Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who should replace Arians? [Merge]

UKColt13

I wouldn't mind Norv because with him having Gates all these years, I would really like to see what he would do with Allen AND Fleener. Hopefully with improvements to the O-line next year these two can see more in the passing game regardless of who's OC. The Colts are LOADED at the skill positions and I want to see better utilization and efficiency next year. Anything less than 25+ points per game next year will be inexcusable IMO.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken Wisenhunt was just fired. Now, that is a name I would be happy for OC if we brought him in assuming Arians leaves for an HC job.

came here to say this as soon as I saw his name on the wire..I think that was a bogus firing..the guy had no Qbs to work with at all..some teams around the league are overreacting a bit..all these vacancies that are opening up increases the likelihood that BA will for sure get a chance at a head coaching gig whether we like it or not..

came here to say this as soon as I saw his name on the wire..I think that was a bogus firing..the guy had no Qbs to work with at all..some teams around the league are overreacting a bit..all these vacancies that are opening up increases the likelihood that BA will for sure get a chance at a head coaching gig whether we like it or not..

Whisenhunt backed the Kevin Kolb acquisition, and the contract option last offseason. They were in the running as a finalist for Manning, along with the Titans and Broncos, and decided to keep Kolb and take their name out of the running. Whisenhunt was part of the reason why.

I think he's a good coach, and it does suck that he hasn't had a quarterback since Warner retired, but he's not completely free from blame in that whole thing, either.

As for him being the coordinator here, I think that would work out just fine. Problem is, he'd be out the door within a couple of years, assuming we have success.

hey Superman,

Pretty sure at the time they knew there was Zero chance Manning was coming to Arizona!

What were their options after Kolb? Not much, and they had a young QB to push him.

Pete Carrol reached with an unproven Flynn to the tune of $8Million this year. Doing the best he could to fill a need.

Flynn made his 1st appearance in week 13. A real crap shoot at times hoping guys step up and deliver.

Whisenhunt seems like a talented, tough guy, that would fit in well if there is an opening.

And with all these openings coming today, almost by default, there is a good chance BA will get an offer.

He could sell some tickets as a Respected Leader and with this feel good story following him. Owners like that stuff!

Whisenhunt backed the Kevin Kolb acquisition, and the contract option last offseason. They were in the running as a finalist for Manning, along with the Titans and Broncos, and decided to keep Kolb and take their name out of the running. Whisenhunt was part of the reason why.

I think he's a good coach, and it does suck that he hasn't had a quarterback since Warner retired, but he's not completely free from blame in that whole thing, either.

As for him being the coordinator here, I think that would work out just fine. Problem is, he'd be out the door within a couple of years, assuming we have success.

He (Kolb had a due date on his option) and Manning had yet to make up his mind. So they were sorta forced to go with what they could control, instead of waiting on Manning. 

Don't really know much about Whisenhunt's play book. I'm getting its pretty safe with the talent he had to play with in AZ.

Whisenhunt would make since as a replacement. Arians offense stems from Whisenhunt's system when they were in Pittsburgh together. If you want to go a couple steps further, Chan Gailey is also another viable replacement. Whistenhunt's offense in Pittsburgh stemmed from Mularkey's offense, which stemmed from Gailey's offense when he was O coordinator of the Steelers. If we're trying to keep continuity, it makes since to stay in the same coaching tree

Tom Moore

I wouldn't mind having him back in a consultant role. Maybe let him develop some of the redzone packages and/or add input into different passing concepts. I wouldn't want him back as the coordinator for the simple fact that he probably wouldn't want to be anyways. I'd love for him to be around Luck and help mentor him, much like he did Peyton, but his playcalling days are likely over.

Neither do I, if I had my way we would have a West Coast Offensive Coordinator but it seems the likely choice if Arians leaves

I don't think CC is the likely choice at all. He had his chance and he blew it bigtime. He was awful, just awful. No way he gets another shot at OC.

I'll do the honors, I have a knack for calling the exact plays we are going to run. I promise I won't run a ton of bubble screens and stretch plays, only when we draft another Edge for the stretch plays and as far as bubble screens, yea we had one work in the Texans game Sunday (which, by the way, today feels like Sunday and that I should be turning the tube on to watch the NFL, not college) which we can pull off every blue moon. Or if I can't be OC, then "sign me up coach, I'm ready to play, today, .......

I watch every Cardinals game each week, as long as not opposite the Colts.  My brother is a big Cardinals fan.  IMHO, Whis is an overrated coach.  If Kurt Warner had never come to Arizona, would anyone even be talking about him?  Sure, the Kolb trade was bad, but his handling of QBs the whole time he has been there has been bad.  I would avoid him like a plague.

I would prefer Marty Mornihwig.   Terrible head coach, but very good in West Coast offense with Eagles.  I think Norv Turner returns to Dallas.

I don't think CC is the likely choice at all. He had his chance and he blew it bigtime. He was awful, just awful. No way he gets another shot at OC.

Yes he was and he should have been the first one out the door last year. Before Caldwell, before Coyer, before Polian, before Painter.

Yet he's still here. I could see the franchise making the mistake of promoting him back to OC if Arians leaves. 

I'll do the honors, I have a knack for calling the exact plays we are going to run. .......

No offense there Chris, but I'm not sure if that is a testament to your football cognizance, or more of a refection of Arians' predictability.

So it looks like you might remain in the van down by the river.

Who would you want to replace Arians if he accepts a HC role somewhere during the offseason??

I would not Luck needs that continuity. I know some of you don't like Arians play calling. But he did lead the team to a 9-3 record during his interim duties. I don't want to see him go. But I believe he will be.

I never liked the idea of really needing an OC.

this whole thing was foreign to me as PM usually handled most of this with "tom moore"

Now that Arians is here, i have grown to like him. His play calling is predictable and one dimensional but i think with time and weapons, he and luck can do great things.

I really can't think of anyone else I'd rather have atm.

Didn't read through the whole thread but, if Chargers are trying to take TomTelesco from us(which could lead to the loss of Arians) I would want to ask Norv Turner to join us.

As an OC I think he would do well for us... I think he should shy away from any HC positions. I think he would get more praise helping a young QB learn to flourish in the NFL. 

Also, his offensive schemes seem to create opportunities for the run game nicely. We could use some of that to give Luck every chance to drop his INTs and up his TDs.

Ken Wisenhunt was just fired. Now, that is a name I would be happy for OC if we brought him in assuming Arians leaves for an HC job.

whisenhut would be gone as soon as he got another head coaching gig...which would prob be in 2014.