Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Should Be Our #1 RB

King Colt

Brown is way better than ballard and way more consistent. its not even close. as for Carter Arians has to find a way to get this guy more touches he was gashing the Browns for 5-6 yards every time he ran the ball except for like 3 runs

Sounds like Brian Fantana from Anchorman....

"Delone Carter, yup he's made with bits of real panther, so you know he's good. You know, 60% of the time he works, every time."

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brown has already proven once he gets past the D line and into open space he`s gone, someone who can take it to the house. Ballard nor Carter have shown that, 2 different styles of runner which like many have posted here is a good thing to have to change things up. Doesn`t matter to me who`s the starter, just use them all throughout a game to create mis-matches and IMO, good things will happen. Its situational football, something I think the Colts haven`t stressed enough in the past

Ballard shoukd get the starting job period. 84 hards yesterday and vshould power, speed and agility. He is a staright on type that is not afraid of contact. He is BETTER than Brown. Case closed.

Donald Brown had 161yards on 16 carries vs Titans last year(i know its last year just showing the breakaway speed, vision and agility Brown possesses).

now going to this year:

Brown had 84 yards on 17 carries vs GB with a long of 14yrds in the game this year. Ballard had 84 yards on 20 carries with 26 coming on one carry. not really sure how you can say Ballard is better when Brown did the samething yardage wise with 3 less carries in a game

There was 5or6 times Sunday that ballard tried to bounce it outside like Brown does and he just doesn't have the speed to do it, Brown would have made big gains out of those plays. This was the best game our O-line has played by far, had Brown been playing Sunday he would have had a huge game well over 100 yards. I like ballard and believe he will continue to produce but, I was more impressed with Carter than Ballard and would have liked to have seen him get the 20 carries.

Eh... If so, that was totally over my head.... :)

I was actually making fun of the posters who were saying "case closed" and stuff like that, but I do like Ballard the best.

Have you not ever heard of the term "tough yards"? You don't always get good blocking and you have to get some yards running over people. Has Brown EVER done that? I'm not hating on him, but realistically, he ain't the toughest guy in the world.

I was actually making fun of the posters who were saying "case closed" and stuff like that, but I do like Ballard the best.

Have you not ever heard of the term "tough yards"? You don't always get good blocking and you have to get some yards running over people. Has Brown EVER done that? I'm not hating on him, but realistically, he ain't the toughest guy in the world.

Well, he is a speed back. His job is to pick big chunks of yardage, not necessarily to run people over. That's what have Ballard and Carter for.

And yes, I don't understand humor. :-)

We have a good stable of backs who all have strengths and who all have weaknesses. I think Brown is the best of the group and he should be he's been here the longest and he's the only one who is a former first round pick. However, I think our running game will be at our best by playing guys who fit what you want to do. IE if you can run outside you play Brown. If you want to run up the middle you play Ballard. If you need hard yards you play Carter. They all bring something to the table but sometimes it's a challenge to figure out who should be in the game when and if the Colts want to run the no huddle like the have at times this season it will make it even more challenging to change those guys up unless you do it from drive-to-drive.

I think a one two punch of Brown and Ballard will suffice. Then you throw in Carter near the endzone, and see what you have from here on out.

I am with you here....I would like to see Carter pass block too. Do you remember anything from last year? I am drawing a blank......

We just need to use all of them. There is no reason for us to just give DB all the carries when we have Ballard and Carter on our roster as well. Mix it up and use each of them in different ways. Ground and pound a bit with Carter and then throw in some plays to get DB into the open field to use his speed. Then we can hit with Ballard after that.

The NFL is no longer about a workhorse RB. It is all about the stable of RBs you have and we have three who can run. We just need to use them all.

I feel you have to be careful with this strategy. You can become predictable. If you have a running back in there thats good at a certain thing ie pass catching, blocking, pounding the ball and you are cycling through 3-4 different rbs on different plays it could be telling.

Regardless - I think Carter has been the MOST impressive thus far....

We are starting to run a little more zone blocking with gap responsibilities. Still run a lot of man blocking but it good to know we are switching it up.

"Watching the film there were a couple of times we ran a couple of gap schemes and anybody could have gotten through the hole.  That's a running back's dream," Ballard said.

I wonder when they decided on running some Zone Blocking and why.......Its about time though

I guess Arians isn't stubborn like most OC to keep running stuff that wasn't working as effective as it should be and he decided to switch it up. I'm glad he did because there were holes opening up for Ballard and Carter most of the time last game. Hope he keeps it up tomorrow

I guess Arians isn't stubborn like most OC to keep running stuff that wasn't working as effective as it should be and he decided to switch it up. I'm glad he did because there were holes opening up for Ballard and Carter most of the time last game. Hope he keeps it up tomorrow

Not ready to say Arians isn't stubborn, If I had to guess the likelihood of him sticking with it is not very high, I just dont think Arians can contain that urge to fling that ball downfield, To me it was evident from the start we dont have the O Linemen for a Man Blocking scheme, I just didnt think it was a good idea once you consider how many new pieces we have on the O Line the fact that the only O Linemen thats been in a Man Blocking scheme on the O Line is Satele when he was in Oakland the other O Linemen were all drafted for Zone Blocking schemes, Mcglynn, Justice (Zone Blocking in Philly where both were drafted). Reitz when he returns (Baltimore Undrafted Free Agent picked up by Colts in there Zone Blocking we had). Linkenbach obviously by the Colts (when we had the Zone Blocking scheme), Olsen in Denver. We have O Linemen for the most part that were fit for a Zone Scheme in my opinion and I think our running backs would benefit from it especially Brown. http://smartfootball.com/run-game/a-very-simple-explanation-of-the-zone-runs-and-the-difference-between-inside-zone-and-outside-zone Im actually a big fan I guess you could say of thw Zone Blocking

I wonder when they decided on running some Zone Blocking and why.......Its about time though

Looks like Arians isn't stubborn and stuck with more zone blocking running 2 weeks in a row and it is really paying off for every running back that's in the game. I would be nice if we can continue to run the ball next week vs Dolphins but they have a top 5 rush defense up there

Looks like Arians isn't stubborn and stuck with more zone blocking running 2 weeks in a row and it is really paying off for every running back that's in the game. I would be nice if we can continue to run the ball next week vs Dolphins but they have a top 5 rush defense up there

True dat.

RBC is best for us. Mewelde Moore, IMO, other than his Steelers' connections and experience, does not really bring much to our roster.

DB, Ballard, Carter should suffice. Just give those 3 a continuous chance.

Db has no power, stops in the backfield, drops pass and Ballard runs behind his pads, does not stop in the backfield catchs the ball and scores the winning TD. DB cant block either. VB is more elusive and has better power.

Give me Ballard and Carter 1 and 2. DB late in the open field is OK.

Db has no power, stops in the backfield, drops pass and Ballard runs behind his pads, does not stop in the backfield catchs the ball and scores the winning TD. DB cant block either. VB is more elusive and has better power.

Give me Ballard and Carter 1 and 2. DB late in the open field is OK.

Yeah those 80 yards on 14 carries were terrible, just terrible. I heard he beats his girlfriend and punches babies, too.

Brown and Ballard both had a great game. God forbid we use both of them.

Yeah those 80 yards on 14 carries were terrible, just terrible. I heard he beats his girlfriend and punches babies, too.

I'm willing to say that 19 yard burst through the middle Brown had in OT would have been replicated by Ballard if he was in there. Overall it looked like Ballard had the slightly better game. Catching, running, etc. He just didn't have all the rushing yards

I'm willing to say that 19 yard burst through the middle Brown had in OT would have been replicated by Ballard if he was in there. Overall it looked like Ballard had the slightly better game. Catching, running, etc. He just didn't have all the rushing yards

Well, you could make the same case for Ballard's TD pass. You could even make the case that with DB, the TD might not have been even close, since Brown is a lot faster than Ballard.

The point is: if the results would've been the same no matter who you stuck in there, then it's probably the offensive line making the difference and not the RB.

Why do we try to bash our own players all the time? Zib blows, Brown sucks, OL sucks, Powers can't cover, Hughes is terrible. I mean both when one guy has a good game lets say it like it is. That doesn't mean the other guy is terrible. Both backs played well today. The OL did a good job opening up holes but didn't pass protect well. A lot to like and a lot to improve on. We got fortunate to get that call at the end on the fumble but we made the most of it. I won't say we are a great team but we are getting better and we at least compete. I liked what I saw from the BBC. They all added something to the offense and together were very potent. I hope they can keep that momentum together. Wether Vick starts or Donald it doesn't matter....as long as we keep running them all.

Well, you could make the same case for Ballard's TD pass. You could even make the case that with DB, the TD might not have been even close, since Brown is a lot faster than Ballard.

The point is: if the results would've been the same no matter who you stuck in there, then it's probably the offensive line making the difference and not the RB.

Agreed. I just though Ballard was more effective in this game. JMO of course. I'm happy with both of them.

The facts are these: Before the offensive line blocking started improving, every back you stuck in there (Ballard, Brown, Moore) looked bad, averaging about 3.5-3.7 yards per carry.

The offensive line starts gelling, then it doesn't matter who you stick in there (Brown, Ballard, Moore, Carter), they all start averaging 4.0 YPC, 4.7 YPC, 5.7 YPC. It's been like that for at least the past 3 games. And the trend actually started with Donald Brown, not Ballard.

If you really think it's the RB making the difference, then you're really not paying attention.

DB is to soft to beat his girlfriend...........oh and he can not catch or block either.

No zone blocking....not in the scheme.......run blocking excellent today for the most part.....You go with the coordinator....darn it guys and gals...this team should be freaking 5-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No zone blocking....not in the scheme.......run blocking excellent today for the most part.....You go with the coordinator....darn it guys and gals...this team should be freaking 5-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually Ballard confirmed in an interview that they started running more gap responsibility zone blocking starting last week and the run game has flourished since