Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't believe Nate Hairston is ahead of Quincy Wilson on the depth chart

BlueShoe

I don't believe Nate Hairston is ahead of Quincy Wilson on the depth chart, and I believe people are reading WAY TOO much into it. It is really easy understand if we think about it. 

When we first drafted Quincy, I made a post on this board - Who will play RCB? I posted this as a brain teaser, because Quincy always played RCB in college. His counterpart Teez played on the left side. As we all know (or should know by now) Vontae plays his best when lined up at RCB.

My point is, why would we start Wilson at LCB and then move him to RCB after the first series? We wouldn't. We would start Hairston at LCB and then bring Wilson in to play RCB after the first series, and that is exactly what we did.

I think as the preseason rolls along, we might find a way to coach-up Wilson on the left side. However, for now (and up until now) it makes sense that we would teach him what we do from a position he is more comfortable with.

That is not a knock on Hairston, because he is impressing the coaches. I think he will be a good player for us. 

I don't buy into the RCB and LCB as much as I buy into them seeing what they have in him and trial by fire. I believe he's showing up as more than expected but I highly doubt he's looked at of taking Wilson's spot personally. 

48 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Melvin will start before either of them.  

Maybe the first 2 games until he gets made look foolish back to back weeks. Melvin is nothing more than a mediocre number 4 corner. Our best bet is if 1-2 of Wilson, Hairston, and Mitchell (Yes the kid has potential lol) have solid seasons and I'm more than confident that probably Wilson will be the number 2 by the early weeks.

51 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I believe if Wilson would have played LCB in college then he would already be our starting number 2. 

Wilson is the second best corner on this team, and it is not even close.

I believe that by half way through the season, Hairston will be higher than Melvin on the depth chart. 

I'm with you Blue. These players develop kind of a muscle memory for a certain side and it's hard to switch it up every other down. It's one reason I was surprised to see Mewhort and Haeg switch sides. I would like to see them try Quincy out at LCB though, at least get him some preseason reps there. I do think Melvin starts though and Quincy plays a lot of slot corner with his ability to jam receivers and be active against the run. 

11 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

I'm with you Blue. These players develop kind of a muscle memory for a certain side and it's hard to switch it up every other down. It's one reason I was surprised to see Mewhort and Haeg switch sides. I would like to see them try Quincy out at LCB though, at least get him some preseason reps there. I do think Melvin starts though and Quincy plays a lot of slot corner with his ability to jam receivers and be active against the run. 

I could eventually see Wilson on the left side in a Sherman type of roll. We could play some zone on his side of the field, and let Vontae lock down the right side man-to-man. 

As you said, we might also try QW in the slot.

That said, there is an ugly side to this game. 

We have to think about the future. Vontae is in a contract year, and will be on the wrong side of 30 in 2018.

It is possible that we drafted Wilson to play RCB, because we do not plan on retaining Vontae after this season.

Since we're talking about young members of the secondary, let's mention Hooker. He didn't really show up in coverage, from what I saw; the Lions didn't really test him. But he did come down and hit aggressively, and had some nice tackles. He was a physical player today, and that's good to see. Hopefully he's in good shape for the next week of practice.

Another young DB that played well is TJ Green. He also didn't get tested in coverage, unfortunately, and we know his biggest issue is tracking the ball in the air and competing with the receiver along the way. But he was also fast, physical and aggressive when he came down in run support, using his arms instead of just dropping his head and shoulder and trying to hit, and in general made the play when he got there. He missed on the sack, failing to break down and wrap, but he did get his arms out and try to grab the QB's legs, instead of diving around recklessly. 

11 hours ago, aaron11 said:

wilson needs some time

looks like he has the talent to be a good player in this league, but teams will go after him if he starts right off the bat

There is no doubt on that.  I think all rookies get tested.  I loved Wilson getting the time to learn yesterday.  It was the best thing to happen in the very first action.

I always remember that we still have 4 weeks of learning.  Practicing against our receivers is a great thing.

READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!  :colts::colts:

I liked what I saw from Wilson for the most part. Although, is it just me or did he seem to get away with a couple plays that are flagged for DPI in most games?

I thought the refs were pretty laid back on the lack of DPI/holding calls, which I won't complain about. Those are game changers and I'd be happy if the league is trying to not be flag happy on any little contact between DB's and WR's.

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I liked what I saw from Wilson for the most part. Although, is it just me or did he seem to get away with a couple plays that are flagged for DPI in most games?

I thought the refs were pretty laid back on the lack of DPI/holding calls, which I won't complain about. Those are game changers and I'd be happy if the league is trying to not be flag happy on any little contact between DB's and WR's.

Yeah, he was a little grabby a couple of times.  Which in this game the refs were letting them do that.  Hopefully when he runs into a crew that doesn't allow that, he can adapt.

16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Yep, I said this before. With Quincy being a strong tackler, he could get a chance at the slot CB position for run support and jamming smaller wide outs that line up in the slot typically till he is ready to play outside, IMO, while Melvin mans the outside.

Hairston is getting his reps in case of injuries happening. Butler will be our nickel CB / free safety for us in nickel formations. I don't see Pagano playing 2 rookie CBs unless injuries force him to.

We all know that the depth chart will change a lot between now and Game 1.  Could this be motivational strategy for both Wilson and Hairston?  absolutely.   I saw Wilson's struggles to play the ball, though, whereas Hairston was invisible (always a good thing for a CB).  Without rewatching a preseason game (which I refuse to do), I'd say their positions on the chart proved apt!  At any rate, I bet Melvin starts Game 1...

Wilson was embarrassed by Golladay on a couple occasions. He was there in coverage but couldn't fight for the ball. One resulting in a TD catch. I wouldn't say anything Quincy Wilson did was fantastic but he was there in coverage at least. Need to see more of him though.

21 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't believe Nate Hairston is ahead of Quincy Wilson on the depth chart, and I believe people are reading WAY TOO much into it. It is really easy understand if we think about it. 

When we first drafted Quincy, I made a post on this board - Who will play RCB? I posted this as a brain teaser, because Quincy always played RCB in college. His counterpart Teez played on the left side. As we all know (or should know by now) Vontae plays his best when lined up at RCB.

My point is, why would we start Wilson at LCB and then move him to RCB after the first series? We wouldn't. We would start Hairston at LCB and then bring Wilson in to play RCB after the first series, and that is exactly what we did.

I think as the preseason rolls along, we might find a way to coach-up Wilson on the left side. However, for now (and up until now) it makes sense that we would teach him what we do from a position he is more comfortable with.

That is not a knock on Hairston, because he is impressing the coaches. I think he will be a good player for us. 

Just re-watching the game, and on the play where Vontae made the pass break up on Simons interception, (Lions first drive maybe 3rd or 4th snap)Wilson is lined up at LCB.

5 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Wilson was embarrassed by Golladay on a couple occasions. He was there in coverage but couldn't fight for the ball. One resulting in a TD catch. I wouldn't say anything Quincy Wilson did was fantastic but he was there in coverage at least. Need to see more of him though.

I'm not sure what you are talking about Gollisay only had 3 catches for 53 yards 2 TDs The first touchdown was not Q getting embarrassed.not even close. He was right thsre could he have got his head around more quickly probably but I'm not sure it would have mattered.  The kid made a great catch on a well placed ball. The second TD wasn't even Q on the coverage pretty sure it was Mitchel. He got Mitchel turned around a little.  

I thought Wilson played a pretty good first game. I think we all want to see more of him. It was the first action of his career

1 hour ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

Just re-watching the game, and on the play where Vontae made the pass break up on Simons interception, (Lions first drive maybe 3rd or 4th snap)Wilson is lined up at LCB.

Just went back to look, and you are correct.

However, Hairston was the starting LCB. 

That said, on Detroit's fourth play of the opening drive, QW subbed in at LCB.

Good catch! :thmup: