Where does Donald Brown fit in a WCO?

chad72

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The real question is "Will Donald Brown be on this Team when FA is over?"

Base salary of 1.7, cap hit 2.7. I don't know, given what they told Collie, wouldn't they have said the same to Brown if they were letting him go?

I really don't know the answer, I'm just guessing that if he's healthy he stays with the team.

Base salary of 1.7, cap hit 2.7. I don't know, given what they told Collie, wouldn't they have said the same to Brown if they were letting him go?

I really don't know the answer, I'm just guessing that if he's healthy he stays with the team.

Remains to be seen. Quite a few people on this forum think he's leaving. It's up in the air at this point.

And Collie was let go so early probably cause they already had their mind made up during the season. Still plenty of time before FA actually begins

Remains to be seen. Quite a few people on this forum think he's leaving. It's up in the air at this point.

And Collie was let go so early probably cause they already had their mind made up during the season. Still plenty of time before FA actually begins

You may be right, Collie (and DF) are UFAs, while Brown is still under contract. I don't think you can release a guy under contract yet, but I could be wrong. Personally I think a healthy Brown is value added in the WCO.

BTW, we haven't officially released AC or DF, right? They were just told they wouldn't be re-signed. That way we can get compensation for them in next draft.

You may be right, Collie (and DF) are UFAs, while Brown is still under contract. I don't think you can release a guy under contract yet, but I could be wrong. Personally I think a healthy Brown is value added in the WCO.

BTW, we haven't officially released AC or DF, right? They were just told they wouldn't be re-signed. That way we can get compensation for them in next draft.

Yeah. We just told them they won't be re-signed. But I think Brown would do well in this offense. He has decent hands and I think when healthy (that's the key) he could be that change of Pace back instead of us drafting Stephon Taylor from Stanford like a few people think we will

Yeah. We just told them they won't be re-signed. But I think Brown would do well in this offense. He has decent hands and I think when healthy (that's the key) he could be that change of Pace back instead of us drafting Stephon Taylor from Stanford like a few people think we will

Maybe RB catches will get more frequent than under BA's system. I am in the same boat as you, I always felt DB could run more routes like the wheel routes that RBs run (the one Shane Vereen caught a TD in the Pats playoff game vs Texans, the one Moreno caught a TD in the Broncos playoff game vs Ravens, the one Dom Rhodes caught for the game winning TD in the 2008 road Steelers game). I just wish his number is called with those kinds of plays more often.

Any idea what that $815,000 Misc Bonus is for for Brown in 2013?

We are Desperate for an Explosive, fast 2nd back to complement Ballard. They WILL draft one.

Trade brown to Green Bay for a 2nd. ;)

With RBC so prevalent in the league, I doubt you will get anything more than a 5th or 6th for DB. I know you were joking there :).

Maybe RB catches will get more frequent than under BA's system. I am in the same boat as you, I always felt DB could run more routes like the wheel routes that RBs run (the one Shane Vereen caught a TD in the Pats playoff game vs Texans, the one Moreno caught a TD in the Broncos playoff game vs Ravens, the one Dom Rhodes caught for the game winning TD in the 2008 road Steelers game). I just wish his number is called with those kinds of plays more often.

Those plays are all part of the WCO. And the RB's will be the check downs quite often in this offense. It's just up to Luck if he checks it down instead of forcing something to Reggie

If I'm not mistaken, DB was projected to be best suited in a man blocking scheme. This made his pick a little curious at the time. Since we are moving to a man power blocking scheme, DB seems like a nice fit. He should be able to hit the whole and make a cut, which is his running style. He will be on the team this year, and he will get a chance to make an impact. DB and Ballard were essentially the same players last year based on YPC and success rate...

I didn't see where he had good hands. He dropped every pass I ever saw thrown to him.

I know the ones you are talking about. The quick outs towards the sidelines where he looked to run before he caught the ball, there were a couple of them, more concentration issues than hands issues, IMO.

The ones I liked were a catch before halftime in the 15 min. time of possession MNF game vs Dolphins in 2009 further down the sidelines to set up a Vinny FG before the half, the screen pass from Luck in pre-season etc. - I just do not think his pass catching abilities have been tapped into as much.

Besides, most of the time with Peyton, he was protecting Peyton while we were passing two-thirds of the time because we could not run or with Luck, BA had him chucking deep (or maybe it was Luck not taking checkdowns, not sure). :)

I didn't see where he had good hands. He dropped every pass I ever saw thrown to him.

Hmm and this would be a post that I spoke about in the Jerry Hughes thread that defies logic or reason considering he has 56 catches in his career (in 15 starts by the way) and 553 yards not to mention you do know he play rb right? hes not going to catch 50-60+ plus balls per season, 

If I'm not mistaken, DB was projected to be best suited in a man blocking scheme. This made his pick a little curious at the time. Since we are moving to a man power blocking scheme, DB seems like a nice fit. He should be able to hit the whole and make a cut, which is his running style. He will be on the team this year, and he will get a chance to make an impact. DB and Ballard were essentially the same players last year based on YPC and success rate...

Yep. Which is why I believe he'll be that change of pace back. Ballard wears the Defense down with his power running, then Brown just outruns them all haha it's beautiful

Brown may not start although Ballard did not win the job outright in my opinion last year but if he does not start you can bet Pep knows the kind of weapon Brown can be behind a good O Line and when he gets out in the open, This not a post to "stick up" for Brown because he does have his faults but at the same time we are not getting anywhere close to an idea of what he can do considering our O Line, we all saw what he can do when the "blue sea" as I call our O Linemen parts he can take it for a quick score any play, not to mention he can get you the tough yards, The knock I have on him is 2 things

1.He does not show alot of wiggle when he gets a hole to run through (More of a straight line runner)

2.Arm tackles tend to take him down more often then not,

I think Ballard could easily win the job next year but it was not won this past year alone in my opinion 

Brown is the back-up...   but he should be an effective complimentary back...    his main issue appears to be staying healthy over 16 games...

We keep him one more year...   see how he fits in the new offense...  if he does -- great.    And if he doesn't,   we won't re-sign him for 2014.

Letting go of a fast RB who's a good fit on the indoor carpet and hoping to find another who's just as good is a waste of time and energy, IMO.

He's the back-up for one more....    then we can figure out everything else....

Donald Brown is under contract through 2013. Austin Collie is a free agent. The Colts didn't release Collie, they simply informed him that they won't be re-signing him.

The team would have to release Brown a year early, and despite the fact that he hasn't lived up to his draft position, I don't think they are interesting in getting rid of him. He could easily be outproduced in camp and get cut at the deadline, but I'm relatively certain he'll be on the roster through the offseason.

He will hopefully find himself as the back up to Ballard for the season and then we can let him walk next season.  Brown is a serviceable back for now.  He is not bad, but he is not a great back and he never will be.  He is not that expensive so I say lets see what he can do in a contract year.

I love Ballard, but no way do I want Delone Fumbler Carter as his full time back up either.  Brown might not be the greatest RB out there but he holds onto the ball and has some decent speed in the open field.

Hmm and this would be a post that I spoke about in the Jerry Hughes thread that defies logic or reason considering he has 56 catches in his career (in 15 starts by the way) and 553 yards not to mention you do know he play rb right? hes not going to catch 50-60+ plus balls per season, 

Hey, he said he dropped every pass HE saw thrown to him.  Maybe he only saw a couple plays.  Or maybe the smoke monster got to him.

He will hopefully find himself as the back up to Ballard for the season and then we can let him walk next season.  Brown is a serviceable back for now.  He is not bad, but he is not a great back and he never will be.  He is not that expensive so I say lets see what he can do in a contract year.

I love Ballard, but no way do I want Delone Fumbler Carter as his full time back up either.  Brown might not be the greatest RB out there but he holds onto the ball and has some decent speed in the open field.

Ballard has 1 less fumble then Carter does, The difference? Ballard has 78 more carries already then Carter 

You haven't bothered to look at Ballards 3.9 ypc have you or his pass block ability or to this point lack thereof,

Because he wasn't talking about Ballard. But now that you mention it, Ballard averaged over 4 yards per carry in all of the games he started and hadn't missed a single play due to injury. And he's cheaper.

I ALWAYS wanted Donald to get a chance. And he has YET to play behind an even Decent run blocking Line.

Gavin made a point that got thru my sometimes thick head. Brown is a straight ahead runner. I knew that!

Exactly why I DON`T like his game because there are often holes right beside him and he just plows into whatever is ahead of him. HE SUCKS.

Back to Gavins good point. With Quality run blockers ahead of him, there Will Be some REAL Gaps for him to hit and clear, and yes he will be able to make a cut into that space. A SOLID likelihood for him to get a considerable # of 5+++ yard runs. I see that now.

So lets get a couple of ROAD GRADERS for all our RB`s to feed off of!! Go Colts!

Because he wasn't talking about Ballard. But now that you mention it, Ballard averaged over 4 yards per carry in all of the games he started and hadn't missed a single play due to injury. And he's cheaper.

I phrased this poorly. Ballard's average yards per carry in the games he's started was over 4. He didn't average over 4 in every game.