have noticed you keep referring to Cody.....what exactly did he do at Bama that Chapman didn't?