Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson told Kravitz this about the free agent market this offseason...

chad72

...that the deepest position in free agency is Cornerback. I heard that on 1070 AM The Fan on the JMV show.

With Asomugha, Mike Jenkins, Brent Grimes, Cary Williams, Keenan Lewis etc. all available in free agency, and Darius Butler shining, the writing may be on the wall for Jerraud Powers, according to Kravitz, and I agree.

...that the deepest position in free agency is Cornerback. I heard that on 1070 AM The Fan on the JMV show.

With Asomugha, Mike Jenkins, Brent Grimes, Cary Williams, Keenan Lewis etc. all available in free agency, and Darius Butler shining, the writing may be on the wall for Jerraud Powers, according to Kravitz, and I agree.

Well then....    I'll go out on a limb and predict that Grigson believes he can sign a corner he likes......

Almost a month away from the beginning of shopping season....   

On your marks....      get set.....       BUY!!!

Couldn't agree more, I think Powers is going to get the big old gong.

Wait, Asomugha's out?

That's awesome.   :rulez:  :rulez:

I would definately be in the market for a nice corner in his prime. Secondary and Offensive line should be a priority in free agency. Let us just take the best player available in the draft so we don't have to reach to fill positions. I hope we buy early too...jump on the market and get some people signed before bidding wars start as the market shrinks.

Powers isn't a bad corner, he's just suited more for the Cover 2 than man coverage.  So he may be out but I expect if he lands somewhere else and manages to stay healthy he will turn some heads kinda like Tim Jennings did after leaving Indy. 

I wouldn't be surprised if either Cary Williams or Mike Jenkins was wearing the "Shoe" next year.  I don't really think we'll go after a big name corner.  They will want too much money and we have plenty of other needs that we need to throw cash towards. 

Asomugha could work here in Indy....coming off that disaster in Philly he can't demand top dollar. I heard a good description of why he went from one of the top CBs in the game to burnt toast. (paraphrasing) Philly misused him terribly. He is a man corner that likes press coverage. The Eagles had him playing zone a ton. He lost his confidence and things just went downhill from there. He is a smart player, too smart, and the snowball in Philly just rolled him up. A change of scenery and schemes would do him well. Well our scheme is a lot more man coverage than zone, and starting him opposite Davis would make for a devastating tandem if he can return to form. Again, I don't think he can demand the $$$ he could before, being older and having fallen off a cliff in terms of performance while in Philly. Just my thoughts...

Asomugha could work here in Indy....coming off that disaster in Philly he can't demand top dollar. I heard a good description of why he went from one of the top CBs in the game to burnt toast. (paraphrasing) Philly misused him terribly. He is a man corner that likes press coverage. The Eagles had him playing zone a ton. 

According to this website: http://nflsfuture.com/2012/03/28/team-by-team-offensivedefensive-schemes/ it says that we play a zone defense. 

Well if we sign a top CB to go along with V.Davis & Butler, could we bring back Powers as a dime back?

In this pass happy league you can never have too much depth at CB.

Rather release him, just doesn't fit our scheme and has very minimal skills

I agree that we should think about depth, and a 3rd CB is very important But I'm not too sure we're burdened with the "pass happy league" problem. From what I can see of our schedule next year, the only really pass happy teams would be Denver, San Diego, and St. Louis. 

Well if we sign a top CB to go along with V.Davis & Butler, could we bring back Powers as a dime back?

Could we bring Powers back as a dime?    Sure.    But we'd likely want to pay him as that.

And I suspect Powers sees himself as a starter,  certainly no less than a nickel corner...    He'll want a much bigger contract than I suspect we'd be willing to offer....

Doesn't seem to be a good fit....    but, as long as the Colts haven't said we're parting ways with him as we just did with Freeney and Collie, then I suppose there's still a chance...

We're signing Brent grimes or Cary Williams. Bet on it. Not saying that's who I want, but those are the most affordable good corners. Anyone else is going to break our pockets.

I wouldn't count out Mike Jenkins. He's probably the most affordable and Grigson wanted him last season.

We're signing Brent grimes or Cary Williams. Bet on it. Not saying that's who I want, but those are the most affordable good corners. Anyone else is going to break our pockets.

I'd love Brent Grimes. I do think he is a better corner than Cary Williams and did not get to showcase his abilities due to injury. He is tenacious, just like Vontae Davis and it would make it hard to throw on us if Darius Butler is on the inside and Vontae and Grimes on the outside. Butler has the speed and short space quickness to deal with quicks in the middle. However, big TEs like Gronk will still be a mismatch. That is where we need a Polamalu like safety, IMO, one that is big like a strong safety but can keep up with Gronk in coverage because no LB is going to be able to keep up. However, nowadays, the norm is FS bodies playing SS because of TE coverage responsibilities.

hahah oh god.. very minimal skills hahaha..he's not great but you always talkin like you some top 10 corner in the league... kill it

No I just prefer talented players on my team over depth players pretending they belong on the field, Powers is so good Darius Butler came right in as a Nickel Back and in only 8 games this 1st season as a Colt had 2 less....I repeat....2 less picks then Powers does in his entire career as a Colt which spans 40 games, 32 of which are starts, Powers does have minimal skills, He does not have much range to cover alot of ground fast, very minimal instincts to jump a route to make a play on the ball, what he does do a decent job of though is tackling, He is better suited for a Cover 2 team 

Williams- good physical corner,knows Chuck's system but he can get into trouble and his only INTs have come in his contract year ( coincidence perhaps?)

Grimes- very talented CB but can get injured a lot and seems to me a more zone based CB

Jenkins- has in the past shown he is a good CB but has had injury problems in the past.

Lewis- looks like he has potential but only 1 INT in his career is alarming despite starting a full season

Rodgers Cromartie- did better out of him and Nnamdi and can keep up with some WRs but sometimes got burnt 

Asomugha- Struggled in Philly and age plays huge factor, but he could bring experience to people like Butler or Teddy Williams, also here he will be in his element ( man to man)

Conclusion: Grigson is right in saying CB FA class is deep this year. If I had my way, I would sign and trade away powers ( couple of picks from a zone based team?), resign Butler, if he is released sign Asomugha for a close to Vet min contract and sign a Safety like Jairus Byrd or Dashon Goldson. I would also consider drafting someone like Adrian Bushell or Tyrann Mathieu for depth. so our secondary will look like this and we will definitely have a top 5 passing D next year:

CB1-Davis

CB2-Asomugha

NCB-Butler

FS-Bethea

SS-Byrd/Goldson

Backups:Teddy Williams,Bushell/Mathieu, Lefeged,Zibby, Sergio Brown, Josh Gordy.

Williams- good physical corner,knows Chuck's system but he can get into trouble and his only INTs have come in his contract year ( coincidence perhaps?)

Grimes- very talented CB but can get injured a lot and seems to me a more zone based CB

Jenkins- has in the past shown he is a good CB but has had injury problems in the past.

Lewis- looks like he has potential but only 1 INT in his career is alarming despite starting a full season

Rodgers Cromartie- did better out of him and Nnamdi and can keep up with some WRs but sometimes got burnt

Asomugha- Struggled in Philly and age plays huge factor, but he could bring experience to people like Butler or Teddy Williams, also here he will be in his element ( man to man)

Conclusion: Grigson is right in saying CB FA class is deep this year. If I had my way, I would sign and trade away powers ( couple of picks from a zone based team?), resign Butler, if he is released sign Asomugha for a close to Vet min contract and sign a Safety like Jairus Byrd or Dashon Goldson. I would also consider drafting someone like Adrian Bushell or Tyrann Mathieu for depth. so our secondary will look like this and we will definitely have a top 5 passing D next year:

CB1-Davis

CB2-Asomugha

NCB-Butler

FS-Bethea

SS-Byrd/Goldson

Backups:Teddy Williams,Bushell/Mathieu, Lefeged,Zibby, Sergio Brown, Josh Gordy.

I don't think anyone is going to give us anything for Powers. Even if he was worth a late round pick (which I don't think he is)... most teams probably suspect we will cut him and just wait.

No I just prefer talented players on my team over depth players pretending they belong on the field, Powers is so good Darius Butler came right in as a Nickel Back and in only 8 games this 1st season as a Colt had 2 less....I repeat....2 less picks then Powers does in his entire career as a Colt which spans 40 games, 32 of which are starts, Powers does have minimal skills, He does not have much range to cover alot of ground fast, very minimal instincts to jump a route to make a play on the ball, what he does do a decent job of though is tackling, He is better suited for a Cover 2 team

Also don't forget Powers is constantly broken it seems.

why would they be "affordable"? they are probably the better CB on the market and Cary is young he is looking to get paid...

i woudlnt mind Brent, im kind of "meh" with Cary...the one i really hope we get is keenan lewis but who knos, i can see grigsson going for either of the 2 you mention

why would they be "affordable"? they are probably the better CB on the market and Cary is young he is looking to get paid...i woudlnt mind Brent, im kind of "meh" with Cary...the one i really hope we get is keenan lewis but who knos, i can see grigsson going for either of the 2 you mention

Because they aren't really big names. Just names that are known. Yeah they're looking to get paid because they are good, but not nnamdi paid. We gotta pay something if we want talent. Can't be cheap.

Ok Coach, thanks for your input! 

Assuming he is released, nnamdi will definitely be on our radar more than any other corner. Of all the CBs, he is the one who is not only linked with grigs (philly) but if I recall correctly, he also achieved his best season with chuck as secondary coach in oakland. If he is release, I will personally give up all the amount of money in my account ( which is about 10 pounds but still you get the gist)to get him into opposite davis.