Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts looking at Jennings

bobourret

I would have a problem with it if signing him would mean we didn't have money to address other needs but that won't be the case. the Colts can sign him and still have money to address other needs. I really didn't think the Packers would let him get away I was wrong. I would welcome a WR as next year will probably be Reggie's last as a Colt one way or another so we will need a future number one. Jennings will fit that bill. We also probably only have three proven WRs coming back so the Colts are going to have to get one some place.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasnt bashing TY in any way... I was just saying he is more of a slot WR.  You know, the kind who need speed and good hands lol

Np,I see him as the Marvin Harrison type that can do both,but with a little more speed,and in all honesty think we will see a big dose of Whalen

I dont think that posters get mad about adding a WR as much as having every player that comes available becoming the new thread whether they are likely or not. I think Jennings has been discussed on more than one occasion as well.

Agents leak 'plausible" information to raise the perceived need of their client. I believe that is the case here. i also believe that if the Colts were to shell out 7+large for a WR (very unlikely), it would be for a younger player.

I dont think that posters get mad about adding a WR as much as having every player that comes available becoming the new thread whether they are likely or not. I think Jennings has been discussed on more than one occasion as well.

Agents leak 'plausible" information to raise the perceived need of their client. I believe that is the case here. i also believe that if the Colts were to shell out 7+large for a WR (very unlikely), it would be for younger player.

Thank you!!! This is exactly right.

If you are talking about Harvin in your last sentence you better go higher than that. He was quoted as saying that he wants Megatron/Fitzgerald money. He's got a better shot at becoming president before he ever gets a deal similar to those two.

Yea , I was talking about Harvin. I've read both of these accountings for what Harvin is supossedly looking for. One was as you say , the other was as I posted. The funny thing is they both came from sources Roto News quoted on consecutive days. So I guess if we want to believe the "reports" it's upwards of 10 mill and as high as 15 mill a year. Who knows.....

I feel the exact same way. I have said repeatably that IMO people should get over their WR obsession that seems to run rampant on this forum. I agree that IF we do sign a WR in free agency it will be a low level guy that won't require a huge contract. I think Grigson is fairly satisfied with the WR's on the roster and will spend our money much more efficiently and wisely than IMO throwing a ton of it away for a position that isn't a huge need. Yes, we can always use upgrade's but that is a luxury and Luxury spending shouldn't even be in our vocabulary this offseason. That is more for teams that are only a piece or 2 away from a complete roster and we are nowhere near a complete roster at this point in time.

For sure correct. Grigson did the right thing last year and gave Luck the 2 TE's and 2 Wr's to be sure he had enoug targets. Don't forget that we had Austin Collie on the roster also. We now have monster holes that need to be filled. At least 2 offensive lineman , a starting caliber SS , a legitmate good no 2 CB and a replacement for Freeney. No way you can count on more than one 2013 starter picking 24th with 5 total picks. So we have probably have to figure at least 4 spots ( 5-1 from the draft)  that are manned by NFL caliber back - ups. Spending 7-8 mill a year on a guy like Jennings would be just as you say... a luxury. I can't begin to really say how far off these people that like this idea are without being insulting. You have no running game , a once in a life time player getting blasted on every other drop back and gaping holes in you defense. So what's the remedy ? Go spend a big chunk of money on Greg Jennings. 

Our Colts have a considerable amount of money they can use for contracts written such that can be terminated after 1-2 years.

So a Gifted Veteran WR IMO will considered. Yes, one that can catch in traffic,take a hit. Health and Value RULE. So No on Jennings.

Bowe is Not the guy I want to Lock in for 5 years at $10M+.

I think you Draft your guy. Develope and Evaluate what we have for one more season while maintaining lots of CAP $$$ for shots at the next few FA years.

Probably one of Palmer, Whalen, Brazzill will be hurt by final cut.

Smurfs have Short Arms in traffic.

Also believe Brazil is more talented than some think

I've been saying this since we drafted him. Yes, he's still a little unpolished but I think he's got a higher ceiling than TY. I look for Brazill to be our Victor Cruz here soon, even though Cruz went undrafted, but I think a lot of people are sleeping on him again much like Cruz. I still say Brazill is the darkhorse of the group and is going to really shine in the next year or two.

For sure correct. Grigson did the right thing last year and gave Luck the 2 TE's and 2 Wr's to be sure he had enoug targets. Don't forget that we had Austin Collie on the roster also. We now have monster holes that need to be filled. At least 2 offensive lineman , a starting caliber SS , a legitmate good no 2 CB and a replacement for Freeney. No way you can count on more than one 2013 starter picking 24th with 5 total picks. So we have probably have to figure at least 4 spots ( 5-1 from the draft)  that are manned by NFL caliber back - ups. Spending 7-8 mill a year on a guy like Jennings would be just as you say... a luxury. I can't begin to really say how far off these people that like this idea are without being insulting. You have no running game , a once in a life time player getting blasted on every other drop back and gaping holes in you defense. So what's the remedy ? Go spend a big chunk of money on Greg Jennings. 

I agree and I also don't understand the thinking of spending a huge chunk of change on a luxury player. Makes no sense to me what so ever, but I guess we all have different ways of thinking.

Yea , I was talking about Harvin. I've read both of these accountings for what Harvin is supossedly looking for. One was as you say , the other was as I posted. The funny thing is they both came from sources Roto News quoted on consecutive days. So I guess if we want to believe the "reports" it's upwards of 10 mill and as high as 15 mill a year. Who knows.....

I read the report on NFL.com and just laughed. Megatron/Fitzgerald money? haha.. He will be MUCH closer to 10MIL, if he's lucky, than 15MIL and I'd make a a heavy wager on that. No doubt the kid has talent, but not THAT kind of talent.

Three years, $20-25m is reasonable money for what would be a very good #2 receiver at 29 years old. And Jennings would immediately improve our receiving corps. And I'd prefer to add Jennings at that price over signing someone like Bowe for five years, $50m+.

But I would rather see us draft a guy with size and athleticism who could grow into that role. Not that it has to be either/or, but that would be my preference.

My Main thing is Jennings would b a perfect fit in our new wco system which in part could make him a reasonable pick up.. Contrary to popular belief we are not set at receiver. Reggie, ty,Collie if healthy is reliable outside of those three we have no sure fire receivers. As i wouldn't b against Jennings joining the horseshoe, we have maybe 2 reliable o-lineman, no strong safety, 1 corner which means these positions are needs and should be heavy on our list

I agree and I also don't understand the thinking of spending a huge chunk of change on a luxury player. Makes no sense to me what so ever, but I guess we all have different ways of thinking.

I disagree with the classification of Jennings as a "luxury player." I'm not even sure what that means. A luxury player is a top notch backup quarterback.

We're not hurting at receiver, but we're not flying high either. As it stands now, Hilton would be our #2, and as much as I like him (I liked him before the draft; I'm a T.Y. fan), Jennings is better. He's a better route runner, he has better hands, he's bigger, and he's proven and productive. He'd be a legitimate #2, would take pressure off of Reggie, and would allow Hilton to remain the #3 receiver, the wild-card, punt returner option, etc.

Guys like Brazill and Whalen are promising, but they are better served to round out the corps than to be relied on for production. And if we had to choose between Jennings at the money he's asking for and Avery at less than half of that, I'd rather have Jennings. Avery is limited, as we all knew, and while he has elite speed, he doesn't finish plays down the field with enough frequency to really be a threat. I'd love it if Austin Collie could be relied on, but he can't, and I doubt we even resign him. If he plays next year, I'd say it's likely he winds up with Denver.

Again, I'd rather draft a guy -- if we traded down and got Robert Woods and an extra fourth rounder, I'd be happy. But it's not a bad idea to add a veteran receiver who knows how to produce in the NFL.

I know this will make a lot of people mad on this forum because they hate when we talk about adding WR's 

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport mentions the Rams, Colts, Vikings, and Dolphins as potential landing spots for free agent Greg Jennings.

The Rams, Colts, and Vikings are new teams to be linked to Jennings, but the Dolphins have long been associated with the 29-year-old. "All other 31 teams are an option," Jennings said Wednesday. Jennings won't approach Vincent Jackson money (five years, $55 million), but he could command $7-9 million a year from a receiver-needy club. He can also play in the slot and outside, making Jennings more appealing to teams that like "move" receivers.

The thing I would have to ask myself is, is Jennings that much better than Reggie? IDK what they gave Reggie last year but 7-9 mil seems like a lot of $ for a reciever who isnt named Calvin Johnson.

OK, I looked it up. Reggie got a 3 yr 17.5 million deal last year. In my opinion Jennings is not in Reggie's league. Not far behind but would have a hard time giving Jennings that kind of $

The thing I would have to ask myself is, is Jennings that much better than Reggie? IDK what they gave Reggie last year but 7-9 mil seems like a lot of $ for a reciever who isnt named Calvin Johnson.

OK, I looked it up. Reggie got a 3 yr 17.5 million deal last year. In my opinion Jennings is not in Reggie's league. Not far behind but would have a hard time giving Jennings that kind of $

We got a hometown discount for Reggie, and he's five years older.

Take a look at this site to get a better idea of what receivers in the NFL make. Just an example: Garcon got $8.5m/year from the Redskins.

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/wide-receiver/

I disagree with the classification of Jennings as a "luxury player." I'm not even sure what that means. A luxury player is a top notch backup quarterback.

We're not hurting at receiver, but we're not flying high either. As it stands now, Hilton would be our #2, and as much as I like him (I liked him before the draft; I'm a T.Y. fan), Jennings is better. He's a better route runner, he has better hands, he's bigger, and he's proven and productive. He'd be a legitimate #2, would take pressure off of Reggie, and would allow Hilton to remain the #3 receiver, the wild-card, punt returner option, etc.

Guys like Brazill and Whalen are promising, but they are better served to round out the corps than to be relied on for production. And if we had to choose between Jennings at the money he's asking for and Avery at less than half of that, I'd rather have Jennings. Avery is limited, as we all knew, and while he has elite speed, he doesn't finish plays down the field with enough frequency to really be a threat. I'd love it if Austin Collie could be relied on, but he can't, and I doubt we even resign him. If he plays next year, I'd say it's likely he winds up with Denver.

Again, I'd rather draft a guy -- if we traded down and got Robert Woods and an extra fourth rounder, I'd be happy. But it's not a bad idea to add a veteran receiver who knows how to produce in the NFL.

What I mean as a "luxury" signing.....is that WR isn't a position that we are so depleted at that we must go out and sign a high dollar WR. Yes, Jennings is going to be cheaper than Bowe, Wallace, and Harvin, but is still going to cost quite a bit more than a few million per yr..

What I can't seem to get through to others is that if we listed the positions that were in far more need of upgrading than WR it would be a long list. It could be reasonably argued that we need 3 O-lineman, 2 DE's, OLBer, 2 CB's, NT, and a SS more than we need another WR.

Yeah, WR could use an upgrade, but everyone of those positions I listed IMO are more important. If Grigson agreed that those positions all needed filled or upgraded then it doesn't make sense IMO to spend money on a position that isn't in need of immediate upgrade.

I know we won't go out buy all those positions this yr., but I think teams use free agency to fill holes on the roster more than they do to  sign luxury players. The draft is used to get guys that can upgrade positions for the future. This yr. for us, it will have to be a combination of both because so many holes have to be filled.

Grigson will have to determine what needs to fill with veterans to instantly upgrade the roster and what one's can be filled with a draft pick because we have time to develop a rookie at that position. IMO WR can wait for a rookie to develop, while others almost certainly can not wait.  I don't know if I'm explaining myself as well as I would like, but hopefully you get the jest.

What I mean as a "luxury" signing.....is that WR isn't a position that we are so depleted at that we must go out and sign a high dollar WR. Yes, Jennings is going to be cheaper than Bowe, Wallace, and Harvin, but is still going to cost quite a bit more than a few million per yr..

What I can't seem to get through to others is that if we listed the positions that were in far more need of upgrading than WR it would be a long list. It could be reasonably argued that we need 3 O-lineman, 2 DE's, OLBer, 2 CB's, NT, and a SS more than we need another WR.

Yeah, WR could use an upgrade, but everyone of those positions I listed IMO are more important. If Grigson agreed that those positions all needed filled or upgraded then it doesn't make sense IMO to spend money on a position that isn't in need of immediate upgrade.

I know we won't go out buy all those positions this yr., but I think teams use free agency to fill holes on the roster more than they do to  sign luxury players. The draft is used to get guys that can upgrade positions for the future. This yr. for us, it will have to be a combination of both because so many holes have to be filled.

Grigson will have to determine what needs to fill with veterans to instantly upgrade the roster and what one's can be filled with a draft pick because we have time to develop a rookie at that position. IMO WR can wait for a rookie to develop, while others almost certainly can not wait.  I don't know if I'm explaining myself as well as I would like, but hopefully you get the jest.

Well I agree that we're not depleted at receiver, but I don't think that's a good reason to not consider a possible upgrade. We're certainly not set at receiver, not the way some make it seem. I like our young guys, but adding a solid #2 receiver would make our offense a lot better.

I also agree that our roster needs at other positions are more glaring than any need to bolster our receiving corps. And given the potential we have at tight end, we ought to be able to make due with the pass catching options we currently have.

But that doesn't mean that we can't improve our standing at another position, if the money is right and the fit is right. I'm not campaigning for Jennings, I could take him or leave him, but I think the money and the fit are much better than someone like Bowe, Wallace or Harvin.

We have a lot of cap space, and we gave up our second round draft pick. I would like to see us address the positions you mentioned in free agency -- one lineman, maybe two, a corner, a strong safety, and an outside linebacker. Then give the guys we have on the roster a chance to fill the needs at DE and NT, and the additional corner and offensive line spots. So really I could see us adding two premiere free agents, two or three more second tier guys, and resigning 5-10 of our own guys (Moala, Butler, Fokou, McAfee, Tevaseu, Justice, Shipley, etc.)

Then we can go BPA in the draft, and maybe we get a potential starter or two for 2013 at a couple of those positions.

I wouldn't shy away from Jennings, but I wouldn't pick up the phone on the first day of free agency to call his agent. If he were still available a week or two in, after I've checked off a few of those other needs, I might check to see what he's looking for.

We got a hometown discount for Reggie, and he's five years older.

Take a look at this site to get a better idea of what receivers in the NFL make. Just an example: Garcon got $8.5m/year from the Redskins.

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/wide-receiver/

Well, we're talking about the Redskins. We all know they have made numerous stupid moves in FA. Garcon was not worth that kind of $ and would only have gotten it from the Redskins. The other salaries on that list are eye popping but it can be deceiving knowing that a lot of the contracts are backloaded and they sometimes factor in parts of their signing bonus in order to spread it out over a # of years.

here's my concern and I've said this in other posts. I'm all for getting weapons. But if you ignore the line of scrimmage or place a lower value on it, like it appeared that Polian did, then you have problems. you can't stop the run, you can't run, you cant rush the passer and you have trouble protecting the QB. so, like another poster said, if we can get him and still upgrade some other areas great but I don't want to see the LOS ignored like in the past.

Well I agree that we're not depleted at receiver, but I don't think that's a good reason to not consider a possible upgrade. We're certainly not set at receiver, not the way some make it seem. I like our young guys, but adding a solid #2 receiver would make our offense a lot better.

I also agree that our roster needs at other positions are more glaring than any need to bolster our receiving corps. And given the potential we have at tight end, we ought to be able to make due with the pass catching options we currently have.

But that doesn't mean that we can't improve our standing at another position, if the money is right and the fit is right. I'm not campaigning for Jennings, I could take him or leave him, but I think the money and the fit are much better than someone like Bowe, Wallace or Harvin.

We have a lot of cap space, and we gave up our second round draft pick. I would like to see us address the positions you mentioned in free agency -- one lineman, maybe two, a corner, a strong safety, and an outside linebacker. Then give the guys we have on the roster a chance to fill the needs at DE and NT, and the additional corner and offensive line spots. So really I could see us adding two premiere free agents, two or three more second tier guys, and resigning 5-10 of our own guys (Moala, Butler, Fokou, McAfee, Tevaseu, Justice, Shipley, etc.)

Then we can go BPA in the draft, and maybe we get a potential starter or two for 2013 at a couple of those positions.

I wouldn't shy away from Jennings, but I wouldn't pick up the phone on the first day of free agency to call his agent. If he were still available a week or two in, after I've checked off a few of those other needs, I might check to see what he's looking for.

To the bolded part.....I agree, but I would rather if we sign a WR, it be Ramses Barden for something like 4 yrs. 14-16 mil..

kinda contradicting... is TY our #2 or do we need a big strong type #2?

I think TY is fine at #2 WR. WR isn't an "Urgent" need right now. I don't see us making a splash at that Position this off-season. Probably next off-season though as our Ageless Wonder Reggie Wayne will be nearing Retirement

I think TY is fine at #2 WR. WR isn't an "Urgent" need right now. I don't see us making a splash at that Position this off-season. Probably next off-season though as our Ageless Wonder Reggie Wayne will be nearing Retirement

I agree! Haven't even looked to see what Wr's would be hitting the market next year. I don't think wr is as urgent as say oline

Depending on how the Colts choose to structure the deals of the Free Agents they sign, they could very well fill all gaping holes (let's say for the sake of arguement OLB, SS, CB, 2 OL) and still afford a high-end WR.

Personally I think it's next year's problem. Before Arians left I was big on Wallace coming because his sytem required 2 deep threats nearly every play and Wallace is perhaps the premier deep threat in the league, but given Hamilton's new system (what little we know of it anyway) I would imagine the TE's will be targeted much more which alleviates the need for another WR. Of course I would love another sure-fire WR but I believe if we do things right this off-season, we will be in a position to draft a WR 1st-round in next years draft, who hopefully will be our future #1.

Realistically we may only get 1 or 2 starters from this years draft, and due to the quality of depth of both pass rushers and interior linemen that will fall to us in the first, we should go there. A few cheap FA pick-ups to fill gaps like last year, 4 good FA signings, and suddenly this team is formidable.

Rome wasn't built in a day, take care of the holes and we will be competitive. Although if Grigson wants to get aggressive now, structure deals in a way that lets us do all of that and still get that one hallmark signing. Jennings is probably the pick of the bunch for me.

I am fine with either scenario, as long as in 2/3 years time we are not sitting $20 million over the cap like the Jets.

all I see is people complaining about how we need receivers because the others behind Reggie and Hilton aren't promising enough..wco will use short intermediate routes which would help our smerfs utilize their speed in which they can brought a hit and run type of player..also shouldn't criticize our receivers when the oline sucks once we fix that I'm pretty sure everyone will say how awesome our back up receivers are because luck finally has the TIME to throw the ball and for everyone downplaying Brazil you'll be surprised what he can do given more time to develop

Well, we're talking about the Redskins. We all know they have made numerous stupid moves in FA. Garcon was not worth that kind of $ and would only have gotten it from the Redskins. The other salaries on that list are eye popping but it can be deceiving knowing that a lot of the contracts are backloaded and they sometimes factor in parts of their signing bonus in order to spread it out over a # of years.

here's my concern and I've said this in other posts. I'm all for getting weapons. But if you ignore the line of scrimmage or place a lower value on it, like it appeared that Polian did, then you have problems. you can't stop the run, you can't run, you cant rush the passer and you have trouble protecting the QB. so, like another poster said, if we can get him and still upgrade some other areas great but I don't want to see the LOS ignored like in the past.

I agree with all that. We need to improve in the trenches. There are other needs far more important than a #2 receiver.

Also, the Redskins aren't a good marker for contract value. I said at the time that I think they overpaid for Garcon, but not so much that his contract is completely irrelevant. I thought he should have been in the $7m/year range. But just the same as Garcon's contract is high, Reggie's is low.

But when it comes to the average salaries, that's all that we're talking about so far. We're not talking about contract structure, front-loaded, back-loaded, cap hits, bonuses, etc. Jennings is reportedly looking for $7-9 a year, and some are scoffing at that as if it's out of whack with his market value. It's not. I think it's right in line. Maybe we shouldn't be the team giving it to him, but it's not unreasonable at all.