Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You?

Dark Superman

Cleveland Browns WR Josh Gordon is set to become an FA after the 2017 season. He's still only 26 years old and off the field, issues have plagued his career. So would you take a chance on him if he hit the open market? I would in a heartbeat. Could you imagine this offense if they drafted Saquon Barkley and then brought in Josh Gordon to be our #2 WR behind Hilton. Gordon is in unbelievable shape and he's a big, strong, physical wideout, who can do it all. 

I've always been a fan of the guy and always wanted him to play for the colts, as long as he was able to get past the issues he had in the past. The Browns will most likely try to lure him back in Cleveland, but he might want to test the market first.

Josh Gordon playing in a Colts uniform in 2018. Yes or no?

You need to remember....    the odds are pretty decent that he will relapse again.

And he'd be lost again for a large chunk of the season?    All of the season?    

Is he really worth all that?     My instincts say Ballard will avoid the potential headache...

I like Gordon.    I'm pulling for him to succeed.    But he comes with a huge set of baggage.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You need to remember....    the odds are pretty decent that he will relapse again.

And he'd be list again for a large chunk of the season?    All of the season?    

Is he really worth all that?     My instincts say Ballard will avoid the potential headache...

I like Gordon.    I'm pulling for him to succeed.    But he comes with a huge set of baggage.

The off the field issues concern me, but if the price was right, I would definitely take a chance on him.

If Ballard gave him a fair contract loaded with incentives I would be on board with that.

It all depends on the money, sure I'd take a chance on him for cheap, if he keeps his nose clean he's better than Moncreif could dream of being. Something like a 1-2 year deal that's mostly incentive based deal would be a good move if Ballard could pull it off.

Josh Gordon will finish this season with less than 6 games played, not earning him an accrued season. That leaves him at 2 official accrued seasons, which should leave him as an ERFA for the Browns, should it not? Thats what his upcoming status is listed as on Sportrac. 

If thats the case, why would Cleveland let him walk when they have him locked up for another 2 seasons for pennies on the dollar? ERFA salary is minimum salary, and then next yr hes a RFA, which should be just over 4M for a 1st round tender. 

Seems like a bit of a pipe dream at this point....

39 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Josh Gordon will finish this season with less than 6 games played, not earning him an accrued season. That leaves him at 2 official accrued seasons, which should leave him as an ERFA for the Browns, should it not? Thats what his upcoming status is listed as on Sportrac. 

If thats the case, why would Cleveland let him walk when they have him locked up for another 2 seasons for pennies on the dollar? ERFA salary is minimum salary, and then next yr hes a RFA, which should be just over 4M for a 1st round tender. 

...a pipe dream.

That kind of sums it up regarding Gorden.

46 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I believe this is correct. Doesn't mean that CLE won't try to trade him though.

17 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I like a team full of players I respect, the league can respect and my kids can look up to. josh Gordon hasn’t earned any respect and is one of the last people I want my kids to look up to.

Your kids look up to you more than anyone on a court or field. Believe it:thmup:

21 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Cleveland Browns WR Josh Gordon is set to become an FA after the 2017 season. He's still only 26 years old and off the field, issues have plagued his career. So would you take a chance on him if he hit the open market? I would in a heartbeat. Could you imagine this offense if they drafted Saquon Barkley and then brought in Josh Gordon to be our #2 WR behind Hilton. Gordon is in unbelievable shape and he's a big, strong, physical wideout, who can do it all. 

I've always been a fan of the guy and always wanted him to play for the colts, as long as he was able to get past the issues he had in the past. The Browns will most likely try to lure him back in Cleveland, but he might want to test the market first.

I know the Browns didn't have him in there future plans so its possible he could be had if the new guy there feels the same . I don't see why he would be our number 2 though he is a much more complete receiver than Hilton .  

On 15/12/2017 at 5:42 AM, NewColtsFan said:

And he'd be lost again for a large chunk of the season?    All of the season?    

Easily fixed within the context of the contract. Set stipulations and requirements. If he relapsed, zero pay. Low risk, high reward.

On 12/15/2017 at 12:35 AM, Dark Superman said:

No way, no more punks.

27 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Easily fixed within the context of the contract. Set stipulations and requirements. If he relapsed, zero pay. Low risk, high reward.

It depends on what the other teams offer him.       At some point, on some level,  it could become a bidding war.

And then what?      How high are you willing to go?      How much guaranteed?      How much up front?     Yes, the Devil is in the details,   I'm only pointing out that signing Gordon is easier said than done.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

It depends on what the other teams offer him.       At some point, on some level,  it could become a bidding war.

And then what?      How high are you willing to go?      How much guaranteed?      How much up front?     Yes, the Devil is in the details,   I'm only pointing out that signing Gordon is easier said than done.

Well of course, but I was speaking strictly on how any contract could fix that problem. We could delve into the minutiae of it all, but a contract can just be bonus loaded, and dependant on him passing more frequent tests, having no off field issues, participation in community outreach programs, on field performance, etc.

Less guarantees but higher ceiling if all requirements are met.

15 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Well of course, but I was speaking strictly on how any contract could fix that problem. We could delve into the minutiae of it all, but a contract can just be bonus loaded, and dependant on him passing more frequent tests, having no off field issues, participation in community outreach programs, on field performance, etc.

Less guarantees but higher ceiling if all requirements are met.

Right.....     I understand what you're sayng and basically agree with the concept....

But if/when we make a reasonable offer,  and some other team makes a more generous offer with better terms for Gordon --- then what?       Do we match or beat that offer?      How far are you willing to go to get the guy you want?

Or do we hold with our original offer and if someone else wants to gamble and risk more with a better offer then we say...    "fine, good luck to you.    Hope it works out for you elsewhere."       Is that OK too?

The problem with Gordon is that he would occupy a roster spot that would otherwise go to a more reliable person.  I'm sure Ballard will target some WRs though FA and the draft.  If all of those targets fail to come on with the Colts, then maybe giving Gordon a roster spot is nothing to lose.

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right.....     I understand what you're sayng and basically agree with the concept....

But if/when we make a reasonable offer,  and some other team makes a more generous offer with better terms for Gordon --- then what?       Do we match or beat that offer?      How far are you willing to go to get the guy you want?

Or do we hold with our original offer and if someone else wants to gamble and risk more with a better offer then we say...    "fine, good luck to you.    Hope it works out for you elsewhere."       Is that OK too?

Oh I'm not advocating to get him necessarily, just speaking on an idea on how to incentivize him to act accordingly. Of course there's a limit and idk what that may be.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The problem with Gordon is that he would occupy a roster spot that would otherwise go to a more reliable person.  I'm sure Ballard will target some WRs though FA and the draft.  If all of those targets fail to come on with the Colts, then maybe giving Gordon a roster spot is nothing to lose.

You sound like you assume Gordon is going to linger on the market with no interest from other teams while we talk to the other free agents. I think there will be other interested teams and he's not going to just be sitting there for us as a back up plan if no other option works out. 

20 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Maybe for a 1 year prove it deal.

No way he signs a one yr deal even IF he's available which I don't think he will be. 

He will cost cost way to much and we have other needs.   WR could be addressed in the draft if that is what is needed. 

Moncreif will benefit from having Luck back and an offensive game plan that isn't foolish 

6 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

No way he signs a one yr deal even IF he's available which I don't think he will be. 

He will cost cost way to much and we have other needs.   WR could be addressed in the draft if that is what is needed. 

Moncreif will benefit from having Luck back and an offensive game plan that isn't foolish 

Moncrief is fragile and will never live up to his potential.

On 12/15/2017 at 1:46 PM, SaturdayAllDay said:

I think this should wrap up this thread.   Cleveland is not trading him.