Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you see our starting linebackers being?

RockThatBlue

No telling yet, maybe Bostic and Spence on the inside... I think Walker will surprise some people when TC comes around.

It would be amazing for the team if Mingo could cash in on some of that potential he had coming into the league... The guy is blazing fast off the edge and he might be getting the most value out of Mathis' presence, considering they have somewhat similar attributes.

I'm not predicting anything here... I still think there is a chance he doesn't make the roster, but he is a wild card, for sure.

My guess is that Simon and Sheard will be starting on the outside, but I would just love to see Mingo and Basham break out and relegate those two to early downs and SAM work on passing downs. Not that I think that Sheard and Simon are slouches, by any means...

The issue with Mingo, if he has a great year, is that he is on a 1 year deal, so we'd have to pay the man if he steps up.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think as a group we will be better and faster but anything is better than last season.

Last years group of LBs were one of the worst I've seen the Colts have. Best one was probably Edwin Jackson and he wasn't even drafted.

39 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I see a huge upgrade in the running game, Hankins is a troublemaker in the middle and Bostic and Jackson are great against the run.  If Langford and Anderson and play at a high level this could really make our defense at top 15 or better 

Did you just say Bostic? Don't hold your breath with that name, given his recent history, that is all I am going to say. I am not optimistic on him.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Did you just say Bostic? Don't hold your breath with that name, given his recent history, that is all I am going to say. I am not optimistic on him.

I saw where he received a lot of run with the first team in OTA's...which means nothing.  I will be paying close attention to Walker this pre-season.

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He has always been a decent run stopper just not a great one but given the system we can see. 

I have a feeling Spence, if he stays healthy, will surprise and get another contract.  When I watch his film, he looks like a player who, for various reasons, injuries and whatnot, has fallen through the cracks.  Hopefully we are the beneficiary.  

52 minutes ago, #12. said:

I have a feeling Spence, if he stays healthy, will surprise and get another contract.  When I watch his film, he looks like a player who, for various reasons, injuries and whatnot, has fallen through the cracks.  Hopefully we are the beneficiary.  

I share your enthusiasm!

29 minutes ago, GoBlue12 said:

Sheard, ejax, Bostic, Simon. I hope other ILBs show enough to bump Morrison off the roster. Morrison can't cover and teams don't always run on 1st and 2nd downs.

Morrison isn't great vs the run unless it is right at him.  I don't see how he's on the roster with the talk of wanting guys who can cover and run. He does neither well. I thought for sure we were taking Robinson CB with that pick.

I think Philly still might part ways with Kendericks. I read they can't trade him because he will still count 5M toward this seasons cap as crazy as it sounds the article said a post 6/1 cut. 

If this were still the Grigson era, the starting linebackers would be the players that were drafted highest or given the biggest free agent contracts. Since it is now the Ballard era, I really believe that competition in preseason will determine the starters.

Am I the only one who thinks we may swap our starters to suit the teams we're facing?

Against a run-heavy team, start Spence and Walker Jr (or Morrison).

Against a pass-heavy team, start Bostic and Jackson.

Against a balance team, start Bostic and Spence.

3 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Am I the only one who thinks we may swap our starters to suit the teams we're facing?

Yeah I can see that.  If you're just talking about who starts the game for the first defensive play, that will depend on how our opponent usually starts the game and what personnel their offense shows for the first play.  I can see certain guys getting more playing time against certain teams, but it will probably depend more on in-game situations.  

If Luck has a fast start and we put the other team in an early hole, any team will be passing more late in the game.  However, if we get those traditional slow starts from our offense, we could see every team trying to run it late in games to prevent a comeback.

I think Bostic, Spence, and even Mingo are kind of role-players that are short-term fill-ins for this new defense under Ballard.  Hopefully, Jackson/Morrison and Walker really develop into every-down LBs this year.  We don't necessarily need a Ray Lewis or Luke Keuchly if we have two solid every-down MLBs.

3 hours ago, That Guy said:

I don't care who starts, I just hope we have someone who isn't a liability on passing downs and when we're in nickel. 

There was a lot of speculation that Geathers would be in the mix in dime packages. I'm guessing his neck injury and having better lbs has eliminated that possibity but who knows? If he's totally recovered he could be in the mix, in certain situations.

I would like to see them in pads ie preseason first before rendering an opinion. If I had to guess NOW, Run downs Morrison, Walker, Bostic the Middle guys, but like Jackson as well. Outside, Simon is differently one, & Mingo or the young drafty? Honestly its to early to tell. The only one I would say for sure is Simon!