Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tagliabue’s ruling suggests Saints were targeting Peyton Manning

HarassedOffTheSite

Per PFT:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/11/tagliabues-ruling-suggests-saints-were-targeting-peyton-manning-too/

"...former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams had said that the team hoped to apply "remember me" hits to the New Orleans native — no evidence had pointed to a pointed effort to target Peyton.

The 22-page written ruling from former Commissioner Paul Tagliabue implies otherwise.

Here’s a partial quote from Tagliabue’s ruling, with emphasis added:

The record includes PowerPoint slide presentations made by the Saints’ coaching staff to Saints’ players . . . . ...(a) slide set from after the NFC Championship game again includes photos of Kurt Warner lying on the field with a caption of ‘ :cuss: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED VS. WARNER AND FAVRE’; and the next slide includes photos of Brett Favre being helped off the field and of his bruised and bandaged ankle and leg, with a caption of ‘ONE MORE QB TO GO!!!!‘”

The “ONE MORE QB TO GO” was Peyton Manning. And though the Saints never injured Peyton Manning via the application of legal or illegal hits, he surely was a target. The slides to which Tagliabue refers prove it."

Edited by Nadine
quoted profanity/link added/exerpt shortened

If I remember right, Williams made it a point that they were going after Peyton. He even said to the media that they were going to deliver "forget-me" shots or something to that effect. However, Peyton was in there healthy for the whole game. I actually don't remember any of our players getting injured in that game and having to leave. Had that have happened, one could make a strong case that they should be stripped of the Lombardi (one could already make a case that they should be stripped of it due to how they played against Warner and Favre).

This is also what happens if the refs let them play dirty and dont throw flags. The Saints players kept doing it, the refs let them, and the NFL needed the Saints at that point for ratings and a feel good story, so they turned a blind eye to it. Now, the NFL needed to scape goat the Saints for combating the concussion lawsuits, so they did.

All are crooks in this to me.

Of course they were going to target Manning. Williams already targeted him in 2006.

If you are going to target the QB in the divisional round and the NFCCG, you of course are going to do the same in the Super Bowl.

Goodell better never make the mistake of reinstating Williams. The man, and I use that term only because other words aren't allowed, doesn't deserve to coach at any level.

Of course they were going to target Manning. Williams already targeted him in 2006.

If you are going to target the QB in the divisional round and the NFCCG, you of course are going to do the same in the Super Bowl.

Goodell better never make the mistake of reinstating Williams. The man, and I use that term only because other words aren't allowed, doesn't deserve to coach at any level.

Excellent post! :number1:

Williams is indirectly responsible for why Manning is in Denver now, and we have Luck. His players hit Manning in a 2006 preseason game, high and low (and dirty)...Dungy believes that hit caused the start of the degeneration of his neck. And we all know where that eventually led... It's a lot of dots to connect, but it leads back to him. He's a scumbag and I hope he's never allowed to coach again. And I am fine with the way things turned out by the way, I am a Colts fan first, Manning fan 2nd.

It was week 7 , Oct 22,2006. just before half is I recall. It was gruesome- some angles really show how rough that play was. Only a 5k fine, too. -

http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapolis-colts/09000d5d8275f9af/Did-Redskins-cause-Manning-s-neck-injury

Peyton came out in 3rd quarter and buried them 20 - 0. He was mad! But Dungy is certain this began the neck issues for Peyton which only got worse over time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/dungy-gregg-williams-redskins-may-started-peyton-manning-163634407.html

bah i still believe those players are as much as fault as greg williams...they could have said no

...And then shown the door? So if there is a city ordinance saying I can't put signs out by the road, the boss never tells me I can't but instead tells me to put a sign by the road, I shouldn't follow my boss's orders???

Also there's evidence that the Saints coaches did not let their players know that the NFL wanted them to stop " pay for play " schemes. " pay for play " is something that has been part of the NFL for forever until a few years ago. Ultimately all of this falls on Payton.

I still remember when Greg Williams was with the Redskins and that was when Peyton first had his neck injury.

In many seasons of playing football, I never had a coach that wanted me to go out and injure another player.

I say instead of suspending him, we give him pads and tell him to play defense, maybe then he will learn the error of his ways.

Williams is indirectly responsible for why Manning is in Denver now, and we have Luck. His players hit Manning in a 2006 preseason game, high and low (and dirty)...Dungy believes that hit caused the start of the degeneration of his neck. And we all know where that eventually led... It's a lot of dots to connect, but it leads back to him. He's a scumbag and I hope he's never allowed to coach again. And I am fine with the way things turned out by the way, I am a Colts fan first, Manning fan 2nd.

that maybe true, but nobody held a gun to the players head. honestly, the nfl is a dirty league, so i imagine it didn't take much prodding.

This whole thing disgusts me. I don't care "if it's always been going on" It is time to stop it, especially when the same people looking to make hits to hurt their own co-workers then turn around and sue their employer that the sport is unsafe and has lasting damage. Well who is making too unsafe? Yes, part of the game is hitting, but a good old fashioned wrap up tackle doesn't have to send someone into next week or break an ankle. Those kinds of injuries should be accidental, not purposeful! UGH!

...And then shown the door? So if there is a city ordinance saying I can't put signs out by the road, the boss never tells me I can't but instead tells me to put a sign by the road, I shouldn't follow my boss's orders???

Also there's evidence that the Saints coaches did not let their players know that the NFL wanted them to stop " pay for play " schemes. " pay for play " is something that has been part of the NFL for forever until a few years ago. Ultimately all of this falls on Payton.

dont theyhave common sense? and dont they know the rules? im not talking about the analogy you presented. And forget if the bosess found ways so the players wouldnt know the NFL was investigating...

Players know that intentionally wanting to hurt some player, and get money because of it its ilegal, if not the freaking PA should be telling them to read the rule, regardless if you boss says so....I'm guessing thats why Fujita was "excused" because there was no foul play on his part. The moment a player puts a bounty(even if its not the first) on another QB he is as much a part of it as the one who initiated. The moment a player starts screaming on tv "give me my money"(indicating that indeed there is a pay for hitting another player) after believing he took a QB out of the game he should have been suspended because of participation on such system, respect from colleagues and fans.

NFL players present themselves like a band of brothers, so let me ask you...why do they try to hurt his brothers? thats not ethical. and they should be suspended because of it

The players could have and should have stopped this. they are trying to look like victims...they are not

I do agree on Payton.

dont theyhave common sense? and dont they know the rules? im not talking about the analogy you presented. And forget if the bosess found ways so the players wouldnt know the NFL was investigating...

Players know that intentionally wanting to hurt some player, and get money because of it its ilegal, if not the freaking PA should be telling them to read the rule, regardless if you boss says so....I'm guessing thats why Fujita was "excused" because there was no foul play on his part. The moment a player puts a bounty(even if its not the first) on another QB he is as much a part of it as the one who initiated. The moment a player starts screaming on tv "give me my money"(indicating that indeed there is a pay for hitting another player) after believing he took a QB out of the game he should have been suspended because of participation on such system, respect from colleagues and fans.

NFL players present themselves like a band of brothers, so let me ask you...why do they try to hurt his brothers? thats not ethical. and they should be suspended because of it

The players could have and should have stopped this. they are trying to look like victims...they are not

I do agree on Payton.

Your talking about " pay for injury" which I completely agree with you , if that was the case. I'm just simply talking about " pay for play ", in that case it's completely on the organization and coaches. And that's what I'm reading, if there was more evidence of " pay for injury" the NFL would expect more from the players. Pay for play, not so much.

Your talking about " pay for injury" which I completely agree with you , if that was the case. I'm just simply talking about " pay for play ", in that case it's completely on the organization and coaches. And that's what I'm reading, if there was more evidence of " pay for injury" the NFL would expect more from the players. Pay for play, not so much.

i think players are shielding themselfes in a game of words. Pay for play , pay for injuries... players knew what they were getting at.

A player does not scream give me my money when he thinks he took the qb out of the game if its a pay for play, he screams that for taking the qb out of the game. otherwise everytime he makes a play he would be screaming about his money

i think players are shielding themselfes in a game of words. Pay for play , pay for injuries... players knew what they were getting at.

A player does not scream give me my money when he thinks he took the qb out of the game if its a pay for play, he screams that for taking the qb out of the game. otherwise everytime he makes a play he would be screaming about his money

Absolutely possible, in my biased opinion probable, I'm just dealing with what the NFL knows for sure. pay for play has been admitted.

Guys, I could see what was up here then in New Orleans back when it was going on, I told some saint fan friends

of mine that I can tell you there's something going on here with these bunch of dirty dirt bag football players on the saints.

Sorry but that's what I told them but they said noooooo that's just hard football playing. No somethings wrong here I said

I can see it, somethings up. So I guess I was right I would say. And Bress he ought to keep his mouth shut the sore loser!!

OK, I'll be cool. Why? Why? Did I start thinking about the Saints again????? I did tell you I hated the Saints with a passion

right? OK, my wife said I should not hate. OK, I dislike with a hated passion how's that? And I live near NO.

I am not surprised by the smoke that has been coming from the bounty case and I am a firm believer in "no smoke without a fire".

The evidence said they were trying to 'as they said' end Kurt Warner's career

.....Tagliabue just suspended the sentences....he agreed the Saints were criminals....

New Orleans football is a disgrace..the convicted head of the bounty program is the head coach RIGHT NOW....

It wouldn't be so bad if RG didn't act so fricken high and mighty. Hes a snake in the grass. As bad as selig.

That said, I hope the heck that brees does finally shut up.

God, me too. I use to like Brees but I have lost any and all respect for that clown over the last few yrs.. He is easily one of my most hated athletes now. Can not stand that clown.

If I remember right, Williams made it a point that they were going after Peyton. He even said to the media that they were going to deliver "forget-me" shots or something to that effect. However, Peyton was in there healthy for the whole game. I actually don't remember any of our players getting injured in that game and having to leave. Had that have happened, one could make a strong case that they should be stripped of the Lombardi (one could already make a case that they should be stripped of it due to how they played against Warner and Favre).

Yea, at one point we had a servicable Oline

God, me too. I use to like Brees but I have lost any and all respect for that clown over the last few yrs.. He is easily one of my most hated athletes now. Can not stand that clown.

The media suck-ups that interview Brees wont ask him hard questions....

Like "How can you claim your teammates were innocent when you own coaches testified against them??"

...and maybe 'Why are you the only person left in the NFL that denies there was any bounty at all?'