Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where does Donald Brown fit in a WCO?

chad72

You are purposely misconstruing what I say to make your point...

I was making the point that that was a pretty irrelevant example of Brown's catching prowess given that it was a 2-yard check down. I've watched every game that Brown has played for the Colts, and would never consider him a strong pass catcher, and that is not because he isn't, it's because there is little evidence of it. The reason I think it is relevant is that his greatest strength is his ability to get YAC. I don't have stats on it but i would bet it is much more impressive than has average yards per rush.

I believe this new offense will ask for a lot more from Brown than just rushing, Ballard will probably be the primary rusher. I like Brown, but he needs to do more to convince me that he will be a good contributor to this team next year.

The bolded is probably true of every NFL back. The majority of their receptions come on screens and dumpoffs, and they usually have room to run afterward.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYardsAfterCatch

I personally don't think we've done enough over the past two years to include the backs in the passing game. Brown's playing time has been limited during his time here, for several reasons, so he hasn't had a lot of touches in the passing game. But he has shown an ability to gain yardage in the passing game, as you mentioned. If we were to design more of those opportunities, I think it would put all of our backs in better position.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the issue with Brown being the primary rusher is that Hamilton's system is associating predominantly with power backs. Toby Gerhart and Stepfan Taylor are certainly proof of this.

Could any Stanford fans give any insight into any situational or change of pace backs that Stanford used that didn't fit this mold?