Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where does Donald Brown fit in a WCO?

chad72

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent read what anyone else posted on this thread so I could be just repeating someone else. But I dont think Donald will start, I feel Vick is the better back of the two even if we didnt run a WC Hybrid Offense. But seein how Pep likes using WCO and WCO uses a more power back style, I see Vick getting the start IMO.

I don't know if Brown will fit as well as Ballard will, but I seriously doubt we get rid of Brown since he's on contract thru next season.

If/when we get an actual O-Line, maybe Brown turns into a homerun hitter. Maybe not.

Who knows.....but like we've all said for years, this is really make or break year for Brown and Jerry Hughes.

I don't know if Brown will fit as well as Ballard will, but I seriously doubt we get rid of Brown since he's on contract thru next season.

If/when we get an actual O-Line, maybe Brown turns into a homerun hitter. Maybe not.

Who knows.....but like we've all said for years, this is really make or break year for Brown and Jerry Hughes.

For Brown no doubt it is assuming we fix our O Line if we dont fix it then I hope its his last year here regardless because then he can go to a team with a respectable O Line to show what he can do  (This is a contact year for him) I dont think this is a make or break year for Hughes regardless if he starts or not simply because in my opinion he is going to get stuck behind Mathis again, which I like Mathis so its not a bad thing at all, it just sucks if we want to get younger, he is not an UFA till the end of 2014

Remains to be seen. Quite a few people on this forum think he's leaving. It's up in the air at this point.

And Collie was let go so early probably cause they already had their mind made up during the season. Still plenty of time before FA actually begins

I think 'up in the air' is a bit much. He's still with us under a cheap contract, I don't know why we'd let him before camp. He was putting up about just as many yards as Ballard before his injury problems. I hope he comes back next year and gets a real chance behind some maulers.

I think 'up in the air' is a bit much. He's still with us under a cheap contract, I don't know why we'd let him before camp. He was putting up about just as many yards as Ballard before his injury problems. I hope he comes back next year and gets a real chance behind some maulers.

"Maulers" Hmmm, I like the way that sounds haha

Since he is still under contract, I could not forsee the Colts getting rid of him. I thought this would be the year he would break out, especially since we drafted a talented running back. You would have though that would have lit a fire in him. It may have been a case of Vick exceeding expectations, either way, D.B. found his way to the bottom where I would expect to find him next year barring injuries (god forbid) to V. B.

Some people on here make me laugh at there eagerness to crown Ballard as the automatic starter when the reality is he had 814 yards rushing being the primary Back because Brown went down, if Brown does not go down with an injury that 814 yards is a pipe dream, Not because of any lack of ability because Ballard can certainly be a 1000 yard Back no question thats obvious but they would both be sharing carries and both would be struggling to get into a rhythm running the ball, Ballard even said he he likes to get alot of carries because the more carries he gets, He gets into a rhythm and sees cuts he didn't see earlier on in games, Alot of running backs need plenty of carries, Scroll down under 

Ballards Career Day

http://blogs.colts.com/tag/vick-ballard/

The Smoke Monster told me to post this. 

Donald Brown's rushing numbers per year

2009 -   78 attempts in 11 games with a total of 281

2010 - 129 attempts in 13 games with a total of 497

2011 - 134 attempts in 16 games with a total of 645

2012 - 108 attempts in 10 games with a total of 417

Vick Ballard's rushing numbers in 2012

2012 - 211 attempts in 16 games with a total of 814 yards

There is 0 reason to cut him now, if the Colts dont think hes a better back then Ballard and Carter then he'll be the 3rd back but you dont have to cut him, its not like he has a monster contract either.  IF the Colts do draft a change of pace back and throughout preseason and training camp he proves to be better then Brown, well THEN you can start thinking abu cuttng him but at his point it doesn't really make sence. Teams need atleast 3-4 backs on the roster.

Including the 50+ Yarder Andrew Luck threw to him on his 1st ever NFL Pass for a TD right? Yep, Donald drops every pass. I totally agree with you

Are you actually using a 2-yard checkdown as a mesaure of Donald Brown's hands? I have never seen anything from him to indicate that he is a strong pass catcher.

Hmm and this would be a post that I spoke about in the Jerry Hughes thread that defies logic or reason considering he has 56 catches in his career (in 15 starts by the way) and 553 yards not to mention you do know he play rb right? hes not going to catch 50-60+ plus balls per season, 

He runs very well after the catch, even better than when he is coming out of the backfield, but anyone with a full compliment of fingers and thumbs can catch a checkdown. But with some people talking about these WCO plays that do not just involve checkdowns, and require him to catch further down field or in traffic... have you seen anything to suggest he has goods hands?

He runs very well after the catch, even better than when he is coming out of the backfield, but anyone with a full compliment of fingers and thumbs can catch a checkdown. But with some people talking about these WCO plays that do not just involve checkdowns, and require him to catch further down field or in traffic... have you seen anything to suggest he has goods hands?

I have actually seen Ballard make catches out of the backfield and in traffic but I cannot recall Brown making these types of catches. Brown has caught a few check downs and turned them into big gains. Ballard had a nice catch in the backfield and scored on the corksrew TD play.

Overall, I think that Donald Brown will be with the team next year and will be more productive. He and Ballard will share carries, but I think that Ballard will receive the bigger workload.

You asked for ANYTHING, and I am providing it to you.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d812d3096/NFLTA-Colts-vs-Dolphins-Highlights

Watch at the 0:53 second mark where Peyton catches Donald Brown streaking down the sideline and hits him in stride, DB does enough and gets out of bounds

Maybe it is 3 years old but I still think we can tap into his pass catching a little more than we have in the past, IMO.

You asked for ANYTHING, and I am providing it to you.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d812d3096/NFLTA-Colts-vs-Dolphins-Highlights

Watch at the 0:53 second mark where Peyton catches Donald Brown streaking down the sideline and hits him in stride, DB does enough and gets out of bounds

Maybe it is 3 years old but I still think we can tap into his pass catching a little more than we have in the past, IMO.

Yeah fair enough. Fairly routine catch into his chest but he did really well do get open, which I don't doubt he has the ability to do. I still haven't seen his ability to make real catches though, which I actually think is huge for him because he is so effective when he gets a few yards beyond the line of scrimmage, he's a great runner is space.

Yeah fair enough. Fairly routine catch into his chest but he did really well do get open, which I don't doubt he has the ability to do. I still haven't seen his ability to make real catches though, which I actually think is huge for him because he is so effective when he gets a few yards beyond the line of scrimmage, he's a great runner is space.

Unfortunately, from 2009 onwards when DB was drafted, our O-line started going south and Addai & Brown were both in pass protection duties more often than in the flat catching checkdowns. Remember in 2006, during our SB run, Addai catching all those checkdowns and setting a SB record for catches. We had an O-line of 5 that could hold Peyton upright enough that our RB could release more often than not. Addai's number was called more for catches too.

Plus, with Arians and Luck last year, it took a few games before our RBs' names were called for enough catches. I do think a combination of playcalling and O-line factors have reduced possibilities for pass catching by our RBs.

When the sample space is real small, we never get to observe what CAN happen consistently, IMO. But like others alluded, DB needs to first stay healthy to show us what he can do consistently.

Unfortunately, from 2009 onwards when DB was drafted, our O-line started going south and Addai & Brown were both in pass protection duties more often than in the flat catching checkdowns. Remember in 2006, during our SB run, Addai catching all those checkdowns and setting a SB record for catches. We had an O-line of 5 that could hold Peyton upright enough that our RB could release more often than not. Addai's number was called more for catches too.

Plus, with Arians and Luck last year, it took a few games before our RBs' names were called for enough catches. I do think a combination of playcalling and O-line factors have reduced possibilities for pass catching by our RBs.

When the sample space is real small, we never get to observe what CAN happen consistently, IMO. But like others alluded, DB needs to first stay healthy to show us what he can do consistently.

I agree 100%, I think a lot of Brown's value this upcoming year relies on his ability to be 3/4th option receiver (if he proves he is capable of doing so), it would give our offense a lot more versatility similar to how the Patriots use their RB's, who of course play behind one of the best o-lines in football.

I definitely see a third RB coming in and contributing because versatility and different looks seems to be the name of the game for Hamilton, judging by his presser anyway.

Are you actually using a 2-yard checkdown as a mesaure of Donald Brown's hands? I have never seen anything from him to indicate that he is a strong pass catcher.

So then your ignoring his 55 other receptions in 50 career starts? The only question I have about him is how he will bounce back and his durability concern not anything about his ability, we have not at any point had a decent O Line since he was drafted 

No matter the distance, it's still a catch. The poster I quoted said he dropped EVERY pass.

I am the poster and it was such a ridiculous thing to say that I just shook my head.  I was only a receiver in high school, but I still know a thing or 2 about catching a ball and he does NOT have good hands.  But that's up to Hamilton, so we'll see.

Some of you are mutch more patient than I,you cant stay on the Field consistently I  dont want you on the team.Granted everyone gets hurt but not every year,and some injuries you gotta play thru

I completely agree. As Tony Dungy once said, "The greatest ability is availability." Donald has not shown the ability to consistently stay healthy. Additionally, his other abilities are not strong enough to continue warranting myriad chances to stick. Although I do believe he deserves one more chance (Ok you got me, he doesn't deserve one more chance. We just have more pressing needs, which will allow him to dodge the bullett), it should be interesting to see if he can improve behind a revamped offensive line.  

I completely agree. As Tony Dungy once said, "The greatest ability is availability." Donald has not shown the ability to consistently stay healthy. Additionally, his other abilities are not strong enough to continue warranting myriad chances to stick. Although I do believe he deserves one more chance (Ok you got me, he doesn't deserve one more chance. We just have more pressing needs, which will allow him to dodge the bullett), it should be interesting to see if he can improve behind a revamped offensive line.  

If he gets the chance

He does not deserve a shot behind a competent O Line? your running back is as good as your O Line is unless your name is Barry Sanders 

So then your ignoring his 55 other receptions in 50 career starts? The only question I have about him is how he will bounce back and his durability concern not anything about his ability, we have not at any point had a decent O Line since he was drafted 

You are purposely misconstruing what I say to make your point...

I was making the point that that was a pretty irrelevant example of Brown's catching prowess given that it was a 2-yard check down. I've watched every game that Brown has played for the Colts, and would never consider him a strong pass catcher, and that is not because he isn't, it's because there is little evidence of it. The reason I think it is relevant is that his greatest strength is his ability to get YAC. I don't have stats on it but i would bet it is much more impressive than has average yards per rush.

I believe this new offense will ask for a lot more from Brown than just rushing, Ballard will probably be the primary rusher. I like Brown, but he needs to do more to convince me that he will be a good contributor to this team next year.