Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Pats sign Blount again, I'll cry. May as well gift wrap them their SB rings.

ReMeDy

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/patriots-give-seldom-used-1-1-million-tender-legarrette-blount-201456676.html

The Pats used a loophole and he has until July 22nd or the Pats own his signing rights. I'm getting a case of deja vu. Once again, why are no teams taking a chance with Blount? Are so many GM's really that dense? It makes me sick because the Pats keep swooping in and signing him for cheap when all he does is win. He led the league in rushing TD's despite sharing the work load with Brady.

8 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/patriots-give-seldom-used-1-1-million-tender-legarrette-blount-201456676.html

The Pats used a loophole and he has until July 22nd or the Pats own his signing rights. I'm getting a case of deja vu. Once again, why are no teams taking a chance with Blount? Are so many GM's really that dense? It makes me sick because the Pats keep swooping in and signing him for cheap when all he does is win. He led the league in rushing TD's despite sharing the work load with Brady.

Blount is the least of our worries with the patriots.   He is nothing special.  If he was,  another team would have signed him

Given the talent they have at RB already, I have no problem with them signing Blount for another 1 yr deal. Its not like they are going to keep 5 rbs on the roster. One of Burkhead, Lewis, Gillisie or White will hit the market, costing them almost as much talent as they get back by signing Blount. 

Blount has flamed out with multiple teams and only seems to be successful with the Pats. Add in the fact that he has a terrible attitude and is a locker room cancer, it makes perfect sense why no one wants to touch him. 

I agree with the above, not really need for Blount at his age with those 4 versatile RBs they have. 3 of them were extended/signed for beyond this season too, so it's pretty unlikely that any of the would be cut to make room for Blount (not that any player is safe with the Pats, ever). And the 4th guy, Dion Lewis, might be the most talented of the group but with his injury issues and relatively short track record, he probably has more value for the Pats than the others.

Start cying.  Those wiley Pats used a seldom used "loop-hole" to make it difficult for him to sign anywhere.  They will have him this year for 1.1 milion dollars.  

Another kinda  cheesy move by the New England Asterisks.

tho Blount kinda deserves it for what he (with  help and direction from the hoody) did to the Steelers.

gotta give ne credit tho.  They know ALL the rules.  They often don't follow them, but they sure know them.

15 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

When he's been with other teams he's acted like a immature headcase.  I mean when he was with I think the Steelers he walked off the field before a game was over.  

Somehow when he plays for Belichick he's a team player.

That's why no one else signs him.  

Edit: After reading the article I have to say I have to admire how well the Pats master the rulebook.  While they flat out cheat they are also the first people to dig really deep into the rule book and use some rule that no one has ever heard of before to their advantage.  

I don't like cheating one bit.  But I admire a team that knows the rule book front to back and gets ahead because of that.  

Also with or without Blount you might as well gift wrap their rings now.  They won the SB last year and they only got better in the offseason and made a lot of win now moves.

The positive end of that is that I think Tom Brady might be close to calling it quits.  Pats don't usually make a lot of win now moves.  But this last offseason they traded their first and second round picks away for some players and signed one of the top FA CB's.  Reading between the lines I get the feeling that Brady might have told Belichik that he's planning on retiring after next season and Belichik is trying to make sure that they bring home one more ring with Brady.

I'm also noting that they didn't trade away Garappolo despite the fact that he's only got a year left on his rookie deal and they probably could have gotten at least a 2nd for him.  

I could be wrong but I get the feeling that the Pats are gonna go win themselves another ring.  Brady's gonna retire, and the Pats are going to re-sign Garappolo to be the starter in 2018.  

They will Repeat anyway, Brady will probably 3-peat to end his career and go undefeated in one of those years. Yeah they are they greatest thing ever (Since the Reese's Cup was invented anyway) and I bet people didn't know that Brady can even walk on water. True story, I read it on many Pats Fans Sites and hear on ESPN daily.

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They will Repeat anyway, Brady will probably 3-peat to end his career and go undefeated in one of those years. Yeah they are they greatest thing ever (Since the Reese's Cup was invented anyway) and I bet people didn't know that Brady can even walk on water. True story, I read it on many Pats Fans Sites and hear on ESPN daily.

You also forgot he can fly too, I've read that.  He's like superman, chris angel and the greatest football player of all time all in one!

41 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

You also forgot he can fly too, I've read that.  He's like superman, chris angel and the greatest football player of all time all in one!

Yeah my bad man lmao. How could I forget that! If push came to shove and we had an all-time Draft in here, I seriously doubt more than 5 people in here would take Tom Brady #1, there might be a few out 100's. A lot of people I know give Belichick more credit for them winning. I am talking building a team from scratch and Drafting players. I am taking Peyton Manning for my 1st pick. Brady is only recognized as the GOAT by many because he was a starter on 5 SB winners. I went away from the main topic because I don't think it matters whether Blount is a Patriot or not, they will still Repeat.

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah my bad man lmao. How could I forget that! If push came to shove and we had an all-time Draft in here, I seriously doubt more than 5 people in here would take Tom Brady #1, there might be a few out 100's. A lot of people I know give Belichick more credit for them winning. I am talking building a team from scratch and Drafting players. I am taking Peyton Manning for my 1st pick. Brady is only recognized as the GOAT by many because he was a starter on 5 SB winners. I went away from the main topic because I don't think it matters whether Blount is a Patriot or not, they will still Repeat.

I agree with everything you said.  I don't think there's a wrong answer picking Manning #1 or Brady #1 but like you said, I'd be interested to see how Brady fared with a different coach.  Peyton took 4 different coaches to the SB.

7 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I agree with everything you said.  I don't think there's a wrong answer picking Manning #1 or Brady #1 but like you said, I'd be interested to see how Brady fared with a different coach.  Peyton took 4 different coaches to the SB.

Brady probably deserves the GOAT label because of his accomplishments but in an al-time Draft I am taking Peyton. If we were to do an all-time Draft in basketball I would give you Jordan and take Magic and be ok with it :thmup: I guess that is my point.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brady probably deserves the GOAT label because of his accomplishments but in an al-time Draft I am taking Peyton. If we were to do an all-time Draft in basketball I would give you Jordan and take Magic and be ok with it :thmup: I guess that is my point.

Can't really go wrong with either of the two NBA players, but I'll take Jordan if your going to give him to me lol.

12 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Can't really go wrong with either of the two NBA players, but I'll take Jordan if your going to give him to me lol.

I know it's off topic and we can take it to the Basketball Thread after this but my best friend in Highschool was the biggest Michael Jordan ever, he even loved North Carolina LOL when Jordan was there. We once did an all-time Draft for fun, it was like back in 92 or 93 when Jordan was rolling going for a 3-peat. I gave him the first pick as long as I could have picks 2 and 3, then we would just alternate from there on and out. Of course he took Jordan, I then took Magic and Bird, he took Kareem, I then took Wilt to counter him, etc.. Fun days back in the early the 90's.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Meh, they practically got the last two super bowl victories handed to them by their opponent.  They will rightfully be the heavy favorites in the mediocre afc, but they are far from a sure thing.

i just got the sarcasm....

22 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Also with or without Blount you might as well gift wrap their rings now.  They won the SB last year and they only got better in the offseason and made a lot of win now moves.

The positive end of that is that I think Tom Brady might be close to calling it quits.  Pats don't usually make a lot of win now moves.  But this last offseason they traded their first and second round picks away for some players and signed one of the top FA CB's.  Reading between the lines I get the feeling that Brady might have told Belichik that he's planning on retiring after next season and Belichik is trying to make sure that they bring home one more ring with Brady.

I'm also noting that they didn't trade away Garappolo despite the fact that he's only got a year left on his rookie deal and they probably could have gotten at least a 2nd for him.  

I could be wrong but I get the feeling that the Pats are gonna go win themselves another ring.  Brady's gonna retire, and the Pats are going to re-sign Garappolo to be the starter in 2018.  

I've been thinking the same thing, could be 2018/2019 but I think the Brady is about to hang them up. 

On 5/10/2017 at 6:55 PM, ReMeDy said:

Holy smokes is that a bad post.  You think Blount is the straw that stirs the Pats' drink?

Yeah, and I'm getting sick of the Patriot obsession.  (I know I've been guilty.)  They weren't by and large the best team in the league last year, and Blount or Brandin Cook or Dwayne Allen aren't making them invincible.  They're just one of seven or eight teams seemingly out in front now.  

It's not about getting Blount back, it's about getting credit toward compensatory picks if he signs anywhere else. If he had done that after May 9, it would not have counted toward the formula. Belichick loves his comp picks. (So they can be traded down, or for veteran players I guess!)

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah they are they greatest thing ever (Since the Reese's Cup was invented anyway) and I bet people didn't know that Brady can even walk on water. True story, I read it on many Pats Fans Sites and hear on ESPN daily.

LOL.. you know shortly after they won the super bowl some actually questioned if Brady was the best "Athlete" of  all time hahaha

12 hours ago, GoPats said:

It's not about getting Blount back, it's about getting credit toward compensatory picks if he signs anywhere else. If he had done that after May 9, it would not have counted toward the formula. Belichick loves his comp picks. (So they can be traded down, or for veteran players I guess!)

In all seriousness as much as I bash the Pats, I think you guys have a great shot at Repeating.

On 5/11/2017 at 6:26 AM, WoolMagnet said:

Start cying.  Those wiley Pats used a seldom used "loop-hole" to make it difficult for him to sign anywhere.  They will have him this year for 1.1 milion dollars.  

Another kinda  cheesy move by the New England Asterisks.

tho Blount kinda deserves it for what he (with  help and direction from the hoody) did to the Steelers.

gotta give ne credit tho.  They know ALL the rules.  They often don't follow them, but they sure know them.

TenderGate.  Won't be long before the Competition Committee convenes to change the rules.  I'm surprised the Competition Committee hasn't instituted term limits for coaches.  Let's face it, that is the only way to level the playing field.

Ya8AdqbSL818O9R05lKH_1082040758.jpeg

15 hours ago, Archer said:

Yeah, and I'm getting sick of the Patriot obsession.  (I know I've been guilty.)  They weren't by and large the best team in the league last year, and Blount or Brandin Cook or Dwayne Allen aren't making them invincible.  They're just one of seven or eight teams seemingly out in front now.  

Any given team on any given Sunday, but which teams are on your list and in what order?

On 5/10/2017 at 6:55 PM, ReMeDy said:

On 5/11/2017 at 4:27 PM, Superman said:

He's their third best back, and he's 30 years old. I'd rather they keep him than get another comp pick in exchange for losing him.

There's also the slim possibility that he holds out, refusing to sign the tender.

Here is the latest scuttlebutt on Blount-

—Interested teams are trying to work around the May 9 tender the Patriots placed on free agent RB LeGarrette Blount. The May 9 tender allows Blount to remain part of the compensatory pick formula. Blount can negotiate with teams until training camp starts, but if he remains unsigned once training camps open, he can only negotiate with the Patriots through Week 10. It significantly weakens Blount’s market, but teams are trying to find a way around the seldom-used tender the Patriots pulled out.

So, it appears some teams are indeed interested and are trying to find creative ways to sign him irrespective of the tender. Whether they do (in both cases) remains to be seen.

Given who the Pats have signed in the off season, I think it looks like a long shot that Blount will be back in the Pats.   

Unless of course, one of the RBs gets injured and Blount needs to exit stage left again like he did mid game with Pitt and end up on the Pats after waivers a few years ago.  

I think the Steelers were a victim of circumstance with Blount.  :-).  :)

:

On 5/12/2017 at 11:08 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In all seriousness as much as I bash the Pats, I think you guys have a great shot at Repeating.

They didn't really lose anyone of consequence and have (on paper, anyway) improved in a couple of areas. But I'm never one to get ahead of things... it's a long season and a lot of things can go wrong! 

12 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Best NFL meme ever lmao And it wasn't even called memes back then, damn I feel old right now. lmao

"The Bears are who we thought they were" is probably my favorite coaching rant of all time. Nothing tops that.

I even remember watching it live too.

Based on the contract value, it's possible the Pats don't wind up getting a comp pick for Blount. I don't think they would, if the comp pick system is based on base contract value, without incentives.

But, they work the heck out of the comp system. They got a 5th round comp pick in 2017 for losing Akiem Hicks, a player they didn't even draft and only had for one season. They are line for comp picks in 2018 for Sheard and Bennett, also players they didn't draft and only had for a short time.

This is the hidden potential value of Ballard's short term contracts for guys like Hunt, Mingo, Aiken, Bostic, Spence, Schwenke... if they have decent seasons and earn contracts from other teams, they factor into the 2019 draft comp formula for the Colts, and might bring back a comp pick. We don't have a lot of drafted players that will be demanding new contracts, and guys like Mewhort and Moncrief are probably in the team's plans (I hope). It's not a huge benefit next offseason, but if Ballard continues to bring in young guys on short deals, and if some of them hit for us, it might help us add draft picks.