Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2nd Half

PuntersArePeopleToo

I'm not a fan of Chuck and I agree that we are thin on talent in certain areas. HOWEVER,  I blame the loss mainly on Chud once again. Running the ball up the gut wasn't working and long developing pass plays wasn't working, so what does Chud call? More running plays up the middle and long developing pass plays, ugh!! No 2nd half or 4th quarter adjudtments, just the same old plays. I felt bad for Brissett, he was getting killed behind our O-line. Compatent coaches with a week O-line call quick slants,  roll outs, short dump offs to RB's and TE's, etc., especially when being blitzed every time the QB drops back. Chud needs to go asap!

13 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

I'm not a fan of Chuck and I agree that we are thin on talent in certain areas. HOWEVER,  I blame the loss mainly on Chud once again. Running the ball up the gut wasn't working and long developing pass plays wasn't working, so what does Chud call? More running plays up the middle and long developing pass plays, ugh!! No 2nd half or 4th quarter adjudtments, just the same old plays. I felt bad for Brissett, he was getting killed behind our O-line. Compatent coaches with a week O-line call quick slants,  roll outs, short dump offs to RB's and TE's, etc., especially when being blitzed every time the QB drops back. Chud needs to go asap!

Chuck obviously wants a vertical passing game....that's what the colts have had since he was hired.  Talent be damned, that's what the colts are going to run.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Luck, Kelly, Swoope, Goode, Geathers, Mack, Rogers and Wilson. Pretty good list of players.        The question is: can they get to .500 or better until they return?

Nobody is running away with the Division.

This is a week to week league. Tennessee gets blown out. The Jags lose to the Jets. The Pats and Raiders are 2-2. 

What I saw last night were things that can be corrected: missed assignments, dropped passes, miss tackles, stupid penalties. That's on the players.

If they don't get these things cleaned up, it's going to be a long season with key players returning too late to make a difference.

If however, they start to play better and get some wins, they would be right in the thick of the battle for the division. They could peak at the right time. This season is far from over.

I think you are right.  I'm not as upset as I thought I would be.  I have no doubt if we had Luck and a healthy Kelly and Good we would not have a losing record.  Brissett cost us the Cardinals game and this one too for the most part. He cost us 14 points and he turned the momentum over to the Seahawks in their own building.  He does have potential though and I'm hoping he can find a way not to lose the 49'er game.  The defense is markedly improved and with a real quarterback we can easily turn this thing around and make the playoffs.  We just need to stay close for now and get hot at the end of the year when it really matters. 

10 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Chuck obviously wants a vertical passing game....that's what the colts have had since he was hired.  Talent be damned, that's what the colts are going to run.

That's what killing me as well, that pick 6 was almost identical to the sideline throw Tolzien threw for a pick 6 opening day.

22 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Yup. I'm not a huge Chud fan, he's not blameless, but some people are too quick to put all the blame on him. This offense has had way too similar of problems going from Pep to Chud.

3 minutes ago, IinD said:

That's what killing me as well, that pick 6 was almost identical to the sideline throw Tolzien threw for a pick 6 opening day.

Those were not vertical throws.  They were sideline throws with the QB's staring down the receivers making them both responsible. Poor QB play.  Not on Chud on all of those pick 6's.  All on the QB's. 

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Those were not vertical throws.  They were sideline throws with the QB's staring down the receivers making them both responsible. Poor QB play.  Not on Chud on all of those pick 6's.  All on the QB's. 

My point was you should know if your guys can throw that route. Obviously they can't. That play goes to the end of the playbook Chud.

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Luck, Kelly, Swoope, Goode, Geathers, Mack, Rogers and Wilson. Pretty good list of players.        The question is: can they get to .500 or better until they return?

This is a week to week league. Tennessee gets blown out. The Jags lose to the Jets. The Pats and Raiders are 2-2. 

What I saw last night were things that can be corrected: missed assignments, dropped passes, miss tackles, stupid penalties. That's on the players.

If they don't get these things cleaned up, it's going to be a long season with key players returning too late to make a difference.

If however, they start to play better and get some wins, they would be right in the thick of the battle for the division. They could peak at the right time. This season is far from over.

Lol no one said the issues couldn't be corrected. All issues can be corrected. Pagano won't correct them though. 

No offense but we've heard this argument the past 2 years and it's old. This is the same injuries and "Colts beat themselves " excuses. It's tired. And it's an pointless statement. It's basically saying "If everyone was healthy and the Colts didn't make any mistakes, they would have won ". But you can say that for any football team that loses a game.

And all those issues that can be cleaned up, Pagano has talked about cleaning up for 6 years now and still hasn't. It's fixable but not under this staff.

Have to agree. The offensive line won’t be as bad once Kelly returns, but it needs addressed next season. 

9 hours ago, Qcolts said:

Moncrief has to be more involved in the game plan. TY and Moncrief are the only playmakers on this offense. Doyle can help move the chains, but Aiken is worthless and Gore is still solid, but he is no big play threat either. We have Aiken playing over moncrief in two wide sets, which makes no sense because Aiken has shown nothing in his time here. 

Aiken can't get himself open. Really, neither can Moncrief, just not a route runner.

11 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Offense needs to stop giving the other team points. Seriously. 

What a disappointing end to what was a brilliant display in the first half by the defense. 

On the bright side, at least the defense gets picks now. 6 in 4 games after 8 all of last season. . 

Yes, the defense played well. You give Seattle 14 points plus an extra point when you should NOT go for 2, it's hard to stay strong

1 hour ago, IinD said:

My point was you should know if your guys can throw that route. Obviously they can't. That play goes to the end of the playbook Chud.

My point is that both of those guys can throw that route or they would not be in the NFL.  It's not Chud's fault that they telegraph the throw and stare down the receiver.  That throw is in every playbook and it should be.  They should be smart enough to throw it away and not force it or find another option if they have the time.  Hopefully Brissett learns from his mistake.

Just now, richard pallo said:

My point is that both of those guys can throw that route or they would not be in the NFL.  It's not Chud's fault that they telegraph the throw and stare down the receiver.  That throw is in every playbook and it should be.  They should be smart enough to throw it away and not force it or find another option if they have the time.  Hopefully Brissett learns from his mistake.

I don't buy they can both make that throw though. They haven't shown they can.

Chud went away from the screens for some reason after they actually worked.

No idea why. Plus, stop with the first down run up the gut for 2.

Very disappointed in the OC.

We had been using a mush rush the entire game to keep Wilson in the pocket. Then on 3rd & 10 in the 3rd quarter, we run some stunts with a 4 man rush with NO SPY...  Of course, Wilson escapes the pocket and runs 23 yards for a touchdown. Why get cute on such a crucial down???  That TD gave them confidence and I don't think we ever stopped them after that. The flood gates opened. 

51 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

that is definitely at least in part a coaching issue.

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Am I the only one who's not severely disappointed by this game? I thought the guys played well for most of the game, but just the quality of Seahawks D finally punctured our resolve and confidence and when it happened it was like a dam broke. We just don't have the required talent and coaching to go against the best teams, yet. Seattle has its own problems but one thing they have that is absolutely elite is their defense. Without Luck we are not good enough at anything in order to stand against the elite units of the league. I'm kinda encouraged that we managed to stave off the flood for that long.

We are just starting to fill the roster with competent players. It will take some time but I like the direction and some of our young pieces. IMO next off-season Ballard needs to focus on O-line, RB, passrush, ILB with good coverage ability because none of ours are even average in coverage right now. If he manages to fix half of them in free agency and half of them through the draft, this will be a great start to his tenure.

p.s. oh yeah... he needs to fix the coaching position too...

A followup comment on our ILBs... It seems as though CB, Chuck, et. al. go for thumping run suffers over versatile ILBs who might not be quite as punishing against the run, but can cover better. Bostic, Morrison and DQJ are my prime examples.

Opposing teams with a good TE or a good pass catching RB have been able to march down the field relentlessly with crossing routes across the middle as a result. I am not nearly enamored with Bostic as CB and CP apparently are.

This is something that has been consistent with Chuck.  In the Grigson era we had this problem and now it looks like it will be the same thing with Ballard.  Even with 2 complete roster overhauls, we suck in the 2nd half.  That isn't the players, that's definitely the coach.

One thing that is becoming clear given the savvy roster clean up that has taken place is that Ballard is no *. He knew or had a pretty good inclination Pagano was practically useless when he took the job. Given the flashes of great play, particularly on the defensive side of the ball over the last four games, I know this team is rapidly improving and in good hands. When Ballard can finally bring in his own coaching staff as he has started to do with the roster, I believe that further improvement will take place. The team visibly gave up at one point during the third quarter last night. We can sit here and analyze the tape or the schemes, etc, but the bottom line is that fundamentals just completely broke down. How the heck is that not a direct reflection on the coaching staff? Three or four straight games where the team is obliterated in the second half is no fluke...

3 hours ago, J@son said:

that is definitely at least in part a coaching issue.

If it is in part a coaching issue, and a very small part if at all, it's on our QB coach; Schottenheimer not Chud.  I can not believe a QB playing in the NFL has never been coached on staring down the receiver.  That's high school and college coaching.  They have been coached.  It's all about how they handle pressure and making the right decision.  Tolzein and Brissett make too many wrong decisions.  That's why they're backups.  Brissett is really a rookie so he has a chance to improve.  But if he keeps making dumb decisions he will be a backup for his career.  Hopefully he learns from his mistakes.  I would like him to really improve so Ballard can move him in this QB starved league. I would rather have a smart veteran as Luck's backup like a Hasselbeck.  At least the dumb mistakes would be minimized. 

16 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

To the bolded, I fully agree.

The coaches, however, set the scheme on D and call the plays on the O.

The player execution on both sides of the ball in the 1st drives of the 2nd half was absolutely atrocious.  Hankins with the dumb pushing penalty was bush league.  He's a vet who knows better than to do that.

I agree completely.  The lack of discipline coming out of the locker room was frustrating to watch.  There were four defensive penalties on that opening drive of the third quarter.  Four.  

They played such a disciplined first half, overcame a huge pick six, responded well, stopped the run, and it all vanished from that opening Seattle drive of the second half.   

10 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Do you think he's the only coach saying that? He says that because it's the truth. What do expect him to say; we need better players ?

He says it a lot bit I see no evidence of things being fixed. Team has a lot of the same problems from the first year he was here. And he and the staff make a lot of the same bonehead decisions over and over. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If it is in part a coaching issue, and a very small part if at all, it's on our QB coach; Schottenheimer not Chud.  I can not believe a QB playing in the NFL has never been coached on staring down the receiver.  That's high school and college coaching.  They have been coached.  It's all about how they handle pressure and making the right decision.  Tolzein and Brissett make too many wrong decisions.  That's why they're backups.  Brissett is really a rookie so he has a chance to improve.  But if he keeps making dumb decisions he will be a backup for his career.  Hopefully he learns from his mistakes.  I would like him to really improve so Ballard can move him in this QB starved league. I would rather have a smart veteran as Luck's backup like a Hasselbeck.  At least the dumb mistakes would be minimized. 

It's the coaches job to help teach every aspect of playing QB at the NFL level. It's their jobs to help the QB refine every aspect of his game from throwing mechanics to footwork to reading defenses to looking off safeties. It's also their jobs to identify the players weaknesses and bad habits (such as staring down receivers) and helping to correct them. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's 100% on the coaches like some may be, but 50/50 is the best I can do :D