Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Should Be Our #1 RB

King Colt

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully you are not sitting where Ryan Grigson is.

yeah, that was money well spent by the titans on chris johnson. running backs are a dime a dozen. i don't even notice when foster leaves the game and tate comes in, when peterson was hurt last year some slow white dude came in and averaged 5 yards a carry.

truth is you don't need these guys to win the super bowl. heck, the colts won the super bowl behind the greatness of joe addai and dom rhodes.

that's what people used to say about chris johnson. at the time i said on this board i would trade him...

whats wrong with chris Johnson? he had 1000yard seasons every year he has been in the league averaging over 4ypc every year. and is 10th in rushing now with 496yrds and 4.5ypc

whats wrong with chris Johnson? he had 1000yard seasons every year he has been in the league averaging over 4ypc every year. and is 10th in rushing now with 496yrds and 4.5ypc

he's not a difference maker. paul karharski expects him to be cut in the off season due to the guaranteed money he is due next year.

Brown is better than Ballard, and it's not close. He would have scored on the last first down run. I'm proud of Ballard, he was a key performer. When Donald comes back, maybe Ballard gets a little more time, but that's as far as this should go.

What's wrong with Chris Johnson is that he's horribly inconsistent. He has almost 500 yards this season in 6 games, which sounds great, but take away yesterday and that's 300 in 5 games. He has too many 12 carry 30 yard days.

Ballard shoukd get the starting job period. 84 hards yesterday and vshould power, speed and agility. He is a staright on type that is not afraid of contact. He is BETTER than Brown. Case closed.

Brown has break away speed Ballard is a nice change of pace back

you need a dominant O Line and a dominant D Line, look at Houston, most of the time they have a dominant O Line and JJ Swatt (who got another tipped pass yesterday leading to a pick by the secondary)

yeah, that was money well spent by the titans on chris johnson. running backs are a dime a dozen. i don't even notice when foster leaves the game and tate comes in, when peterson was hurt last year some slow white dude came in and averaged 5 yards a carry.

truth is you don't need these guys to win the super bowl. heck, the colts won the super bowl behind the greatness of joe addai and dom rhodes.

Arian Foster is fast, but he's not overly fast. He's not particularly elusive, doesn't make people miss, doesn't break many tackles, and isn't particularly good at getting extra yards after contact.

But, there's often no tacklers within miles of him when he reaches the line of scrimmage or beyond. You'll often see him take an outside run, and it's clear skies....

Stick Tate in there, and you don't notice a difference.

That's how an elite offensive line can make your running back look really, really good.

Arian Foster is fast, but he's not overly fast. He's not particularly elusive, doesn't make people miss, doesn't break many tackles, and isn't particularly good at getting extra yards after contact.

But, there's often no tacklers within miles of him when he reaches the line of scrimmage or beyond. You'll often see him take an outside run, and it's clear skies....

Stick Tate in there, and you don't notice a difference.

That's how an elite offensive line can make your running back look really, really good.

Im actually hoping (beyond hope probably) that once Arians deal is done that we get an offensive coordinator that installs the zone blocking scheme again, I love how Zone blocking work when done correctly

Ballard and Carter were Reading the blocking and making moves.

Brown just runs into the line and often moving Towards the defender. Ya, he gets outside now and then for good yards.

Ballard was making moves for a total 56 yards before a missed tackle inflated that, he also gave up a sack, dont get me wrong I love the running style but with as many spread formations as we use and as much as we use our running backs to block Brown is the clear cut answer, that and he is averaing 4.0 ypc behind an interior O Line that is clarly not fit for the blocking scheme Arians wants

I like what New England is doing with the 3 Headed Monster approach...the time of the feature back is long gone...

RB by committee is the smartest way to ensure longevity of your rb corps....I think Brown is the prototypical 3rd down back....but Ballard is an every down back and Carter makes an excellent change of pace back...he looked great yesterday....

Ahh, prototypical 3rd down backs can block and catch.

Ballard shoukd get the starting job period. 84 hards yesterday and vshould power, speed and agility. He is a staright on type that is not afraid of contact. He is BETTER than Brown. Case closed.

This is a joke Lol Ballard isn't better than Brown... Brown is the more complete back and if brown was the RB he could have well reached a 100yds with the holes they were opening.

Ballard has a more juke style of running but brown knows how to break tackles as well and will put his head down when needed.

Ballard and Carter were Reading the blocking and making moves.

Brown just runs into the line and often moving Towards the defender. Ya, he gets outside now and then for good yards.

Both carter and Ballard are known to dance behind the line.... hmmm who was that other back that did the same thing for the colts? Oh yea addai and look how many ppl wanted him gone one year

Brown picks the right hole and runs through it.. I'd there is no hole you run into your lineman's back... its common sense and football 101... go vertical not horizontal

I don't think you are looking into this very thoroughly. Ballard was terrible against the Jets and Cleveland has the 27th ranked run defense. I know you will hear this enough from other people, but the o-line is the issue not Brown. (I like Ballard's potential)

I think we should play all three of them. Browns the fastest the other two are power backs. If our defense starts holding teams to under 20 points and we can run the ball and luck tears it up through the air we'd be practically unstoppable. It would be cool if ballard carter and brown had 100 yard games

Ballard is a rook...just like our QB.....Donald Brown was terrible as a pass blocker as a rook......he has improved in that area immeasurably.

I will continue to say....what a great 'problem' to have...4 backs who can play! Situational football? We did more on 3rd and short against the Browns than we have in years...and most of it was Carter (other than his one bad run)

As Arians stated in another thread...balance won that game. We would have lost if number 12 had to throw more....off in his game.

Does anyone remember all of the posters saying we were going to be blown out by the Browns.....and run over by Richardson? This old dog said "Put a helmet on him" and we did! Go Colts! I hope DB is back and healthy next week....and lets go get the Titans! :pass: :huthut:

Ballard is the best overall back and will see more playing time going forward. Brown has no field vision whatsoever and can only hit an open hole...nothing else. Case closed, simple as that, it's no joke (have I forgotten any cliches that have been used in this thread?).

To say the day of the feature back is in the past in the NFL, I give you:

Adrian Peterson

Arian Foster

Chris Johnson

MJD

Matt Forte

Frank Gore

Marshawn Lynch

Ray Rice

Darren McFadden

I am sure there are a bunch of other teams that wished they had an Peterson, Foster, MJD, Rice, etc. to be their feature back.

Of those nine guys..there are 32 teams...1/2 are old

Its a passing league......

Good to hear from you, Mr. Ballard....

We like your son here in Indy......hope you can visit for Thanksgiving and Christmas..

Of those nine guys..there are 32 teams...1/2 are old

Its a passing league......

Just because the rules that are now enforced beg you to pass that doesn't mean its wise to do so down after down like the Saints do, the run game is and always will be needed

Ballard is the best overall back and will see more playing time going forward. Brown has no field vision whatsoever and can only hit an open hole...nothing else. Case closed, simple as that, it's no joke (have I forgotten any cliches that have been used in this thread?).

Hmmm... are you supposed to hit a closed hole? That doesn't sound like a particularly productive approach.... :loco:

Ballard had 58 yards on 19 carries before Sheldon Brown forgot how to wrap up and tackle which lead to the 26 yard run and Brown is better then Ballard in pass protection, also are some forgetting 84 yards on 17 carries by Brown vs Green Bay?

Of course. He is the only back in the league that requires blocking to get any yardage. How foolish of us to waste a roster spot with him.

Umm... No. Every back needs blocking to get yardage. I thought that was pretty obvious. Otherwise, why even bother with an offensive line?

Of course. He is the only back in the league that requires blocking to get any yardage. How foolish of us to waste a roster spot with him.

Umm... No. Every back needs blocking to get yardage. I thought that was pretty obvious. Otherwise, why even bother with an offensive line?

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm. I hope like heck...