Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 3rd ranked Pass Defense

HtownColt

Our Rush Defense isn't good right now. minus MJD and Shonn Greene. our rush defense has been respectable but MJD and Greene just single handely destroyed us.

While our rush defense is the weakness our pass defense ranks 3rd in the NFL giving up just 200yrds passing. http://www.nfl.com/stats/team

Granted the Jags and Jets didnt have to throw since they were running at will. but our pass defense has been pretty good since the bears game. Least our defense has something to feel good about right now and lean on. Now just have to tighten up the run defense. One game they can stop Adrian Peterson and the Packers rush attack. then one week its MJD and Shonn Greene running wild. Its just hit and miss as far as our rush defense goes have to get more consistent in that category

We will NOT be the 3rd ranked pass defense by the end of the 2012 season.

Just remember what the opening game against Chicago looked like.... not pretty.

Too few games to get a true read.... and, as others have noted here, the main reason is because teams are beating us running the ball with relative ease....

So, at best, it's misleading....

We'll know for sure by the end of the season....

Just remember what the opening game against Chicago looked like.... not pretty.

Too few games to get a true read.... and, as others have noted here, the main reason is because teams are beating us running the ball with relative ease....

So, at best, it's misleading....

We'll know for sure by the end of the season....

Oh i wasn't aware that you can see the future. would you mind giving me this week's lottery numbers

Wow, that's actually pretty good. But like others said, it's a combination of the break week and the man known as MJD.

The Colts had a bye week last Sunday on the passing game so those stats are misconstrued

we had the first byes too prob a big facter

That stat has nothing to do with the Bye week. As Superman pointed out, that ranking is by yards per game, so the bye week is accounted for. The Colts are 3rd in the league in only allowing 200.0 yards per game, only behind San Francisco (183.2 ypg) and Dallas (181.6 ypg). I do agree though that this is because teams are finding it easier to run the ball on our defense. In Rushing yards per game allowed we come in at #29 allowing 159.0 ypg.

Colts are Tied at #13 in points per game allowed with 20.0 points per game, and are #13 in sacks per game averaging 2.6 sacks per game. This was a bit higher last week (I think we were tied at #7) but after only getting 1 sack against the Jets we dropped a few places.

Oh i wasn't aware that you can see the future. would you mind giving me this week's lottery numbers

Really? You find my statement hard to believe? Seriously?

A team with precious little talent and lots of injuries is currently 3rd best in pass defense. I say we will not be 3rd by the end of the year. And you want to challenge that? Really? Heck, technically, we could finish 4th and I'd be correct. But we both know that's not what I mean.

We're simply not that good.

Would you like to re-visit this issue at the end of the year to see if I'm right or wrong? I'm fine with that.....

Otherwise..... what's your point?

That stat has nothing to do with the Bye week. As Superman pointed out, that ranking is by yards per game, so the bye week is accounted for. The Colts are 3rd in the league in only allowing 200.0 yards per game, only behind San Francisco (183.2 ypg) and Dallas (181.6 ypg). I do agree though that this is because teams are finding it easier to run the ball on our defense. In Rushing yards per game allowed we come in at #29 allowing 159.0 ypg.

Colts are Tied at #13 in points per game allowed with 20.0 points per game, and are #13 in sacks per game averaging 2.6 sacks per game. This was a bit higher last week (I think we were tied at #7) but after only getting 1 sack against the Jets we dropped a few places.

Bye week meaning the secondary didnt have much of a task from sanchez so took it easy and that goes for blaine as well

A few things here.

1) The difference of Yards Per Game between teams is by a fairly small margin at this point in the season.

2) Our YPG looks better because opponents rush more. Our loss to the Jets is proof since they only had 99 yards and creamed us.

3) Additional evidence to support no. 2: Only one other team has less passing attempts than us. (the Cowboys).

4) We are among only 5 teams who have 2 or less interceptions.

So my feelings are that at best we are around the middle of the pack or worse in terms of our overall talent.

It's because teams run on us. It happened in the past with Peyton also. We've always ranked high in Pass D and last in Run D. Even though I think we have one of the best Pass D lineups with VD, Jerraud, Vaughn, Bethea, & Zib (when he's on), our run d sucks. We need bigger LB's and better dline man outside of Cory Redding.

It's because teams run on us. It happened in the past with Peyton also. We've always ranked high in Pass D and last in Run D. Even though I think we have one of the best Pass D lineups with VD, Jerraud, Vaughn, Bethea, & Zib (when he's on), our run d sucks. We need bigger LB's and better dline man outside of Cory Redding.

The bigger stouter players will come

Its cause everyone runs. I know they can limit it though, they did it against the Vikes. No consistency however.

I remember in 2006 the pass D was ranked first at one point in the season and the run D dead last.

Yep our pass defense being ranked so high is more of a product of our inability to consistently stop the run. Why pass the ball when you can just run the ball and eat up five or six yards a carry?

Yep our pass defense being ranked so high is more of a product of our inability to consistently stop the run. Why pass the ball when you can just run the ball and eat up five or six yards a carry?

The Jets ran twice as much as we did, and had a higher yards/play average. So yeah, why pass when your run game is dominating?

Credit where due: We did well against the Vikings, and outside of Rodgers scrambles and the Alex Green carry, we did well against the Packers. But the run defense still has a ways to go.

To be very honest, I hate these early part of the season statistics. In general going forward, run defense will probably be ranked poorly and pass defense ranked pretty well. These things can always change going forward. Especially with injuries and even more so with new coaches and system.

The bigger stouter players will come

I understand that bigger does not necessarily equal a better run defense or defense period, but we are in the position now where we can draft or sign big players that play at a high caliber lol. I mean look at Ray Lewis (Not this year obviously). He's kind of undersized for an LB even with his outstanding tackling abilities. But you know why it took him 16 years to get hurt? Why he is able to make all those tackles? Because he always had a BIG blocking NT playing for him, whether it was Siragusa or Ngata. You can get away with undersized players of you have bigger players backing them up. But our formula with a team full of undersized players only worked once. Even then we had Booger and a couple of other larger players.

I understand that bigger does not necessarily equal a better run defense or defense period, but we are in the position now where we can draft or sign big players that play at a high caliber lol. I mean look at Ray Lewis (Not this year obviously). He's kind of undersized for an LB even with his outstanding tackling abilities. But you know why it took him 16 years to get hurt? Why he is able to make all those tackles? Because he always had a BIG blocking NT playing for him, whether it was Siragusa or Ngata. You can get away with undersized players of you have bigger players backing them up. But our formula with a team full of undersized players only worked once. Even then we had Booger and a couple of other larger players.

That reasoning is specious, at best. First of all, this isn't the first time Ray Lewis has been hurt. In both 2002 and 2005, he missed more than half the season.

Beyond that, Lewis is a great linebacker because he's a great linebacker, without regard for who is around him. He's able to make a bunch of tackles because a) he knows how to find the ball, and b) he's a good tackler. It absolutely helps that he has good (not just big) linemen in front of him, and has his entire career. But that's not what makes him good.

Also, I don't understand this reasoning that he's undersized. He's not. He's the typical size for an inside linebacker in the NFL. Compared to Brian Urlacher, everyone is undersized; that guy is huge. But Ray Lewis has good size for his position, and it's served him well for the better part of two decades.

I get the desire to have bigger players, but size doesn't equal ability. Antonio Johnson beefed up significantly this offseason, and he's not any better because of it. We need a better nose tackle, not a bigger nose tackle. And honestly, I think if we do that, improve our safety play overall, and get a nice three or four man rotation at corner, we have the pieces necessary to be a top 15 defense.

Why pass when you can run? We had pretty good pass defense when the Jags ran on us for 375 a few years back.

Third and long is the bane of our existence on D. We seem to find new and incredible ways not to get off the field. Perhaps no greater example of how poor our passing D plays is our third down D.

Our passing D is not good. At times, it was consistently decent in the past. Chalk that up to people being scared poopless of Frathis (not any more) when the offense got the lead and opponents HAD to throw.

Our run D is not good. Outside the 2006 playoff stretch, I can't remember it ever being consistently good. Just a flash for a game or two then back to sucking for 9/10 games.

Our D is not good.

We might be.

This year we get to play Blaine Gabbert (x2), Jake Locker (x2), Mark Sanchez, Brandon Weeden, Ryan Tannehill, Christian Ponder, and Matt Cassell/Brady Quinn. That's 9 games.

We might be.

This year we get to play Blaine Gabbert (x2), Jake Locker (x2), Mark Sanchez, Brandon Weeden, Ryan Tannehill, Christian Ponder, and Matt Cassell/Brady Quinn. That's 9 games.

Honestly, that's a very, very good point that I did not consider. That said, I don't think it's a stretch to say we could fall to 4th, (or lower) even with all those poor to mediocre QB's that we face.

Still... props to you for pointing that out. Seriously, good job. :thmup:

We might be.

Ponder is a good QB, Tannehill has thrown for over 400 yards and Weeden is starting to turn the corner. Don't get to excited. We may not even play Locker since he has been hurt.

That reasoning is specious, at best. First of all, this isn't the first time Ray Lewis has been hurt. In both 2002 and 2005, he missed more than half the season.

Beyond that, Lewis is a great linebacker because he's a great linebacker, without regard for who is around him. He's able to make a bunch of tackles because a) he knows how to find the ball, and b) he's a good tackler. It absolutely helps that he has good (not just big) linemen in front of him, and has his entire career. But that's not what makes him good.

Also, I don't understand this reasoning that he's undersized. He's not. He's the typical size for an inside linebacker in the NFL. Compared to Brian Urlacher, everyone is undersized; that guy is huge. But Ray Lewis has good size for his position, and it's served him well for the better part of two decades.

I get the desire to have bigger players, but size doesn't equal ability. Antonio Johnson beefed up significantly this offseason, and he's not any better because of it. We need a better nose tackle, not a bigger nose tackle. And honestly, I think if we do that, improve our safety play overall, and get a nice three or four man rotation at corner, we have the pieces necessary to be a top 15 defense.

On Ray, I am not taking away from his talents. He will go down as a TOP 3 LB when it's all said and done. But no one can deny the impact of a good NT, especially when you had a HOF and a future one in Ngata. Ray has ALWAYS had a good line and that allows him to run freely like he does. To be honest, I might be in the majority here, but what I see from Ray is he may read plays like no other and tackle like a beast, but he is not the best block shedder. As someone on ESPN said, people are not scared to run at Ray Lewis anymore. It's pretty hard for a LB to do his job when he has an OL in his face and that has been happening to Ray in recent years.

All I'm saying is with the way Ray play's, he should be injured a lot more than he is, and it is because he's mostly been protected by a strong dline. I guess to put it simple, he can play at the intensity he has been playing at for so long because he's had a good dline which allows him to run freely and get a lot of clean hits and setups.

Now onto size. In the NFL, size isn't everything, but it means ALOT when you can use your size and skill together. Let's use ourselves for an example. On a skill level, we probably have one of the best DE duos in the NFL with Freeney & Mathis, but on an overall scale, they are pretty much useless outside of a pass play. They are undersized, Freeney and MAthis get pushed around when they are on the line. In our previous defense, we had LB's playing DE.

Now people will say that our 06 defense was undersized with Thorton & Cato (both 225) as examples, but you gotta remember, this goes back to having a good NT/DT. That year we had Booger who was bullying OL when he had the chance. That allowed our LB's to roam and attack. Not to mention Bob screaming down and providing support because he was virtually untouched. At some positions in the NFL you might not need size but on the line, size is a must. Most strong defense have size in the front 7. To be honest, there are not many great defenses who didn't have a strong DT/NT upfront.

The DT/NT hold the OL, LB's roam freely and make tackles. DT/NT don't hold the OL, OL move to next level and put heads on the LB's, Rb's run freely.