Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts looking at Jennings

bobourret

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the bolded part.....I agree, but I would rather if we sign a WR, it be Ramses Barden for something like 4 yrs. 14-16 mil..

That's because you have a crush on Ramses Barden. I get it; he's a promising prospect. But Jennings is a proven contributor. Jennings just had the worst year of his career, and he still out-produced all four years of Barden's career so far.

I wouldn't give Barden $3-4m/year at this point; his tools still haven't translated to production on the field. Maybe not his fault due to the depth chart, but you've got to show me more than 14 catches in 12 games if you want a multi-million, multi-year contract.

That's because you have a crush on Ramses Barden. I get it; he's a promising prospect. But Jennings is a proven contributor. Jennings just had the worst year of his career, and he still out-produced all four years of Barden's career so far.

I wouldn't give Barden $3-4m/year at this point; his tools still haven't translated to production on the field. Maybe not his fault due to the depth chart, but you've got to show me more than 14 catches in 12 games if you want a multi-million, multi-year contract.

:D I do like his size and bringing a different dimension to the WR corp.. That maybe a little too much money, but I have no problem him making less. IMO if we are going to bring in another WR, why not bring in a guy that has a much bigger stature than the rest of our receivers?(with the exception of Kelley). I did want the Colts to draft him a few yrs. ago but should have known better since Polian was doing the picking. He didn't exactly have a history of drafting big receivers.

:D I do like his size and bringing a different dimension to the WR corp.. That maybe a little too much money, but I have no problem him making less. IMO if we are going to bring in another WR, why not bring in a guy that has a much bigger stature than the rest of our receivers?(with the exception of Kelley). I did want the Colts to draft him a few yrs. ago but should have known better since Polian was doing the picking. He didn't exactly have a history of drafting big receivers.

Barden at two years, $3.5m, with a $500k bonus. But he's still an addition that churns the bottom three on our corps. Jennings would be an immediate upgrade to our top two. I don't even think they belong in the same conversation.

Edit: That's still too much for Barden, by the way. Avery signed for one year, $615k, with no bonus. He had the injuries, but he still had already been way more productive than Barden has been. We could probably cut that proposal for Barden in half.

Production is production, regardless of the skillset you exploit to achieve it. Jennings gets open as well as anyone in the league (that to me is the most important trait in a reciever), why would it matter if he is too much like reggie (even though I personally don't think they are similiar), they'll be at opposite sides of the field, and both will make plays.

Big stature guys are great for the red zone, but we have two TE's for that, and Reggie is a great jump catcher. Team aren't always in the redzone. We need to concentrate on getting there.

Production is production, regardless of the skillset you exploit to achieve it. Jennings gets open as well as anyone in the league (that to me is the most important trait in a reciever), why would it matter if he is too much like reggie (even though I personally don't think they are similiar), they'll be at opposite sides of the field, and both will make plays.

Big stature guys are great for the red zone, but we have two TE's for that, and Reggie is a great jump catcher. Team aren't always in the redzone. We need to concentrate on getting there.

Oh, I understand. Barden is just a name I've thrown around because I like his potential. Jennings is without doubt more polished and experienced, but I just do not think it's important enough to spend 7-9 million a yr. on. I would rather the money go to positions that are far more in need of immediate upgrade than WR. Just my opinion, but as I've stated numerous times before, we need to focus on the trenches with free agency and the rest will fall in place.

Oh, I understand. Barden is just a name I've thrown around because I like his potential. Jennings is without doubt more polished and experienced, but I just do not think it's important enough to spend 7-9 million a yr. on. I would rather the money go to positions that are far more in need of immediate upgrade than WR. Just my opinion, but as I've stated numerous times before, we need to focus on the trenches with free agency and the rest will fall in place.

Yup and I agree with you 100% about that as stated in another thread. Although if we are going after an FA WR Jennings is the man. I did like Barden in one Giants game I watched last year, think he had over 10 catches, he was unplayable. Consistency is an endearing quality though.

Several thoughts to share.....

First,  we simply can't solve all of our needs/issues in one year with FA & the Draft.    It will take more time.

Second,  a "Luxury Pick" simply means we have many other far more pressing needs than Greg Jennings at 3/20-25 (I agree that's his proper value range)   And I think Jennings, with his WCO background, would be an excellent fit,  but he's not a priority.

To me, our priorities should be OG x2, OT, CB, SS, DE/DT, OLB, another power RB, maybe even a FB/3rd TE type.   An expensive WR is a luxury.   

Third,  I love the idea of Ramses Barden, I floated his name on the FA/Draft board months ago....   but the best thing about him is that he'd be cheap.    I'm guessing no more than a 1 or 2 year deal at no more than a million per -- tops.    That was part of his appeal to me.  He's got upside, and he'd be dirt cheap.    Otherwise....   no...

Fourth,   I don't understand this talk from some that TY Hilton is not a #2 receiver, he's a slot receiver.    WTH?!?    If you have two WR's,  one is outside (Reggie) and one is in the Slot (TYH)    What am I missing here?   With respect,  the difference between a fan and a GM/Coach, is that a fan see what a player is....   a GM/Coach sees what a player can be.    Two different things.  TY should improve and be very good. 

Hey, as a Luck fan, I want him to have all the weapons he needs.  But for me, his best weapons would be a much improved OL, a much improved running game,  and a much improved defense.   Give him those things and you'll see a whole new Andrew Luck.

Just my view of things....

Several thoughts to share.....

First,  we simply can't solve all of our needs/issues in one year with FA & the Draft.    It will take more time.

Second,  a "Luxury Pick" simply means we have many other far more pressing needs than Greg Jennings at 3/20-25 (I agree that's his proper value range)   And I think Jennings, with his WCO background, would be an excellent fit,  but he's not a priority.

To me, our priorities should be OG x2, OT, CB, SS, DE/DT, OLB, another power RB, maybe even a FB/3rd TE type.   An expensive WR is a luxury.   

Third,  I love the idea of Ramses Barden, I floated his name on the FA/Draft board months ago....   but the best thing about him is that he'd be cheap.    I'm guessing no more than a 1 or 2 year deal at no more than a million per -- tops.    That was part of his appeal to me.  He's got upside, and he'd be dirt cheap.    Otherwise....   no...

Fourth,   I don't understand this talk from some that TY Hilton is not a #2 receiver, he's a slot receiver.    WTH?!?    If you have two WR's,  one is outside (Reggie) and one is in the Slot (TYH)    What am I missing here?   With respect,  the difference between a fan and a GM/Coach, is that a fan see what a player is....   a GM/Coach sees what a player can be.    Two different things.  TY should improve and be very good. 

Hey, as a Luck fan, I want him to have all the weapons he needs.  But for me, his best weapons would be a much improved OL, a much improved running game,  and a much improved defense.   Give him those things and you'll see a whole new Andrew Luck.

Just my view of things....

I agree with you 100%, and a 110% on the bolded, underlined part. 

Wayne's was 3 year 17.5 million.

Thanks Dustin but I have to say no. I like Jennings but this is the type of signing that can cause problems, it would be like a slap in the face to Reggie. He's the leader in the locker room and the field, he was the biggest producer outside of Luck. To bring in a outsider who hasn't played our system and pay him more than our best guy is crap. If we can get him cheaper, I would change my mind.

I disagree with the classification of Jennings as a "luxury player." I'm not even sure what that means. A luxury player is a top notch backup quarterback.

We're not hurting at receiver, but we're not flying high either. As it stands now, Hilton would be our #2, and as much as I like him (I liked him before the draft; I'm a T.Y. fan), Jennings is better. He's a better route runner, he has better hands, he's bigger, and he's proven and productive. He'd be a legitimate #2, would take pressure off of Reggie, and would allow Hilton to remain the #3 receiver, the wild-card, punt returner option, etc.

Guys like Brazill and Whalen are promising, but they are better served to round out the corps than to be relied on for production. And if we had to choose between Jennings at the money he's asking for and Avery at less than half of that, I'd rather have Jennings. Avery is limited, as we all knew, and while he has elite speed, he doesn't finish plays down the field with enough frequency to really be a threat. I'd love it if Austin Collie could be relied on, but he can't, and I doubt we even resign him. If he plays next year, I'd say it's likely he winds up with Denver.

Again, I'd rather draft a guy -- if we traded down and got Robert Woods and an extra fourth rounder, I'd be happy. But it's not a bad idea to add a veteran receiver who knows how to produce in the NFL.

I agreed with his assessment that Jennings was a "luxery player" for the COLTS. If he meant that a guy like Jennings was to be considered a "luxery player" , i would side with you and say no way that's true. In a nutshell , I took him to mean that with the 4-5 monterous holes the Colts have in their starting 22 , adding a player like Jennings would be a luxery in the sense that Luck already has ample targets in the passing games. On the other hand we have a back up starting at SS , CB and 2-3 players on the O line.  Plus I don't think we resign Freeney and I view his current back up as just that ... a back up. So when you have such glaring , massive holes , I can see how he's calls Jennings a "luxery." Now I happen to agree with you (like you care) that it would be fine to use a 2013 draft pick on a WR. I would like to see that be a pick other than 1.24 . A developemental type with size would be great anywhere after round 1.

I love how people are talking about collie being back so we dont need jennings, but Im not sure if you guys watched last season or not...but Collie got another concussion and was out for the rest of the season, making it like his 3rd of 4th in 2 seasons....Collie is not durable nor is he reliable from week to week. Id take Jennings over Collie and over Avery any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Id take Bowe to if its the right price. With Jennings having issues as of late with injury Id rather ride with bowe but either one is an upgrade I think personally 

I love how people are talking about collie being back so we dont need jennings, but Im not sure if you guys watched last season or not...but Collie got another concussion and was out for the rest of the season, making it like his 3rd of 4th in 2 seasons....Collie is not durable nor is he reliable from week to week. Id take Jennings over Collie and over Avery any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Id take Bowe to if its the right price. With Jennings having issues as of late with injury Id rather ride with bowe but either one is an upgrade I think personally 

I agree with you that we can't rely on Collie, plus he's a free agent. But he missed the season with a knee injury, not the concussion. Just a point of clarification...

I agree with you that we can't rely on Collie, plus he's a free agent. But he missed the season with a knee injury, not the concussion. Just a point of clarification...

oh, lol well I thought he was out with the concussion, but regardless it seems like this kid catches a concussion as often as he catches the ball, not saying he has bad hands just saying when he gets hit he gets rattled 

I agreed with his assessment that Jennings was a "luxery player" for the COLTS. If he meant that a guy like Jennings was to be considered a "luxery player" , i would side with you and say no way that's true. In a nutshell , I took him to mean that with the 4-5 monterous holes the Colts have in their starting 22 , adding a player like Jennings would be a luxery in the sense that Luck already has ample targets in the passing games. On the other hand we have a back up starting at SS , CB and 2-3 players on the O line.  Plus I don't think we resign Freeney and I view his current back up as just that ... a back up. So when you have such glaring , massive holes , I can see how he's calls Jennings a "luxery." Now I happen to agree with you (like you care) that it would be fine to use a 2013 draft pick on a WR. I would like to see that be a pick other than 1.24 . A developemental type with size would be great anywhere after round 1.

I guess I'm nitpicking. I don't view Jennings as a luxury player. I think he'd be a starter alongside Reggie, and would significantly upgrade our receiving corps. And I believe our corps could stand to be upgraded, for sure, although it's not our biggest priority this offseason.

I agree that we should do whatever we can to fill the holes we have on our roster. We would be okay going forward with what we have at receiver, whereas we need help at several other positions. But I don't agree with the prevalent belief that we couldn't address those needs and improve at receiver.

By the way, your opinion is certainly well respected by me.

I guess I'm nitpicking. I don't view Jennings as a luxury player. I think he'd be a starter alongside Reggie, and would significantly upgrade our receiving corps. And I believe our corps could stand to be upgraded, for sure, although it's not our biggest priority this offseason.

I agree that we should do whatever we can to fill the holes we have on our roster. We would be okay going forward with what we have at receiver, whereas we need help at several other positions. But I don't agree with the prevalent belief that we couldn't address those needs and improve at receiver.

Thank you ..and I yours. I do agree that we can stand to be upgraded at WR. Wayne probably has one productive year left and other than Hilton , the other guys are just guys until proven otherwise. Plus we are smallish at the position. My point is the Colts cannot afford to give Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace or Wes Welker the contracts they are looking for. Reason being .. as we have agreed upon and discussed. Now if they found a cheaper URFA WR that has some upside and used a bit of the cap space on him , I would have no problem. You are right (IMO) about upgrading the position if it came cheap or with a later round draft pick. 

I think "luxrury" in this case means if we don't sign Jennings or Bowe for that matter we would probably be okay at WR this coming year.  We could probably feel the other WRs spots in other ways.  So we don't have to go get a guy like Jennings or Bowe unlike the line that HAS to be addressed.  With that said, if the Colts do go get one of those WRs it would help the team going forward and would make the team better and you can make a case for the Colts going after one of these guys because another WR is a need but it's just not a break the bank need if that makes any sense at all. 

I think you and me clearly agree on the idea that the Colts could go get a Jennings or Bowe if they want and still be able to address the other needs they have.  I am not sure many around realize just how much money 40 million is in NFL terms.  The Colts could go get a couple of big price players if they want and still sign other players to address needs.  Add to that our draft picks and I think the Colts can easily afford a star WR if they want one and still fix the other needs on the roster. 

I'd like to see another WR with good hands join the team... I wouldn't be a fan of signing Jennings if it meant we would have to skimp at another area of need... I'd like to go younger, but you can never get it all and there is no doubt that WR will be an area of need in the near (hopefully not too near) future.

I wouldn't cry about bringing in Jennings, Amendola, or even Bowe, but I also would like to build a balanced team and see where the talent we already have at WR shakes out.

The main concerns I have with picking up a FA WR are that the FAs contract will make the FO stubborn about evaluations (think Shipley/Satele last season) and that higher priced FAs rarely live up to their contracts.

I won't be curmudgeonly about it if we grab one of those guys, but I'd rather spend a draft pick on one, even if its a higher pick. There are bigger needs, but we are gonna go through a lot of WRs if we change schemes every year because Luck makes a star out of another OC...

For all the "sign Bowe" posters.....

4184.jpg

Appearing on Total Access, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported the Chiefs are actively pursuing a long-term deal with free agent Dwayne Bowe.

The sides have already met, and Rapoport expects talks to continue in the coming weeks. Coach Andy Reid was said to be very high on Bowe when he came out of LSU in 2007. As the 2012 season winded down, the Kansas City Star said the Chiefs were not expected to offer Bowe a long-term deal, but since then the regime has changed. There's no reason to think Bowe can't get Vincent Jackson money -- five years and $55 million with $26 million guaranteed. Bowe checks in as our own Evan Silva's No. 2 overall free agent, behind Paul Kruger.

regardless of what we do this FA, fans should be excited and even if they dont go at a position they want to be addressed we need to remember we cant fill all our holes in 1 FA/Draft...unless we mortgage our future with an unnecesarry amount of FA and im sure no one wants that

so if we indeed take Jennings and it costs not being able to sign, say Louis Vasquez, like i personally want i wont be mad cause i know that WR is going to be come a need next year anyways...we cant just fix everything

regardless of what we do this FA, fans should be excited and even if they dont go at a position they want to be addressed we need to remember we cant fill all our holes in 1 FA/Draft...unless we mortgage our future with an unnecesarry amount of FA and im sure no one wants that

so if we indeed take Jennings and it costs not being able to sign, say Louis Vasquez, like i personally want i wont be mad cause i know that WR is going to be come a need next year anyways...we cant just fix everything

If the Colts sign Jennings and could have signed Louis Vasquez or another good O Lineman and Luck gets sacked another 42 times , you have my permission to be as mad as you like.

If you get an Offensive Line, it doesn't matter who you have at RB or WR. Everything starts up front. I've said it before, I'm fine with our Current WR Core. All these guys contribute different things. Just work on the dropping of passes & we'll be fine. And get another RB to go with Ballard cause I'm thinking Brown & Carter may be leaving Indy. Well, maybe not Carter but we'll see

That's one of the positives about hiring Hamilton. I don't think he has the credentials to be considered for a head coaching job any time soon. 

I just hope we wont have to make a change for another reason...

With that said the NFL exports I saw seemed really high on the hire so I feel pretty good about it.

I just hope we wont have to make a change for another reason...

With that said the NFL exports I saw seemed really high on the hire so I feel pretty good about it.

Sounds like this guy is bright , innovative and has a monster work ethic. Probably a bit more than the 60 year old Arians. I have a really good feeling that in a year or two , we are going to say that our loss ended up to be a huge gain.

I know this will make a lot of people mad on this forum because they hate when we talk about adding WR's 

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport mentions the Rams, Colts, Vikings, and Dolphins as potential landing spots for free agent Greg Jennings.

The Rams, Colts, and Vikings are new teams to be linked to Jennings, but the Dolphins have long been associated with the 29-year-old. "All other 31 teams are an option," Jennings said Wednesday. Jennings won't approach Vincent Jackson money (five years, $55 million), but he could command $7-9 million a year from a receiver-needy club. He can also play in the slot and outside, making Jennings more appealing to teams that like "move" receivers.

Mad?  Why would it make me mad?

Earlier I thought we are set at WR, but Avery isn't sure-handed, and I'm not sure he would be resigned. Jannings could be a good fit, however I would rather see a physical, tall WR who is able to make catches even if passing routes are flooded (I think that's the reason why Andrew's passes were high at times).

So at the right price he could add talent to our wideout corps.

I agree, the only circumstance in which I want Jennings is a replacement for Avery. That is a big step up.

In a way though this disappoints me because I am a huge Harvin fan.

If you get an Offensive Line, it doesn't matter who you have at RB or WR. Everything starts up front. I've said it before, I'm fine with our Current WR Core. All these guys contribute different things. Just work on the dropping of passes & we'll be fine. And get another RB to go with Ballard cause I'm thinking Brown & Carter may be leaving Indy. Well, maybe not Carter but we'll see

Even with a great offensive line having quality talent at RB and WR is still important.  The Eagles under McNabb were a team that suffered tremendously during some of their best years from being extremely weak at WR.  Having a great line can make guys look better for sure but you still need legitimate playmakers in all phases of the game.  That said, the Colts definitely have a much greater dearth of talent on the o-line than anywhere else and it is critically important to have a competent, reasonably trustworthy line at a minimum.

I certainly agree that Jennings is a luxury in light of that fact.

For all the "sign Bowe" posters.....

4184.jpg

Appearing on Total Access, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported the Chiefs are actively pursuing a long-term deal with free agent Dwayne Bowe.

The sides have already met, and Rapoport expects talks to continue in the coming weeks. Coach Andy Reid was said to be very high on Bowe when he came out of LSU in 2007. As the 2012 season winded down, the Kansas City Star said the Chiefs were not expected to offer Bowe a long-term deal, but since then the regime has changed. There's no reason to think Bowe can't get Vincent Jackson money -- five years and $55 million with $26 million guaranteed. Bowe checks in as our own Evan Silva's No. 2 overall free agent, behind Paul Kruger.

Whoever Evan Silva is...is a fool in my book. Paul Kruger rated #1 free agent? Hey, I like Kruger but #1 overall free agent? Boy, that's really stretching it. The guy had a nice season there's no questioning that but he's not what I would consider to be a "must have" for any team. He's in his prime for sure. And he's coming off of a season where he really took off but he didn't even take all the defensive snaps for Baltimore so I'm really questioning you Evan Silva...

Whoever Evan Silva is...is a fool in my book. Paul Kruger rated #1 free agent? Hey, I like Kruger but #1 overall free agent? Boy, that's really stretching it. The guy had a nice season there's no questioning that but he's not what I would consider to be a "must have" for any team. He's in his prime for sure. And he's coming off of a season where he really took off but he didn't even take all the defensive snaps for Baltimore so I'm really questioning you Evan Silva...

Evan Silva is a writter for roto news. He has nothing to do with this or reporting other NFL news. He does things such as rate players fantasy values and other silly stuff like maybe ranking QB's from 1-10. So if your questioning the validity of the report that the Chiefs are making a push to  resign Bowe , it probably is a reasonably accurate assessment of the situation. It's usually no secrete that a team and player are in serious negotiations and there is not a lot of reason for sides not to "leak this " or make it public knowledge.

If the Colts sign Jennings and could have signed Louis Vasquez or another good O Lineman and Luck gets sacked another 42 times , you have my permission to be as mad as you like.

but what if Grigson just doesnt believe Louis Vasquez is that good or that Bushrod doesnt warrant the amount of money he wants... and i btw no way we go next season with same oline lol im just saying there will stll be holes

but you are right, at least in my mind :)

I wouldn't be opposed to this signing since I'm a fan of Jennings (his skill set is like Marvin Harrison Lite, but he plays a little tougher). That said, it would have to be at the right price because there are other, higher priority areas to address. 

We will need to address the WR position within the next 2 seasons because, as much as I love Hilton, I don't think he can hold up under the physical load of being a #1 without it affecting his big play ability and ability to stay on the field. He's a weapon but, like a Ferrari, you have to monitor the miles you put on him. He was getting nicked up as it was last year. So, we don't need to bring in another speed demon necessarily, but we will need someone who can give us consistent play and can stay healthy.

A healthy Collie or a more consistent Avery could've solved the issue, but unfortunately, both of those descriptions look to be oxymorons. Hopefully Brazill can step up and develop into a quality starter.

I wouldn't be opposed to this signing since I'm a fan of Jennings (his skill set is like Marvin Harrison Lite, but he plays a little tougher). That said, it would have to be at the right price because there are other, higher priority areas to address. 

We will need to address the WR position within the next 2 seasons because, as much as I love Hilton, I don't think he can hold up under the physical load of being a #1 without it affecting his big play ability and ability to stay on the field. He's a weapon but, like a Ferrari, you have to monitor the miles you put on him. He was getting nicked up as it was last year. So, we don't need to bring in another speed demon necessarily, but we will need someone who can give us consistent play and can stay healthy.

A healthy Collie or a more consistent Avery could've solved the issue, but unfortunately, both of those descriptions look to be oxymorons. Hopefully Brazill can step up and develop into a quality starter.

Hilton is a little bigger than Marvin Harrison was and Harrison held up as #1 receiver for a long time.