Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian is still good for some comedy.....

lollygagger8

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dalton or Kaepernick to the Colts would have made life interesting. But if either were here, the Colts wouldn’t have gone 2-14 that year, Polian would have kept his job and QB Andrew Luck would be playing elsewhere.

Screw that.

I'm a TCU fan and I wouldn't have wanted Dalton here. I'm happy with Luck and I'm happy FOR Dalton and the success he's having up in Cincy.

But I wouldn't mind a little Dalton-Luck rivalry developing but it seems they only pit us against the Bengals in preseason so that probably won't happen

I'm a TCU fan and I wouldn't have wanted Dalton here. I'm happy with Luck and I'm happy FOR Dalton and the success he's having up in Cincy.

But I wouldn't mind a little Dalton-Luck rivalry developing but it seems they only pit us against the Bengals in preseason so that probably won't happen

The schedule is a formula and not "made".

Well, someone needs to change the formula or something. Carry the 1 and divide by 2 and you get Luck vs Dalton haha

All that Cincy needs to do is win their division consistently then we would play every year. The reason we played the patriots so much is that we both finished 1st in our divisions every year.

I realize trashing Polian is all the rage these days on this board.  Some of it deserved - his string of poor drafts, his abrasive personality and the contradictions cited in this story and elsewhere.  But in my view the Colts were far better off with him than they would have been otherwise. 

I am grateful for Grigson now and fully appreciate the new regime.  But I am thankful for the great decade of the 2000's in which Polian was a huge part of. 

The "formula" just happened to turn out:

Broncos vs. Ravens?

Broncos vs. Colts?

The fact that NFL fans don't understand the scheduling formula bogles my mind...

each team plays division rivals twice one home game, one away game (6 games total)

then each team plays the 4 teams in another division within the conference, and then 4 teams in a division in the other conference  (this is on an annual rotation that accounts for 8 games)

the other two games you play the remaining conference teams from the other two divisions that placed the same as your team within their own division, (why the Colts played the Pats almost every year, since both teams won their perspective divisions year in & year out, oddly enough the years that one or the other team didn't win their division the next year AFC South played AFC East continuing their rivalry)

anyways you add all those up you get the 16 game schedule...

the Broncos play the Ravens because the Broncos won the AFC West & Ravens won the AFC North...

The Broncos play the Colts because the AFC West plays the AFC South...

this also accounts for why the strength of schedule favors the Broncos, Texans, & Colts, since the AFC West & AFC South play each other. KC, OAK, JAX finishing with the worst records in the league and S.D. & TENN also finishing in the bottom half of the league skew the "strength of schedule" since the games against these lower tier teams account for seven of the Colts & Texans  games and eight of the Broncos games...

We play the Bengals in the regular season this year.

If both teams win their divisions year after year we will play each other every year.

Broncos vs. Ravens?

Broncos vs. Colts?

The schedule formula is pretty simple. 6 games are against the other teams in your division, one home one away each. 4 Games are played against one of the other 3 divisions in your conference that rotates on a 3 year schedule, 2 home 2 away. 4 games are played against a division in the other conference that rotates on a 4 year schedule 2 home 2 away. The last 2 games are played against the teams in the 2 divisions in your conference that you did play this year and are the teams that finished the same rank in their division that you did in yours. This is why we played the pats all the time we both finished first every year in our divisions. The Broncos and Ravens are playing because of the same reason.

Well, someone needs to change the formula or something. Carry the 1 and divide by 2 and you get Luck vs Dalton haha

We play the Bengals in the regular season this year.

If both teams win their divisions year after year we will play each other every year.

I could easily see a Luck-Dalton rivalry brew up as I think the Colts may be a year off from winning the division (but will seriously contend) & the Bengals may be a year off from winning their division (according to the potential drop off with Balt)...

Or both teams could easily make the jump this year and face each other again next year...

or heck both teams could face each other in the AFC championship this year, or next!!!

but a Luck-Dalton rivalry would be fun, the teams proximity to each other would ensure fans of each team attending the games, and the Bengals have done a pretty good job of changing the image of the franchise helping make for a good rivalry & good storyline...

anyways, I am tired of the Colts-Pats rivalry, so I am all for a new rivalry for the Luck era Colts, why not Cincy...

Broncos vs. Ravens?

Broncos vs. Colts?

Exactly right.  The formula is not rocket science.

I can tell you right now 14 of the 16 games the Colts will play in 2014 and where those games will be. 

What is so funny? Polian already admitted that he wanted to trade Peyton during a contract dispute, so I will buy that he was looking for a young quarterback to develop, in Peyton's later years; his last contract.

I did not agree with everything Polian did, but the man was a genius. His time ran its course and now he is in the media. I love reading his articles, and am very proud to say that he was a great Colts GM. I am not sure why so many Colts fans find humor in bashing him.

Ummm....  

The Colts play the Bengals in the regular season this year.    You get your wish.

I realize trashing Polian is all the rage these days on this board.  Some of it deserved - his string of poor drafts, his abrasive personality and the contradictions cited in this story and elsewhere.  But in my view the Colts were far better off with him than they would have been otherwise. 

I am grateful for Grigson now and fully appreciate the new regime.  But I am thankful for the great decade of the 2000's in which Polian was a huge part of. 

Even as a New Colts Fan I appreciate you making this comment here. 

The Polian bashing here is something to behold....

Broncos vs. Ravens?

Broncos vs. Colts?

The only thing that's not determined by the formula is when those games will be played. So the formula didn't determine that the Broncos and Ravens would play in Week 1, but it did determine that they would play in 2013, and that the game would be played in Denver.

Even as a New Colts Fan I appreciate you making this comment here. 

The Polian bashing here is something to behold....

There was a lot of good with Polian, even though I have done my fair share of Polian bashing (I was at the Jets game, so I feel any Colts fan that paid good money for that game has the right for a good Polian rant every now and then)...

I think that the whole "perfect" season debacle was sort of  the beginning of the end for the Polian era, he was always brash with media & in interviews but he even seemed to rachet that up a notch or two those last few years, and he logged in a couple of questionable drafts as well & it was down hill from there...

I will say I always thought it was cool that Polian would walk the field during warm ups while players were stretching & personally shake every players hand before home games, I guess that was one of the more personable things he would always do...

The article was accurate in stating that Bill's probably forgotten more about football than we'll know. 

Unfortunately, that started when he was still on the job for us.

Apparently, it's now snowballed into him not remembering what he's said and totally pulling 180's on his statements. Someone get that man a Sudoku book to sharpen his brain back up.

There was a lot of good with Polian, even though I have done my fair share of Polian bashing (I was at the Jets game, so I feel any Colts fan that paid good money for that game has the right for a good Polian rant every now and then)...

I think that the whole "perfect" season debacle was sort of  the beginning of the end for the Polian era, he was always brash with media & in interviews but he even seemed to rachet that up a notch or two those last few years, and he logged in a couple of questionable drafts as well & it was down hill from there...

I will say I always thought it was cool that Polian would walk the field during warm ups while players were stretching & personally shake every players hand before home games, I guess that was one of the more personable things he would always do...

Yeah Polian was always like that. He acted like he was always right and anyone questioning him was stupid. In the early years he was right most of the time so his attitude didn't bother people that much. But towards the end he started slipping and instead of backing off he doubled down. I see that as him placing his pride above the success of the team and it's why I started to dislike him.

Yeah Polian was always like that. He acted like he was always right and anyone questioning him was stupid. In the early years he was right most of the time so his attitude didn't bother people that much. But towards the end he started slipping and instead of backing off he doubled down. I see that as him placing his pride above the success of the team and it's why I started to dislike him.

Yeah he definitely got a bit "arrogant" in regards to his belief system, and any other belief system that contradicted his line of thinking was absurd, or at least to him. He also seemed to TRY to employ an unorthodox approach to the draft, and in the last few drafts it seemed like he was in keeping with that trend, just to do so...

or that is how it seemed...

If he would have kept his nose out of coaching maybe I could have looked past everything else. His "sit 'em" mentality ruined a few post season runs. IMO.

The schedule is a formula and not "made".

I actually used to work with one of the lead architects/software engineers who developed the software used for the NFL scheduling. It is pretty advanced and layered, so much so that no game is simple a random occurence, there is some level of logic behind them all.

Exactly right.  The formula is not rocket science.

I can tell you right now 14 of the 16 games the Colts will play in 2014 and where those games will be. 

The teams they play is fairly simple to understand, but actual scheduling is also automated and is extremely intricate.

What is so funny? Polian already admitted that he wanted to trade Peyton during a contract dispute, so I will buy that he was looking for a young quarterback to develop, in Peyton's later years; his last contract.

I did not agree with everything Polian did, but the man was a genius. His time ran its course and now he is in the media. I love reading his articles, and am very proud to say that he was a great Colts GM. I am not sure why so many Colts fans find humor in bashing him.

If Polian was a genius, then Beyonce has skinny legs.

If Polian was a genius, then Beyonce has skinny legs.

2 Super Bowl appearances for the Colts and 1 Super Bowl win. How many did we win or participate in before Polian came to Indy?

Pre Polian era 1984-1997 the Colts were 88-135 and won 39.46% of the games played.

The Polian era 1998-2011 the Colts were 143-81 and won 63.84% of the games played.

10 game win seasons before the Polian era happened 0 times.

10 game win seasons during the Polian era happened 11 times, and 9 of them were straight. 8 seasons were 12 wins or better, and 7 were straight.

Yeah, not too many GMs have ever done that.

2 Super Bowl appearances for the Colts and 1 Super Bowl win. How many did we win or participate in before Polian came to Indy?

Pre Polian era 1984-1997 the Colts were 88-135 and won 39.46% of the games played.

The Polian era 1998-2011 the Colts were 143-81 and won 63.84% of the games played.

10 game win seasons before the Polian era happened 0 times.

10 game win seasons during the Polian era happened 11 times, and 9 of them were straight. 8 seasons were 12 wins or better, and 7 were straight.

Yeah, not too many GMs have ever done that.

four super bowl visits when he was in buffalo. what have they done since.

If he would have kept his nose out of coaching maybe I could have looked past everything else. His "sit 'em" mentality ruined a few post season runs. IMO.

No, Tony Dungy fully embraced that philosophy as well. I agree 110% that it affected our post-season performance negatively, but to say Polian forced it on the coaches all those years would be incorrect. The only year I believe that would be true of is 2009.